ADVERTISEMENT

Siouxland Conference

usfhawk

All District
Jul 13, 2006
The Siouxland Conference will be one of the strongest conferences in the state and will have state potential teams in multiple classes.

What are everyone’s predictions on conference champ? State qualifiers?

Updated Standings 1/26

Sheldon——————-11-2
Sioux Center————11-2
GLR————————9-4
MOC————————8-5
Rock Valley—————8-5
West Lyon—————-8-5
Sibley Ocheyedan——5-8
Boyden Hull—————3-10
Okoboji———————2-11
Central Lyon—————0-13

Last edited:
Agree.
I think this is the year that one of the Siouxland 2A teams keeps Western from making it to the state tourney.

My prediction:
1. West Lyon
2. Sioux Center
3. Sheldon
3. Rock Valley - Knocks off Western in substate
5. Boyden-Hull - will need to get past Remsen-St Mary for state
6. MOC-FV
7. Central Lyon
8. George-Little Rock
8. Okoboji
10. Sibley-Ocheyden

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Agree.
I think this is the year that one of the Siouxland 2A teams keeps Western from making it to the state tourney.

My prediction:
1. West Lyon
2. Sioux Center
3. Sheldon
3. Rock Valley - Knocks off Western in substate
5. Boyden-Hull - will need to get past Remsen-St Mary for state
6. MOC-FV
7. Central Lyon
8. George-Little Rock
8. Okoboji
10. Sibley-Ocheyden

The top of the Siouxland will be so strong. I could see BH, SC, Sheldon, WL, or RV winning the conference. I would switch up your bottom half.

I would go...

1/2) Sheldon/West Lyon
3.) Sioux Center
4.) RV
5.) Boyden Hull
6.) GLR
7.) MOC
8.) Okoboji
9.) Sibley O
10.) Central Lyon

Which 1A team BH or GLR will be better? Going off last year's teams I thought GLR had a lot coming back but I also heard they had some coaching changes?

1. Sheldon
2. Rock Valley
3. Sioux Center
4. West Lyon
5. George Little Rock
6. Boyden Hull
7. MOC
8. Sibley-Ocheydan
9. Central Lyon
10. Okoboji

1. Sioux Center - wins the conference title, then shoots self in foot during post-season
2. Sheldon - Lots of good shooters coming back
3. Rock Valley - I think this is their year to get back to Des Moines -best D in the Siouxland
4. West Lyon - Good, but will miss Heyer's offense more than they thought
5. Boyden-Hull - will beat several of the top tier
6. George-Little Rock
7. MOC-FV
8. Okoboji
9. Central Lyon
10. Sibley-Ocheydan

Top 4 are interchangeable. Winning at home, a cold-shooting night, or a hiccup against Boyden-Hull will determine the conf champ.

Add Western to these 4 and you have 5 of the top 10 in 2A.

Last edited:
Standings

GLR - 1-0
MOC - 1-0
Sheldon - 1-0
Sioux Center- 1-0
West Lyon - 1-0
Boyden Hull - 0-1
Central Lyon 0-1
Okoboji - 0-1
Rock Valley - 0-1
Sibley O - 0-1

Friday games:
Sheldon @ Sioux Center
MOC @ West Lyon
Sibley O @ Central Lyon
Okoboji @ Boyden Hull
Rock Valley @ GLR

Last edited:
1. Sioux Center - Everybody back and way too deep for most teams to stay close. Lack of tough schedule compared to Western may bite them in playoffs.
2. Sheldon - Enough size to compete with Sioux Center and good shooters as well. We'll find out tomorrow night.
3. Rock Valley -Big gap between 2 and 3. Rock Valley got blown out by SC Tuesday and is missing a key player for the season.
4. West Lyon - Good athletes but somebody needs to fill the void in scoring. Snyder needs to be more active on offense than years past.
5. GLR- Lots of experience returning. Favorite in 1A for NWI.
6. Boyden-Hull- Great coaching will have them playing well at the end but I expect some growing pains to start the year.
7. MOC-FV- I could interchange MOC w/ BH. Great coaching but lack of experience is a concern.
8. Okoboji
9. Central Lyon
10. Sibley-Ocheydan

Should be a fun year. I think Sioux Center should be the favorite to go to state unless they run into lock down defense or insanely cold shooting night. They're going to try and outscore everybody and definitely have the weapons to do it. I expect another Western vs SC barn burner to go to state.

1. Sioux Center - Everybody back and way too deep for most teams to stay close. Lack of tough schedule compared to Western may bite them in playoffs.
2. Sheldon - Enough size to compete with Sioux Center and good shooters as well. We'll find out tomorrow night.
3. Rock Valley -Big gap between 2 and 3. Rock Valley got blown out by SC Tuesday and is missing a key player for the season.
4. West Lyon - Good athletes but somebody needs to fill the void in scoring. Snyder needs to be more active on offense than years past.
5. GLR- Lots of experience returning. Favorite in 1A for NWI.
6. Boyden-Hull- Great coaching will have them playing well at the end but I expect some growing pains to start the year.
7. MOC-FV- I could interchange MOC w/ BH. Great coaching but lack of experience is a concern.
8. Okoboji
9. Central Lyon
10. Sibley-Ocheydan

Should be a fun year. I think Sioux Center should be the favorite to go to state unless they run into lock down defense or insanely cold shooting night. They're going to try and outscore everybody and definitely have the weapons to do it. I expect another Western vs SC barn burner to go to state.
Who is the player missing for Rock Valley?

Standings

GLR - 1-0
MOC - 1-0
Sheldon - 1-0
Sioux Center- 1-0
West Lyon - 1-0
Boyden Hull - 0-1
Central Lyon 0-1
Okoboji - 0-1
Rock Valley - 0-1
Sibley O - 0-1

Friday games:
Sheldon @ Sioux Center
MOC @ West Lyon
Sibley O @ Central Lyon
Okoboji @ Boyden Hull
Rock Valley @ GLR

Updated Standings

Sioux Center 2-0
West Lyon 2-0
Boyden-Hull 1-1
GLR 1-1
MOC 1-1
Rock Valley 1-1
Sheldon 1-1
Sibley O 1-1
Central Lyon 0-2
Okoboji 0-2

Updated Standings

Sioux Center 3-0
West Lyon 3-0
GLR 2-1
MOC 2-1
Sheldon 2-1
Boyden Hull 1-2
Rock Valley 1-2
Sibley O 1-2
Central Lyon 0-3
Okoboji 0-3

Sioux Center --------4-0
George little Rock---3-1
Sheldon--------------3-1
West Lyon------------3-1
MOC------------------2-2
Rock Valley-----------2-2
Sibley Ocheyedan---2-2
Boyden Hull----------1-3
Central Lyon---------0-4
Okoboji---------------0-4

Top 5 PPG
1.) Trenton DeHaan 23.2
2.) Micah Meyer 22.4
3.) Grant Brouwer 18.3
4.) Tyler Van Beek 17.3
5.) Cade Moser 16.0

They played last night.
Boyden-Hull Comets - 51
George-Little Rock Mustangs - 82

GLR is the real deal. They are playing without one of their best shooters who will be back shortly. I would be surprised if they didn’t make a deep playoff run.

GLR and the 2A teams in the Siouxland are very impressive.

Last edited:
The West Lyon/Sioux Center game this Friday will be a big one. Sioux Center looks like the team to beat in the Siouxland, but Sheldon and West Lyon are right behind them.

Should be fun!

SC vs West Lyon was close until right before half when SC went up 6 and blew it open in the second half. I think SC is in a tier by themselves in the Siouxland and quite possibly NW Iowa. Sheldon, WL, GLR, and RV are all going to battle for second. As far as district 1 goes, we’ll see how good Unity is when they play SC in the new year. I think Unity and Western are going to be contenders and will keep improving with more of a competitive schedule than SC. Should be a fun next couple of months!

Sioux Center is very good. This might be their year for a deep run. Unity doesn’t have a tougher schedule than SC IMO Western yes but not Unity.

Sioux Center is very good. This might be their year for a deep run. Unity doesn’t have a tougher schedule than SC IMO Western yes but not Unity.
Unity plays Heelan, Sioux Falls Christian, Western, Rock Valley, Sioux Center and Remsen St. Mary's after Christmas, and they played both LeMars and Spirit Lake before. Not saying it's tougher than what Sioux Center has, but it's probably not a whole lot weaker.

Through Jan. 5
Sioux Center 9-0
Sheldon 8-1
West Lyon 6-3
Rock Valley 6-3
George-LR 5-4
MOC-FV 5-4
Sibley-Och 3-6
Boyden-Hull 2-7
Okoboji 1-8
Central Lyon 0-9

Upcoming schedule (conf. games only):

Friday, Jan. 12
Rock Valley at Sioux Center
Sheldon at Boyden-Hull
West Lyon at Okoboji
MOC-FV at Central Lyon
Sibley-Och at George-LR

Tuesday, Jan. 16
Sioux Center at Sheldon
West Lyon at MOC-FV
George-LR at Rock Valley
Central Lyon at Sibley-Och
Boyden-Hull at Okoboji

Friday, Jan. 19
Sioux Center at Okoboji
Sheldon at Rock Valley
Boyden-Hull at MOC-FV
Sibley-Och at West Lyon
Central Lyon at George-LR

Friday, Jan. 12
Sioux Center 89, Rock Valley 65
Sheldon 59, Boyden-Hull 37
MOC-FV 65, Central Lyon 58
West Lyon 70, Okoboji 50
George-LR 72, Sibley-Och 51

Tuesday, Jan. 16
Sioux Center (10-0) at Sheldon (9-1)
West Lyon (7-3) at MOC-FV (6-4)
George-LR (6-4) at Rock Valley (6-4)
Central Lyon (0-10) at Sibley-Och (3-7)
Boyden-Hull (2-8) at Okoboji (1-9)

Friday, Jan. 19
Sioux Center at Okoboji
Sheldon at Rock Valley
Boyden-Hull at MOC-FV
Sibley-Och at West Lyon
Central Lyon at George-LR

Sioux Center @ Sheldon will be a great match-up for the conference lead.

Big implications for district seeding as well. Could determine who's on the opposite bracket from Western.
Substate 1 is going to be brutal this year.

Big Day for the Siouxland this past Saturday at the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls
G-LR beat #1 ranked in Class B in South Dakota Clark/Willow Lake 61-54.
West Lyon Beat #4 ranked in Class A in SD Aberdeen Roncalli 56-53.
Both Clark and Roncalli were undefeated going into the games.

Sioux Center came up short against a outstanding Sioux Falls Christian team Saturday night however at the pentagon. But overall was an impressive day at the Pentagon for the siouxland.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Big Day for the Siouxland this past Saturday at the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls
G-LR beat #1 ranked in Class B in South Dakota Clark/Willow Lake 61-54.
West Lyon Beat #4 ranked in Class A in SD Aberdeen Roncalli 56-53.
Both Clark and Roncalli were undefeated going into the games.

Sioux Center came up short against a outstanding Sioux Falls Christian team Saturday night however at the pentagon. But overall was an impressive day at the Pentagon for the siouxland.
Roncalli was not undefeated going into it...they lost the night before. Roncalli isn't a great win because they are in the NE corner of the state, and always have an inflated record. Of their wins they have 3 wins against teams with a winning record, each of those though are only 1 game above .500. Same could be said to an extent about Clark WIllow Lake. The SE part of the state in Class A is where the best teams are. Sioux Falls Christian, Madison, Tea, Dakota Valley, and Tri-Valley all from the same conference, made the state tournament last year. Placing 1st-5th in the tournament. Same is going to be said this year in class A.

Tuesday, Jan. 16
Sheldon 70, Sioux Center 63
MOC-FV 52, West Lyon 44
George-LR 65, Rock Valley 62
Sibley-Och 61, Central Lyon 47
Okoboji 52, Boyden-Hull 45

Friday, Jan. 19
Sioux Center (10-1) at Okoboji (2-9)
Sheldon (10-1) at Rock Valley (6-5)
Boyden-Hull (2-9) at MOC-FV (7-4)
Sibley-Och (4-7) at West Lyon (7-4)
Central Lyon (0-11) at George-LR (7-4)

Do you think that SC, Sheldon, and Western will all be placed in the same substate? It'd really suck to see the association do that to the top 3 teams in the state
Sheldon is the only one that has a prayer of getting pulled east.

Western, Sheldon, SC, West Lyon, Rock Valley, Unity.
We'll see some great District games that probably deserve a bigger stage.

Right now, it will probably be Sheldon/SC rematch to see who gets to take on Western @ Sub-State.
(You could probably recycle this line for the last 15 years)

Rock Valley, Unity, West Lyon and Western in Dist 2 (Substate 1)

Sheldon and Sioux Center in Dist 3 (Substate 2)

Friday, Jan. 19
Rock Valley 59, Sheldon 45
Boyden-Hull 55, MOC-FV 40
Sioux Center 74, Okoboji 59
West Lyon 69, Sibley-Och 29
George-LR 57, Central Lyon 40

Tuesday, Jan. 23
MOC-FV (7-5) at Sioux Center (11-1)
Okoboji (2-10) at Sheldon (10-2)
West Lyon (8-4) at George-LR (8-4)
Rock Valley (7-5) at Central Lyon (0-12)
Boyden-Hull (3-9) at Sibley-Och (4-8)

Friday, Jan. 26
Sheldon at MOC-FV
Sioux Center at Sibley-Och
Central Lyon at West Lyon
George-LR at Boyden-Hull
Rock Valley at Okoboji

Last edited:
Tuesday, Jan. 23
MOC-FV 80, Sioux Center 74
Sibley-Och 63, Boyden-Hull 54
George-LR 73, West Lyon 48
Rock Valley 79, Central Lyon 42

Thursday, Jan. 25
Okoboji (2-10) at Sheldon (10-2) [postponed from 1/23]

Friday, Jan. 26

Sheldon at MOC-FV (8-5)
Sioux Center (11-2) at Sibley-Och (5-8)
Central Lyon (0-13) at West Lyon (8-5)
George-LR (9-4) at Boyden-Hull (3-10)
Rock Valley (8-5) at Okoboji

What is going on with MOC lately? Great win by the Dutch on the road last night. Did Zeutenhorst play for Sioux Center? I didn't hear his name on the radio broadcast. MOC goes from beating WL to losing to BH (4-11) by 15, who lost to Sibley by 9 last night. I don't believe this is due to the conference being strong as it is significantly weaker than it's been the last 2-3 years. I suppose we'll see who sorts their way through the mess to earn a championship this season. Right now I think Sioux Center can still win it outright after looking at their schedule their only tough games will be GLR (5 game winning streak w/ wins over WL and RV) at home and WL on the road. Sheldon has MOC and GLR on the road and WL to end the regular season at home. I'm looking forward to an exciting and volatile next few weeks of conference play!

Zeutenhorst did not play again last night, I have not heard anything about when he'll be back. MOC shot the ball very well last night after playing poorly against Boyden Hull on Friday, they seem to be the wild card in the Siouxland. They can obviously play with the top tier of the conference on good nights, but they also look out of sorts on other nights against the bottom tier. Should be a fun end of the year!

I heard next Tuesday for Zeutenhorst to return. That labrum/shoulder injury can be a tricky one to recover and super easy to re-injure. Clearly, he is the difference maker on that team. They are really struggling without him.

Thursday, Jan. 25
Sheldon 66, Okoboji 38 [postponed from 1/23]

Friday, Jan. 26

Sheldon (11-2) at MOC-FV (8-5)
Sioux Center (11-2) at Sibley-Och (5-8)
Central Lyon (0-13) at West Lyon (8-5)
George-LR (9-4) at Boyden-Hull (3-10)
Rock Valley (8-5) at Okoboji (2-11)

Speaking of Boyden-Hull, do they have a chance to make a run in their substate?

No doubt about it. Their 3-10 is deceiving as they've played against the toughest schedule of anyone in 1A. No one just "slides" by the Lyons and Okobojis of this world. North Linn would have at least 5 L's and just be middle of the pack if they had BH's sched.

Friday, Jan. 26
Sheldon 61, MOC-FV 47
Sioux Center 76, Sibley-Och 46
West Lyon 63, Central Lyon 26
Boyden-Hull 56, George-LR 55
Rock Valley 71, Okoboji 61

Tuesday, Jan. 30
Sibley-Och (5-9) at Sheldon (12-2)
George-LR (9-5) at Sioux Center (12-2)
West Lyon (9-5) at Rock Valley (9-5)
MOC-FV (8-6) at Okoboji (2-12)
Boyden-Hull (4-10) at Central Lyon (0-14)

Friday, Feb. 2
Sheldon at George-LR
Rock Valley at MOC-FV
Okoboji at Sibley-Och
Central Lyon at Sioux Center
Boyden-Hull at West Lyon

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT