ADVERTISEMENT

Well bad news, good news

Used to... Cape San Blas FL... Ocean on one side, bay on the other. Sold it a few years ago... just couldn't get down to it enough. Great spot, fireplaces on the beach, beautiful place on God's green earth. Miss it, but circumstances dictated to sell it.

It was a very cool place. I'll never forget that trip. I've been back to the area twice and CSB has become a family favorite since.

• Love
Reactions: derek_tiger
I've been diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (Acute Myelogenous Leukemia). It's unrelated with my last brush.

The good news, since around 2000, treatment for it has improved greatly. 95% survive 5 years after diagnosis. My oncologist said given that I'm in very good physical condition that I'm as close to 100% as you can be. We also caught it early. A quote from my oncologist..."if you have to have leukemia, this is the one you want."

I'll have to take a pill everyday, perhaps for the rest of my life. It's chemo but it's targeted chemo meaning FAR fewer side effects.

My doctor and I both believe that I will die an old man and I don't have to quit working or my exercise regimen.

My goal is to reach total remission (hematologic, cytogenic, molecular) on the meds and then enter a trial where you stop the meds and monitor the above. If you can remain leukemia free, you're "cured."

God Bless you. I’m really pulling for you.

A lady friend I play bridge with just came down with some type of leukemia. I don’t know what kind but she is fixing to have some type of treatment. She is a graduate of UAT and is about 70 years old. You don’t think there is something around Tuscaloosa causing this why you all were in school, do you?

My aunt and uncle owned a place with another family there. Sold it a couple years ago. If that was you I’m gonna freak out.

No, I never owned anything there. Derek let me and my family stay at his place for free when my sister was first diagnosed and it was just a fantastic trip. She was still healthy enough to get around and truly enjoy herself. The other two times we rented two different places near Derek's place.

We may have rented your aunt and uncles place though.

Reactions: Konigstiger
God Bless you. I’m really pulling for you.

A lady friend I play bridge with just came down with some type of leukemia. I don’t know what kind but she is fixing to have some type of treatment. She is a graduate of UAT and is about 70 years old. You don’t think there is something around Tuscaloosa causing this why you all were in school, do you?

Unlikely. Typical enviromental causes are cigarette smoke (benzene), previous chemotherapy (my best guess for me), chemical exposure (especially benzene), VERY high radiation exposure or other blood disorders like myleofibrosis...which I had and which was treated by the chemo I mentioned above.

It's just a relatively rare mutation in the bone marrow. Two different chromosomes (9 and 22) join together. 9 at the top and 22 at the bottom. It's called a Philadelphia chromosome because that's where it was first discovered.

This mutated chromosome in the bone marrow rapidly produces white blood cells (WBC's) and they don't die like regular white blood cells do. The DNA in regular WBC's tell the cells to grow at a certain rate and die after a certain time. Instead of dying, these split and rapidly reproduce. As a result you have too many WBC's that aren't actually doing what they're supposed to do. That cause you to have fewer RBC's and platelets.

Having fewer RBC's and platelets causes many issues like lethargy and fatigue, bruising, excessive bleeding, bone pain, pale skin, fever and frequent infections.

No, I never owned anything there. Derek let me and my family stay at his place for free when my sister was first diagnosed and it was just a fantastic trip. She was still healthy enough to get around and truly enjoy herself. The other two times we rented two different places near Derek's place.

We may have rented your aunt and uncles place though.
I misread who said that. Would still be wild it it was Derek or anyone on this board. Already had some weird connections with my relatives in Wicksburg here.

Reactions: BamaFan1137
I started taking blood pressure medicine at 38, and I have no comorbidities- not a disgusting fat, I’m an apex predator, no renal deficiency, not African American, never smoked a cig in my life…

Felt “off” one day so I checked my bp. 210/110. Scared the shit out of me. I was big into working out at the time, so the “supplements” I was taking played a major role. Certainly not cancer but definitely a reminder to listen to your body.
That was a good reminder...started checking my BP again on the reg. It's a little high, that's largely because I need to drop a few lbs and work is nutso right now. But a great reminder and data point to keep track of things before they get out of hand.

Thanks bro - good story and helpful at the same time.

I misread who said that. Would still be wild it it was Derek or anyone on this board. Already had some weird connections with my relatives in Wicksburg here.
My address there was 124 Aruba Drive... would be crazy if there were some connection.

Unlikely. Typical enviromental causes are cigarette smoke (benzene), previous chemotherapy (my best guess for me), chemical exposure (especially benzene), VERY high radiation exposure or other blood disorders like myleofibrosis...which I had and which was treated by the chemo I mentioned above.

It's just a relatively rare mutation in the bone marrow. Two different chromosomes (9 and 22) join together. 9 at the top and 22 at the bottom. It's called a Philadelphia chromosome because that's where it was first discovered.

This mutated chromosome in the bone marrow rapidly produces white blood cells (WBC's) and they don't die like regular white blood cells do. The DNA in regular WBC's tell the cells to grow at a certain rate and die after a certain time. Instead of dying, these split and rapidly reproduce. As a result you have too many WBC's that aren't actually doing what they're supposed to do. That cause you to have fewer RBC's and platelets.

Having fewer RBC's and platelets causes many issues like lethargy and fatigue, bruising, excessive bleeding, bone pain, pale skin, fever and frequent infections.
I’m not sure I understand any this verywell but she had a rare disease where the opposite happened. She made too many RBC. She even w had to have blood drawn out of her. Later she had breast cancer and is taking full radiation treatments or something. They were concerned with the possibility of the breast cancer getting into tha limmph nodes? Nope the RC thing has changed to WC Robles and Leukemia thing. I think she is fixing to get a bone marroW treatment. While all this has been going on her husband had a brain tumor and passed away.

She also lost about $1.5 MM in the stock market in the last decline. She lives by herself and lays bridge about twice a week. She is the toughest person I know, man or woman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT