ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment Classifications

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
Jeff Linder of the CR Gazette tweeted the timeline of when things will happen for realignment when it comes to football district, it goes as follows

Mid January- Schools are notified of their classification
Late January- Districts are released
February- Schools submit non-district opponents they would like
Early March- Schedules are released

If classifications are going to be released within 2 weeks it got me interested in teams that may be moving up or down. This is based off of last years BEDS numbers grade 8-10 which would/could be this years 9-11 which is what it will be based upon. Parochial school information is much harder to find, and you could see a lot of movement in those schools depending on if they may have a big or small class going through.

This also depends on how many teams they have in the respective classes. If it stays at 42,54,54,54, remaining 11 man, then 8 man teams. Here is what I see.

3A to 4A: Iowa City Liberty
4A to 3A: Burlington

2A to 3A: Benton

Teams on 3A/2A Bubble: Assumption, Heelan, South Tama, Boyden Hull-Rock Valley, West Burlington ND, CPU, Nevada, Solon, Vinton Shellsburg, Independence

2A/1A Bubble:
Camanche
PCM
Garner-Hayfield-Ventura
New Hampton
Prairie Valley
Red Oak
Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont
Odebolt Arthur Battle Creek Ida Grove
West Lyon
Okoboji
Shenandoah
Kuemper
DSM Christian

All of these schools are at the bottom of 2A, then there is a 15 student gap to the top of 1A which is

Waterloo Columbus
Unity Christian
Osage
Pocahontas Area
Jesup
Treynor

So more then likely the only switch between 1A and 2A would be West Lyon and Waterloo Columbus, however with that many parochial schools there could be more.

The 1A/A Gap is a lot tighter, I would say that Cardinal will move up more then likely, after that there are a ton of teams on that line between 1A and A

Bellevue
Pleasantville
Central Decatur
Ridge View
Central Springs

Pekin
Tri-Center
Alta-Aurelia
MFL MarMac
Postville
Regina
Colfax-Mingo
West Monona
IKM-Manning
North Linn
Lake Mills

If things stay this way Central Springs would be the smallest 1A school and Pekin would be the biggest A school, there have been rumors of Regina wanting to play up, and I'm going off of this years enrollment so if their class they graduate is a smaller one then they could go 1A really easily.

North Cedar, Madrid and Columbus will almost certainly move down

A/8man

I haven't heard of any schools for sure moving down from 11 man to 8 man, so I made a list of 8 man schools above the cutoff of 120, the state said 2 years ago that they would make these schools play 11 man, no exemptions like in the past, I am sure that some may choose to play 8 man but not be eligible for the playoffs which could be another possibility.

Schools above 120
Easton Valley (right at 120)
Northwood Kennsett
Lone Tree
Newell Fonda
Iowa Valley
New London
AGWSR
Sidney

Current 11 man schools below 120 man, I haven't heard of any moving down for sure
Martensdale-St Marys
Gehlen
Garrigan
GMG
North Mahaska
North Tama County
Graettinger-Terril/RV
Newman

Jeff Linder of the CR Gazette tweeted the timeline of when things will happen for realignment when it comes to football district, it goes as follows

Mid January- Schools are notified of their classification
Late January- Districts are released
February- Schools submit non-district opponents they would like
Early March- Schedules are released

If classifications are going to be released within 2 weeks it got me interested in teams that may be moving up or down. This is based off of last years BEDS numbers grade 8-10 which would/could be this years 9-11 which is what it will be based upon. Parochial school information is much harder to find, and you could see a lot of movement in those schools depending on if they may have a big or small class going through.

This also depends on how many teams they have in the respective classes. If it stays at 42,54,54,54, remaining 11 man, then 8 man teams. Here is what I see.

3A to 4A: Iowa City Liberty
4A to 3A: Burlington

2A to 3A: Benton

Teams on 3A/2A Bubble: Assumption, Heelan, South Tama, Boyden Hull-Rock Valley, West Burlington ND, CPU, Nevada, Solon, Vinton Shellsburg, Independence

2A/1A Bubble:
Camanche
PCM
Garner-Hayfield-Ventura
New Hampton
Prairie Valley
Red Oak
Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont
Odebolt Arthur Battle Creek Ida Grove
West Lyon
Okoboji
Shenandoah
Kuemper
DSM Christian

All of these schools are at the bottom of 2A, then there is a 15 student gap to the top of 1A which is

Waterloo Columbus
Unity Christian
Osage
Pocahontas Area
Jesup
Treynor

So more then likely the only switch between 1A and 2A would be West Lyon and Waterloo Columbus, however with that many parochial schools there could be more.

The 1A/A Gap is a lot tighter, I would say that Cardinal will move up more then likely, after that there are a ton of teams on that line between 1A and A

Bellevue
Pleasantville
Central Decatur
Ridge View
Central Springs

Pekin
Tri-Center
Alta-Aurelia
MFL MarMac
Postville
Regina
Colfax-Mingo
West Monona
IKM-Manning
North Linn
Lake Mills

If things stay this way Central Springs would be the smallest 1A school and Pekin would be the biggest A school, there have been rumors of Regina wanting to play up, and I'm going off of this years enrollment so if their class they graduate is a smaller one then they could go 1A really easily.

North Cedar, Madrid and Columbus will almost certainly move down

A/8man

I haven't heard of any schools for sure moving down from 11 man to 8 man, so I made a list of 8 man schools above the cutoff of 120, the state said 2 years ago that they would make these schools play 11 man, no exemptions like in the past, I am sure that some may choose to play 8 man but not be eligible for the playoffs which could be another possibility.

Schools above 120
Easton Valley (right at 120)
Northwood Kennsett
Lone Tree
Newell Fonda
Iowa Valley
New London
AGWSR
Sidney

Current 11 man schools below 120 man, I haven't heard of any moving down for sure
Martensdale-St Marys
Gehlen
Garrigan
GMG
North Mahaska
North Tama County
Graettinger-Terril/RV
Newman

The numbers you are using are last years numbers, correct? Last time I checked the BEDS from this year weren't posted yet so the numbers may have changed a bit.

It's always an exciting time of year for coaches, players and fans. Same feeling I had as a 6 year old kid waiting for Christmas morning!
A few observations from your data:
-If Solon dropped to 2A they'd most certainly dominate.
-Crazy that New Hampton is close to 1A size now, their enrollment has really declined in the last 20 years!
-My gut tells me if Regina is Class A size they will play Class A ball(nothing to base this on), I just don't think they'd play up.
-Postville enrollment is increasing steadily, they are one that is almost certain to go up to 1A from sources within that district.

Things will heat up on this message board as soon as they come out with the new districts, that's for sure!

I'm using the BEDS numbers from the grades that will represent the numbers for next year, yes there can be changes, but they are not usually too big. The parochial schools are the ones where there can be the biggest differences as I just used their number from this year, so if they had a big or small class their number can change greatly.

New Hampton probably won't be that close to the break, I forgot that they have a small Catholic School that goes through 8th grade that would influence these numbers, sorry about that, but yes they are still a shrinking district.

I agree on Postville, they thing that could keep them in A is the fact that the cutoff to 1A/A is about 10 kids higher then 2 years ago.

I'm using the BEDS numbers from the grades that will represent the numbers for next year, yes there can be changes, but they are not usually too big. The parochial schools are the ones where there can be the biggest differences as I just used their number from this year, so if they had a big or small class their number can change greatly.

New Hampton probably won't be that close to the break, I forgot that they have a small Catholic School that goes through 8th grade that would influence these numbers, sorry about that, but yes they are still a shrinking district.

I agree on Postville, they thing that could keep them in A is the fact that the cutoff to 1A/A is about 10 kids higher then 2 years ago.

What was the cutoff 2 years ago between 1A/A? I'm guessing around 156??

Hudson will be up to class 1A as will Postville. Probably more 8 man schools moving back up than schools going down to 8 man.

Those beds that they will use for the next cycle havent been reased yet as far as I know.

They haven't been, but you can use the ones from last year in grades 8-10 to get something that will be pretty close for all of the public schools. Parochial schools it is hard to find a grade by grade list. In doing this before most of the numbers are within 5 most of the time. Only the schools with multiple high schools are hard to say for sure, mainly Cascade because they are with Western Dubuque, and schools that have a parochial school that goes through 8th grade.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
I wouldnt use the beds your using because their are some bigger differences than you might think. Like I said Hudson will be a solid 1A team along with Postville and another team in North Linn from what I heard will definatley be down to class A again. EdCo is 1 to 2 students from 8 man and I think North Tama could go 8 man but they wont.

I wouldnt use the beds your using because their are some bigger differences than you might think. Like I said Hudson will be a solid 1A team along with Postville and another team in North Linn from what I heard will definatley be down to class A again. EdCo is 1 to 2 students from 8 man and I think North Tama could go 8 man but they wont.
North tama will not go 8 man just on a pride thing ever. If they did it would be very shocking. Also ed co will not go 8 man even if below the breaker when they are competive in class a right now. Maybe if they were really bad not winning games

North tama will not go 8 man just on a pride thing ever. If they did it would be very shocking. Also ed co will not go 8 man even if below the breaker when they are competive in class a right now. Maybe if they were really bad not winning games
Don't be so positive about EdCo as their numbers on the lower levels are very small, they may stay 11 man this rotation but from the people that I know from that community they will more than likely go 8 man after that just on a shear numbers standpoint. After this incoming senior class they drop way off in a hurry.

Don't be so positive about EdCo as their numbers on the lower levels are very small, they may stay 11 man this rotation but from the people that I know from that community they will more than likely go 8 man after that just on a shear numbers standpoint. After this incoming senior class they drop way off in a hurry.
Obviously talking this cycle why would I be assuming things in 3 years when a lot can change. After they lose the rochford kid they won’t be nearly as competitive id assume which is just a assumption since they were good before

I'm hearing state is going 8 games and 32 playoff qualifiers

Also hearing they will be adding a 5A class

Interesting. Did you get this from a reliable inside source? Classifications should be out anytime, I've never heard about adding another class.

AD's in 4A are meeting in Boone this Friday... Should be released Friday afternoon is what I have heard.

Reactions: IGo42

No issues with the possibility of a 5A, but 8 games?

and half the teams in a class making the PO’s is only fine if they can keep games with 6 days in between.

Last edited:
Jeff Linder and Jeff Johnson made a weekly video about high school sports and said that stuff will be coming out on Thursday the 23rd. Look for changes to the biggest class, which might mean making another class or reducing the number of teams in 4A (or call it 5A) and then adding some to the remaining classes.

No issues with the possibility of a 5A, but 8 games?

and half the teams in a class making the PO’s is only fine if they can keep games with 6 days in between.
The argument for going to 8 games is so they keep playoffs 6 days apart and be done by Thanksgiving while allowing 32 teams in playoffs. I perosnally think that is dumb. guarantee the kids 9 games, too much work put in for only 8 games, while other sports play 25-40 games or wrestle 50 matches. I see this as another hit to footbal participation numbers.

Last edited:
The argument for going to 8 games is so they keep playoffs 6 days apart and be done by Thanksgiving while allowing 32 teams in playoffs. I perosnally think that is dumb. guarantee the kids 9 games, too much work put in for only 8 games, while other sports play 25-40 games or wrestle 50 matches. I see this as another hit to footbal participation numbers.

Agreed...if they are going to reduce football's regular season by over 11%, then reduce all the other sport regular seasons by that same amount. 3-4 fewer basketball games, 5-6 baseball games, etc. You'd cut a week off everyone's regular season and then maybe, just maybe the seasons wouldn't have to overlap so much and we'd be getting those 3, 4, 5 sport kids a break between seasons. But I'm guessing losing that many games in all the other sports would be a travesty, so we'll just take away from football.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
I would think it’s adding 5A or going to >16 teams in playoffs not both. By adding a class more teams are making the playoffs.

I have no insider information, but in talking with a few different people I think it is a possibility that we see something like this.

5 classes of 11 man football like we do now. 1 class of 8 man football. With 32 teams making it per class. 8 game schedule hopefully with sister districts for a 9th game for teams not qualifying. The question that I heard from more then one person is will qualifying team have to loose JV/freshman games or will they try to find a way to play 9.

4A- Top 32 team with a push to try to get the top 32 most competitive teams, right now depending on what Iowa City Liberty's number is you may see Des Moines North and Urbandale switch. This is tricky but I think they want a trial to look at multipliers or reverse multipliers similar to a system laid out by Dan Sabers. If you make the class 32 teams then most of the competitive teams are in the top 32. With this in the top class all teams would qualify. Maybe ideal, but I think they are trying to start the discussion on overall competitive fairness. Meaning that we are not trying to make everyone a winner, but also avoid the 84-0 beat downs.

3A, 2A, 1A, and A approximately 64 team. Possibly fewer for 3A. You would have a big difference between the top of 3A with schools that average about 325 kids a class and the bottom of 3A with schools around 120 kids a class, so that could be an issue that arises. But I think that many of those schools at the top are not going to dominate as they are more of the city schools. With 32 teams per class making the playoffs.

8 man would also have 32 teams make it.

I do think that there is also a chance that they add an additional class of 11 man football and stick with 16 teams. If that happens I think you see the class sizes at 32, 40, 48, 48, 48, 56 or something close to that.

Last edited:
There are approximately 130 FBS Division 1 schools and the NCAA allows 4 teams in the PO’s. Are there those who believe this number should be larger, sure and yet nobody (at least who is serious) can claim that of the last 5 years champions: LSU, Clemson, AL, Clemson & AL, were not only the best teams in the PO’s but the nation. The point, if the desire is to include all the competitive teams (and some less so) in the PO’s, there’s no need to expand the PO eligible teams beyond 16...unless there’s an alternative motivation...and that’s a whole other issue.

There are approximately 130 FBS Division 1 schools and the NCAA allows 4 teams in the PO’s. Are there those who believe this number should be larger, sure and yet nobody (at least who is serious) can claim that of the last 5 years champions: LSU, Clemson, AL, Clemson & AL, were not only the best teams in the PO’s but the nation. The point, if the desire is to include all the competitive teams (and some less so) in the PO’s, there’s no need to expand the PO eligible teams beyond 16...unless there’s an alternative motivation...and that’s a whole other issue.
I agree with you even though many don't. No 17-32 seed is going to win the title. I hope they keep it at 16.

High School football in Iowa is not the same as FBS football. The teams in Iowa play schedules against teams from all different classes, which leads to incredibly uneven schedules. The schedules are dictated by the state with very little choice from the schools. If you use an RPI system that makes overall wins the highest portion of the equation there will ultimately be teams ranked much lower than they should be and vice versa. The only way to make sure you get the best 16 teams into the playoffs is let more than 16 in because the ranking system is flawed.

The bigger question to me is why do people care if there are 32 teams? How does that hurt anyone? Do you want to only allow 16 teams or individuals in all other sports? Just the top 16 wrestlers in each weight class get a shot at the post season? Playoff football is the most exciting sporting event in a community each year. Why do people feel the need to shrink it?

Just for the record, in 2017 Williamsburg and Union were the 2 "at-large" teams that made the 16 team field for 2A. Both teams made the Dome and Williamsburg played for the title. So to say that only the top few teams have a shot is not true. You are dealing with 15-18 year old kids, anything is possible.

Reactions: DawgPoundGreat
High School football in Iowa is not the same as FBS football. The teams in Iowa play schedules against teams from all different classes, which leads to incredibly uneven schedules. The schedules are dictated by the state with very little choice from the schools. If you use an RPI system that makes overall wins the highest portion of the equation there will ultimately be teams ranked much lower than they should be and vice versa. The only way to make sure you get the best 16 teams into the playoffs is let more than 16 in because the ranking system is flawed.

The bigger question to me is why do people care if there are 32 teams? How does that hurt anyone? Do you want to only allow 16 teams or individuals in all other sports? Just the top 16 wrestlers in each weight class get a shot at the post season? Playoff football is the most exciting sporting event in a community each year. Why do people feel the need to shrink it?

Just for the record, in 2017 Williamsburg and Union were the 2 "at-large" teams that made the 16 team field for 2A. Both teams made the Dome and Williamsburg played for the title. So to say that only the top few teams have a shot is not true. You are dealing with 15-18 year old kids, anything is possible.
How many teams do you want in? You want 32 because 1 or 2 deserving teams may not get in due to schedule. Win the games. Are you going to shorten the season. Or are you going to go back to the ridiculous Friday-Wednesday-Monday-Friday schedule that 32 teams had.

You want all teams to qualify because they do in every other sport? Not even going to consider the logistics of that for football.

yes anything is possible for one game. But that’s why they play the regular season, it weeds out the contenders and pretenders.

How many teams do you want in? You want 32 because 1 or 2 deserving teams may not get in due to schedule. Win the games. Are you going to shorten the season. Or are you going to go back to the ridiculous Friday-Wednesday-Monday-Friday schedule that 32 teams had.

You want all teams to qualify because they do in every other sport? Not even going to consider the logistics of that for football.

yes anything is possible for one game. But that’s why they play the regular season, it weeds out the contenders and pretenders.

You stole most of my thunder and are spot on. I would also add, I’m not necessarily against the concept of expanding the PO field, HOWEVER, it should NOT be done with a shortened rest between games and I keep hearing the state is unable to get the Dome Thanksgiving weekend so unless the IHSAA is wiling to start the season a week earlier... But again, when 1 vs 32 (along with half or more first round games) play to a continuous clock drubbing just to pacify the inclusion crowd...

You stole most of my thunder and are spot on. I would also add, I’m not necessarily against the concept of expanding the PO field, HOWEVER, it should NOT be done with a shortened rest between games and I keep hearing the state is unable to get the Dome Thanksgiving weekend so unless the IHSAA is wiling to start the season a week earlier... But again, when 1 vs 32 (along with half or more first round games) play to a continuous clock drubbing just to pacify the inclusion crowd...
The state assoc doesn't have the choice to start a week earlier because your state legislature basically wont allow it because again it will interfere with state fair. The payoffs will not go back to the wed monday formula but I do expect it to go back to 32 teams in all classes except 4A and they will be 16 because they have the least amount of teams. Thirty two teams will all district champs and the rest at large gets you the very best teams in the state playing in the post season. Those that keep saying it is watered down, compared to what???? If we had 32 teams last fall all teams in at least 3 or 4 of the classes would have had a winning record going into the playoffs. The state sets the schedule and teams have no choice in that so if your in a tough district your 3rd or 4th place team has a shot in the at large and would more than likley beat another districts champion or runner up.

Reactions: dtk913
The state assoc doesn't have the choice to start a week earlier because your state legislature basically wont allow it because again it will interfere with state fair. The payoffs will not go back to the wed monday formula but I do expect it to go back to 32 teams in all classes except 4A and they will be 16 because they have the least amount of teams. Thirty two teams will all district champs and the rest at large gets you the very best teams in the state playing in the post season. Those that keep saying it is watered down, compared to what???? If we had 32 teams last fall all teams in at least 3 or 4 of the classes would have had a winning record going into the playoffs. The state sets the schedule and teams have no choice in that so if your in a tough district your 3rd or 4th place team has a shot in the at large and would more than likley beat another districts champion or runner up.
Going off the rpi after week 9; 3A would have 8 teams at 5-4 and 3 teams at 4-5, 2A would have 8 teams at 5-4, 4 teams at 4-5 and 1 team at 3-6, 1A would have 12 teams at 5-4, 1 team at 4-5 and 1 team at 3-6, A would have 10 teams at 5-4, 2 teams at 4-5, and 8 man would have 3 teams at 5-4, and 4 teams at 4-5.

That’s 16 teams with a losing record and 41 teams at 5-4. 7 teams at 5-4 would have been left out. This is what people want with 32 teams. Congrats you made the playoffs, 60% of teams did, here’s your participation banner to hang up.

Going off the rpi after week 9; 3A would have 8 teams at 5-4 and 3 teams at 4-5, 2A would have 8 teams at 5-4, 4 teams at 4-5 and 1 team at 3-6, 1A would have 12 teams at 5-4, 1 team at 4-5 and 1 team at 3-6, A would have 10 teams at 5-4, 2 teams at 4-5, and 8 man would have 3 teams at 5-4, and 4 teams at 4-5.

That’s 16 teams with a losing record and 41 teams at 5-4. 7 teams at 5-4 would have been left out. This is what people want with 32 teams. Congrats you made the playoffs, 60% of teams did, here’s your participation banner to hang up.
Congrats to all other sports 100% of you made the post season even those with 0 wins. It is funny that people complain but in the survey taken last year with I beleive 97% of the schools as well as the ADs responding that well over 80% wanted back to 32 teams and get rid of the 3rd criteria of the RPI witch no team has control over. The schools and ADs have spoken, plan on 32 wether you like it or not.

Just curious, if all classes except 4A would have 32 teams In PO’s (5 rounds vs 4) how would the extra/idle week be handled in 4A, have a two week layoff between semifinals and finals?

Last edited:
Congrats to all other sports 100% of you made the post season even those with 0 wins. It is funny that people complain but in the survey taken last year with I beleive 97% of the schools as well as the ADs responding that well over 80% wanted back to 32 teams and get rid of the 3rd criteria of the RPI witch no team has control over. The schools and ADs have spoken, plan on 32 wether you like it or not.
They made the postseason yes, but not to state, just districts or regionals then substate before state tournament.

But association will eat it up because all they see is $$$$. How many upsets were there in the round of 32 and what is the average score?

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Just curious, if all classes except 4A would have 32 teams In PO’s (5 rounds vs 4) how would the extra/idle week handled in 4A?

Way back when, it was A-3A first round (on Wednesday) and 4A regular season (Friday), with 4A starting its postseason the following week.

They made the postseason yes, but not to state, just districts or regionals then substate before state tournament.

But association will eat it up because all they see is $$$$. How many upsets were there in the round of 32 and what is the average score?
Whats the ave score in the 1st rd of the baseball and basketball post season games, or the wrestling post season sectionls of the 1 seed vs the 8 seed or that track kid who is slow but is in a heat for the right to move on or that golfer who regularly puts up bogeys but is right in the hunt in the post season. Every single game in football is a sectional or district championship game because if you happen to lose just once or twice your season hopes could be over based on a sched you cant control. the bottom line is even 32 teams is not letting everyone in. People keep saying well football is different, how, its played by the exact same high school teenagers as all the other sports. the only thing thats different football cant have poor games or get away with early season injuries because unlike all other sports every single game matters just to get to the postseason.

I have heard whispers that Dome availability via UNI is not the entire reason that they don’t play Thanksgiving weekend. Has anyone else heard that?

Reactions: 3buzzmable
Yes state guys don't want to mess with their Thanksgiving plans. But i would think that it would increase attendance
Doesn’t seem to be an issue in IL, they’ve had the championships on the weekend after thanksgiving for years. They also rotate the venue every other year between Champaign and DeKalb.

I would add, as much as I dislike the playing surface at the Dome, you never have to worry about the elements.

Have you been on the surface they put in a couple of years ago? Much better then the surface they had improperly installed in 2009 (Troy Dannen was cheap and a terrible AD) and obviously better then the old sand paper on cement there had for years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT