ADVERTISEMENT

North Linn poor sportsmanship & running up score

Both Homie, I was also the scout and the trainer. I was one of those few "do it all" type of people. I could've been out on that floor myself if my knee didn't give out in 94... nasty injury right there.

Should have done surgery on yourself and fixed it up. Do it all people work that way

Reactions: iowalongs230
If North Linn were only beating teams by 15-20 every game instead winning by 40+, would people think their schedule was more difficult?

I think North Linn will have a tough time in the state tourney due to a weak schedule but that is just my opinion

No I don’t... I think there schedule is what it is and them beating teams by 40+ or 15-20 doesn’t change that... I just think other teams that have played tougher teams this year will have a better understanding of what it will be like to play tough teams in state tourney

So they beat a team ,Maquoketa Valley, 88-20 at Cedar Rapids in the Cell Center. A team down 3 point guards and a starting post player due to injuries according to their coach. 61-11 at the half. You’re telling me Hilmer doesn’t know that going into the game? I’m sure it was a thrilling game to watch. Varsity against JV basically. Interesting take by columnist Hlas of the Gazette. Talking about Maq Valley...quote” you work with what you have and do the best you can. The rest of it is just statistics”. Exactly! Statistics. Stats! Woop de do.

If Maquoketa Valley isn't ok with playing a partial varsity team vs the #1 Class 1A school in the state....then forfeit the game and not show up.

So they beat a team ,Maquoketa Valley, 88-20 at Cedar Rapids in the Cell Center. A team down 3 point guards and a starting post player due to injuries according to their coach. 61-11 at the half. You’re telling me Hilmer doesn’t know that going into the game? I’m sure it was a thrilling game to watch. Varsity against JV basically. Interesting take by columnist Hlas of the Gazette. Talking about Maq Valley...quote” you work with what you have and do the best you can. The rest of it is just statistics”. Exactly! Statistics. Stats! Woop de do.

If Maquoketa Valley isn't ok with playing a partial varsity team vs the #1 Class 1A school in the state....then forfeit the game and not show up.

I saw the game....it was a mismatch from the tip but with those injuries not much anyone could do. I do have a problem with pressing the entire game though....the game was over by end of the 1st quarter and NL continues to press. They had guys on the bench that should have been in the game. All they are doing is stat stuffing. While they can't control their competition they can control how they handle certain games.

They play Liberty High School tomorrow night so this will be a big test for them. I have Liberty giving them their 1st loss of the year.

I was also impressed with the Miller kid...IMO he is better than Hilmer.

Reactions: Pinehawk
It looks like North Linn has toned it down a little after this thread came around. Hoping they realize you can win big and still show some respect for your opponents.

Gazette quote makes it looks like they realize what they're doing:
“We knew here that we had a lot of people watching us that maybe haven’t seen us play and are questioning that whole run-up-the-score thing,” said North Linn’s Ryan Miller. “So we knew that we needed to come out and show everybody what we’re made of, that we’re not just out here running up the score....”

Reactions: Bulldog198240

I am sure Coach Hilmer knew of the injuries, what exactly should they have done about it?? Sit 4 of their players too so it would be more even? Give me a break. It's unfortunate for Maquoketa Valley for sure, but not much NL can do about it. Each team only gets 21 scheduled games and the North Linn kids have to play. If they sit out in every perceived blowout, those kids would NEVER play. Read the entire article that you are picking and choosing quotes out of. How about the part where it says NL quit pressing in the 1st quarter and how their starters were out early in the 3rd? For a team trying to run up the score, it would seem like they might want to play those guys a bit longer......

Reactions: mtdew_fever
When I coached, I would rather get blown out by a great team as opposed to seeing great players play "paddy cake" because we were not good enough to play with them. "Sympathy play" is more humiliating than getting blown out.

On a side note, there is an official out there that got his butt chewed during a timeout due to trying to keep us in a game by not calling simple items against us and calling the other team very tight. That is no way to teach the boys to play and get better!

there's no solution here...Its an example of a great 1A team who plays in a very poor 1A conference. Hopefully the schedule doesn't affect them come tournament time as I would like to see them against GV Christian at the Well

There are several things that can be done. Work on wrinkles in your offense and defense that you may need when you play a decent team. Give a future opponent something to prepare for. Reward the guys deep on the bench some quality time in a different venue. Just a few thoughts.

I've been to a few games this year where it was clear in the 1st where it was going. But the dominate teams coach rotates early and often and is able to keep the starters participating in all but the last 3-4 minutes when both teams pull all the starters. IMO that's how it should be handled and they don't make it look that difficult.

I saw the game....it was a mismatch from the tip but with those injuries not much anyone could do. I do have a problem with pressing the entire game though....the game was over by end of the 1st quarter and NL continues to press. They had guys on the bench that should have been in the game. All they are doing is stat stuffing. While they can't control their competition they can control how they handle certain games.

They play Liberty High School tomorrow night so this will be a big test for them. I have Liberty giving them their 1st loss of the year.

I was also impressed with the Miller kid...IMO he is better than Hilmer.

They smoked Liberty so I will eat my words!

I expect to see NL vs Grandview Christian for 1A title...and I will be in the front row!

I was going to mention their blowout win vs Liberty as well.

I am definitely looking forward to seeing them play at the State Tournament.

They smoked Liberty so I will eat my words!

I expect to see NL vs Grandview Christian for 1A title...and I will be in the front row!

When I coached, I would rather get blown out by a great team as opposed to seeing great players play "paddy cake" because we were not good enough to play with them. "Sympathy play" is more humiliating than getting blown out.

On a side note, there is an official out there that got his butt chewed during a timeout due to trying to keep us in a game by not calling simple items against us and calling the other team very tight. That is no way to teach the boys to play and get better!
I'd rather a great team play with paddy cake sympathy so that we can catch back up and win..........;)

The biggest problem when you blow everybody out is how do your kids handle a close game if you get into one. After watching GV Christian Tuesday they are only going to get better as the season goes. With the addition of Samake at 6 FT 7 I don't know how many 1A teams have a kid that can match up with him.

Not sure NL vs GV is going to happen. GV's scores are not very impressive.

GVC is certainly experiencing some challenges with trying to gel quickly with a couple talented transfers. This takes time and they are only 3 games in with these guys. This, combined with being the defending 1A champions and realizing they see the best of every team they play night in and night out, they definitely have some wrinkles to iron out. That said, I wouldn’t count these boys out just yet...

Let's ponder this question. If NL and GV were separated by 30 miles, would the state separate them or have them meet in a district or substate final?
Great question, I think 5 to 10 years ago they would play in a District Final. But recently it does seem that the Boys in Boone have tried to adjust the Districts a bit to separate some of the better teams. I do not have any evidence of this, its just my opinion and I wouldn't be surprised if NW Iowa thinks differently.

Not sure NL vs GV is going to happen. GV's scores are not very impressive.

GVC has played a lot of really good teams this year. They played their first bad opponent last night...and beat them by 60 with their bench scoring 56 of their 93 pts.

GVC has played a lot of really good teams this year. They played their first bad opponent last night...and beat them by 60 with their bench scoring 56 of their 93 pts.
I believe GV's bench scored 46 points (prob a typo). But that is quite a difference from what NL does. I looked at a couple of NL's games that had similar scores to GV's game last night and NL's starters were scoring between 80-85 points in those games, compared to GV's starters last night that scored 47 points. This thread just got a lot more credible in my mind. Come on Hilmers, show some class!!!

Yep, intended to hit the 4, not the 5...stinking phone.

Edit, did it again.

I believe GV's bench scored 46 points (prob a typo). But that is quite a difference from what NL does. I looked at a couple of NL's games that had similar scores to GV's game last night and NL's starters were scoring between 80-85 points in those games, compared to GV's starters last night that scored 47 points. This thread just got a lot more credible in my mind. Come on Hilmers, show some class!!!
Agree.
Last game, North Linn leading 71-38 after 3 qtrs.
Their bench scored 4 pts in the entire game! How sad.

Time to put an asterisk next to the North Linn stats (and next to Hilmers Sr's win total)?
Do co-coaches get a full Win for each game or 1/2?

Agree.
Last game, North Linn leading 71-38 after 3 qtrs.
Their bench scored 4 pts in the entire game! How sad.

Time to put an asterisk next to the North Linn stats (and next to Hilmers Sr's win total)?
Do co-coaches get a full Win for each game or 1/2?

The win column for the co-coach is the only stat getting run up at NL. Got to give credit to Hilmer for doing it with students that actually grew up in the community, unlike other schools that magically add talented transfers.

Reactions: APir8Dad and AN96
The win column for the co-coach is the only stat getting run up at NL. Got to give credit to Hilmer for doing it with students that actually grew up in the community, unlike other schools that magically add talented transfers.

Fundamentally I would not align with families that choose to hop from one school to the next, and likely relocate in the process, simply to have their child on what they feel is the “right” team. However the reality is none of our opinions will curb this from happening. Since it’s going to happen, whether we like it or not, these talented transfers have the freedom to go anywhere, NL included. Assuming these kids meet all the criteria of any other student I’m sure Coach Hilmer wouldn’t turn them away if they showed up in Troy Mills no different than any other coach.

Reactions: iowalongs230
Fundamentally I would not align with families that choose to hop from one school to the next, and likely relocate in the process, simply to have their child on what they feel is the “right” team. However the reality is none of our opinions will curb this from happening. Since it’s going to happen, whether we like it or not, these talented transfers have the freedom to go anywhere, NL included. Assuming these kids meet all the criteria of any other student I’m sure Coach Hilmer wouldn’t turn them away if they showed up in Troy Mills no different than any other coach.

You misread the statement. These kids did not move into the district or open enroll to win a championship, they grew up in the district and played together for years.

Reactions: Gasman247
No, he's referring to the insinuation about other schools that "magically add transfers."

Gasman247 has a valid point about magically adding players; let's just put it out there.

Since this thread has derailed at times from the NL running up the score takes; I'd like to discuss transfers versus recruiting. At what point is the line crossed from a valid transfer situation to recruiting like a college?

Grand View Christian currently has or had the following players.

Issa Samake - a 6-7 current player originally from Mali, Africa and last played at Hamilton Heights Christian Academy in Chattanooga, TN. Not exactly a Des Moines area product - how did he get to GVC? Is he paying his own tuition to attend? If not, could it be recruiting instead of transfer as he would be receiving a financial benefit (similar to receiving a scholarship from a college to attend).

Augustine Saliu (last year) - originally from Nigeria, plays prep ball in Alabama, then comes to and plays (albeit sparingly) on GVC's championship team last year. I have no knowledge of how he got to GVC but would doubt he paid his way to attend while living with a host family.

Nyaw came to GVC from Storm Lake, Montes might be from Mexico (not sure on that). There have also been some home school students on the roster at times.

In pointing this out, I'm not meaning any ill-will to GVC or the student/players referenced above. I've seen and met some of these kids; they are all solid people and wish them success.

Just wanted to see if there were other opinions out there. I'd really like to see other takes on it.

All but Nyaw that you just mentioned are foreign exchange students. GVC has a robust foreign exchange student program that is currently at (and is capped at) 10% of the high school student body population. The last three years my wife and I have hosted foreign exchange students in our home, this year we have 2 brothers. All of the students we've hosted happen to have been from China (more than half of the foreign exchange students are), but they are not restricted to come from China.

Reactions: Pinehawk
All but Nyaw that you just mentioned are foreign exchange students. GVC has a robust foreign exchange student program that is currently at (and is capped at) 10% of the high school student body population. The last three years my wife and I have hosted foreign exchange students in our home, this year we have 2 brothers. All of the students we've hosted happen to have been from China (more than half of the foreign exchange students are), but they are not restricted to come from China.
Iowaong230....Does some of the players get their tuition paid for through the exchange program?

I know our foreign exchange students do not, I of course would have no knowledge of other students. It has been made very clear that there are no athletic scholarships at GVC and that is never to be part of the consideration for any need-based assistance (which any student can apply for and requires financial documentation). That's about the extent of what I'm aware of, any further questions can be directed to the Athletics Director or Administrator.

I know that any time there is success there are going to be questions, I get that. Right now a lot of families are attracted to GVC due to its academics, caring teachers, and spiritual values (has grown from 260-ish to north of 400 K-12 in 3 1/2 yrs.). And right now some basketball players are attracted to a winning program and a great coach, just like happens in many other schools--public or private--throughout the state.

I know our foreign exchange students do not, I of course would have no knowledge of other students. It has been made very clear that there are no athletic scholarships at GVC and that is never to be part of the consideration for any need-based assistance (which any student can apply for and requires financial documentation). That's about the extent of what I'm aware of, any further questions can be directed to the Athletics Director or Administrator.

I know that any time there is success there are going to be questions, I get that. Right now a lot of families are attracted to GVC due to its academics, caring teachers, and spiritual values (has grown from 260-ish to north of 400 K-12 in 3 1/2 yrs.). And right now some basketball players are attracted to a winning program and a great coach, just like happens in many other schools--public or private--throughout the state.
Iowalongs230...who pays typically for expense that are above and beyond room and board like tuition and other stuff? the student coming over or the exchange program or some other ways? I have never been a part of exchange program and wondered how it works. I do know that the tuition for foreign exchange students are the same or even more than a typical student.

They added a soph to their roster after break because they were short handed with some of their regulars battling illness. I think that had much more to do with them adding players than this thread. I am guessing coaches have more important things to do than read message boards.

North Linn is playing 3 sophomores now when they are ahead... Is that enough for everyone?
Is North Linn's success just the last few years or are they always winning like this year? If the later, then maybe they need to play a schedule like GVC is this year....or is recent success tied to current players like Hilmer and Miller, once they move on NL will come back to earth a little...

Last edited:
Is North Linn's success just the last few years or are they always winning like this year? If the later, then maybe they need to play a schedule like GVC is this year....

They have always competed towards the top of the conference, but this year is the peak. They will be strong next year, but not nearly as strong as this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT