ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment Classifications

how does open enrollment help a district that is 50 miles away from a metro area as opposed to a private school in a metro area? are those metro area athletes or parent going to have their kid go 50 miles or even 30 miles to a rural area for school?

Why are you so worried about the rural area schools? There are plenty that have success as well in multiple sports. SES, size of school and size of town are all variables for sure but that is not the end all be all of a successful program. Coaching, culture, work ethic are far more important. Talk about how it's easier to have those things at a private school, yes it probably is but it definitely happens at rural public schools too. I'm sorry if yours isn't one of those.

Why are you so worried about the rural area schools? There are plenty that have success as well in multiple sports. SES, size of school and size of town are all variables for sure but that is not the end all be all of a successful program. Coaching, culture, work ethic are far more important. Talk about how it's easier to have those things at a private school, yes it probably is but it definitely happens at rural public schools too. I'm sorry if yours isn't one of those.

I am worried about the competitive balance that small rural areas have as compared to small urban private schools. I feel like it is a fair topic to discuss. There are smaller rural schools that have success, but not sustained success like smaller metro private schools. Sustained success is a big deal, but highly improbable at at small rural public school. It is more probable at a private metro small school. I feel like it is a loophole to being championship caliber each year for those schools.

Case in point here, but what programs have had the dominance of Don Bosco in 8 man football? The answer to that is 0. A case could be made for other private schools in other sports too. Saint Alberts makes the trek to state basketball almost every other year and has for a while now. Grandview Christian lost their 3 time state championship roster and reloaded with a winning program on the year, I think something like 14-8. Small public schools do not have that kind of success due to not having the population to reload and retool like these schools can. I am not sure how you balance it out, but it is not "normal" when these schools do not experience the ups and downs like many public schoosl do in their classes.

In 8 man football the only teams that compete or have beat DB are teams with a BEDs of around 25-30 more than them. RSM is dominating NW Iowa with a BEDs of around 50...... It is not a normal thing for teams in the 80s and especially the 50s to be that good consistently like that. All you have to do is look at the BEDs of those public schools and see how they are competing. Some win or have won, but they go through cycles. Not many cycles happen at the private schools I listed.

Last edited:
RSM has had plenty of years where this success wasn't apparent as well. Outside of baseball because of their culture and tradition, they were always solid at baseball even when not at the other sports. The last couple years have been insane no doubt but they are with kids of the same last names - In other words - Remsen grown kids. Throw in that tailback that came to play for them, sure but an out of state kid moving in isn't avoidable. If there is proof of DB taking in kids from Waterloo on a consistent basis I would 100% agree with you but I don't believe that is the case.

Reactions: falconfanx3
RSM has had plenty of years where this success wasn't apparent as well. Outside of baseball because of their culture and tradition, they were always solid at baseball even when not at the other sports. The last couple years have been insane no doubt but they are with kids of the same last names - In other words - Remsen grown kids. Throw in that tailback that came to play for them, sure but an out of state kid moving in isn't avoidable. If there is proof of DB taking in kids from Waterloo on a consistent basis I would 100% agree with you but I don't believe that is the case.

To give some clarity on that tailback, he moved in to live with the Kuchel's (a family friend and Carter was wideout for that team) for a multitude of different reasons.

I can also vouch that all of their success is with kids that have been in the RSM system their entire school lives for the most part, or at least from Remsen.

To give some clarity on that tailback, he moved in to live with the Kuchel's (a family friend and Carter was wideout for that team) for a multitude of different reasons.

I can also vouch that all of their success is with kids that have been in the RSM system their entire school lives for the most part, or at least from Remsen.

I know that situation well too, I threw in RSM just as on observation as some parents want their kid to attend school in Remsen and not all want them to attend MMCRU, and their has been a lot of recent success after the merger that I have observed. I actually respect the heck out of RSM as they are from a small town and sustaining success at an amazing rate. I do not see it changing much either.

Every year this is the argument. Open enrollment allows the parents to send their kids where ever they want. All schools around larger cities are increasing. Waukee and Van Meter are examples around Des Moines. West Lyon and West Sioux near Sioux Falls. Solon and West Branch near Iowa city. Sgt. Bluff and Woodbury Central near Sioux City. All of these schools have had success in recent years. Many of these families work in the metro area and choose to live in the smaller communities. Should these schools have a multiplier as well.

Every year this is the argument. Open enrollment allows the parents to send their kids where ever they want. All schools around larger cities are increasing. Waukee and Van Meter are examples around Des Moines. West Lyon and West Sioux near Sioux Falls. Solon and West Branch near Iowa city. Sgt. Bluff and Woodbury Central near Sioux City. All of these schools have had success in recent years. Many of these families work in the metro area and choose to live in the smaller communities. Should these schools have a multiplier as well.

No

Are they open enrolling there or living there?

So because a small school has success due to tradition,coaching, students, etc. many many factors....they should be punished because your school has less success because why? Theyre to far away from a big city? Really?

SO then why don't schools like AL or TJ who are in a large city and next to the omaha metro compete? Theyre big schools, in a big city, and based off your points those are the keys to success

Are they open enrolling there or living there?
Does it matter? Will you use a multiplier if they have a larger percentage of open enrollment? I was pointing out that there are smaller Public schools that gain the same so called "advantages" of the private schools in or near larger metro cities.

Reactions: Pinehawk
So because a small school has success due to tradition,coaching, students, etc. many many factors....they should be punished because your school has less success because why? Theyre to far away from a big city? Really?

SO then why don't schools like AL or TJ who are in a large city and next to the omaha metro compete? Theyre big schools, in a big city, and based off your points those are the keys to success

By that token why should there even be different classes based on size?
Is it to punish schools for educating more students?

Reactions: ballboy21
Wow! Glad to see you’re either 12 or you haven’t hit maturity yet. Either way I suppose it renders your opinion worthless tbh.

Good job message board hero. You win!

Don't take offense RoundMound. Falcon has a history of being smug.

Speaking of classifications, it is nice to see Saint Alberts being able to stay at Class A with the addition of Heartland Christian. The Heartland student athletes will be able to conveniently fill that JV roster and practice squad.

Speaking of classifications, it is nice to see Saint Alberts being able to stay at Class A with the addition of Heartland Christian. The Heartland student athletes will be able to conveniently fill that JV roster and practice squad.

Shaming a school for wanting to allow their kids to play competitive varsity football, Sad. You hate to see it. Message board warriors forget that the kids come first. I hope you find the peace and joy you are in such a desperate search for in life.

Yeah, kids always come first....Unless it bumps a school up a class. Then they come a distant 3rd

1st- Kids from Saint Alberts and Heartland come first. It's all about the kids, all the kids. As long as we keep winning
2nd- If Heartland students bump Saint Alberts kids up a class and may cost them a game or playoff opportunity, then we're all for the kids, the Saint Alberts kids
3rd- In a year or so if the enrollment bumps Saint Alberts up a class, those Heartland kids can pound sand

1st- Kids from Saint Alberts and Heartland come first. It's all about the kids, all the kids. As long as we keep winning
2nd- If Heartland students bump Saint Alberts kids up a class and may cost them a game or playoff opportunity, then we're all for the kids, the Saint Alberts kids
3rd- In a year or so if the enrollment bumps Saint Alberts up a class, those Heartland kids can pound sand

just a few questions.

You're extremely bitter, I take it your team loses a lot?
You're probably that guy that sits at a bar and talks about how SA recruits? Maybe even gives scholarships? those pesky Catholics!!
it's actually Saint Albert, no s.

just a few questions.

You're probably that guy that sits at a bar and talks about how SA recruits? Maybe even gives scholarships? those pesky Catholics!!
There is only one question there ;) the rest seem to be generalizations. Now I know in my neck of the woods the only time they reference those pesky catholics is when they talk about what those priests were doing to the altar boys. :eek:

Does it matter? Will you use a multiplier if they have a larger percentage of open enrollment? I was pointing out that there are smaller Public schools that gain the same so called "advantages" of the private schools in or near larger metro cities.
You’re asking the wrong person. I didn’t say anything about a multiplier. I was asking about your comment where you say rural towns near bigger cities have an advantage of open enrollment, but then later say parents work in the metro area and choose to live in the smaller community. Big difference between open enrollment to smaller school and moving the whole family to the smaller community.

There is only one question there ;) the rest seem to be generalizations. Now I know in my neck of the woods the only time they reference those pesky catholics is when they talk about what those priests were doing to the altar boys. :eek:

You must be a pretty low life individual, but I wouldn't expect anything less from scum like you. These message boards are constant whining and crying. You want to beat SA or Regina. Get better, train harder, and find better coaching. Until then, let the keyboard warriors continue to act tough, sitting behind what was most likely an average Jv career at a below average school.

just a few questions.

No, my team does not lose a lot so nothing to be bitter about.
No, I have NEVER mentioned Saint Alberts recruiting in a bar.
Never mentioned Saint Alberts giving scholarships in a bar.
I don't have any issues with Catholics. Attended Catholic services on many occasion. My wife was even a teacher at a Catholic school.

You're not very good at questions/assumptions.

Quick question, Falcon Fan. Are you capable of having arguments with people that disagree with you without attempting to insult them? Just wondering. You do it all the time.

You must be a pretty low life individual, but I wouldn't expect anything less from scum like you. These message boards are constant whining and crying. You want to beat SA or Regina. Get better, train harder, and find better coaching. Until then, let the keyboard warriors continue to act tough, sitting behind what was most likely an average Jv career at a below average school.
This is a well documented topic. You can call me names all you want. All I am saying is every institution has its issues. Earlier posts you wanted me to send my child to private schooling for athletic and academic gain. Am I putting my child in harms way if I do so? I get it doesn’t happen everywhere or maybe in your location but it has been documented to be rampant across America for years and then they tried to hide it by moving priests when the heat is on them. My father went to a catholic school in South Dakota and it happened to his friends. So chastising me for bringing it up makes me believe you’re like the scum who likes to pretend it didn’t happen.

It was a pathetic cheap shot because you were upset.
I’m not sure there are any priests still a part of day to day education at private school.
Plenty of issues with public school teachers as well in the press recently. But, you won’t see private school parents bringing that up to insult public schools.

It was a pathetic cheap shot because you were upset.
I’m not sure there are any priests still a part of day to day education at private school.
Plenty of issues with public school teachers as well in the press recently. But, you won’t see private school parents bringing that up to insult public schools.
Hence why I said all institutions have their issues. Again, I know nothing of private schools other than what I read in the newspaper. If priests aren’t part of the education then they took steps in the right direction to move on from it. Public schools have the same problem. It violates the foundation for which they were both built on. It should be brought up and discussed instead of swept under the rug like nothing happened regardless of the institution. My apologies for bringing it up.

Sadly, most of the reason why we now have this delayed CF in scheduling by the IHSAA has to do with their attempt to address many of the public schools complaints (as confirmed in the school questionnaires) about the perceived private schools dominance in FB (never mind academics) and yes, also an attempt to address (in particular) some of the metro schools concerns of inequity. At the end of the day, as a I heard a coach of a public school comment on this “Hey if we want to beat (fill in the dominant private school), you get better and beat them, don’t complain about it”.

Quick question, Falcon Fan. Are you capable of having arguments with people that disagree with you without attempting to insult them? Just wondering. You do it all the time.

I can have a perfectly calm discussion, and I respect multiple people on this message board and their opinions. Even if I don't agree with them, and yes I love to banter and stir the pot. But I won't stand for dumb comments, or comments about priest, or keyboard warriors who try and take away accomplishment of 16,17,18 year old kids who work their tail off.

I can have a perfectly calm discussion, and I respect multiple people on this message board and their opinions. Even if I don't agree with them, and yes I love to banter and stir the pot. But I won't stand for dumb comments, or comments about priest, or keyboard warriors who try and take away accomplishment of 16,17,18 year old kids who work their tail off.

Which not one of these, not one of them, were mentioned by RoundMound when you told him he couldn't possibly be this dumb. That's a strange way to show respect for other people's opinions

Reactions: ballboy21
Sadly, most of the reason why we now have this delayed CF in scheduling by the IHSAA has to do with their attempt to address many of the public schools complaints (as confirmed in the school questionnaires) about the perceived private schools dominance in FB (never mind academics) and yes, also an attempt to address (in particular) some of the metro schools concerns of inequity. At the end of the day, as a I heard a coach of a public school comment on this “Hey if we want to beat (fill in the dominant private school), you get better and beat them, don’t complain about it”.

What a simple solution! I can't believe other coaches haven't thought about it.

I just want to thank everyone who has participated in this thread for providing me with a little entertainment every day. This thread delivers carry on.

Which not one of these, not one of them, were mentioned by RoundMound when you told him he couldn't possibly be this dumb. That's a strange way to show respect for other people's opinions

Because the man stated that having a ball dryer on the sidelines is an unfair advantage. Along with hudl...that is a statement that is dumb. I stand behind that point.

That is not a dumb statement at all. That is an honest opinion. Not all schools can afford an extra $1200 to $1500 a year. Nor do they have the support/ coaches resources to be showing position groups/ kids replays during the game/ halftime that other programs do. That is a huge advantage to be able to communicate with players, especially with a end zone camera during the game. Again, your point is calling someone's opinion dumb. Someone stating an opinion that you disagree with. That is not how honest discussion respecting other people's opinions works

FWIW West Lyon has zero students athletes from Sioux Falls.

Reactions: MsideChief
That is not a dumb statement at all. That is an honest opinion. Not all schools can afford an extra $1200 to $1500 a year. Nor do they have the support/ coaches resources to be showing position groups/ kids replays during the game/ halftime that other programs do. That is a huge advantage to be able to communicate with players, especially with a end zone camera during the game. Again, your point is calling someone's opinion dumb. Someone stating an opinion that you disagree with. That is not how honest discussion respecting other people's opinions works

Okay, then I don't want to play teams who have fast guys. That isn't fair, or guys who are bigger than my team, cause that isn't fair. That's the same equivalent to your point.

If you think sideline hudl and a ball dryer win or lose your team games, you're wrong. You still have to make in game adjustments off that, which relies on the players and coaches. Plus, once the ball is put into play it is the same for everyone else. having a sideline drying tool is nearly useless considering ball boys carry the ball 90% of the time for high school teams.

So we should put a limit on resources so it’s fair and equal?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT