Realignment Classifications

MepoDawg#

Varsity
Oct 29, 2012
Mediapolis
7 in a district means each team will need a non-district game in a specific week (between weeks 3-9), which leads back to the necessity of a sister district for at least that one game. That effectively cuts the number of non-district games that the school can request to 2 (weeks 1-2).
How many times does a school get more than 2 of their requested non-district opponents?

KidSilverhair

Varsity
Aug 31, 2008
www.thirdandamile.blogspot.com
7 in a district means each team will need a non-district game in a specific week (between weeks 3-9), which leads back to the necessity of a sister district for at least that one game. That effectively cuts the number of non-district games that the school can request to 2 (weeks 1-2).
Remember you can play outside your class, too, so that opens up the “sister district” thing at least a little bit. Xavier, for example, played 4A Dowling, 3A Assumption, and 1A Regina for non-district games in 2014-15. But yes, districts with an odd number of teams have their unique challenges, you are right.

Still worth it so all the district champs get a home game, in my opinion.

KidSilverhair

Varsity
Aug 31, 2008
www.thirdandamile.blogspot.com
Another idea, to have 8 districts with an even number of members ... go to 48 across the board. Use your “success model” or whatever to bring the top 8 from 3A into 4A, then 48 in 3A/2A/1A. That would end up with 70 teams in A, if my math is right.

RoundMound1

Freshman
Nov 1, 2012
Agreed. It also surprises me. I know I don't know BEDS data well, but it sure seems like every time I drive HW 1 north out of Iowa City that area is sure booming in terms of housing. I suspect the real issue is that I don't really know/understand where the new North Liberty school is drawing from.
Actually, Solon's BEDS number is relatively unchanged (around 350). Their "drop" to 2A is due to a couple other schools leapfrogging them in population (Benton, BH-RV) and 4A dropping to 40 teams. Solon has always been one of the bottom schools in 3A BEDS numbers since they moved up around 10 years ago.

RoundMound1

Freshman
Nov 1, 2012
In 4A at least Waukee is stepping up to the plate to do the right thing for their students and splitting the district up (just as Ankeny did earlier). The same can’t be said for Valley...then there’s the 4A private monster...
I get the sentiment, but it's not that easy. Waukee's population is booming, WDM, not so much. Anybody remember when Waukee was 2A about 20 years ago? That said, with Waukee's continued expansion, it makes sense to split to keep the school from overpopulation. That's not the case for WDM, whose school population has stayed somewhat consistent and will stay that way, as WMD, unlike Waukee, is a landlocked district with little room for growth. Why would they split when their school and resources are able to support their population?

Reasoned

Freshman
Oct 25, 2017
I get the sentiment, but it's not that easy. Waukee's population is booming, WDM, not so much. Anybody remember when Waukee was 2A about 20 years ago? That said, with Waukee's continued expansion, it makes sense to split to keep the school from overpopulation. That's not the case for WDM, whose school population has stayed somewhat consistent and will stay that way, as WMD, unlike Waukee, is a landlocked district with little room for growth. Why would they split when their school and resources are able to support their population?
Oh I don’t know, maybe because they’re about twice the enrollment of most other 4A schools! Hey I get the point they’re not growing but then neither are most districts. Perhaps they should investigate redrawing the district boundaries to neighboring schools to balance things out a little. Point is, enrollment wise it’s almost like combining the Bettendorf and Pleasant Valley schools and if that were done for athletics it wouldn’t be pretty.

obfuscating

Freshman
Jan 8, 2016
And, just because I can, how different would things look if the state used 8 districts of 7 teams each in 3A/2A/1A? Having 56 in each class instead of 54 - a simple change that would eliminate the problem of having one district champion have to play their first round playoff game on the road. I mean, come on, IHSAA ... district champions get one benefit! Why screw one of them out of that?

Maquoketa and South Tama would be included in 3A.

OABCIG, Southeast Valley, Clarion-Goldfield-Dows, and Kuemper, Carroll would be added to 2A.

Ridge View, Manson Northwest Webster, Bellevue, Postville, Iowa City Regina, and Woodward Academy would be included in 1A.

That would leave 54 teams in Class A rather than the 60 in the current structure (with AHSTW, Alta-Aurelia, and Tri-Center at the top of the class with enrollments of 156). So instead of 10 districts with 6 members, they'd have 9 districts with 6 members ... and one district champion having to travel in the first round instead of two.

You're welcome, IHSAA. My work is available to you for just a small consultation fee. Give me a ring. :D
Still need a 5A "power" class from the top 4A teams
Then have a 4A class and so on. I would love to see no more than 1.5x the enrollment difference between bottom and top schools.

For instance 5A "Power" Class:
WD Dowling
Bettendorf
CR Wash (or Linn-Mar)
CR Kennedy
Ankeny1
Ankeny2
Cedar Falls
WD Valley
IC West
IC CH
CR Prairie
PV
Waukee1
Waukee 2 (soon to be 2 schools is rumor).
Dub.
SEP
Urb
Johnston
20 teams - 4 5 team "groups" that have only a few cross over and could opt to play "non-group" games against a 4A school with no power penalty.

Just spit-balling.

Redraider906

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2017
That's a solid list. I would increase the number to 24. Add DSM Roosevelt, IA City Liberty as that school is growing very fast. Not sure what the other 2 would be off the top but a 5A is definitely needed.

Reasoned

Freshman
Oct 25, 2017
After reading the proposals on this board and having read many of the school responses to the IHSAA questionnaire, I think it’s important to remember the purpose for the PO change and if the solutions will be effective. If I had to make a prediction, I’d say this new format will do nothing to diminish the top programs in the state and nothing to make the others more competitive. Now, will there be a few more wins at the bottom and a few more losses at the top...perhaps but will this “solution” really work? The more I think about it, the more I’m intrigued by the “super class” of 16 teams (that way all make the PO’s), whose selection is not necessarily by enrollment but competitiveness. Two districts of 8, two “non-district” games. It would be a brutal but competitive schedule for sure.

Reactions: obfuscating
Oct 17, 2017
Why does no one speak of open enrollment when when we talk about the haves and have nots. If you live in urban school district and you were a good athlete why wouldn't you open enroll in a suburban school. Great facility, great coaching, and chance to win. It is forcing small schools to possibly spend money they dont have to keep kids in their districts. This just seems to be widening the gap, and i dont hear about very often.

Gamefly

Freshman
Oct 11, 2014
Similar to Saint Ansgar, whom I assume has been mistaken for a private school in the past as well......

Also, I remember the good ole days of 8-man when it first came back to Iowa. I went to games in Whiting, and I believe Sentral-Fenton as well where they played in the outfield of their baseball venue.

It was interesting to see how they managed to make it multi-purpose along with the bleacher seating along the fenceline.
Those were the good days in st ansgar. When the football field doubled as the outfield for the baseball field, it allowed for the spectators to be right next to the action as there was no track around the field. The temporary bleachers for the visitors were less than desirable though. All new facilities now that are quite nice.

CalmHawk

Freshman
Dec 30, 2014
I think it is fair to question the IHSAA about the 8 man leniency with the 120 number. You get that number down to around 105 and you still have enough teams to particpate in the 8 man class. if 4A only has around 40 schools, not sure why other classes could not do the same.

Sep 10, 2019
I think it is fair to question the IHSAA about the 8 man leniency with the 120 number. You get that number down to around 105 and you still have enough teams to particpate in the 8 man class. if 4A only has around 40 schools, not sure why other classes could not do the same.
I'm ok with the 120 number as the cutoff for 8-man football as participation overall has gone down statewide. I just don't know how IAHSAA can say that's the cutoff and then not stick with it. I would think any school that wanted to play 8-man could and would have the upperhand in a legal battle as the IAHSAA hasn't upheld that rule for any other schools. They opened a can of worms they should have left closed. What about some school with 144 kids like Alburnett who had a down year in 11 man, and then a 166 school like Central Springs who also wasn't competitive in 11 man, who's to tell them no if they said they want to go 8-man...

Last edited:
Reactions: GOPANTHERS23

Pinehawk

All State
Sep 16, 2003
I don't care what the number is. Make it 133 if that's what it basically is. But, once you set the number, the state should really stick with it.

But, then again, I don't even like the idea of 8 man football. Play the game as designed. Combine school districts if needed.
We don't allow other sports to downsize the game. There's no 3 v 3 basketball, 7 v 7 soccer, etc.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23

NWIAorBUST

Freshman
Aug 30, 2019
I don't care what the number is. Make it 133 if that's what it basically is. But, once you set the number, the state should really stick with it.

But, then again, I don't even like the idea of 8 man football. Play the game as designed. Combine school districts if needed.
We don't allow other sports to downsize the game. There's no 3 v 3 basketball, 7 v 7 soccer, etc.
Hot take.

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
What always has and always will frustrate me are the schools who consistently have 35+ kids out for football but choose to play 8 man, that is not what the game was created to be, it was for a school that may only have 15 kids out in 9-12.

obfuscating

Freshman
Jan 8, 2016
What always has and always will frustrate me are the schools who consistently have 35+ kids out for football but choose to play 8 man, that is not what the game was created to be, it was for a school that may only have 15 kids out in 9-12.
Hello Don Bosco...

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
It's not just them

Newell Fonda had 42 kids out last year
AGWSR 37
New London 38
Iowa Valley 41
Sidney 38
Fremont Mills 42

obfuscating

Freshman
Jan 8, 2016
That's a solid list. I would increase the number to 24. Add DSM Roosevelt, IA City Liberty as that school is growing very fast. Not sure what the other 2 would be off the top but a 5A is definitely needed.
Liberty hasn't proven themselves as a power 4A school, yet. If they continue to grow and (IMHO) change their offense so it is not 98% run they will have the tools to start being a strong program.

Kevin7216

Freshman
Nov 3, 2015
Those 6 schools PNation just listed should be A schools period. The BEDS number says so. It’s not just Don Bosco and other private schools that have an advantage it’s public schools too and the association allows it.

CalmHawk

Freshman
Dec 30, 2014

You have no clue what you are talking about......... Put all schools that play 11 man in 1 class, they all have the same number of players on the field....... easy to see the ignorance in that statement

falconfanx3

Freshman
Feb 24, 2009
The private school bashing is comedy. A lot of sensitive souls out here upset that their kid isn't better, so turns to an untrue bias to bash people who work extremely had. Not saying others don't work just as hard. But the narrative is so repetitive, so whiny, it's pathetic.

Reactions: Pinehawk

Pinehawk

All State
Sep 16, 2003
You have no clue what you are talking about......... Put all schools that play 11 man in 1 class, they all have the same number of players on the field....... easy to see the ignorance in that statement
I'm not talking about all schools in 1 class. I'm talking about all schools playing the game by the official rules. 11 players on the field. 100 yard field.
Not creating a mini version of the game. Especially with schools doing that who don't even need to be. We don't change the fundamental nature and rules of the game for any other sport to accommodate enrollment.

Hwkfn1

Freshman
Oct 24, 2009
I'm not talking about all schools in 1 class. I'm talking about all schools playing the game by the official rules. 11 players on the field. 100 yard field.
Not creating a mini version of the game. Especially with schools doing that who don't even need to be. We don't change the fundamental nature and rules of the game for any other sport to accommodate enrollment.
Combining programs is not easy, and often detrimental to the schools/communities. Even Sigourney-Keota have had their issues with combining their football program. For the schools and communities who play 8-man, it allows those kids to play the game they love with their classmates. If you don't like 8-man, don't watch it.

I do agree that schools that have 30+ on their roster routinely should be playing 11-man.

Pinehawk

All State
Sep 16, 2003
If it were really about just playing, wouldn't playing 11-man give more kids opportunities to participate?

Hwkfn1

Freshman
Oct 24, 2009
If it were really about just playing, wouldn't playing 11-man give more kids opportunities to participate?
Let's say a school only has 5-7 kids out from each class. You might have enough upperclassmen to fill 11 spots (assuming you had one player per position). Now you have to rely on those 11-14 kids to play all special teams or play sophomores and freshmen on special teams. Over the course of a season, those upperclassmen cannot hold up to that many plays, even with the best strength and conditioning program, especially against the top teams. Playing 8-man, now those upperclassmen can get breaks in a game, stay healthy, and allow their team to be competitive, without having to play a 145 pound freshman. You are entitled to your opinion, for sure. But for 69 schools across the state (well, maybe 60) it is the right choice.

EvilMonkeyInTheCloset

Hall of Fame
Feb 25, 2008
Which is why there were only 6-8 teams in the Class when it first was brought back in Iowa.

ToddDoxzon7

Freshman
Aug 20, 2004
Almost 2,000 high schools in America play number reduced football. The most prominent is 8 man. This number increases each year and at a high percentage. Schools need this financially. Traveling to neighboring districts to join there team costs, loses gate, loses school spirit. 8 man works in Iowa. I would guess the chances of 2 8- man classes in the next 1-3 years is high!

Hwkfn1

Freshman
Oct 24, 2009
Almost 2,000 high schools in America play number reduced football. The most prominent is 8 man. This number increases each year and at a high percentage. Schools need this financially. Traveling to neighboring districts to join there team costs, loses gate, loses school spirit. 8 man works in Iowa. I would guess the chances of 2 8- man classes in the next 1-3 years is high!
Great point about the financial costs. It would destroy our athletic budget (not that it is much) to lose home football gates.

Reasoned

Freshman
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, we should consider it fortunate that the state still allows school districts with enrollments so low to remain independent, let alone they’re able to sustain themselves financially. I can see the day coming soon when the state begins to dictate district size and begin consolidating rural...and metro schools...God forbid.

Reactions: Pinehawk

CalmHawk

Freshman
Dec 30, 2014
The private school bashing is comedy. A lot of sensitive souls out here upset that their kid isn't better, so turns to an untrue bias to bash people who work extremely had. Not saying others don't work just as hard. But the narrative is so repetitive, so whiny, it's pathetic.
Private schools pull from all over, not just one district, and have to recruit to survive. That is not untrue. They also have plenty of time to get kids to their campus for visits and such. It is not that their kid is a better athlete, it is that they have the appeal of being "better" than public and pull a few kids from out of district to attend on a regular basis. It is BS to say they are on a level playing field when the numbers do not lie when it comes to championships, dropping down levels to compete for championships, and recruiting other schools on a regular basis.

CalmHawk

Freshman
Dec 30, 2014
Not with a roster of 16-20. At the varsity level it would not work on a year to year basis.

It is fine for you to say these things, but you have never experienced it first hand. So it is easy to be ignorant about it.

CalmHawk

Freshman
Dec 30, 2014
Frankly, we should consider it fortunate that the state still allows school districts with enrollments so low to remain independent, let alone they’re able to sustain themselves financially. I can see the day coming soon when the state begins to dictate district size and begin consolidating rural...and metro schools...God forbid.
That is another debate all together, but not sure what it would solve financially to do this. Especially when a lot of the urban districts are also in the red financially as compared to the smaller rural districts.

Reactions: Reasoned

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
There are very few people who actually want that. Most of the time the small districts in the state are the ones with the most community pride for the school. The biggest issue that I think you see across the state is where schools who should of consolidated didn't because the towns couldn't of gotten along. For example, Reinbeck makes more sense to go with Grundy Center then Gladbrook, Dysart with North Tama then with LaPorte City, Manly with Northwood Kensett then Nora Springs, and on and on and on. But they chose to make funky districts instead of making districts that made more sense.