ADVERTISEMENT

2023 2A Top Ten --Preseason

usfhawk

All District
Jul 13, 2006
Here are a few predictions/guesses at the top 10 for 2A this fall:

1.) CLGLR: Defending champs return alot of talent from last year's team including two Iowa Hawkeye commits. Vander Zee and Eben will both be top players in the state any class. It will be interesting to see who is QB this fall. The loss of Lutmer is a big loss for the Lions, but alot of talent still there.

2.) Van Meter: VM is one of those teams you can count on every year. They really just reload. They bring back alot of talent from last year's 1A title team. Ben Gordon ran for 1700+ yards last year as a JR and should carry the load for them again this year. Van Meter will roll through D7.

3.) West Lyon: WL graduates a big SR class from last year but they have a solid group of young athletes coming up. Look for WL to be in the mix in D1.

4.) Western Christian: Western returns alot of talent from last years top10 1A team. QB and top RB are both back along with some talented WRs. They will need to replace some guys up front and alot of tackles on defense. District 1 really looks to be the most difficult in 2A.

5.) Greene County: GC returns their QB from last year's playoff team along with a good group of athletes, Losing RB and big TE hurt but should be a really good team once again this fall.

6.) Monticello: Its going to be the Preston Ries show once again this fall for the Panthers. Ries may be the top football player in 2A will be asked to do everything.

7.) Spirit Lake: SL will return a good young QB/RB combo but will need to replace alot on defense. SL adds to the list of very good teams in NW Iowa.

8.) Osage: Max Knudsen is back for the Green Devils, but he will have to find a couple new targets as Osage graduated some quality athletes. D3 is going to be interesting this fall!

9.) West Marshall: WM returns their top back from last fall. WM and PCM will be the favorites in D6.

10.) North Fayette Valley: NFV return their QB and RB from last fall and should be in the hunt for D3.

District 1 and District 3 really stand out as the top two districts this fall.

I look for Mediapolis to have another good year. I’d put them in the top 12 right now with room to move up based on how they fill the void left at RB and senior leadership from last year. Also, lost TE (though injury kept him out on offense most of the season) and experienced QB. They bring back 4 starters on OL and more with experience. It’ll be RB by committee at least to start and will look to see how the QB develops. Being able to pass to unstack the box will be key. Lots of ?’s in D5.

Here are a few predictions/guesses at the top 10 for 2A this fall:

1.) CLGLR: Defending champs return alot of talent from last year's team including two Iowa Hawkeye commits. Vander Zee and Eben will both be top players in the state any class. It will be interesting to see who is QB this fall. The loss of Lutmer is a big loss for the Lions, but alot of talent still there.

2.) Van Meter: VM is one of those teams you can count on every year. They really just reload. They bring back alot of talent from last year's 1A title team. Ben Gordon ran for 1700+ yards last year as a JR and should carry the load for them again this year. Van Meter will roll through D7.

3.) West Lyon: WL graduates a big SR class from last year but they have a solid group of young athletes coming up. Look for WL to be in the mix in D1.

4.) Western Christian: Western returns alot of talent from last years top10 1A team. QB and top RB are both back along with some talented WRs. They will need to replace some guys up front and alot of tackles on defense. District 1 really looks to be the most difficult in 2A.

5.) Greene County: GC returns their QB from last year's playoff team along with a good group of athletes, Losing RB and big TE hurt but should be a really good team once again this fall.

6.) Monticello: Its going to be the Preston Ries show once again this fall for the Panthers. Ries may be the top football player in 2A will be asked to do everything.

7.) Spirit Lake: SL will return a good young QB/RB combo but will need to replace alot on defense. SL adds to the list of very good teams in NW Iowa.

8.) Osage: Max Knudsen is back for the Green Devils, but he will have to find a couple new targets as Osage graduated some quality athletes. D3 is going to be interesting this fall!

9.) West Marshall: WM returns their top back from last fall. WM and PCM will be the favorites in D6.

10.) North Fayette Valley: NFV return their QB and RB from last fall and should be in the hunt for D3.

District 1 and District 3 really stand out as the top two districts this fall.
Pretty good list!! I would maybe put Spirit Lake above Monticello and replace NFV with Carroll Kuemper, but other than that I think this is great. I think there is a pretty clear top 3-4 and the state champion will be one of them. West side of the state looks strong this year as well as the NE part of the state.

Good list, I'd put New Hampton in there somewhere. They return the top rusher in 2A (Braden McShane) and a big, physical OL. D3 has five solid teams (New Hampton, Osage, Waukon, Crestwood, NFV, Oelwein). I think that's the order they finish.

Reactions: blcoach80
Who’s scrimmaging who this week? Mepo is playing host to Ft. Madison for their annual Meet the Bulldogs night.

There are 60+ scrimmages listed on Bound for Friday night, and I'm guessing there are also a bunch that aren't listed (like Mepo/FtMad).

I look for Mediapolis to have another good year. I’d put them in the top 12 right now with room to move up based on how they fill the void left at RB and senior leadership from last year. Also, lost TE (though injury kept him out on offense most of the season) and experienced QB. They bring back 4 starters on OL and more with experience. It’ll be RB by committee at least to start and will look to see how the QB develops. Being able to pass to unstack the box will be key. Lots of ?’s in D5.
Mepo has the best punter in the state without equal. I just do not see them being a top 10 2A squad this year. They lost too much (78% offensive production graduated). Prove me wrong.

Good luck to your son.

Last edited:
Mepo has the best punter in the state without equal. I just do not see them being a top 10 2A squad this year. They lost too much (78% offensive production graduated). Prove me wrong.

Good luck to your son.
Maybe they brought in some recruits from West Liberty to help out?

Maybe they brought in some recruits from West Liberty to help out?
south park beat a dead horse GIF

I'm guessing Pinehawk made some remark about WB and/or recruiting. I blocked him, so I can't read it.

I'm the better for it!
that's exactly what he did. Talked about "maybe they (Mepo) brought in recruits from West Liberty"

Big shocker. He tried to hijack yet another post.

Best wishes to the teams in 2A. Gonna be a fun battle at the top with Van Meter moving up

West Branch's new running back this was the starter last year at West Liberty. Just like they grabbed the best West Liberty lineman the year before. Just like they took the West Liberty QB several years ago.
You'd think WL would start to get a little tired of West Branch swooping in and recruiting all their best players away, year after year.

West Branch's new running back this was the starter last year at West Liberty. Just like they grabbed the best West Liberty lineman the year before. Just like they took the West Liberty QB several years ago.
You'd think WL would start to get a little tired of West Branch swooping in and recruiting all their best players away, year after year.
How’s Regina going to be this year? We’ll see them week 3.

How’s Regina going to be this year? We’ll see them week 3.
This year, not at the level everyone has become accustomed I suspect. Could have used a couple of West Liberty transfers. But, a lot of good young kids coming up.

Heard guy got cut for the Green Bay Packers yesterday. Plays O-line, West Branch already recruiting him for next year as a sophomore with 3 years eligibility.

Reactions: Pinehawk
This year, not at the level everyone has become accustomed I suspect. Could have used a couple of West Liberty transfers. But, a lot of good young kids coming up.
I'm great friends with the family that just moved to WB. The family of the kids (on the Dad's side) are all from WB. I played HS ball against their Uncle. He was an athletic freak! RIP Chad. Was just at their house (that's in WB district) two weeks ago. They're happy with their decision to move. Families do it all of the time @Pinehawk

Why don't we all meet up and have a beer and chat HS Football. Or would you rather just be a douche bag who tries to be an investigative reporter but fails ??

Offer is open to anyone here. Would be a fun time to meet some of you.

• Sad
Reactions: Pinehawk
I'm great friends with the family that just moved to WB. The family of the kids (on the Dad's side) are all from WB. I played HS ball against their Uncle. He was an athletic freak! RIP Chad. Was just at their house (that's in WB district) two weeks ago. They're happy with their decision to move. Families do it all of the time @Pinehawk

Why don't we all meet up and have a beer and chat HS Football. Or would you rather just be a douche bag who tries to be an investigative reporter but fails ??

Offer is open to anyone here. Would be a fun time to meet some of you.
Since Dog passed away I don’t make it to Herb & Lou’s as often but pizza and beer there would be a good place to chat about football.

I thought Regina had some good moments last night. Depth may be a concern and they had a couple of ol schemes that raised an eyebrow. Good to get closer to the season

Don’t try to tell anyone the move wasn’t specifically for sports.
When Arland Bruce moved for sports, the IHSAA ruled him ineligible.

Looks like alot of solid week 1 games:

Van Meter @ Underwood
Spirit Lake @ Algona
West Marshall vs. Nevada
Osage @ St. Ansgar
West Lyon @ Sioux Center

Good list, I'd put New Hampton in there somewhere. They return the top rusher in 2A (Braden McShane) and a big, physical OL. D3 has five solid teams (New Hampton, Osage, Waukon, Crestwood, NFV, Oelwein). I think that's the order they finish.
Last year Waukon knocked New Hampton out of the playoffs in the second round, I think Cresco knocked Osage and Waukon out in the 2nd/3rd round, before just missing the dome. NFV has been solid for 5 years now. This district has 3 or 4 top 10 caliber teams in it, but will beat each other up over the course of the season. McShane is a stud if they can keep him healthy. He has had a ton of carries over the last 2 seasons and has taken a beating against tough competition and this year will be no different.

Wow, the Des Moines Register doesn’t think much of Mepo and thinks very highly of Columbus Community.

No. 5 Columbus at Mediapolis

Punting is winning, and Mediapolis has the No. 1 senior punter in the country in Drew Miller. Hate to say it though, I don't think punting will slow down Columbus running back Kaden Amigon.

Columbus 31-13

Wow, the Des Moines Register doesn’t think much of Mepo and thinks very highly of Columbus Community.

No. 5 Columbus at Mediapolis

Punting is winning, and Mediapolis has the No. 1 senior punter in the country in Drew Miller. Hate to say it though, I don't think punting will slow down Columbus running back Kaden Amigon.

Columbus 31-13
I think Columbus will win, also.

But 31-13 seems a bit much. They're pretty one dimensional.

I'm sure there's better things out there but Football Fridays in a small town is about as good as it gets for me. Walked into the local coffee shop this morning (meaning the gas station) talked with the old timers about tonight's game, had coffee with co workers talking about tonight's game, presidential candidate Ron DeSantis was in town and also mentioned the defending state champs in his talk. Rocky is buzzing today.

Expectations are high this year for CL-GLR. Yes the Lions have to move on from arguably the best athlete to roam the halls of CL in Zach Lutmer but they return some key pieces from last years squad. With 2 Iowa commits on the roster there's still plenty of talent. Look for Reece Vander Zee and Graham Eben to lead the way but the strength of the Lions will be upfront. The offensive line return 3 starters and the 2 new guys fit right in. The line looked really good last week in the scrimmage against Lemars and I look for the Lions to rely on that strength all year. The same can be said on the deffensive side of the ball. Lions will have only 1 lineman playing both ways this year which should help keep everyone fresh. The Lions have to replace 2 LBs that were 3 year starters but I think they've found 2 good kids to hit the ground running. I think something they'll miss the most is not having 2 6'5"+ CBs. Although the 2 kids starting at CB probably have more speed they wont have that height but I think they'll do a fine job defending the outside. The question everyones been asking is whos going to be playing QB this year. The Lions will have packages for a couple different QBs but I think we will see Reece Vander Zee get the majority of the snaps there.

Not a whole lot of prediction for tonights game against Emmetsburg. Traditionally a blue chip school the E-Hawks have been working their way back into living up to that tradition the past few years. With only 39 kids on the roster in 9-12th depth looks to be an issue for them. Although its Emmetsburg and knowing the type of kids traditionally from that town you know its going to be a physical game tonight. I cant wait to get the season started. It's going to be a great night for football!!!

Mepo beats Columbus 33-7. Was 26-0 at half. 3 TD passes for Miller. Amigon got his yards, but big runs were limited. He did have a 80 yard TD called back on holding. Hard runner, tough kid.

Reactions: mepohawk16
Osage dropped their season opener to cross county rival St ansgar tonight 25-24. St. Ansgar scored 4 touchdowns but only converted one pat field goal. Osage scored 3 times and converted all 3 2 point conversions.

Osage snapped the ball over the qbs head on the first play of the game with St ansgar recovering on the 3 yard line and scoring one play later. Aside from one long touchdown run Osage shut down St ansgars ground game effectively and slowed the game down. St ansgar was able to find some production through the air however going 3 of 5 for 133 yards with two touchdowns.

Denver beat New Hampton 42-14

Osage dropped their season opener to cross county rival St ansgar tonight 25-24. St. Ansgar scored 4 touchdowns but only converted one pat field goal. Osage scored 3 times and converted all 3 2 point conversions.

Osage snapped the ball over the qbs head on the first play of the game with St ansgar recovering on the 3 yard line and scoring one play later. Aside from one long touchdown run Osage shut down St ansgars ground game effectively and slowed the game down. St ansgar was able to find some production through the air however going 3 of 5 for 133 yards with two touchdowns.
St Ansgar needs Matt Sherman to come back and have a child. Bad joke but I think that's where he's from?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT