ADVERTISEMENT

North Linn poor sportsmanship & running up score

It's astounding how butt hurt people get over some things.

Jim Poggi the former Hawkeye and his dad Biff took over a school in Maryland(St. Frances Academy) that is for poor and under privileged students. The school has about 300 kids and they've got kids to play football there. The went on to win the State Title and have several kids with Power 5 offers this year. Other area schools complained because they are an Academy school and can bring in good players from other poor communities. They convinced a basketball player to go out for football 2 years ago and he is now the #2 DE in the 2019 class and heading to Alabama. They have 16 homeless players on the team. Those are kids who never would have gotten a solid chance in life without those coaches helping them.

People would rather complain about how they've accomplished what they have accomplished rather than give some credit.

Plan and simple if you want to not be embarrassed than you need to get in the gym. I am sure Jake Hilmer and his dad have spent more time in the gym than some kids have spent on homework.

Mt. Vernon has a freshman that is the best player on that team and the day of Christmas break he was in the gym with his dad for at least 2 hours working on shooting. Some people simply want it more and have earned it.

I had freshman last year that I stayed hours after practice to work with them on shooting because they had parents working late or didn't want to go home yet. I coach kids to get better if they are willing to put in the time. When we are up by 30 it's not a matter of pulling them to let others play. They have earned it outside of game day, so I would put them in situations to allow others to be involved and keep them on the court. The only point a coach should feel a sense of easing up is when the other team starts putting in reserves. Outside of that as I mentioned in earlier posts a coach can do several things to not humiliate another team, while still playing the game.

At this point it seems those complaining are pretty much just trolling for responses, but people really just need to grow up.

Jim Poggi the former Hawkeye and his dad Biff took over a school in Maryland(St. Frances Academy) that is for poor and under privileged students. The school has about 300 kids and they've got kids to play football there. The went on to win the State Title and have several kids with Power 5 offers this year. Other area schools complained because they are an Academy school and can bring in good players from other poor communities. They convinced a basketball player to go out for football 2 years ago and he is now the #2 DE in the 2019 class and heading to Alabama. They have 16 homeless players on the team. Those are kids who never would have gotten a solid chance in life without those coaches helping them.

People would rather complain about how they've accomplished what they have accomplished rather than give some credit.

Plan and simple if you want to not be embarrassed than you need to get in the gym. I am sure Jake Hilmer and his dad have spent more time in the gym than some kids have spent on homework.

Mt. Vernon has a freshman that is the best player on that team and the day of Christmas break he was in the gym with his dad for at least 2 hours working on shooting. Some people simply want it more and have earned it.

I had freshman last year that I stayed hours after practice to work with them on shooting because they had parents working late or didn't want to go home yet. I coach kids to get better if they are willing to put in the time. When we are up by 30 it's not a matter of pulling them to let others play. They have earned it outside of game day, so I would put them in situations to allow others to be involved and keep them on the court. The only point a coach should feel a sense of easing up is when the other team starts putting in reserves. Outside of that as I mentioned in earlier posts a coach can do several things to not humiliate another team, while still playing the game.

At this point it seems those complaining are pretty much just trolling for responses, but people really just need to grow up.

Not sure how the Poggis fit into this scenario but so be it. I have watched a team in another sport that has been dominant in their class and even up a class. They have been in situations where they could name the score. They chose not to go the route of NL. They made decisions that had starters setting a goal of being out of the game by the 2nd qtr. if they didn't they had let their teammates who didn't start down. They worked on things that they would need going forward while respecting their opponent, it can be done. As far as 'no good coach' comments go, to each their own. The coaches will do what they want. I hope when the tide turns and things don't go their way they will be gracious.

It just doesn't work to give examples from other classes, it's not the same as 1A. And the situation here is not that in a couple of games NL is dominant so that they can take their starters out after 1 quarter and play subs the rest of the game. The point is that this is the scenario virtually every single game even if perhaps not to the extreme of 105-8.

It just doesn't work to give examples from other classes, it's not the same as 1A. And the situation here is not that in a couple of games NL is dominant so that they can take their starters out after 1 quarter and play subs the rest of the game. The point is that this is the scenario virtually every single game even if perhaps not to the extreme of 105-8.

This. You got that right.

Reactions: iowalongs230

Fair comments except for the spending more time in the gym than some do on homework. Priorities....

So you have seen Hilmer play once? Everyone in the area knew that last year was the preview of what was coming this year as this is THE year for them. They are a more mature and experienced team this year.

As to your comment of sitting your stars and just let them practice hard. Are you serious? Are you really saying to penalize your stars playing time due to being "too good"? That sounds like the "participation trophy" mentality.

BS! Never said anything about participation trophies at all. It’s about actually improving your team! I’ve seen Hilmer play numerous times. He’s a very good player. He’s not playing D 1. Sorry. How is playing your reserves in a blowout punishing your “stars” for being too good? By the way.....are they too good? How asinine is that. They are scoring well into double figures at it is. You’re telling me NL has no fresh soph players that can dress for games that are obvious blowouts? So this is THE year huh? Ok. Screw the future then. Hilmer is all about stats. Why else would he have his dad as co-coach instead of assistant? It’s so he can continue to add to his win total as a head coach. Why? Is it that important to be the top dog in win totals? NL will get to the Well, and meet a team from Western Iowa used to playing a tough competitive schedule..... and get beat!

Couple things - No, they do not press the whole game, the games I saw the press was pulled off in the 1st quarter.

You think just practicing and playing your freshmen increases your chance of winning a title? I am not saying playing this weak competition does either, but to imply that they should only play their stars in practice is ridiculous. I would assume this team already practices plenty hard.

Yes. They do press the majority of the games. As was stated earlier. They play “ their style” of basketball no matter if starters or reserves. I never said they should play their reserves half of every game. But when you are beating teams by 100 points? Probably aren’t getting any better in a game like that....so yeah, take a seat for a game...it won’t hurt...really, it won’t.

BS! Never said anything about participation trophies at all. It’s about actually improving your team! I’ve seen Hilmer play numerous times. He’s a very good player. He’s not playing D 1. Sorry. How is playing your reserves in a blowout punishing your “stars” for being too good? By the way.....are they too good? How asinine is that. They are scoring well into double figures at it is. You’re telling me NL has no fresh soph players that can dress for games that are obvious blowouts? So this is THE year huh? Ok. Screw the future then. Hilmer is all about stats. Why else would he have his dad as co-coach instead of assistant? It’s so he can continue to add to his win total as a head coach. Why? Is it that important to be the top dog in win totals? NL will get to the Well, and meet a team from Western Iowa used to playing a tough competitive schedule..... and get beat!

It is THE year based on the players on the team. As for what happens at the Well, well we shall see.

BTW, your west Iowa biased is showing just a little bit!

Merry Christmas!

Reactions: iowalongs230
Yes. They do press the majority of the games. As was stated earlier. They play “ their style” of basketball no matter if starters or reserves. I never said they should play their reserves half of every game. But when you are beating teams by 100 points? Probably aren’t getting any better in a game like that....so yeah, take a seat for a game...it won’t hurt...really, it won’t.

They did not press past the first quarter in the games I saw. It didn’t happen.

Fair comments except for the spending more time in the gym than some do on homework. Priorities....
I'm saying that if parents and/or kids don't want to worry about being embarrassed on the court than it is a matter of putting in the effort when it isn't gameday. Kids who put a ton of time into practice can also much a ton of time into the classroom. It is a matter of prioritizing how good you want to be on the court. I understand that not everyone is going to be athletically gifted enough to be like some kids. I also understand that some kids don't have the family to help or other have to get jobs to help the family. Lots of factors can come into the situation, but I don't think it is fair for people to fault or judge someone else because they have worked to be as good as they are.

Reactions: cruhawk
I'm saying that if parents and/or kids don't want to worry about being embarrassed on the court than it is a matter of putting in the effort when it isn't gameday. Kids who put a ton of time into practice can also much a ton of time into the classroom. It is a matter of prioritizing how good you want to be on the court. I understand that not everyone is going to be athletically gifted enough to be like some kids. I also understand that some kids don't have the family to help or other have to get jobs to help the family. Lots of factors can come into the situation, but I don't think it is fair for people to fault or judge someone else because they have worked to be as good as they are.

I have known a ton of gym rats who due to an actual lack of ability weren't very good. Practice is part of the equation.

Not sure how the Poggis fit into this scenario but so be it. I have watched a team in another sport that has been dominant in their class and even up a class. They have been in situations where they could name the score. They chose not to go the route of NL. They made decisions that had starters setting a goal of being out of the game by the 2nd qtr. if they didn't they had let their teammates who didn't start down. They worked on things that they would need going forward while respecting their opponent, it can be done. As far as 'no good coach' comments go, to each their own. The coaches will do what they want. I hope when the tide turns and things don't go their way they will be gracious.

The only team in recent years to be able to do that would be Grand View Christian last year and Danville 5 years ago. Both teams that I'm uncertain why no one seems to care that they have many similar scores to what NL has this year. The only thing I can figure is because NL is breaking 100 point mark more. North Linn's margin has been a bit of an anomaly thus far at a 65 margin, but GVC was winning by 46 last year and Danville 45 in 12-13.

GVC won the Title and Danville finished 3rd.

The only team in recent years to be able to do that would be Grand View Christian last year and Danville 5 years ago. Both teams that I'm uncertain why no one seems to care that they have many similar scores to what NL has this year. The only thing I can figure is because NL is breaking 100 point mark more. North Linn's margin has been a bit of an anomaly thus far at a 65 margin, but GVC was winning by 46 last year and Danville 45 in 12-13.

GVC won the Title and Danville finished 3rd.

A quick glance at GVC shows they played and lost to Pella in a big class jump. Broke 100 a few times, had a couple more kids on their roster and their subs appeared to score more points. If there is someone on here that can provide more insight on their year last year feel free.

If you read back through the thread I did mention GVC. Their season last year made me a bit more sympathetic to NL this year. As I mentioned, GVC had wins of 87, 82, and 87 early in the season before maybe backing it down a bit slightly for the rest of the year (still a couple of wins of 70+ and 3 of 60+). Yes, they played 13 different kids over the course of the season.

Maxstabs, as far as "no one seemed to care" about GVC's point margins? Yes, they did care. There may not have been a dedicated thread to GVC last year like there is this year for NL, but there were those who did care on this site and in the conference. It's just a difficult thing all the way around.

What if they did all that.....but also cheated?

No one disputes that North Linn has a good team this year.
I don't think they are anywhere near the most dominant 1A team of recent years (I'd give that nod to Rock Valley).

But this is a case where the stat line does not lie. A couple times where the game got out of hand is understandable, but not this.

Anyone who looks at the final score and box score for these games has the same conclusion:
This team does not respect their opponents and is showing terrible sportsmanship by running up the score.

Shame on the coach who does it!

(no matter how many career "wins" he has)

If you simplify things... Miller and Hilmer combine for 49.1 PPG. The team averages 95.9 PPG... The 8 remaining varsity players combine for 46.8 PPG. Every score I see has a very significant scoring difference between the first and second half. Except for these:

Central City was 43-22 at half. NL Outscored them 30-6 in the 3rd solidifying the game. Only 43 of the 84 being Hilmer and Miller. 9 of 10 players scored for NL. 23 bench points. Not signs of "running it up" when the bench only scored 9 points less than the other teams total.

Edgewood-Colesburg is sort of close I guess... 49-20 at half. NL 37-22 second half. Miller and Hilmer had 45 combined out of 86. 20 bench points.

Marquette Catholic 35-14 at half. 48-18 second half in the first game of the year. Miller and Hilmer 42 points. Bench 19 points.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The only games you could possibly question intent would be East Buchanan and Springville in the 2nd and 3rd games of the year.

61-17 first half EB game and 50-11 second half, but Miller and Hilmer still only had 46 combined. Seber had a big game and the bench had 24 points. So, I'm okay with that one also.

53-20 at half Springville. 33-16 second half, but 22-8 4th quarter. Hilmer and Miller combined for 61. Only 11 bench points. This is the only game that I think could have been handled differently. Game was over at half. Hilmer and Miller scored a minimum 8 second half points. I think I would have had them facilitating to others if I had them playing.

Reactions: Ted 5454
Well BCMoore has NL the #2 team in the entire state in all classes, second only to Iowa City West. ;)

Obviously that's a little skewed, but I have no doubt they are an incredibly talented team and will be VERY tough to beat come tourney time.

Reactions: Bulldog198240
Well BCMoore has NL the #2 team in the entire state in all classes, second only to Iowa City West. ;)

Obviously that's a little skewed, but I have no doubt they are an incredibly talented team and will be VERY tough to beat come tourney time.

It is too bad their schedule is loaded with 1A schools, especially with the TRC being down the past few years. Only NC games are with an average Monticello team and a newly formed school with mostly F/S players. Maybe they are getting some good teams in their allotted scrimmages, otherwise I would play my second unit against other teams first units as much as possible to build them up so they could give my first unit more competition. There are other creative things a coach can do to challenge his team in both games and practices to offset the weak teams they are playing.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
If you simplify things... Miller and Hilmer combine for 49.1 PPG. The team averages 95.9 PPG... The 8 remaining varsity players combine for 46.8 PPG. Every score I see has a very significant scoring difference between the first and second half...

Without getting into the should they/shouldn't they debate...a big reason for a scoring difference between 1st and 2nd halves is running clock. Looking at Quik Stats, it appears that in 7 of their games, there was a running clock the entire 2nd half and the other 3 they hit the running clock sometime in the 3rd.

Even if they didn't change style or substitute, a running clock would affect the scoring (for both teams).

Reactions: Pinehawk
Yes, there was a running clock last night, which slowed the scoring down, but even with the loopsided score, both team were playing hard until the NL starters came out before the end of the 3rd. The game did change in the second half with a different style of play and was definitely slowed down even more as the starters came out. NL has every reason to run the score up on us after football, but held off. That is a sign of respect and sportsmanship that many chose to ignore. They are a great team that is quick to the ball and shoots like no other team that I have watched in 1A over the years.

Yes, there was a running clock last night, which slowed the scoring down, but even with the loopsided score, both team were playing hard until the NL starters came out before the end of the 3rd. The game did change in the second half with a different style of play and was definitely slowed down even more as the starters came out. NL has every reason to run the score up on us after football, but held off. That is a sign of respect and sportsmanship that many chose to ignore. They are a great team that is quick to the ball and shoots like no other team that I have watched in 1A over the years.
Well then have them play for Iowa if they never miss shots. We don't have any of those players right now......

North Linn does appear to be one of the top 2-3 teams in Class 1A.

They thrashed a decent Lisbon team. I am anxious if they can continue doing it vs a few of the other decent teams over the next month.

When they make it to the State Tourney, I will be excited to watch them.

Last edited:
Reactions: APir8Dad
They said the same thing about GVC last year, and it was understandable...hadnt yet proven themselves at state and had a very weak schedule. But those of us who saw them play knew they had a chance to make a run.

NL *has* proven themselves at state by placing 3rd last year, and they return just about everyone from that squad. I have no doubt they will do as good this year if not better.

Are people mad at them because they have some really good basketball players that happen to go to a smaller school and work at their game outside of November - March? Stop it people. I get it that its embarrassing if you get beat by 50 but don't start a thread like this as it is still high school players (kids) you're talking about. I haven't seen them play but is Hilmer or any other of their top kids playing in the 4th quarter to run the score up?

Y'all are just butthurt faggatrons who don't know anything about basketball... I coached for the Nets a couple years back and know what I am talking about. I want the coaches to drop 200 on the next team they play, just so there might be some substance to your guys' "running up the score" argument.

Reactions: lilsavage366
Y'all are just butthurt faggatrons who don't know anything about basketball... I coached for the Nets a couple years back and know what I am talking about. I want the coaches to drop 200 on the next team they play, just so there might be some substance to your guys' "running up the score" argument.

I totally agree.... What was your job at the Nets

Both Homie, I was also the scout and the trainer. I was one of those few "do it all" type of people. I could've been out on that floor myself if my knee didn't give out in 94... nasty injury right there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT