ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment Classifications

Beds are misleading with DB, they are also the highest percent in boys vs girls at 60%. Wonder why that hard work and great tradition isn't helping their girls sports.

Hey smokin Blue, out of curiosity. Have you always complained when you don't like things? Or is this some new midlife crisis?

If open enrollment is the sole argument that makes the playing field level, then I guess I will have to agree to disagree here. I am not saying what private schools are doing is wrong. I am saying the playing field is not fair. Some states have private schools vs each other.

IMO football should have private schools districts for each class. Like 8 man has a private school district. and so on for A-4A. The winner of the district goes to the playoffs and the other schools qualify by using the RPI. If nothing is going to change that would help. In basketball/ wrestling/ baseball/ track they get put into the same substate/ sectional/ district during playoff time.

My frustration with the schools that are dropping is due to them being competitive in their old class. My other frustration is the smaller school class like 1A on down, competes with Private schools from LARGE population areas. Some from 3A towns that are large to huge metro areas like Des Moines, IC, CB, Waterloo, etc. They can pull whoever then need from those areas. I view that as not fair when they have to play against rural competition for championships.

Pull whoever they need to from thoses areas?!?????!!!?!!!?!?!

haha yeah. Just the other day we found this kid chasing a squirrel in the field. He ran a minimum 4.5 and cut like Barry Sanders. We immediately walked up to this kids house, offered him a full scholarship, paid off his moms mortgage, and immediately got him and enrolled and eligible.

what you deem fair and unfair through the scope of sensible logic is deemed whiny and annoying.

Funny how Heelan hasn't been mentioned once in any of this, why? because they're not as successful as they once were? Success of others is your issue? Heelan is in a city that is plenty big and can hand pick kids if they wanted (and have) but open enrollments to public schools are taking over more of Sioux City now a days so that makes it ok?

I thought that being private and in a city guaranteed success. Why aren’t they just getting rid of the non athletic kids and bringing in better players? I am reading here that it’s easy. Open the doors and with minimal effort you are in the final four each year.

I thought that being private and in a city guaranteed success. Why aren’t they just getting rid of the non athletic kids and bringing in better players? I am reading here that it’s easy. Open the doors and with minimal effort you are in the final four each year.

Another, not like Le Mars is huge but I rarely hear of Gehlen poaching a kid from the public school that is much bigger either. In fact, Le Mars had a kid transfer from the public school to Hinton and was a key player on their basketball squad this winter. Does it happen? Probably, but it happens everywhere in every arena, public or private.

I have no issue with private schools in the 2A-4A ranks, it is the lower levels that I have an issue with. It is a clear advantage to winning consistently at those levels in 8 man -1A. most programs at those levels cannot maintain success like the private schools can year in and year out. People keep saying well just get better. Hard to do when you have to compete with a school your size located in population bases that have 10,000 students within a 15-20 mile radius.

You say you have no issues with private schools in the class 2a-4a ranks yet just stated issues with them...Also, I can speak on behalf of Saint Albert and their 4 state titles.All but 4 kids on those 4 teams went to Saint Albert since kindergarten....You think the recruiters at Saint Albert just got lucky with the scholarships they offered right away in the nursery? That one there doc...Look at the way he grabs the bottle...that's an all state wr right there they said....

No schools are successful time and time again because of the tradition. The players buy in to the beliefs. From the top down. Summer workouts are more focus and centralized. Film is enjoyed. Expectations are expected and demanded. It's just different. It's not like that everywhere but schools that are successful have this. Regardless of public and private

Funny how Heelan hasn't been mentioned once in any of this, why? because they're not as successful as they once were? Success of others is your issue? Heelan is in a city that is plenty big and can hand pick kids if they wanted (and have) but open enrollments to public schools are taking over more of Sioux City now a days so that makes it ok?

Actually, Heelan is losing kids to Siouxland Christian. Heelan pulls kids in from all over the place. Look at their girls sports. Boys might be down at the moment, but I would imagine if they dropped down to 2A in a few years they would start to be pretty good again. It happened when they dropped from 4A to 3A.

There’s so much unwarranted hatred towards private schools that I don’t understand. If I’m a parent of a student and they are the best or a top athlete at a mediocre public sports school, and the neighboring public school is winning in multiple sports and has maybe said “hey come on over”, all it takes is filling out one sheet and then that’s recruiting. There’s no rules about it either way, public or private as long it is done in the correct time frame. Get better at your sports, it’s not the state’s job to give you participation medals.- a public school’s fan

Iowa isn't the only having this discussion Minnesota is as well. The only problem is that the private can hand pick their talent in any sports.

Now where I live in Minnesota we have two school one school is private and the other public. The private high school superintendent does it the right away. He made a code of conduct for the coaching staff. If they want a player for basketball but not any other sport. They have to transfer before the season is over for football if they don't they half to sit out 100 days if freshman to junior. Senior have to sit out for 70 days or half a season of the sports.

Most of the time the private school here has the most problems with fights and other stuff. I only know that because my wife is a teacher at the private school. She has to breaks fight up about twice to four times a day.

It's self-apparent that private schools have an significant advantage over public schools.
This is true nationwide.

Regina being a 1A in an area with 75,000 population base & a local legend as a coach, what difference does it make if they are "actively" recruiting?
Don Bosco's access to a large population base & their dominance in men's sports is self-affirming of a competitive advantage that makes things less competitive at the top of both 8 man & wrestling.

Why is this even being argued?
What is the argument?

The only argument I can see would be to have Don Bosco go up to 11 man, because the entire purpose of add 8 man was to negate the kind of competitive advantages "large" A teams had over smaller ones.

Serious question.
If i am a parent, and my kid is good at sports. and has a chance to get noticed, or scholarships. Why would I send him to the public school that goes 1-8 every year, with poor coaching, and then not even have my kid get a centralized and more focused schooling? when I have the chance to, yes pay a tuition, but send him to a school who has good coaching, can get him noticed, and allows him to have a smaller classroom focus? You're telling me you wouldn't do the best for your kid?

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
It's self-apparent that private schools have an significant advantage over public schools.
This is true nationwide.

Regina being a 1A in an area with 75,000 population base & a local legend as a coach, what difference does it make if they are "actively" recruiting?
Don Bosco's access to a large population base & their dominance in men's sports is self-affirming of a competitive advantage that makes things less competitive at the top of both 8 man & wrestling.

Why is this even being argued?
What is the argument?

The only argument I can see would be to have Don Bosco go up to 11 man, because the entire purpose of add 8 man was to negate the kind of competitive advantages "large" A teams had over smaller ones.
Of course they have an advantage being near a large population center. As does Van Meter.

Reactions: falconfanx3
Serious question.
If i am a parent, and my kid is good at sports. and has a chance to get noticed, or scholarships. Why would I send him to the public school that goes 1-8 every year, with poor coaching, and then not even have my kid get a centralized and more focused schooling? when I have the chance to, yes pay a tuition, but send him to a school who has good coaching, can get him noticed, and allows him to have a smaller classroom focus? You're telling me you wouldn't do the best for your kid?
So those not near these private schools with all these great things you mentioned....do what?

Actually the process is 1. the host school must approve the transfer and 2. the accepting school must accept. It isn't simply "come on over". Now if Public student wants to go to private school, the hosting school has zero say so - he only has to be admitted to the private.
Yeah like I said forms are filled out and if done in the correct time frame and providing it’s a student in good standing, the boards will approve it. Different story if it’s done a month late but that’s not the case here.

I guess I am just struggling to believe the post earlier that referenced doing what is best for kid means they should no doubt attend the private school because coaching is better, and the education is far superior. I look at it as the parents will do what they are capable of doing for their child to the best of their ability public or private. If they are good enough, they will get noticed. If they take pride in their education, they will excel. No matter the school they are in.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I won't say which private school this is but

You did not mention "Forms" plural, you did not mention the other stuff you listed this time.

Are there people that private schools are forced, by state law to take? Like those that move into or live in their district? Good and bad students?
Oh no I said form instead of forms and now my argument is totally invalid. I do believe you make a solid point in you second part though, that’s where the biggest disconnect is imo.

I guess I am just struggling to believe the post earlier that referenced doing what is best for kid means they should no doubt attend the private school because coaching is better, and the education is far superior. I look at it as the parents will do what they are capable of doing for their child to the best of their ability public or private. If they are good enough, they will get noticed. If they take pride in their education, they will excel. No matter the school they are in.

You're wrong with the comment if they are good enough they will get noticed. The best player in the state could be hidden on a team that's 1-8 and loses by 49 every game because the opposing team can gameplan to stop him easily. Then the poor kid has no other options. Plus, if the kid is such a stud athlete, he probably plays basketball and baseball which makes it difficult to attend camps and get noticed. Therefor the kid doesn't get noticed and does not get some schooling paid for

You're wrong with the comment if they are good enough they will get noticed. The best player in the state could be hidden on a team that's 1-8 and loses by 49 every game because the opposing team can gameplan to stop him easily. Then the poor kid has no other options. Plus, if the kid is such a stud athlete, he probably plays basketball and baseball which makes it difficult to attend camps and get noticed. Therefor the kid doesn't get noticed and does not get some schooling paid for
Pretty safe bet to assume the best player in the state isn't hidden on a 1-8 team.
Get better coaches? If you have the talent, and the facilities, who should the blame fall on? Not the private schools for the lack of success, but on the coaches for not getting more out of their kids. It's THAT SIMPLE
Not blaming anyone, but not buying the best option is to attend a private school either.

Reactions: KidSilverhair
Pretty safe bet to assume the best player in the state isn't hidden on a 1-8 team.

Not blaming anyone, but not buying the best option is to attend a private school either.

many many good players are hidden on really bad teams.

My point is. If a public school has a bad track record, and bad coaching. Would you not, as a parent, send your kid to the private school to get noticed if he had that capability?

There’s so much unwarranted hatred towards private schools that I don’t understand. If I’m a parent of a student and they are the best or a top athlete at a mediocre public sports school, and the neighboring public school is winning in multiple sports and has maybe said “hey come on over”, all it takes is filling out one sheet and then that’s recruiting. There’s no rules about it either way, public or private as long it is done in the correct time frame. Get better at your sports, it’s not the state’s job to give you participation medals.- a public school’s fan
I have no beef with private schools. I just enjoy hate-trolling dynasties. They're boring......and often exist because of very obvious advantages compared to their competition.

Reactions: Bob321
many many good players are hidden on really bad teams.

My point is. If a public school has a bad track record, and bad coaching. Would you not, as a parent, send your kid to the private school to get noticed if he had that capability?

I agree upgrading the coaching staff is a must in many situations, but that is easier said than done. Many towns depend on small schools to keep going and when they close the towns tend to die off slowly. I can't say what I would do if it were my kid, he will probably be 5'3 and unless he is Muggsy Bogues like it isn't going to matter. I have no background in private school life so naturally I can't say I would gravitate that way.

I agree upgrading the coaching staff is a must in many situations, but that is easier said than done. Many towns depend on small schools to keep going and when they close the towns tend to die off slowly. I can't say what I would do if it were my kid, he will probably be 5'3 and unless he is Muggsy Bogues like it isn't going to matter. I have no background in private school life so naturally I can't say I would gravitate that way.

Agree, but you’ve got it backwards. The schools depend on the small towns to keep going.
And the small towns are dying off slowly with no sign things will ever turn around in that regard.

Can private school pass a bond for new facilities? Can they just start paying their teachers and administrators what the public’s do? Can they pay their coaches as much as the public schools? AD’s? Can small public schools get as much media attention as the public schools? Several on this board spend their time crying about all of the advantages and casually dismiss the disadvantages. One would think that the private schools would be booming with players and enrollment, it doesn’t seem to be the case. Oh I know, they have decided to decrease enrollment and revenue on their descent plan to 8 man. Makes sense.

Of course they have an advantage being near a large population center. As does Van Meter.
Sure.

However the schools that use this advantage year in & year out are private schools.

I seriously don't understand the argument here; It's self-apparent private schools have significant sport advantages over public.

Sure.

However the schools that use this advantage year in & year out are private schools.

I seriously don't understand the argument here; It's self-apparent private schools have significant sport advantages over public.

I am not sure people have disagreed with that premise. In spite of plenty of evidence otherwise people still feel that is the cause of the success and dismiss the advantages of the public schools, dismiss the role that hard work, coaching, tradition, etc. play in the equation.

There are parents that "think" little johnny is a D1 athlete, only to go to a different school and he never sniffs the field. Seen it happen.

I’ve seen this quite a bit from private to public too.
Kids think some success in 1A is going to translate to 4A and often it doesn’t. There are kids who were very good that transferred to City/West/Liberty and now they play JV.

Private schools in big cities or towns have no business playing against smaller schools without those advantages is my main arguing point. A rural district does not have the same advantages as a private school in a big city. Even if their BEDs are similar. How do you fix it? All I am saying is push those schools up a class. See if they have that sustained success they have had in a smaller class.

Now if the IHSAA would do something about schools with BEDs of 133 playing 8 man football that would be nice too.

Private schools in big cities or towns have no business playing against smaller schools without those advantages is my main arguing point. A rural district does not have the same advantages as a private school in a big city. Even if their BEDs are similar. How do you fix it? All I am saying is push those schools up a class. See if they have that sustained success they have had in a smaller class.

Now if the IHSAA would do something about schools with BEDs of 133 playing 8 man football that would be nice too.

Are you closing open enrollment as well? Foreign exchange programs? Investigating how top athletes at public schools seem to live at the same address? To keep it fair. Going to give private schools the ability to have bond issues? The ability to use their tax dollars rather then send them to the public schools?
Maybe you should just say ‘thank you’ for the tax dollars to fund your school.

There are many advantages out there, most of which can be attributed to socioeconomic status. Better facilities, equipment, camps, and coaches (due to pay, history of success, demographics) lead to both higher chances for success and potentially more move-ins who weigh in athletic achievement before moving. Couple that with the proximity to bigger cities with more employment options and you start to multiply those advantages, especially the smaller the school district is.

Don't get me wrong, you have to work hard to achieve success. Privilege, like athleticism, can be wasted and underutilized. But just like athleticism, your baseline is raised the more you have it.

And as an aside, I think there should be a ban on some of the unnecessary equipment that is currently allowed but utilized mostly by wealthier schools to the disadvantage of other schools. This includes sideline replay capabilities and ball dryers. If both teams have them, fine use them. If one doesn't, can't use it. This isn't college or the NFL where all teams have the capability to have these tools at their disposal. Heck, even the NFL doesn't allow replay on the sidelines.

There are many advantages out there, most of which can be attributed to socioeconomic status. Better facilities, equipment, camps, and coaches (due to pay, history of success, demographics) lead to both higher chances for success and potentially more move-ins who weigh in athletic achievement before moving. Couple that with the proximity to bigger cities with more employment options and you start to multiply those advantages, especially the smaller the school district is.

Don't get me wrong, you have to work hard to achieve success. Privilege, like athleticism, can be wasted and underutilized. But just like athleticism, your baseline is raised the more you have it.

And as an aside, I think there should be a ban on some of the unnecessary equipment that is currently allowed but utilized mostly by wealthier schools to the disadvantage of other schools. This includes sideline replay capabilities and ball dryers. If both teams have them, fine use them. If one doesn't, can't use it. This isn't college or the NFL where all teams have the capability to have these tools at their disposal. Heck, even the NFL doesn't allow replay on the sidelines.

This is a joke right? Plase, please, please....tell me you are joking

You can't possibly be this dumb

Are you closing open enrollment as well? Foreign exchange programs? Investigating how top athletes at public schools seem to live at the same address? To keep it fair. Going to give private schools the ability to have bond issues? The ability to use their tax dollars rather then send them to the public schools?

This is asinine.

The answer is because there is a "line" for competitiveness. That's the entire idea behind the different classes. ("Why should bigger schools be punished for helping more students, should they just force some students not to get an education? Is that what you want, less high school grads? HUH?" DO YOU!!1!")

I'm not entirely sure how it should be resolved, but to pretend that a large percentage private schools don't have an advantage over their peers that is every bit as substantial as BEDs number is just denying observable fact.

Reactions: CalmHawk
Wow! Glad to see you’re either 12 or you haven’t hit maturity yet. Either way I suppose it renders your opinion worthless tbh.

Good job message board hero. You win!

haha it's banter, relax cowboy. Also, You're the one who wanted to ban sideline hudl and ball dryers on the sideline cause it caused an "unfair advantage"
but whatever you say. I'll go back to my hero bat cave now.

how does open enrollment help a district that is 50 miles away from a metro area as opposed to a private school in a metro area? are those metro area athletes or parent going to have their kid go 50 miles or even 30 miles to a rural area for school?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT