ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment Classifications

Whole lot of nothing, their 4A system doesn't really do much, the same teams are going to make the playoffs, essentially no changes for the bottom classes, there are still 8 man schools above the 120 line. If they weren't going to do anything we should of had these districts in December.
Only 23% of 8-man teams will make the playoffs.

Whole lot of nothing, their 4A system doesn't really do much, the same teams are going to make the playoffs, essentially no changes for the bottom classes, there are still 8 man schools above the 120 line. If they weren't going to do anything we should of had these districts in December.

Our association is failing the players & coaches in the state of Iowa...

Only in 4A, that is because of Waukee NW joining, not sure how they will do that with an odd number of teams.

Sorry, it actually looks like it is for everyone. It'll be interesting how many changes their are, because their will be some teams that may only have 4 home games for both years.

Last edited:
No concerns about competition in 8 man? How do we get rid of these people? Get people in there that are concerned with all classes instead of the largest ones. 8 man needs a serious overhaul.

So much for having a hard fast rule of 120 for BEDs.

They must like the other classes in the 54 range. I think there are plenty of teams that are petitioning to go down to 8 man and to what advantage? You have 30 plus on the sideline and can play 8? Makes no sense to me why you need to play 8 man. Heck Newell Fonda had 52 kids out last year and are over the BEDs this year I believe.... They should be 11 man but the state thinks it is ok for them to play teams that have a hard time finding 20 kids to play. 8 man is for those type of programs.

Sidney is appealing what? the have been over the count for 4 years and have run out of time and are again over the count. Play 11 man like everyone else does with that many BEDs.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Not sure but after all the shuffling, the “success modeling” and “grouping” has us playing all but one of the same teams as last year. Huey was right, “the more things change, the more they stay the same.”

Reactions: ballboy21
They must like the other classes in the 54 range. I think there are plenty of teams that are petitioning to go down to 8 man and to what advantage? You have 30 plus on the sideline and can play 8? Makes no sense to me why you need to play 8 man. Heck Newell Fonda had 52 kids out last year and are over the BEDs this year I believe.... They should be 11 man but the state thinks it is ok for them to play teams that have a hard time finding 20 kids to play. 8 man is for those type of programs.
Those on the small side of A want to drop because they don't like getting beat up by better and bigger schools. Of course, there's also some who may be on the cusp of winning, but can't get over the hump so they think dropping to 8-man will give them a better chance to win a State title.

Newell-Fonda seems like one of those latter programs given the success they've had in the past in Class A.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Doubtful... Did you see their district... Wowza

I Wonder who hoover will play non district. If not metro schools. I do know they do know Bondurant farrar high school due to their volleyball team playing them the last two years. I won't be surprised if they play them.

Those on the small side of A want to drop because they don't like getting beat up by better and bigger schools. Of course, there's also some who may be on the cusp of winning, but can't get over the hump so they think dropping to 8-man will give them a better chance to win a State title.

Newell-Fonda seems like one of those latter programs given the success they've had in the past in Class A.

I get that, but having that many kids means you have 8 kids to play with 44 on the sideline. And the state has a rule in place where if you are over 120 you move to A. Hopefully that changes. With 130 plus they almost have double the BEDs of some teams that play 8 man.

Solon dropping down is bad news for everyone else in 2A.

Agreed. It also surprises me. I know I don't know BEDS data well, but it sure seems like every time I drive HW 1 north out of Iowa City that area is sure booming in terms of housing. I suspect the real issue is that I don't really know/understand where the new North Liberty school is drawing from.

Solon is always going to be good, but they lost a class that has done a lot over the last 3 years.

I get that, but having that many kids means you have 8 kids to play with 44 on the sideline. And the state has a rule in place where if you are over 120 you move to A. Hopefully that changes. With 130 plus they almost have double the BEDs of some teams that play 8 man.
That’s more than 1A Mediapolis had last year. They were around 45 total with the freshman class being the biggest. Starting to like the idea more and more about using number of male students only, yes some female students play, but not many.

Martinsdale St. Mary drops down
Carroll Kuemper drops down
IC Regina drops down

Anyone else seeing the trend here? Will be interesting to see how the match up with the new competition. I think all could win their districts honestly.

You do know that MSTM is not a parochial school, right?
Ha, I did not know that. My apologies I always thought there were private due to the St. Mary. Growing up next to Remsen St. Mary and Storm Lake St Mary got the best me me.

Not thrilled with the Grandview addition to 8 man though. We all know how that ended up for 1A basketball.

Agreed. It also surprises me. I know I don't know BEDS data well, but it sure seems like every time I drive HW 1 north out of Iowa City that area is sure booming in terms of housing. I suspect the real issue is that I don't really know/understand where the new North Liberty school is drawing from.

I feel 100% the same. Neighborhoods pop up like zits south of CR and north of IC. It seems like Clear Creek Amana will be Waukee soon. What do I know?

I was really surprised to see Martensdale St. Mary's move down since they have a turf field, will they replace it, especially when they are located in a spot that could easily grow.

looks like clarinda academy is not playing football and is danville playing with mount pleasant
Danville does play with Mt. Pleasant. Shared with West Burlington - Notre Dame for a season before that. Danville still goes to Notre Dame to wrestle which also includes West Burlington and then they share cross country with New London and have own sports teams in other sports. Weird set up. Used to wrestle with Mediapolis long ago.

Ha, I did not know that. My apologies I always thought there were private due to the St. Mary. Growing up next to Remsen St. Mary and Storm Lake St Mary got the best me me.

It's tricky. The name of the town is St. Marys. They used to play football in the outfield of the baseball facility.

It's tricky. The name of the town is St. Marys. They used to play football in the outfield of the baseball facility.
Similar to Saint Ansgar, whom I assume has been mistaken for a private school in the past as well......

Also, I remember the good ole days of 8-man when it first came back to Iowa. I went to games in Whiting, and I believe Sentral-Fenton as well where they played in the outfield of their baseball venue.

It was interesting to see how they managed to make it multi-purpose along with the bleacher seating along the fenceline.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT