ADVERTISEMENT

North Linn poor sportsmanship & running up score

I guess that since you have been around since 2003 that you must be one of those that took this forum from a heavily visited location to being a forum for the few egotistical posters that does not know how to play well in the sandbox.
Actually, it was posters like you scaring off other posters from making any comment other than PC gushy, positive, optimistic sunshine and rainbows about players (thinner line to be crossed) and teams that ruined this board.

Entertainment is not had in this world by everyone agreeing with each other and playing nice all the time. There's no entertainment in every single person in the world talking about how great Tom Brady is and merely accepting that he is the best ever and that the Patriots should always win because he's the best ever, regardless if he and Belichick ever cheated or not. There IS entertainment, however, in wanting to see them lose and people even embracing a come-lately self-motivating team in Philadelphia that convinced people they were the underdog and to support their run to a championship over the "unbeatable" Patriots, even if they're attitude and approach is not exactly the poster child for a true-to-form "babyface" underdog (babyface is a pro wrestling term btw).

Social media forums don't last if every single poster is like "Aww shucks. My team lost. But Philadelphia is just such a swell team and I am just fine with losing to them. I will root for them from now on along with my favorite team no matter how many times my team loses to Philadelphia in the future because they are just such a swell and respectable team." It's just the same thing, over and over with nobody saying anything otherwise. It'd be great if we could all agree on something (like politics)..........sports teams should not be one of those things.

This thread is another case in point. 7 pages and we didn't get there by everyone marveling at North Linn's greatness.

P.S. That and parity (and participation) in sports breeds excitement, since we're on the subject now. How are we doing with parity in Iowa high school athletics? Of the 300 some schools that play sports in this state, why should 3/4 of them even bother discussing events if their school has no chance to play for championships, let alone State tournament berths, which have also been devalued over the recent years.

15 years ago, for whatever reason, two 8-7 teams battling for the middle of the pack in a conference race might have generated discussion. But over the years of being told such games don't matter, people have finally bought into it and unless you're a diehard on this board, nobody cares. What does it mean, even if it was against your rival? You're 9-7 now and you're chasing teams that are 16-0 and 15-1 and they beat you by 30 or 40 points, and you can see that this game did nothing but give you one more win than you had before. Of course people aren't gonna care as much as they once did. I also think people, young and old, have fallen under this delusion that you have to be really good and be winning a lot to talk about your team (aka "trash talk", "gloating", etc etc), or it would make you "look bad". Visit Hawkeye Report and the Main Rivals Boards and you'll know that's not the case. Not at all.

And one more add-on now that I think about it, the growing number of shrinking rural, and combining/sharing county school districts also probably plays a part in interest levels, including social media interest and participation.

Was wondering the rules on quarters rules. In football if you only play after the mercy rule starts it doesn't count as a game. Allowing coaches to sub JV player without worrying about the 14 game limit. In BB, 7 quarters in a night = 2 games of the 21 limit. 6 quarters per day 1 game.

Really NL coach's need to not let the 5 the dress both play more than 3 quarters of JV then they'd have 3 more for V, easy enough. Even if played 4 in JV, they could still play all of the 2nd half and be OK.

NL is only 2 students from 2A this year....maybe they move up next yr...only Madrid and Earlham are above them in 1A this season....interesting

Hilmer kid just set the all-time assist and steals record, congrats to him. I went and watched Ed-Co upset Dunkerton last night. Great game. Tri-Rivers with two teams down at state this year.

Also saw that Cascade and North Linn scrimmaged a few weeks ago. I wonder how that went. That had to be a great game.

Hilmer kid just set the all-time assist and steals record, congrats to him. I went and watched Ed-Co upset Dunkerton last night. Great game. Tri-Rivers with two teams down at state this year.

Also saw that Cascade and North Linn scrimmaged a few weeks ago. I wonder how that went. That had to be a great game.

An interesting contrast in styles.

The starters were put back into the game in the 4th quarter of this game? Did I read that right? To make a statement?

It wasn't long ago that a stunt like that would make for some VERY hard fouls for the starters that returned to the game. Probably still not an uncommon situation and if the NL coach didn't like it the refs would have told him maybe it would be best to sit his starters back down.

Every team has a "Goon" that is just a little out of control and is no stranger to placing a hard foul. I would really be surprised if North Linn didn't take a few of those throughout the season.

With that being said. I am planning to attend at least one of North Linn's games at the Well next week.

It wasn't long ago that a stunt like that would make for some VERY hard fouls for the starters that returned to the game. Probably still not an uncommon situation and if the NL coach didn't like it the refs would have told him maybe it would be best to sit his starters back down.

Rumor has it NL took care of Cascade pretty easily.

I doubt they handled them easily the way Cascade played today. Very fundamental team that would seem to handle that kind of pressure pretty well. I would bet it was pretty close.
Again, from what I was told from people who would know, it wasn't very close.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
I also think people, young and old, have fallen under this delusion that you have to be really good and be winning a lot to talk about your team (aka "trash talk", "gloating", etc etc), or it would make you "look bad". Visit Hawkeye Report and the Main Rivals Boards and you'll know that's not the case. Not at all.

And one more add-on now that I think about it, the growing number of shrinking rural, and combining/sharing county school districts also probably plays a part in interest levels, including social media interest and participation.

You had a lot of great points in your novella, although the Philly thing was a bit of a rant. I read it though because I do "hate" the Patriots.

I am guilty of the first statement. I used to come on here and discuss/defend all things East related. As East fell on tougher times in football (even 3-4 years ago when they qualified for the playoffs, but got blown out) it felt weird talking about them when most posts/comments were about undefeated teams or teams I knew they had no chance beating. I think the Lakes & Siouxland basketball posters do a great job of thorough discussion.

The 2nd statement is an infinitely edged sword. I think as a general rule that most urban school districts have far less interest than the rural schools. Combining rural schools does tend to hurt the sense of pride, but if the newly formed school has success right away, that helps (Southwest Valley Football). AAU has hurt community pride too. It creates disdain in communities when "Johnny All-Star" plays for an AAU team and "Billy Everykid" isn't asked. It diminishes rivalries when kids from rival schools play more games with said rivals as teammates than their actual teammates. You could argue that'd make it even more fun, but lastly I think AAU creates a "me first" culture and winning becomes a DISTANT afterthought to filling up a stat book and that carries over to school affiliated games and the two AAU players that were teammates for 270 days don't really care what team wins as long as their buddy gets his points and so do they. Societal shifts to be "all-inclusive" and the huge push against and expansion of the term "bullying" also take away some of that rivalry fun.

Finally, increased social media outlets hurt sites like this. When preps used to have 10-20 page threads routinely, Twitter/Facebook/etc didn't exist or were in their infancy at best. As an example: Tony Roe used to post intelligent talking points on here all the time about basketball, now he uses Twitter.

You had a lot of great points in your novella, although the Philly thing was a bit of a rant. I read it though because I do "hate" the Patriots.

I am guilty of the first statement. I used to come on here and discuss/defend all things East related. As East fell on tougher times in football (even 3-4 years ago when they qualified for the playoffs, but got blown out) it felt weird talking about them when most posts/comments were about undefeated teams or teams I knew they had no chance beating. I think the Lakes & Siouxland basketball posters do a great job of thorough discussion.

The 2nd statement is an infinitely edged sword. I think as a general rule that most urban school districts have far less interest than the rural schools. Combining rural schools does tend to hurt the sense of pride, but if the newly formed school has success right away, that helps (Southwest Valley Football). AAU has hurt community pride too. It creates disdain in communities when "Johnny All-Star" plays for an AAU team and "Billy Everykid" isn't asked. It diminishes rivalries when kids from rival schools play more games with said rivals as teammates than their actual teammates. You could argue that'd make it even more fun, but lastly I think AAU creates a "me first" culture and winning becomes a DISTANT afterthought to filling up a stat book and that carries over to school affiliated games and the two AAU players that were teammates for 270 days don't really care what team wins as long as their buddy gets his points and so do they. Societal shifts to be "all-inclusive" and the huge push against and expansion of the term "bullying" also take away some of that rivalry fun.

Finally, increased social media outlets hurt sites like this. When preps used to have 10-20 page threads routinely, Twitter/Facebook/etc didn't exist or were in their infancy at best. As an example: Tony Roe used to post intelligent talking points on here all the time about basketball, now he uses Twitter.
Well put.

To add to your bullying comment, I've got a pro wrestling term for you. It takes a good heel (bad guy) to make a face (good guy) stand out. If you only have faces, you get lost in the crowd. And on the flipside, if you only have heels then its just a toxic environment. One doesn't work up to their potential without the other.

And right now, nobody wants to step up and play the heel :cool:

Of course, if they do, they get shooed off immediately.

Just my spin on things. ;)

Apparently, if Samake hadn't moved to GVC, North Linn would've been 25 pts better yesterday.

He may have thought that.....but did he have to say it to reporters? I’m sure Remsen and CBSA felt the same way......or not. Idk....better shooting might have helped somewhat too....and an effective offense against an extended zone might have been good for 4 extra points or so. Maybe he just got out coached.

Apparently, if Samake hadn't moved to GVC, North Linn would've been 25 pts better yesterday.

That comment by Hilmer is quite a bit disingenuous, and kind of feels like sour grapes. He is certainly welcome to his thoughts and opinions, but if the implication is without Samake, NL wins... I don't buy it.

It wasn't like GVC was some horrible, crap .500 team pre-Samake. They were undefeated, and had already beaten some tough 2A and 3A teams before he ever took the floor. GVC had pretty much their entire team back from last year's championship season - similar to NL.

GVC played a good part of the season without Samake & knew how to operate without him. Consider the Remsen game where they went on a 19-5 run to end the game after he fouled out.

NL had a great year, something to be proud of.

From a game standpoint, I felt NL might've done more to push the tempo. It didn't seem like GVC was handling the press all that effectively. I thought they could've applied it a little more often.

Hi, I am Jakes younger brother and coach hilmers son. I went to every game this season and just would like to share a few things. The reporter asked my dad if he thought the game would b different without Samake and What my dad was trying to say was that Samake is a great player and that’s how much he means to his team but obviously that was taken the wrong way. His plan for the season was not to embarrass every team we played and run up the score as much as possible and no that didn’t happen. All the stuff about jake? Well I live in the same room as him and after they beat Cedar Valley Christian in a lopsided game and after my dad “padded his stats” to get him the school record for most points in a game at North Linn he comes home and says to me “ur gonna beat that record someday” He beat the school record by 1 single point and came out of the game right after that bucket which was less than a minute into the 3rd quarter. He could have easily went for 60 points that game and been in the record books at North Linn forever but no he beats it by 1 point and tells his brother that one day he is gonna beat HIS record. Now this doesn’t seem like something a coach or player who has bad sportsmanship and who’s main goal is to humiliate the other team and it wasn’t. They Didn’t do anything as “revenge” for football or humiliate the other team. This team preaches sportsmanship and always will. I encourage all of you to go watch a game of theirs next season and witness it in person, I will pay for you to get in I promise:)

P.S. Please nobody tell my parents I sent this or I will be grounded.

Austin,
Congratulations to your family on an unbelievable season. I know it didn’t end the way you would have liked it to, but NL and GVC had every HS hoops fan in the state talking about 1A basketball again and that’s something we can all get excited about.

Hi, I am Jakes younger brother and coach hilmers son. I went to every game this season and just would like to share a few things. The reporter asked my dad if he thought the game would b different without Samake and What my dad was trying to say was that Samake is a great player and that’s how much he means to his team but obviously that was taken the wrong way. And what jake was saying when he said he wouldn’t trade what we have for what they have was showing the love for his teammates, not a bash on them. Saying that being with these guys was worth way more than winning a championship. My dads plan for the season was not to embarrass every team we played and run up the score as much as possible and no that didn’t happen. All the stuff about jake? Well I live in the same room as him and after they beat Cedar Valley Christian in a lopsided game and after my dad “padded his stats” to get him the school record for most points in a game at North Linn he comes home and says to me “ur gonna beat that record someday” He beat the school record by 1 single point and came out of the game right after that bucket which was less than a minute into the 3rd quarter. He could have easily went for 60 points that game and been in the record books at North Linn forever but no he beats it by 1 point and tells his brother that one day he is gonna beat HIS record. Now this doesn’t seem like something a coach or player who has bad sportsmanship and who’s main goal is to humiliate the other team and it wasn’t. They Didn’t do anything as “revenge” for football or humiliate the other team. This team preaches sportsmanship and always will. They added AP and Cascade to the schedule next year, two teams that went to state this season. I encourage all of you to go watch a game of theirs next season and witness it in person, I will pay for you to get in I promise:)

I think that is great that NL is adding Cascade and AP to their schedule next year. Austin, how do you think your team will do next year and who is going to replace Miller & Waskow and the other Seniors?

Reactions: iowalongs230
Hi, I am Jakes younger brother and coach hilmers son. I went to every game this season and just would like to share a few things. The reporter asked my dad if he thought the game would b different without Samake and What my dad was trying to say was that Samake is a great player and that’s how much he means to his team but obviously that was taken the wrong way. And what jake was saying when he said he wouldn’t trade what we have for what they have was showing the love for his teammates, not a bash on them. Saying that being with these guys was worth way more than winning a championship. My dads plan for the season was not to embarrass every team we played and run up the score as much as possible and no that didn’t happen. All the stuff about jake? Well I live in the same room as him and after they beat Cedar Valley Christian in a lopsided game and after my dad “padded his stats” to get him the school record for most points in a game at North Linn he comes home and says to me “ur gonna beat that record someday” He beat the school record by 1 single point and came out of the game right after that bucket which was less than a minute into the 3rd quarter. He could have easily went for 60 points that game and been in the record books at North Linn forever but no he beats it by 1 point and tells his brother that one day he is gonna beat HIS record. Now this doesn’t seem like something a coach or player who has bad sportsmanship and who’s main goal is to humiliate the other team and it wasn’t. They Didn’t do anything as “revenge” for football or humiliate the other team. This team preaches sportsmanship and always will. They added AP and Cascade to the schedule next year, two teams that went to state this season. I encourage all of you to go watch a game of theirs next season and witness it in person, I will pay for you to get in I promise:)

I love this!...congratulations to your family on a great season...Jake is a great player and I’ve watched him closely for several years

Hi Austin, thanks for coming on here. As a parent of a Grand View Christian player I'd like to say congrats on a great season. As I said to your dad when he tweeted congrats to GVC, it's obvious you have a very special group there at North Linn. I told him it's too bad we couldn't do a best of 7 series cuz that would be fun. He replied very graciously to me.

It's too bad there are people who make judgments about schools, teams, coaches, and players based on misunderstandings and false assumptions. You are seeing some of that on this thread and we at GVC are also seeing some of that from a few North Linn fans after the title game.

Again, congrats to you and your team, and best wishes for you and your team next year. I'd love to see Jake and the boys back at state.

..... My dads plan for the season was not to embarrass every team we played and run up the score as much as possible and no that didn’t happen...
Hoping you can address some of the posts from the first page of this thread:

ook a look at the stats of the Springville game which NL won 92-36. NL scored 22 points in the 4th quarter. Only 11 points total were scored by non-starters for NL in that game. This means that NL starters were playing (and scoring) in the 4th quarter of a game where they led 70-28 at the end of the 3rd. Even if you assume that non-starters scored zero points in the first 3 quarters (doubtful), the starters were in and scored 11 points in the 4th.

In basketball, it SO EASY to burn time with a running clock. Sub 1 player in on every dead ball, walk the ball up the floor, and pass it around. I've seen teams try to get every player in the book, so they really work it around to get each guy a look. Kinda fun for the fans to watch too.
Conditioning is easy to solve in practice. A good practice should be MORE exhausting than playing 32 minutes

Last game, North Linn leading 71-38 after 3 qtrs.
Their bench scored 4 pts in the entire game! How sad.

It looks like they had several games where NL scored 20+ points in the 4th quarter when already up by more than 50. It's tough to score that many with a running clock, and to do it repeatedly means you're doing it on purpose.

I don't think anyone doubts that NL is a good team & that Jake is a phenomenal player, but it sure looks disrespectful to your opponents to repeatedly run up the score late in the game like this

Last edited:
What this season really showed is the talent gap in 1A this year was huge. There were only two teams in 1A this season that had any chance to win the Title. They rest of the teams couldn't even come very close to competing with them.

In the other classes, there were at least a handful of teams, if not more, that could have played well and won the Championship.

Hi, I am Jakes younger brother and coach hilmers son. I went to every game this season and just would like to share a few things. The reporter asked my dad if he thought the game would b different without Samake and What my dad was trying to say was that Samake is a great player and that’s how much he means to his team but obviously that was taken the wrong way. My dads plan for the season was not to embarrass every team we played and run up the score as much as possible and no that didn’t happen. All the stuff about jake? Well after they beat Cedar Valley Christian in a lopsided game and after my dad “padded his stats” to get him the school record for most points in a game at North Linn he comes home and says to me “ur gonna beat that record someday” He beat the school record by 1 single point and came out of the game right after that bucket which was less than a minute into the 3rd quarter.They Didn’t do anything as “revenge” for football or humiliate the other team. This team is about sportsmanship and always will. They added AP and Cascade to the schedule next year, two teams that went to state this season. I encourage all of you to go watch a game of theirs next season and witness it in person
Good job mom, nice letter but really like the NL stats , fake news and 40 pts in the only game vs the only decent team that mattered all year hmmmm

Last edited:
This is the most asinine statement I've ever seen made as far as commenting on the subject of running up the score in sports....

This is the most asinine statement I've ever seen made in response to a comment on "running up the score" in sports.

Austin,
Congratulations to your family on an unbelievable season. I know it didn’t end the way you would have liked it to, but NL and GVC had every HS hoops fan in the state talking about 1A basketball again and that’s something we can all get excited about.
Hello Austin Hilmer. I have never ever heard of your school named Linn North. I would like to go here becase it is so lit everyday. Its nice to know that ur dad has recruited me to play for you in 2020. I hope we will be friends.

Since this thread won’t die I’m gonna add a post in support of the North Linn players, coaches and parents. Now, I can only speak to my individual experience as a parent of a player on an opposing team but not from their conference or area. I’m a parent of a player from St Mary’s in Remsen. We have had the opportunity to interact with the North Linn community the past two years, at state basketball in 2017 as an opponent; state baseball 2017 as an opponent; and this year at state basketball again. Our teams have stayed in the same motel the past two years. The players, coaches and parents are all class acts. The kids got along well and when I watched them play, they do it the right way. Maximum effort, passion and a focus on fundamentals. Their team and fans were always respectful, highly competitive but not to the point of trying to show our team up. Both games were competitive with N L winning in basketball and RSM winning in baseball so we interacted after wins and losses without the outcome changing their demeanor. I just think some have gone overboard in their criticism so take my opinion or leave it but I think as an opposing parent it may have some merit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT