ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment Classifications

I have believed for years that 4A football playoff structure should not be the same as the lower classifications. For example it is an achievement for many lower schools to make it to Substate in other sports, while 3A and 4A schools begin their postseason at Substate.

The entire point of having different classifications is for competitive balance. Hopefully the state finally realizes there are other factors in considering how a school should be classified than just by the number of boys + girls who attend the school.

If they get it right, then 4A can be a super class of 32 teams based on multiple factors. Maybe even smaller number of schools than 32. Each team enters postseason.

For all other classes the top 32 make the postseason. Keep the banners for quarters/ semis/ championship whatever. I really don't care about banners.

But choose a better way to classify the schools. The easy and lazy way to do it is to count up the number of boys and girls. We're currently including girls numbers equal to boys when the participation of girls at most schools is 0%? That is the best factor we can find? MMCRU (I have no idea what that stands for, just using as example) should be classified as having the same competitive advantage as Iowa City Regina based on this? Seriously?
Okay if ppl want 32 teams again so bad then okay do it but unless you win that first round game treat it like any other sport absolutely no type of recognition from the state. That means “banner” like you keep saying lol but that also means no playoff appearance next to the names in the annual stat book or anything like that. It’s like any other team that didn’t even make the 32 team post season you want so bad. Quit trying to get your school and other schools participation trophies and bs recognition that’s not earned.

What does 'better' look like to you?

I already spelled out what would be better.

The formula for classification will probably be things that have been talked about on here for years. Anything is better than it is now.

Okay if ppl want 32 teams again so bad then okay do it but unless you win that first round game treat it like any other sport absolutely no type of recognition from the state. That means “banner” like you keep saying lol but that also means no playoff appearance next to the names in the annual stat book or anything like that. It’s like any other team that didn’t even make the 32 team post season you want so bad. Quit trying to get your school and other schools participation trophies and bs recognition that’s not earned.

You seem to get upset on banners and "participation trophies", one of which doesn't exist in Iowa High School Football. Neither one of those I care much about. I don't care about what the teams who would get knocked out of the first round of a 32 team playoff would get.

It is more about making sure that every team that earned it gets in. Especially teams from stacked districts. I would be shocked if a power house like Regina would be upset that the playoffs are expanded. I understand why some district champions don't want to play 3rd and 4th placed teams.

The current system is broke, especially the RPI system that favored teams playing down multiple classes to get into the playoffs. All signs point to an improvement after this season.

Reactions: dtk913
I already spelled out what would be better.

The formula for classification will probably be things that have been talked about on here for years. Anything is better than it is now.

And there will still be people unhappy. I hope you and the team you support get what you are looking for. Why? Because some school will still work harder or have more talent or better coaches or some other factor. Then we will see what the next ‘reason’ is. And to be honest I will chuckle if it’s a situation you deem ‘unfair’

You seem to get upset on banners and "participation trophies", one of which doesn't exist in Iowa High School Football. Neither one of those I care much about. I don't care about what the teams who would get knocked out of the first round of a 32 team playoff would get.

It is more about making sure that every team that earned it gets in. Especially teams from stacked districts. I would be shocked if a power house like Regina would be upset that the playoffs are expanded. I understand why some district champions don't want to play 3rd and 4th placed teams.

The current system is broke, especially the RPI system that favored teams playing down multiple classes to get into the playoffs. All signs point to an improvement after this season.
First off NO ONE that earned it is being left out because no 9-0 team has or will ever be left out. if you went 8-1 then you didn’t really earn anything you lost a game. It’s somewhat luck of the draw if you have anything in the loss column other than a zero. Now here goes about stacked districts I’m sure. Well you know what life’s not always fair it’s a good lesson for kids. Some years you get good draws on the schedule sometimes you get bad draws live with it.

And there will still be people unhappy. I hope you and the team you support get what you are looking for. Why? Because some school will still work harder or have more talent or better coaches or some other factor. Then we will see what the next ‘reason’ is. And to be honest I will chuckle if it’s a situation you deem ‘unfair’

He'll be right back on here after they change it, complaining that they didn't get it right because his team still isn't winning.
Maybe the IHSAA can just give his team an honorary championship so we can stop seeing him cry year after year.

Reactions: falconfanx3

Oh yeah, people will be unhappy when things change. Guys like Cidhawk, Pinehawk, and GoPanthers will struggle with it and first. We will be here to get you through it

First off NO ONE that earned it is being left out because no 9-0 team has or will ever be left out. if you went 8-1 then you didn’t really earn anything you lost a game. It’s somewhat luck of the draw if you have anything in the loss column other than a zero. Now here goes about stacked districts I’m sure. Well you know what life’s not always fair it’s a good lesson for kids. Some years you get good draws on the schedule sometimes you get bad draws live with it.

I'm not gonna be able to change your mind as you believe only 9-0 teams have earned a spot. We should prob take away everyone's precious banners that did not go undefeated. Life is not fair kids. It's the luck of the draw.

This might be the post ridiculous "playoff" post I have seen yet, and that is saying something. So why don't we just give the championship to whichever team has the best record at the end of the year? If more than one team has the same record they are co-champions. Maybe that isn't fair, but life is fair so they should be fine with that, right?

I think people forget this isn't about them, or other fans or the media. It should be about allowing the most kids/schools possible a chance to experience playoff football. There is no other high school sports atmosphere like a playoff football game and I don't care who is playing in it. If you don't want to watch a first round game then stay home (I doubt you will be missed). I guarantee you the team that wins a 32 team championship will be just as proud of that accomplishment as a team that wins a 16 team playoff championship. What else matters?

Reactions: rkhemp and Hwkfn1

If a team is 4-5 or 3-6 and they get into the first round of the playoffs cause a shitty district, and Get 90 hung on them. I don't want to write an email to the state explaining why I ran up the score. Because simply stating, "they earned it" doesn't cut it. They didn't earn crap. 32 teams allows mediocre teams in. What a joke

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
If a team is 4-5 or 3-6 and they get into the first round of the playoffs cause a shitty district, and Get 90 hung on them. I don't want to write an email to the state explaining why I ran up the score. Because simply stating, "they earned it" doesn't cut it. They didn't earn crap. 32 teams allows mediocre teams in. What a joke
This is why your argument doesn't work. I work with a team that is 7-3 vs in-class competition over the last 2 years. We have not made the playoffs in either year, and based on RPI were not really even close. We outscored in-class competition by 19.5 points/game over that span. Two of the three in-class games we lost were to playoff teams, and one of those was a dome team. We beat a team by 60 points that finished ahead of us in the final RPI. The reason we didn't get in is because we lost ND games against teams in a class above us and then didn't win our district. This year there was a two way tie in our district. We beat one of the co-champs by 17 and lost to the other in OT.

By your reasoning a team like ours is mediocre and doesn't deserve a chance to play a playoff game, even though we have won 70% of our in-class games, won by convincing margins and beat teams that have made runs in the playoffs. There are so many factors that are out of a teams control and everybody plays different competition so you can't compare Team A to Team B. If you want to make sure the best 16 teams get in you have to take more than 16 to start with.

Blowouts will happen. They still do. They will every year no matter how many teams are in. Blowouts are happening to teams that make it to the dome.

Sorry you had to write an email to the state on hanging 90 points on a playoff team. Never heard of that one in Iowa

This is why your argument doesn't work. I work with a team that is 7-3 vs in-class competition over the last 2 years. We have not made the playoffs in either year, and based on RPI were not really even close. We outscored in-class competition by 19.5 points/game over that span. Two of the three in-class games we lost were to playoff teams, and one of those was a dome team. We beat a team by 60 points that finished ahead of us in the final RPI. The reason we didn't get in is because we lost ND games against teams in a class above us and then didn't win our district. This year there was a two way tie in our district. We beat one of the co-champs by 17 and lost to the other in OT.

By your reasoning a team like ours is mediocre and doesn't deserve a chance to play a playoff game, even though we have won 70% of our in-class games, won by convincing margins and beat teams that have made runs in the playoffs. There are so many factors that are out of a teams control and everybody plays different competition so you can't compare Team A to Team B. If you want to make sure the best 16 teams get in you have to take more than 16 to start with.

No, that's not my point at all. my point is then voice an opinion on adjusting the RPI. Get bonuses for playing up, -'s for playing down. Kickers based on those factors to add into a SOS. take away opponents opponents. Use a similar structure style to BCmoore. But don't ask for 32 teams. Yes, maybe you did deserve to get in. I felt the same way as SA had one of the tougher, probably the toughest ND schedule in class A. Playing up in 3 out of 4 games against really good teams. But we didn't win our district. So we didn't get in. if your team was so talented, why not win the district to solve that problem? What makes you deserve a spot as a district runner up with a poor ND record. You can't say it's because you steamrolled your competition, because if you dominated your class so easily you would've won your district. your opinion should be to fix the RPI. Not extend it to 32 teams. 32 teams risk more injuries and allows lesser teams who don't deserve in, in. Just to make them feel like they tried.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Blowouts will happen. They still do. They will every year no matter how many teams are in. Blowouts are happening to teams that make it to the dome.

Sorry you had to write an email to the state on hanging 90 points on a playoff team. Never heard of that one in Iowa

If you win a game by more than a certain # of points you have to write an email to the state explaining all that you did to not attempt to run the score up on your opponent.

The above explanation is valid and brings to mind my prior post outlining the State of Kansas HS football PO format. Will there be blowouts in the 9th week matchups of 1vs16 seeds? Of course, but there probably will in each of the following rounds also, that’s just the nature of unbalanced parity. However, it solves the concerns over “being left out” of the PO’s, having too many PO games crammed into the IHSAA timeline and also allows for the state to tinker with regular season schedules so lower (& higher) tier schools have more competitive games without concerns about post season fallout (other than initial seeding).

No, that's not my point at all. my point is then voice an opinion on adjusting the RPI. Get bonuses for playing up, -'s for playing down. Kickers based on those factors to add into a SOS. take away opponents opponents. Use a similar structure style to BCmoore. But don't ask for 32 teams. Yes, maybe you did deserve to get in. I felt the same way as SA had one of the tougher, probably the toughest ND schedule in class A. Playing up in 3 out of 4 games against really good teams. But we didn't win our district. So we didn't get in. if your team was so talented, why not win the district to solve that problem? What makes you deserve a spot as a district runner up with a poor ND record. You can't say it's because you steamrolled your competition, because if you dominated your class so easily you would've won your district. your opinion should be to fix the RPI. Not extend it to 32 teams. 32 teams risk more injuries and allows lesser teams who don't deserve in, in. Just to make them feel like they tried.

Fixing the RPI is something the IHSAA would need to do and it would require a lot of tweaking to make it fair for everyone, and I really don't think you could ever make it fair across the board. The main reason being the state sets the schedule and not the schools, someone else is in charge of the biggest factor. There is no way they are going to tackle that.

Are you saying that it is impossible to have two playoff caliber teams in the same district? Districts are completely based on geography, so now geography is going to dictate which teams make the playoffs and which don't?

Fixing the RPI is something the IHSAA would need to do and it would require a lot of tweaking to make it fair for everyone, and I really don't think you could ever make it fair across the board. The main reason being the state sets the schedule and not the schools, someone else is in charge of the biggest factor. There is no way they are going to tackle that.

Are you saying that it is impossible to have two playoff caliber teams in the same district? Districts are completely based on geography, so now geography is going to dictate which teams make the playoffs and which don't?

No I actually believe some districts have 3 teams that would win a majority of the other districts. But I don't think going back to 32 teams is the fix more as the rpi. I am curious as to in BCmoore if you are comfortable sharing, where your team ended up ranked.

What is the certain # of points?

50 I believe. Which is tough at times due to varying circumstances. Imagine trying to tell JV kids, try not to score. Or simplifying your plays all so you don't run the risk of the state suspending you barring the outcome of your letter.

50 I believe. Which is tough at times due to varying circumstances. Imagine trying to tell JV kids, try not to score. Or simplifying your plays all so you don't run the risk of the state suspending you barring the outcome of your letter.
A coach never has to write a letter to the IHSAA if a margin of victory is over a certain amount.

No I actually believe some districts have 3 teams that would win a majority of the other districts. But I don't think going back to 32 teams is the fix more as the rpi. I am curious as to in BCmoore if you are comfortable sharing, where your team ended up ranked.
6th one year and 23rd another year.

Regular season builds to the playoffs. might as well just let everyone in, never know maybe an 0-8 team will win it all.
Yes. Anytime a playoff has exactly one more round than you would prefer, they had might as well let everyone in.

Brilliant take.
Be careful of covid-19, between your giant tongue & your mouth breathing you are particularly at risk & Id hate to lose this particular flavor of intellect for the gene pool.

What is "simplifying your plays"?
How, exactly, would that lead to less scoring?

if you went 8-1 then you didn’t really earn anything you lost a game.
This is an argument against the playoff system itself. If you're going to be that subjective cut out the middleman and just play the regular season & rank who "earned it".

That sounds like an RPI problem. Not a 16 vs. 32 teams problem.
I am not arguing that RPI is messed up, because it is. My point is RPI will not change. The IHSAA has been hearing the same complaints about the formula for two years and then did absolutely nothing to fix it this time around. So the only way to make sure RPI isn't screwing teams is to let 32 in. That way everyone that should be in is in. There may be a couple team that get in maybe shouldn't but that is better than a deserving team being left out.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say coaches are not required to write an email to the state if they win by 50 or "hang 90". I am really certain at this.

Now perhaps there was a game where the score was run up. Maybe some words were said after the game. Maybe some unsportsmanlike activity. A complaint was made to the state requiring a response from the coach.

What is "simplifying your plays"?
How, exactly, would that lead to less scoring?

We'll "bob' if a team runs a spread offense, or jet sweeps, or run and gun. they may slow the game down and go with simple dive plays, qb draws, things of that nature that are less "take the shot plays" that would lead to less scoring. It's common sense really

Reactions: obfuscating
I am not arguing that RPI is messed up, because it is. My point is RPI will not change. The IHSAA has been hearing the same complaints about the formula for two years and then did absolutely nothing to fix it this time around. So the only way to make sure RPI isn't screwing teams is to let 32 in. That way everyone that should be in is in. There may be a couple team that get in maybe shouldn't but that is better than a deserving team being left out.

The point is to get the RPI changed. To voice the opinion and stir the convo of change and reasoning as to why. If you think half of these peope on the message boards aren't the boys in the boone of have ties to boone. Then you're wrong.

Our team has won several games by over 50 points in the last 5 years and has never been asked to explain why. Who has had to do this?
I watched in 2017 as Our head coach received an email asking him to explain his reasoning and efforts as to what he did to not run the score up. Whether that is because the opposing coach complained or not I am not sure. But it happened and he had to type it out and send it to Todd answering questions.

I don't think you can anyway justify "rewarding" teams for playing up or punish them for playing down when ultimately the teams don't have final say in who they play. All they do is put in requests for ND play and these requests are not always recognized by the state association.

Reactions: rkhemp
I don't think you can anyway justify "rewarding" teams for playing up or punish them for playing down when ultimately the teams don't have final say in who they play. All they do is put in requests for ND play and these requests are not always recognized by the state association.

but you list 6 I think maybe more or less. ND opponets. Coaches need to be involved in the meetings or at least a leader from each district in voicing that all ND games should be the same class unless agreed upon otherwsie. There is plenty of teams in each class to make it happen

but you list 6 I think maybe more or less. ND opponets. Coaches need to be involved in the meetings or at least a leader from each district in voicing that all ND games should be the same class unless agreed upon otherwsie. There is plenty of teams in each class to make it happen
Pretty obvious you don’t have a clue as to how the scheduling happens. Maybe you just shouldn’t comment on it

Reactions: Bob321
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT