ADVERTISEMENT

Pitching injury from a Dad who's been there

Feb 25, 2011
From the time my son was 8 years old he spent hours throwing against a brick wall near our home. He wanted to be a pitcher and the best he could be. I didn't have the knowledge to teach him proper mechanic so I took him to a pitching coach hoping if he learned proper mechanics he would avoid injury.

He was a smart pitcher but soon became obsessed with fast ball speed. As a sophomore he was throwing 84 to 86 mph and yet had great control and a challenging change up. Preparing for his junior year he started getting pain in his shoulder that would only happen when throwing. He could lift weights, swing a bat and even make a throwing motion with no pain but once he tried throwing with a ball the pain was unbearable. No weakness just pain.

Cortizone shot, physical therapy and finally surgery was attempted and he missed his junior year playing. The Doctor we chose was considered the best in the state. He was negative about pitching from the start saying most of his clients were pitchers and he would recommend playing any other position. We stayed with him as we were told even though he was negative he was still the best. After the operation he said he did not see much of an issue and basically did a clean up. We were prepared for anchoring and a labrum repair. More physical therapy and when it came time to throw guess what? Same pain. The Doctor said he did the minimum he thought would fix the problem and we could always go in again. My out of pocket was almost 10,000 and my son became so disillusioned with the Doctor and the experience that he decided trying again was nothing more than false hope.

He is playing his senior year and hitting well. He can throw but not pitch and as it looks never will again.

So what would I do different in hind sight:

1. I would make sure my son understood that speed will come when your body can handle it and don't push it too soon.

2. I would take him to a quality physical therapist once or twice a year for an evaluation to make sure he is not starting to have issues you can't see or tell from throwing.

3. I would get a second opinion before surgery and find a Doctor that wants pitchers in the world

4. Stress the back up plan. Our kids are all one injury away from their back up plan.

I hope this helps.

I was never taught the proper technique when pitching.

In my 8th grade year I had to pitch a lot(18 or so in a day) of innings in a tournament, because our other 2 starting pitchers were not available(injury and academics).

I had no issues that day, but that was the last I threw that year. My freshman year, I tried pitching in preseason and my shoulder down went numb any time I tried to throw my fastball.

I just stuck to playing in the field after that. I never had my shoulder or arm checked out, but I get occasional pains in it.

Am I reading this correctly? You pitched 18 innings in one day? What type of tournament was this? I know both AAU and USSSA have inning limitations for 1 day and tournament overall. Who was your coach? Please clarify, thanks.

I talked to my buddy. We determined it was only 16 innings. Game 1 was 7 innings, Game 2 was 6 innings and ended on 15 run rule. Game 3, I came in for 3 innings of relief down 7-2 when I came in. I think we lost 8-6. I know I struck out 7 of 9. The 2nd baseman made 2 errors on grounder that cost me an unearned run.

The league didn't have limitations on how many in a day. I think it was
21 for a week. Since the tournament was one day only it was legal and
the coach asked me throughout the day how my arm was feeling. I never
felt any soreness and I was efficient in the first 2 games, so I came in for 3 innings in the 3rd and final game. It was
not AAU or USSSA.

I recall them tracking my pitch count. Not for sure but I think it was only 160-170 total. I know the first game 15 or so outs were grounders to me, first, or second after 1-3 pitches.

images

Originally posted by bossofu:

From the time my son was 8 years old he spent hours throwing against a brick wall near our home. He wanted to be a pitcher and the best he could be. I didn't have the knowledge to teach him proper mechanic so I took him to a pitching coach hoping if he learned proper mechanics he would avoid injury.

He was a smart pitcher but soon became obsessed with fast ball speed. As a sophomore he was throwing 84 to 86 mph and yet had great control and a challenging change up. Preparing for his junior year he started getting pain in his shoulder that would only happen when throwing. He could lift weights, swing a bat and even make a throwing motion with no pain but once he tried throwing with a ball the pain was unbearable. No weakness just pain.

Cortizone shot, physical therapy and finally surgery was attempted and he missed his junior year playing. The Doctor we chose was considered the best in the state. He was negative about pitching from the start saying most of his clients were pitchers and he would recommend playing any other position. We stayed with him as we were told even though he was negative he was still the best. After the operation he said he did not see much of an issue and basically did a clean up. We were prepared for anchoring and a labrum repair. More physical therapy and when it came time to throw guess what? Same pain. The Doctor said he did the minimum he thought would fix the problem and we could always go in again. My out of pocket was almost 10,000 and my son became so disillusioned with the Doctor and the experience that he decided trying again was nothing more than false hope.

He is playing his senior year and hitting well. He can throw but not pitch and as it looks never will again.

So what would I do different in hind sight:

1. I would make sure my son understood that speed will come when your body can handle it and don't push it too soon.

2. I would take him to a quality physical therapist once or twice a year for an evaluation to make sure he is not starting to have issues you can't see or tell from throwing.

3. I would get a second opinion before surgery and find a Doctor that wants pitchers in the world

4. Stress the back up plan. Our kids are all one injury away from their back up plan.

I hope this helps.
Unfortunatley this story is all too common. I think #1 is where it all starts going downhill.

The only reason Gilbert (and DC for that matter) had access and used their #1s in the championship game was the state's Friday-Thursday-Saturday 2A championship schedule allowed them to do so.

BTW, the 2A state schedule is the same again this year, Fri-Thur-Sat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT