ADVERTISEMENT

Way to early rankings (Now that we know who's in each class)

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
These are just my initial rankings without digging a ton into each class. I do my best to try to figure out who is returning lineman but that can be difficult. Anyway this is what I have.

5A
1. Southeast Polk
2. Dowling
3. Cedar Falls
4. Johnston
5. Pleasant Valley
6. Waukee NW
7. Ankeny Centennial
8. Kennedy
9. Valley
10. City High

Others: Ankeny, Liberty, Prairie, Ames

Metro dominating again, and honestly I may not have enough of the power suburb schools. I like what SEP returns as the state champ, Dowling is always a safe pick, Cedar Falls was super young and inconsistent but I think they could be a real contender, after that it is the usual suspects.

4A
1. Xavier
2. ADM
3. Lewis Central
4. Boundurant Farrar
5. Western Dubuque
6. Newton
7. Glenwood
8. Spencer
9. North Polk
10. North Scott

Others: Waverly Shell Rock, Indianola, Burlington

To me 4A is kind of open, I start with Xavier because they are always there. ADM is moving up but loaded and I don't think 4A for them will be a big deal. After that it is kind of hazy, I have Lewis Central because they have always been there, BF has a stud. Western Dubuque was very young.

3A
1. Humboldt
2. Harlan
3. Mount Vernon
4. Fort Madison
5. Independence
6. Benton
7. Solon
8. Nevada
9. Central DeWitt
10. Sioux Center

Others: Williamsburg, West Delaware, Creston, Wahlert

Very similar to 4A there isn't a team that just blows me away as a clear favorite. I like what Humboldt returns and has been very consistent the last couple of years. Harlan loses a lot but I think they're back. Mount Vernon returns their QB who was hurt for the title game, and Fort Madison may be a reach at 4 but they return a bunch from a good team dropping down. After that there are a ton of teams that I could see in the dome or maybe losing early.

2A
1. West Lyon
2. Van Meter
3. Central Lyon GLR
4. Monticello
5. Greene County
6. Spirit Lake
7. West Marshall
8. North Fayette Valley
9. Western Christian
10. Waukon

Others: DSM Christian, PCM, Roland Story, Mediapolis

I like what West Lyon returns and obviously the tradition that they have makes them an easy top pick, Van Meter I feel will continue to roll even moving up, they have been so good for so long. Central Lyon GLR still brings back a bunch but I got the feeling that they had a special senior class last year. Monticello has that guy, and Greene County brings back a bunch off of a talented team.

1A
1. Underwood
2. MFL MarMac
3. Grundy Center
4. Pella Christian
5. Sigourney Keota
6. West Sioux
7. DNH
8. Cascade
9. Treynor
10. Regina

Others: West Branch, AP, Denver, Wilton, Alburnett, AHSTW

Underwood loses their QB, but return a lot of other pieces and I think they have been very consistent as a program. I really like what MFL has been doing the last few years and I think they just continue to build. I would not be surprised at all if Grundy Center wins it all, they are moving up but they return a ton off of their title team and their younger levels have been very good. After that I think it is pretty wide open but a lot of quality teams.

Class A
1. West Hancock
2. Lynnville Sully
3. East Buchanan
4. Woodbury Central
5. ACGC
6. Columbus
7. Wapsie
8. Southwest Valley
9. South Central Calhoun
10. Southwest Valley

Others: Saint Ansgar, Madrid, LoMa, Nashua Plainfield, Lisbon, Maquoketa Valley

The top 4 teams were all very good teams last year that return a ton, honestly I am just going off how I would have ranked them at the end of the season last year, I think West Hancock is the favorite with what they bring back, but all of the top 4 could challenge, ACGC is dropping down and I think they could be a true contender, after that it is a bunch of teams who should be solid.

8 Man
1. Gladbrook Rienbeck
2. CAM
3. Don Bosco
4. Central City
5. St Marys
6. Fremont Mills
7. WACO
8. Montezuma
9. Southeast Warren
10. Newell Fonda

Others: Baxter, Lenox, Turkey Valley, Easton Valley

I will be the first to admit I struggle the most with 8 man, most of the teams are traditional teams, G-R does return a ton off of a solid team so that is why I have them at #1.

These are meant more as a conversation starter then anything else.

Last edited:
These are just my initial rankings without digging a ton into each class. I do my best to try to figure out who is returning lineman but that can be difficult. Anyway this is what I have.

5A
1. Southeast Polk
2. Dowling
3. Cedar Falls
4. Johnston
5. Pleasant Valley
6. Waukee NW
7. Ankeny Centennial
8. Kennedy
9. Valley
10. City High

Metro dominating again, and honestly I may not have enough of the power suburb schools. I like what SEP returns as the state champ, Dowling is always a safe pick, Cedar Falls was super young and inconsistent but I think they could be a real contender, after that it is the usual suspects.

4A
1. Xavier
2. ADM
3. Lewis Central
4. Boundurant Farrar
5. Western Dubuque
6. Newton
7. Glenwood
8. Spencer
9. North Polk
10. North Scott

To me 4A is kind of open, I start with Xavier because they are always there. ADM is moving up but loaded and I don't think 4A for them will be a big deal. After that it is kind of hazy, I have Lewis Central because they have always been there, BF has a stud. Western Dubuque was very young.

3A
1. Humboldt
2. Harlan
3. Mount Vernon
4. Fort Madison
5. Independence
6. Benton
7. Solon
8. Nevada
9. Central DeWitt
10. Sioux Center

Very similar to 4A there isn't a team that just blows me away as a clear favorite. I like what Humboldt returns and has been very consistent the last couple of years. Harlan loses a lot but I think they're back. Mount Vernon returns their QB who was hurt for the title game, and Fort Madison may be a reach at 4 but they return a bunch from a good team dropping down. After that there are a ton of teams that I could see in the dome or maybe losing early.

2A
1. West Lyon
2. Van Meter
3. Central Lyon GLR
4. Monticello
5. Greene County
6. Spirit Lake
7. West Marshall
8. North Fayette Valley
9. Western Christian
10. Waukon

I like what West Lyon returns and obviously the tradition that they have makes them an easy top pick, Van Meter I feel will continue to roll even moving up, they have been so good for so long. Central Lyon GLR still brings back a bunch but I got the feeling that they had a special senior class last year. Monticello has that guy, and Greene County brings back a bunch off of a talented team.

1A
1. Underwood
2. MFL MarMac
3. Grundy Center
4. Pella Christian
5. Sigourney Keota
6. West Sioux
7. DNH
8. Cascade
9. Treynor
10. Regina

Underwood loses their QB, but return a lot of other pieces and I think they have been very consistent as a program. I really like what MFL has been doing the last few years and I think they just continue to build. I would not be surprised at all if Grundy Center wins it all, they are moving up but they return a ton off of their title team and their younger levels have been very good. After that I think it is pretty wide open but a lot of quality teams.

Class A
1. West Hancock
2. Lynnville Sully
3. East Buchanan
4. Woodbury Central
5. ACGC
6. South Central Calhoun
7. North Linn
8. Southwest Valley
9. Madrid
10. Saint Ansgar

Others: LoMa, Nashua Plainfield, Lisbon, Maquoketa Valley

The top 4 teams were all very good teams last year that return a ton, honestly I am just going off how I would have ranked them at the end of the season last year, I think West Hancock is the favorite with what they bring back, but all of the top 4 could challenge, ACGC is dropping down and I think they could be a true contender, after that it is a bunch of teams who should be solid.

8 Man
1. Gladbrook Rienbeck
2. CAM
3. Don Bosco
4. Central City
5. St Marys
6. Fremont Mills
7. WACO
8. Montezuma
9. Southeast Warren
10. Newell Fonda

I will be the first to admit I struggle the most with 8 man, most of the teams are traditional teams, G-R does return a ton off of a solid team so that is why I have them at #1.

Columbus Junction is a top 10 team in class A maybe even top 5, they return a ton of horses.

5A
1. Southeast Polk
2. Dowling
3. Cedar Falls
4. Johnston
5. Pleasant Valley
6. Waukee NW
7. Ankeny Centennial
8. Kennedy
9. Valley
10. City High

4A
1. Xavier
2. ADM
3. Lewis Central
4. Boundurant Farrar
5. Western Dubuque
6. Newton
7. Glenwood
8. Spencer
9. North Polk
10. North Scott

3A
1. Humboldt
2. Harlan
3. Mount Vernon
4. Fort Madison
5. Independence
6. Benton
7. Solon
8. Nevada
9. Central DeWitt
10. Sioux Center

2A
1. West Lyon
2. Van Meter
3. Central Lyon GLR
4. Monticello
5. Greene County
6. Spirit Lake
7. West Marshall
8. North Fayette Valley
9. Western Christian
10. Waukon

1A
1. Underwood
2. MFL MarMac
3. Grundy Center
4. Pella Christian
5. Sigourney Keota
6. West Sioux
7. DNH
8. Cascade
9. Treynor
10. Regina

Class A
1. West Hancock
2. Lynnville Sully
3. East Buchanan
4. Woodbury Central
5. ACGC
6. South Central Calhoun
7. North Linn
8. Southwest Valley
9. Madrid
10. Saint Ansgar

8 Man
1. Gladbrook Rienbeck
2. CAM
3. Don Bosco
4. Central City
5. St Marys
6. Fremont Mills
7. WACO
8. Montezuma
9. Southeast Warren
10. Newell Fonda

2A list looks pretty good- Carroll Kuemper is another team to watch!! They return a QB and a Lineman who are each receiving a lot of college interest. I wouldn't be surprised if Van Meter makes the jump to 2A and immediately wins it all!! Overall 2A looks pretty strong throughout.

5A
1. Southeast Polk
2. Dowling
3. Cedar Falls
4. Johnston
5. Pleasant Valley
6. Waukee NW
7. Ankeny Centennial
8. Kennedy
9. Valley
10. City High

4A
1. Xavier
2. ADM
3. Lewis Central
4. Boundurant Farrar
5. Western Dubuque
6. Newton
7. Glenwood
8. Spencer
9. North Polk
10. North Scott

3A
1. Humboldt
2. Harlan
3. Mount Vernon
4. Fort Madison
5. Independence
6. Benton
7. Solon
8. Nevada
9. Central DeWitt
10. Sioux Center

2A
1. West Lyon
2. Van Meter
3. Central Lyon GLR
4. Monticello
5. Greene County
6. Spirit Lake
7. West Marshall
8. North Fayette Valley
9. Western Christian
10. Waukon

1A
1. Underwood
2. MFL MarMac
3. Grundy Center
4. Pella Christian
5. Sigourney Keota
6. West Sioux
7. DNH
8. Cascade
9. Treynor
10. Regina

Class A
1. West Hancock
2. Lynnville Sully
3. East Buchanan
4. Woodbury Central
5. ACGC
6. South Central Calhoun
7. North Linn
8. Southwest Valley
9. Madrid
10. Saint Ansgar

8 Man
1. Gladbrook Rienbeck
2. CAM
3. Don Bosco
4. Central City
5. St Marys
6. Fremont Mills
7. WACO
8. Montezuma
9. Southeast Warren
10. Newell Fonda

I also look at the line they have coming back. That is where I think Underwood is going to slip. They have a lot graduating on the line. GC and West Sioux would be the 2 favorites. Grundy because they have a lot returning and WS because it is WS. PC also loses a lot of seniors. With Waukee West moving up to class 2A, it is a little more wide open than the past few years.

South Hamilton is vastly underrated in 1A, returning 4 of their 6 top rushers as well as 6 of their 7 up front.

I personally think the state tries to keep them from the Grundy/Dike/A-P district.

I had to go back and edit my class A rankings for some reason I forgot Wapsie as well.

My attempt at a Waaayyyy to Early 5A rankings.

1. Southeast Polk
Impressive stat in the four playoff games last season. Gave up 3 points total before run time… THREE! SEP dude estimates 75-80% of their total snaps returns. Heavy favorites to threepeat.
2. Valley
“Rebuild” year last year that ended in the championship game. Talented Junior class that should carry momentum.
3. Dowling
Passing game and D-Line will be completely new. Will run the ball effectively though. Also, is Dowling where they just reload.
4. Cedar Falls
Can’t argue against the amount of production returning on both sides of the ball. Didn’t put up a ton of points but didn’t give up a ton either.
5. Johnston
Surprise team last year. Lived off of the big play and defensive turnovers. Tough call to really justify putting them in top 5 but really can’t think of too many reasons not to.
6. Pleasant Valley
Not sold on the Wing T being a championship winning system in today’s game, but playing good defense still is. Loses a ton but school is an athletic juggernaut. Reputation is now plug and play and win.
7. Ankeny Centennial
Returns a lot of production offensively. Plays competitively on both sides and should flip the football bragging rights to the “Northside”.
8. Iowa City High
Will move the ball and plays very aggressive defense.
9. Cedar Rapids Kennedy
Return enough on a consistent winner to have in the top 10.
10. Liberty
Arguably a dome team in 4A last year if quarters aren’t played in rainy/cold conditions. Looking at placing Linn Marr but went with the result from last year as a tiebreaker.

Next in: LM, Ankeny, Waukee NW

I had to go back and edit my class A rankings for some reason I forgot Wapsie as well.
Wapsie lost a hell of a senior class, they will have a ton to replace but they seem to do it every year. They wont be with Grundy next year so will be interesting who gets put in the same district as them.

@PNation

West Branch returns 5 starting OL. Just wanted to help with the narrative and research. Not to say they'll be a top 5 team, but having those anchors will sure help.

5A
1. Southeast Polk
2. Dowling
3. Cedar Falls
4. Johnston
5. Pleasant Valley
6. Waukee NW
7. Ankeny Centennial
8. Kennedy
9. Valley
10. City High

Cedar Falls has , I think, 16 returning starters. To go as far as they did with so many juniors last year was pretty remarkable. You could see how they got better when they got Centennial in the Dome for the playoffs and beat them. Really, Prairie and Centennial got them early (and good) before they could do anything on offense.

The defense was definitely their strength last year. They had trouble scoring points. Once they got that a bit figured out, they went on a nice run. The D-Line will have Srs Drew Campbell at DE (Iowa commit), Andrew Lageschulte at DT (hurt in first game last season) and Ian Bohnenkamp at the other DE. They have some juniors they can plug in and also for a five front. Drew Gerdes is for real at middle linebacker. Maybe undersized, but absolutely sound. Colin Coonradt at safety is like a linebacker. The corners will be decent as well. I think they only lost three starting seniors.

Offense has Jake Peters at left tackle and Will Tompkins at right tackle, and both are getting D1 looks and offers. Kolthoff is an anchor at center. Gelhaus just runs hard. It will be interesting to see the development of Hermansen at QB. People underestimate Logan Wroe...he can catch anything. Pretty sure only lost one receiver and the two guards to graduation. They are excited to see their schedule. Some great group match-ups and a tie-in with Kennedy.

Reactions: CF_93
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT