ADVERTISEMENT

Well bad news, good news

BamaFan1137

All District
Nov 5, 2001
I've been diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (Acute Myelogenous Leukemia). It's unrelated with my last brush.

The good news, since around 2000, treatment for it has improved greatly. 95% survive 5 years after diagnosis. My oncologist said given that I'm in very good physical condition that I'm as close to 100% as you can be. We also caught it early. A quote from my oncologist..."if you have to have leukemia, this is the one you want."

I'll have to take a pill everyday, perhaps for the rest of my life. It's chemo but it's targeted chemo meaning FAR fewer side effects.

My doctor and I both believe that I will die an old man and I don't have to quit working or my exercise regimen.

My goal is to reach total remission (hematologic, cytogenic, molecular) on the meds and then enter a trial where you stop the meds and monitor the above. If you can remain leukemia free, you're "cured."

Good luck buddy. Good thing it was caught early. Myself, going for prostatectomy Tuesday. Was diagnosed July with Prostate cancer. PSA kept climbing and urologist said everything else looks fine. Biopsy had two cancer specimans out of 12. Ct scan and Bone scan shows no metastasizing. Wife gonna suffer as much or more than me .

Last edited:
Good luck buddy. Good thing it was caught early. Myself, going for prostatectomy Tuesday. Was diagnosed July with Prostate cancer. PSV kept climbing and urologist said everything else looks fine. Biopsy had two cancer specimans out of 12. Ct scan and Bone scan shows no metastasizing. Wife gonna suffer as much or more than me .
Good luck to you, too. Prayers for all

Cancer hits home with me. It got two of my four grandparents, my dad, one of my uncles, one of my pastors, a couple of family friends, tried to get my mom (she beat it and won) before she passed, and my sister has an ongoing fight with it.

So yeah, it's personal for me. Fvck that disease. Praying for you all the way @BamaFan1137

I've been diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (Acute Myelogenous Leukemia). It's unrelated with my last brush.

The good news, since around 2000, treatment for it has improved greatly. 95% survive 5 years after diagnosis. My oncologist said given that I'm in very good physical condition that I'm as close to 100% as you can be. We also caught it early. A quote from my oncologist..."if you have to have leukemia, this is the one you want."

I'll have to take a pill everyday, perhaps for the rest of my life. It's chemo but it's targeted chemo meaning FAR fewer side effects.

My doctor and I both believe that I will die an old man and I don't have to quit working or my exercise regimen.

My goal is to reach total remission (hematologic, cytogenic, molecular) on the meds and then enter a trial where you stop the meds and monitor the above. If you can remain leukemia free, you're "cured."

Man. I dont even know what to say. Youve got a great outlook which will serve you well. And the overall prognosis looks promising too. Taking a pill a day for life is nothing. I’ve been doing several for a long time and it just becomes part of you.

Wish you nothing but the best.

Man. I dont even know what to say. Youve got a great outlook which will serve you well. And the overall prognosis looks promising too. Taking a pill a day for life is nothing. I’ve been doing several for a long time and it just becomes part of you.

I started taking blood pressure medicine at 38, and I have no comorbidities- not a disgusting fat, I’m an apex predator, no renal deficiency, not African American, never smoked a cig in my life…

Felt “off” one day so I checked my bp. 210/110. Scared the shit out of me. I was big into working out at the time, so the “supplements” I was taking played a major role. Certainly not cancer but definitely a reminder to listen to your body.

I started taking blood pressure medicine at 38, and I have no comorbidities- not a disgusting fat, I’m an apex predator, no renal deficiency, not African American, never smoked a cig in my life…

Felt “off” one day so I checked my bp. 210/110. Scared the shit out of me. I was big into working out at the time, so the “supplements” I was taking played a major role. Certainly not cancer but definitely a reminder to listen to your body.

You definitely have to pay attention to your body and as you get older, regular visits to the doctor. I have been getting two physicals per year and 4 blood work-ups for a while now...and it paid off here big time. I had no idea anything was wrong. No symptoms...still no symptoms btw.

What supplements were you taking? I take Creatine HCL and protein along with a HIGH protein diet. The pre-workout stuff can definitely get you especially the stuff with tons of caffeine.

Last edited:
Reactions: derek_tiger

Thanks and as Billy said, fvck cancer. This shit has been personal to me for a while now. Maybe I'm a bit off in the head but now that I have it, I'm almost excited to beat that shit again.

Yes, I'd rather not have it but now that I do, it can suck my d1ck.

You definitely have to pay attention to your body and as you get older, regular visits to the doctor. I have been getting two physicals per year and 4 blood work-ups for a while now...and it paid off here big time. I had no idea anything was wrong. No symptoms...still no symptoms btw.

What supplements were you taking? I take Creatine HCL and protein along with a HIGH protein diet. The pre-workout stuff can definitely get you especially the stuff with tons of caffeine.
Injectables, hence the “ “…

Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t some meathead power lifter looking to deadlift 800lbs. Just wanted to build/cut quickly, and I knew what the right combo was for my body based on previous experience (early 20’s), but as we all know, early 20’s =\= late 30’s.

Highly recommend testosterone supplement/TRT if you want to go that route. Safe and very effective.

Reactions: BamaFan1137
Injectables, hence the “ “…

Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t some meathead power lifter looking to deadlift 800lbs. Just wanted to build/cut quickly, and I knew what the right combo was for my body based on previous experience (early 20’s), but as we all know, early 20’s =\= late 30’s.

Highly recommend testosterone supplement/TRT if you want to go that route. Safe and very effective.

Ah, missed that. Yea, that'll do it.

I'm on Testosterone and my oncologist is all about it. He said it will help with my red blood cell count and will help combat fatigue. I was worried that he would make me stop.

Reactions: Pops Masterson

I’ve been on BP and statin since I was 33. Similar to you I just felt off. I wasn’t in good shape then but learned a lot of it was just genetics. With the dibeetus stuff I think I’m on 6 meds a day. People look at me and say I dont look like a diabetic. WTF does that mean, anyway? If I never touched another carb I’d still be T2.

Damn Steve... sorry to hear about this, but am VERY glad it was caught early and you are on a treatment. Boss of mine back in the 80s had a 'cousin' of this disease (Polycythemia Vera; which can turn into AML)... got on treatment and lived another 30 years. I think you'll live to be an old fvcker like me, Moby & Hokie.

Reading Pops post about BP sneaking up on you is classic. I have/had a LOT of high BP relatives on both sides (sister started BP meds in her 30s), but due to my incredible BBall athletic prowess striking fear in the hearts of many 😂and staying fit & trim, was able to hold off BP meds until my early '60s.

Still, time catches up with all of us and you just have to play the cards you're dealt. Good luck duds!

Reactions: BamaFan1137
Still, time catches up with all of us and you just have to play the cards you're dealt. Good luck duds!
Truer words have never been spoken….from mere mortals 😉 .
Although I’m a late comer to this board, I’m (usually) a quick learner and picked up on @BamaFan1137 (or Steve’s?) wit and kindness. I pray for your health, your family’s strength and success in kicking this menace.

Yea, that's why it was only 50%.
giphy.gif

Damn Steve... sorry to hear about this, but am VERY glad it was caught early and you are on a treatment. Boss of mine back in the 80s had a 'cousin' of this disease (Polycythemia Vera; which can turn into AML)... got on treatment and lived another 30 years. I think you'll live to be an old fvcker like me, Moby & Hokie.

Reading Pops post about BP sneaking up on you is classic. I have/had a LOT of high BP relatives on both sides (sister started BP meds in her 30s), but due to my incredible BBall athletic prowess striking fear in the hearts of many 😂and staying fit & trim, was able to hold off BP meds until my early '60s.

You gotta beach condo?

Truer words have never been spoken….from mere mortals 😉 .
Although I’m a late comer to this board, I’m (usually) a quick learner and picked up on @BamaFan1137 (or Steve’s?) wit and kindness. I pray for your health, your family’s strength and success in kicking this menace.

I'll give you credit for picking up on my kindness...but the wit is just obvious, right? 😉

Thanks man...I appreciate all of you. I hesitated to mention it because several of us have had recent health issues and we didn't need another nut shot. However, since I'm going to prison rape this particular bout of leukemia, I figured why not.

You gotta beach condo?
Used to... Cape San Blas FL... Ocean on one side, bay on the other. Sold it a few years ago... just couldn't get down to it enough. Great spot, fireplaces on the beach, beautiful place on God's green earth. Miss it, but circumstances dictated to sell it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT