ADVERTISEMENT

North Linn poor sportsmanship & running up score

They have always competed towards the top of the conference, but this year is the peak. They will be strong next year, but not nearly as strong as this year.
Without Miller and Hilmer, more than likely, they will not be winning by wide margins next year. How do you replace 50+ per game in just two players...

Their beads number is at 163 for next year. that will be high enough for 2a. i think the cut was 157 this past year. NL was at 154 this year I believe.

They added a soph to their roster after break because they were short handed with some of their regulars battling illness. I think that had much more to do with them adding players than this thread. I am guessing coaches have more important things to do than read message boards.

So they have sophomores and freshmen that could be getting varsity minutes in these games that aren't? What is their JV, Soph, Fresh records so far?

They, like most schools their size only have a JV and Varsity team. The reserves on the varsity bench play a full JV game every night.i am not sure of their JV record but I assume it would be pretty solid

This is getting absurd.

North Linn has a group of incredible players that no one has been able to compete against and everyone wants to destroy anyone associated with the program. The coaches are awful for developing this group. The players should not be playing because they are too good. The JV guys, 9th &10th graders, should be playing all of the varsity game along with the JV game to make it fair. What have we come to? Don't be too good or the internet jockeys will tear all of you teenagers apart! How many posters have played against, coached against or watched their kid play against this team this year? I ask, not because you are not entitled to your opinion, but most supporting comments come from people that fit into one of those three group. Give it a break, go watch them when you get a chance as it is worth the price of admission and let's hope that they get to meet GVC in the finals!

Yeah because 1a will only come down to NL and GVC. I think there are a couple of teams in NW Iowa that people are forgetting about, but go ahead just pencil in GVC and NL.

Yeah because 1a will only come down to NL and GVC. I think there are a couple of teams in NW Iowa that people are forgetting about, but go ahead just pencil in GVC and NL.

Not knocking any other teams, just that these 2 have been 1 & 2 all year and would be a great match up.

So, yeah, I guess that I will pencil them in my finals prediction if the is OK with you?

Reactions: iowalongs230
Their beads number is at 163 for next year. that will be high enough for 2a. i think the cut was 157 this past year. NL was at 154 this year I believe.
How do you know what their beds number is next year? It's not published yet. Also, the cut was 156 were Sioux Central, Sioux Rapids is at this year as the bottom 2A school. That makes NL only 2 from 2A this year. If they do move to 2A next year, that still does not change who they play during the season....someone mention that their is younger Hilmer and Miller bothers, are they going to replace 50+ ppg for the team next year and future? That's a lot to replace with most teams score under 70 ppg....

This is getting absurd.

North Linn has a group of incredible players that no one has been able to compete against and everyone wants to destroy anyone associated with the program. The coaches are awful for developing this group. The players should not be playing because they are too good. The JV guys, 9th &10th graders, should be playing all of the varsity game along with the JV game to make it fair. What have we come to? Don't be too good or the internet jockeys will tear all of you teenagers apart! How many posters have played against, coached against or watched their kid play against this team this year? I ask, not because you are not entitled to your opinion, but most supporting comments come from people that fit into one of those three group. Give it a break, go watch them when you get a chance as it is worth the price of admission and let's hope that they get to meet GVC in the finals!

I am asking questions to try and understand the situation. My apologies if that has interfered with your reverence of the team. You seem to be emotionally involved so maybe you can answer the questions I have. How is their JV team doing record wise and domination wise? How many players are on that team? How many of those players dress/play varsity minutes. A simple approach to gathering information.

Reactions: Pinehawk
This is getting absurd.
....... Don't be too good or the internet jockeys will tear all of you teenagers apart!...
No one here is dissing the kids.

We're calling out the "co-coaches" who have run up the score multiple times to pad stats and chase some mythical scoring margin record.

There have been lots of good/better teams that win easily for most of their season. They just managed to do it and still respect their opponent and teach their players good sportsmanship at the same time.

I am not emotionally involved, just get to see them at east 3 times a season and hate to see the bashing. The Hilmer's are good people with a competitive drive. As for JV, they are solid. If memory serves me correct,they had 4 or 5 guys play both games with 10 or 11 on JV. Not huge numbers, but quality for the most part. We play them again either next week or the week after, so can be more specific then.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
We're calling out the "co-coaches" who have run up the score multiple times to pad stats and chase some mythical scoring margin

Again, right, wrong or indifferent, that is your opinion, which you are entitled to.

On a side note, do you fall into any of the 3 groups that I listed?

How do you know what their beds number is next year? It's not published yet. Also, the cut was 156 were Sioux Central, Sioux Rapids is at this year as the bottom 2A school. That makes NL only 2 from 2A this year. If they do move to 2A next year, that still does not change who they play during the season....someone mention that their is younger Hilmer and Miller bothers, are they going to replace 50+ ppg for the team next year and future? That's a lot to replace with most teams score under 70 ppg....

https://www.educateiowa.gov/documen...2016-2017-iowa-public-school-district-prek-12

go to this link. add the 8th and 9th and 10th grade together and you can figure it out. it's not rocket science, but not official yet either, just gives you a good idea.

I am also not emotionally tied to the North Linn team and haven't seen them yet, but really want to come the State Tournament time.

The question on running up the score is valid, but when a top 1A school is in an average (at best) conference with other 1A schools, the wide margin of win is going to happen. Danville did much the same during their top years.

Below are the recent state champion teams. Basically, unless you are in a NW Iowa conference where the competition is at a high level or your school plays 2A/3A schools as well, then the wide margin of wins are just going to happen.

2017 - GVC regularly won their regular season games by 40-50.....and even beat a few teams by 80+
2016 - South O'Brien - played better competition and even a few top 2A schools, but still won most games by a wide margin.
2015 - Gladbrook-Reinbeck - same as South O'Brien. Won a lot of games by 20-40 pts.
2014 - West Lyon - played closer games, but much better competition in the Sioux Conference.
2013 - Boyden-Hull - same as West Lyon.

Ultimately people just need to appreciate North Linn for how good they are for a 1A school.....not bash them for winning.

I am not emotionally involved, just get to see them at east 3 times a season and hate to see the bashing. The Hilmer's are good people with a competitive drive. As for JV, they are solid. If memory serves me correct,they had 4 or 5 guys play both games with 10 or 11 on JV. Not huge numbers, but quality for the most part. We play them again either next week or the week after, so can be more specific then.

Again, right, wrong or indifferent, that is your opinion, which you are entitled to.
On a side note, do you fall into any of the 3 groups that I listed?
Watched them last year at state and a few games online this year.

They are good, and fun to watch.....right up to the point when they start to humiliate their opponent that are down by 50+.

Where did you watch the games online? Just curious because the games I have attended did not seem to have any sort of cameras there......

https://www.educateiowa.gov/documen...2016-2017-iowa-public-school-district-prek-12

go to this link. add the 8th and 9th and 10th grade together and you can figure it out. it's not rocket science, but not official yet either, just gives you a good idea.
Those numbers are for the 16-17 year....next year they will use the 17-18 numbers...plus student numbers do go up or down year to year so you can't use last years 8th number because they could change...do you know a rocket scientist?

Last edited:
Those numbers are for the 16-17 year....next year will use the 17-18 numbers...plus student numbers do go up or down year to year so you can't use last years 8th number because they could change...do you know a rocket scientist?

For what it is worth, they did go from A to 1A in football next year.

I am sure Coach Hilmer knew of the injuries, what exactly should they have done about it?? Sit 4 of their players too so it would be more even? Give me a break. It's unfortunate for Maquoketa Valley for sure, but not much NL can do about it. Each team only gets 21 scheduled games and the North Linn kids have to play. If they sit out in every perceived blowout, those kids would NEVER play. Read the entire article that you are picking and choosing quotes out of. How about the part where it says NL quit pressing in the 1st quarter and how their starters were out early in the 3rd? For a team trying to run up the score, it would seem like they might want to play those guys a bit longer......
I did read the entire article. I’m talking about the Hlas commentary. He wasn’t very complimentary. At least not for NL. They had a lot of eyes on them in that arena. His last comments summed it up perfectly. Here’s a thought. How about ( omg!!!! ) starting the reserves for a game. I mean, I’m sure they work hard too right? Maybe they are up only 20 at half. Bring the studs in and let them go. Make it a goal to get the running clock by the end of the third. I know, I know, you’re punishing the studs by possibly lowering their stats. There are a lot of things coaches can control. The running clock is supposed to be a deterrent. It wasn’t implemented to prevent bad teams from having their feelings hurt. It was to prevent coaches like Hilmer from doing what he does. And then after implementing the running clock....coaches complained because it didn’t give them an opportunity to develop reserves and younger players. Can’t have it both ways. The worm always turns. Hilmer will be long gone from NL the minute that begins to happen.

Reactions: BHCrusader2010
Haha.

If a team is lacking so much and is essentially playing their JV....then call it a JV game.

As for the other teams on the schedule. Not sure what to think.

I do know I was on a high school team that got beaten by 50+ to a highly ranked team or two. No one on the team took offense to it...although a few parents might have.

I did read the entire article. I’m talking about the Hlas commentary. He wasn’t very complimentary. At least not for NL. They had a lot of eyes on them in that arena. His last comments summed it up perfectly. Here’s a thought. How about ( omg!!!! ) starting the reserves for a game. I mean, I’m sure they work hard too right? Maybe they are up only 20 at half. Bring the studs in and let them go. Make it a goal to get the running clock by the end of the third. I know, I know, you’re punishing the studs by possibly lowering their stats. There are a lot of things coaches can control. The running clock is supposed to be a deterrent. It wasn’t implemented to prevent bad teams from having their feelings hurt. It was to prevent coaches like Hilmer from doing what he does. And then after implementing the running clock....coaches complained because it didn’t give them an opportunity to develop reserves and younger players. Can’t have it both ways. The worm always turns. Hilmer will be long gone from NL the minute that begins to happen.

Reactions: APir8Dad and ustabe
Have any of you complaining actually spoken to a kid that has played against NL this year to hear their feelings? I have and I have not heard of a dramatic increase of visits to the psychologists or counselors due to a basketball game against the Lynx...

Have any of you complaining actually spoken to a kid that has played against NL this year to hear their feelings? I have and I have not heard of a dramatic increase of visits to the psychologists or counselors due to a basketball game against the Lynx...

I have listened to fun stories from kids on Alburnett in football when they had Regina as a homecoming game and their complaints, pretty certain no psychologists or counselors were employed then either, nor where there when Regina wrestled against them. If psychologists and counselors being employed is your standard than there probably isn't very many cases of bad sportsmanship going on anywhere. Great example. You see nothing wrong with how they are doing things, some do. Would I do things differently?based on some things I have read, perhaps.

The point is that one would be hard pressed to find a single player that did not know that their team was going to have to play the game of their life to have a chance to be close against this team if they have a bad night. They come out do their best on that night and prepare for the next game. We have won 13 games so far, got spanked by NL and get to play them again in a week. The point is that the world did not end and they will still put out 100% and not blame the other team or coaches if the results are the same. Adults typically make more of a situation like this than the kids...

Reactions: ustabe
When I ran the 3200M in track, in most meets I would lap a few of the kids. Should I have not done that? Hopefully I didnt offend any parents.

QUOTE="Pinehawk, post: 160790, member: 1348"]That's because we're mature and experienced enough to know better. Most of us.[/QUOTE]

That's because we're mature and experienced enough to know better. Most of us.

While we may be more mature and experienced, do we really know better?

I cannot find a connection between the negative comment and name calling in this thread with any of the kids and we are getting ready to roll over to page 6. Maybe there is something to be learned from the young guys.

When I ran the 3200M in track, in most meets I would lap a few of the kids. Should I have not done that? Hopefully I didnt offend any parents.
Weak analogy. but kudos for getting a humble brag in ;)

Here's an analogy:
Your football team is up 50 in the 2nd half:
Your team on-side kicks.
Your team leaves the star QB in and he continues to throw long pass plays to the top receiver in order to remain the leading passer in the state.
Your team continues to blitz into the 4th qtr.

Good sportsmanship?

How many people have had to go to counselors or psychologists because of the 'name calling' going on in this thread? I am guessing none so it's all okay and we can continue on with it. If that's the criteria fire away.

Reactions: theocia
Can someone give a good reason for beating other kids/teams by 50 60 70 80 pts? What exactly does it prove? From what I am reading it is obviously impossible to not beat a team by that much and not a good idea to take your foot off the gas at a certain point. I get winning big but when is enough enough?

Reactions: theocia
Maybe a mercy rule is needed because games like that are not competitive and your risking the health of the players on both teams for no reason... from a fan perspective I hate 30 pt blowouts there not fun to watch not to mention 50+

Maybe a mercy rule is needed because games like that are not competitive and your risking the health of the players on both teams for no reason... from a fan perspective I hate 30 pt blowouts there not fun to watch not to mention 50+
The running clock after a 35 pt lead should be enough.
A responsible coach should have no trouble getting the game over sooner without piling on a weaker opponent and still develop his players.

Embarrassing that the "co" coach with the most wins in the state hasn't learned how yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT