ADVERTISEMENT

North Linn poor sportsmanship & running up score

If that's the case then I agree some of that can be ramped down...although the flip side of that is that it's just extremely difficult when kids have been taught that style and have played it in AAU ball and see it on TV in the NBA to put the reigns on it. It's almost like playing a completely different sport if you're used to playing run and gun and then you tell them Ok, now no fast breaks, no 3s, etc. I'm not completely 100% defending it, I'm just saying it's not as easy a solution as some are making it out to be.

A coach can control that if they choose to.

But again to "control" that for 3 quarters for every game for the entire season means you end up playing a completely different style of play than you want to and then can't play your style when you need to at state.

Reactions: APir8Dad
Where were these people crying sportmanship when Danville was on their run several years ago? They ran through their regular season by putting up some wide margin games and no one criticized them for it.

Where were these people crying sportmanship when Danville was on their run several years ago? They ran through their regular season by putting up some wide margin games and no one criticized them for it.

I am guessing they were if they were doing it the same way.

If a team wins by 50....does it matter how they did it?

If a team is up huge at the half, to show good sportsmanship....why not just stand out front with the ball for the entire 2nd half with neither taking a shot or allowing the other team the ball? That sounds better.

I am guessing they were if they were doing it the same way.

The question is should they be doing it no matter what team it is? My guess is people complained about Danville but maybe not on this site. Was this site around then? Why does it seem like there is only 1 team doing this or is there more this year?

How about every team that plays Cedar Valley Christian?

The question is should they be doing it no matter what team it is? My guess is people complained about Danville but maybe not on this site. Was this site around then? Why does it seem like there is only 1 team doing this or is there more this year?

Would have to check some of the Regina/multiplier threads from 6-7 years ago.
Hey not everything has to be about Regina....:D

I remember conference basketball threads that would stretch into the tens and almost 20s of pages. And yeah any private school thread about 10 years ago was guaranteed many multiple pages......Today if you can get 3 pages out of the private school argument that would be something.

What year? IaPreps was around well before they won back to back titles in 2001-2002......

Hey not everything has to be about Regina....:D

I remember conference basketball threads that would stretch into the tens and almost 20s of pages. And yeah any private school thread about 10 years ago was guaranteed many multiple pages......Today if you can get 3 pages out of the private school argument that would be something.

I miss those days

Regular season finale:
North Linn 106 Alburnett 33
18-1 in the 4 qtr (starters still in the game)
40 points scored on a running clock
95 of the points scored by the starters.

Congrats on a perfect season.

Regular season finale:
North Linn 106 Alburnett 33
18-1 in the 4 qtr (starters still in the game)
40 points scored on a running clock
95 of the points scored by the starters.

Congrats on a perfect season.

Actually, the starters were not still in the game, they were put back in the game! Say what you want about the score, but it was for the purpose of making a statement in our house. Not that it would have made a difference, but we were down our versatile big man, Izic Mackey. He sprained his ankle pretty bad at the end of last week. If you know anything about rivalries, this is a big one in every sport! The players will beat the tar out of each other on the playing surface and then shake hands and chat after the game.

As for the rosters that I mentioned last week, there were 10 on the JV bench and 11 on the Varsity. Of those, I counted 5 that played both games, I believe.

Disgraceful.

95 of 106 points. A 73 point win.

That said, Alburnett must have about as much fight and pride in them as APir8Dad seems to. Which is practically none. Never seen someone be such an apologist for a team that absolutely disrespects and embarrasses their own kids team like that.

Actually, the starters were not still in the game, they were put back in the game! Say what you want about the score, but it was for the purpose of making a statement in our house. Not that it would have made a difference, but we were down our versatile big man, Izic Mackey. He sprained his ankle pretty bad at the end of last week. If you know anything about rivalries, this is a big one in every sport! The players will beat the tar out of each other on the playing surface and then shake hands and chat after the game.

As for the rosters that I mentioned last week, there were 10 on the JV bench and 11 on the Varsity. Of those, I counted 5 that played both games, I believe.

The starters were put back into the game in the 4th quarter of this game? Did I read that right? To make a statement?

Reactions: ghost80
Disgraceful.

95 of 106 points. A 73 point win.

That said, Alburnett must have about as much fight and pride in them as APir8Dad seems to. Which is practically none. Never seen someone be such an apologist for a team that absolutely disrespects and embarrasses their own kids team like that.

No one apologized for getting beat by a better team. You know nothing of me and I could not care less what you think. I guess that since you have been around since 2003 that you must be one of those that took this forum from a heavily visited location to being a forum for the few egotistical posters that does not know how to play well in the sandbox. As for me, I will continue to support my son and enjoy the game of high school basketball, win or lose. Enjoy your life and you might try to get out to watch a team before you tear them down. Good night.

Payback from football.

Where is the payback for wrestling? The statement that is made by putting starters back in the 4th qtr of a game like this is 'look at how great we are' heaven forbid if one of the chosen ones tweaks an ankle right before the tournament starts. I am glad you are enjoying supporting your son and being part of games like that. It's not what I would want my kids to have to go through.

Well I have (kinda) been defending them throughout this thread but if that's really what happened then that's sad.

The football score was 46-0, a fairly typical looking football blowout score. Not equivalent to a 73 point basketball win where you continue to pile up the points with the starters in the 4th quarter for 'payback'. That excuse doesn't really work for me.

Reactions: iowalongs230
The football score was 46-0, a fairly typical looking football blowout score. Not equivalent to a 73 point basketball win where you continue to pile up the points with the starters in the 4th quarter for 'payback'. That excuse doesn't really work for me.

Once again, you know it all because you read some numbers on the internet without attending the game or knowing the story!

Well then, please tell us why you think it was appropriate for N. Linn to disrespect and embarrass your son and school the way they did?

Disrespect and embarrass? Coming from the guy that wasn't there watching it. Sorry good teams, you aren't allowed to play hard anymore, someones feelings will get hurt. Message board know-it-alls will tell you how to run your teams from now on. They all know better!

Reactions: APir8Dad
Enjoy your message board and remember that one game does not ruin a season. You accept defeat and move on, but that seems difficult to do for a few keyboard jockeys on here.

As for the comment from last night that has since been deleted about a player having an (*) next to his name in the record books, I agree. It needs to state that he is the 4th leading scorer in 1A, leading in assists (almost double 2nd place and leading in steals (by approx 50% over 2nd) while playing less than 3 quarters a game compared to full games by other players.

Later!

Once again, you know it all because you read some numbers on the internet without attending the game or knowing the story!

Were you at the game?...I'm curious as why would Hilmer put his starters back in? I have met Hilmer and I'm scratching my head over this one. It does start to look like all he is doing is helping his son pad his stats. I was the one who said put an asterisk next to his name and deleted it...I felt I should not attack a kid, so I deleted it ....but help me understand why Coach Hilmer would do this?

Last edited:
Reactions: theocia
were you at the game?...I'm curious as why would Hilmer put his starters back in? I have met Hilmer and I'm scratching my head over this one. It does start to look like all he is doing is helping his son pad his stats.

Yes, I was at the game and I am guessing that there may have been at best, one other active poster at the game.

No idea why their coach had them in, post season is next week. Maybe their kids need to start playing more than half a game. Maybe they had injuries? Maybe they had kids play too many quarters earlier in JV? I don't know. Neither do any of you but you are all so sure they are doing it to be disrespectful and pad stats. Lot of untruths out there from people just reading quikstats and drawing conclusions

This wasn't the only game NL had starters in the game in the 4th when they were up 60+. The excuses that it was a 'rivalry' or 'you had to be there or you can't comment' are nonsense. It has happened other times this season. The reason this is a story is because coaches just don't do this very often - run up the score on an inferior opponent.

I've seen 500+ high school games over the past few decades (many blow-outs) and cannot recall a single one where a team won by 97 or the starters played when a team was up by 60 points.

This wasn't the only game NL had starters in the game in the 4th when they were up 60+. The excuses that it was a 'rivalry' or 'you had to be there or you can't comment' are nonsense. It has happened other times this season. The reason this is a story is because coaches just don't do this very often - run up the score on an inferior opponent.

I've seen 500+ high school games over the past few decades (many blow-outs) and cannot recall a single one where a team won by 97 or the starters played when a team was up by 60 points.

Please name all those games you know for sure they had their starters in the 4th quarter.

If you make the assumption that non-starters did not score at all in the first three quarters in any game this season (hard to believe and highly doubtful), then we know for sure that starters were playing (and scoring):

11/28 vs Marquette. Won 83-32. NL scored 26 pts in the 4th and non-starters scored a total of 19 pts in the game which means starters scored at least 7 in 4th.
12/5 vs Springville. Won 92-36. NL scored 22 pts in the 4th and non-starters scored a total of 11 pts in the game which means starters scored at least 11 in 4th.
1/5 vs Easton Valley. Won 95-58. NL scored 22 in 4th and non-starters scored a total of 17 in the game. Starters scored at least 5 in the 4th.
2/6 vs Alburnett. Won 106-33. NL scored 18 in the 4th and non-starters scored a total of 11 pts in the game. Starters scored at least 7 in the 4th.

Starters also played in the 4th in a win over Liberty but giving them a pass on that one because they were "only" ahead by 33 at the end of the 3rd. If you concede that non-starters probably scored in the first 3 quarters in some of their games this season, then the number of games where starters played in the 4th goes up.

If you make the assumption that non-starters did not score at all in the first three quarters in any game this season (hard to believe and highly doubtful), then we know for sure that starters were playing (and scoring):

11/28 vs Marquette. Won 83-32. NL scored 26 pts in the 4th and non-starters scored a total of 19 pts in the game which means starters scored at least 7 in 4th.
12/5 vs Springville. Won 92-36. NL scored 22 pts in the 4th and non-starters scored a total of 11 pts in the game which means starters scored at least 11 in 4th.
1/5 vs Easton Valley. Won 95-58. NL scored 22 in 4th and non-starters scored a total of 17 in the game. Starters scored at least 5 in the 4th.
2/6 vs Alburnett. Won 106-33. NL scored 18 in the 4th and non-starters scored a total of 11 pts in the game. Starters scored at least 7 in the 4th.

Starters also played in the 4th in a win over Liberty but giving them a pass on that one because they were "only" ahead by 33 at the end of the 3rd. If you concede that non-starters probably scored in the first 3 quarters in some of their games this season, then the number of games where starters played in the 4th goes up.
You weren't in the stands!
There's no way you would know if they were in during the 4 qtr!
................................unless you can do 3rd grade math.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
No idea why their coach had them in, post season is next week. Maybe their kids need to start playing more than half a game. Maybe they had injuries? Maybe they had kids play too many quarters earlier in JV? I don't know. Neither do any of you but you are all so sure they are doing it to be disrespectful and pad stats. Lot of untruths out there from people just reading quikstats and drawing conclusions

You do realize the kid is chasing state stat records, right?.....I’m asking a legitimate question as to why a coach would put his starters in when he has over a 50 pt lead ...I wasn’t at the game and I assume someone in here was ...

Last edited:

So tell us 'the story' because you were the one to tell us the starters were put in during the 4th quarter. I do enjoy the 'get better' response. I have used that one on this boards and the outrage has been funny. Still surprised the opposing teams dad is good with it. Maybe he is working towards the 'my kid played against these record setting kids or he would have won state' route.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT