ADVERTISEMENT

Glorry years

roosterk

Freshman
Oct 25, 2014
I was in the car after doing so mild yard work at MIL. and hear that song on the way home. I thought it might be interesting.

I'll go first.

Little league baseball, I was pitching against a bad team. small town Iowa of course. I hit the same kid twice and he was the only person to get on base. I didn't know what a know hitter was for several years.

I'll go thru mine then add my kids. I guess I could included the wife but her making it to state in track would over shadow the reset of us.

I was the starting CB for my high school football team when we won the 5a (when 5a was the biggest classification) state championship.

In baseball, I was a good infielder and a shitty, though reliable, pitcher. We were historically a pretty bad high school team. My senior year we were district champs and I pitched the championship game. I gave up 3 hits, ALL were MONSTER homeruns but they were solo shots. 😂 We won the game 4-3 on a walk-off when my best friend drove me in from 2nd.

My daughter graduating HS Magna Cum Laude.

My son beating the hell out of an older and larger boy who slapped his sister.

My youngest daughter doing CPR on an infant until paramedics arrived likely saving that child's life.

My wife for putting her career on hold to raise our kids and then returning to work without missing a beat in reaching her goals.

1. I tried to walk on at South Alabama in '77 for Cliff Ellis... made the first round and it was between me and 2 others. We had a scrimmage vs. the ones and I was playing guard (@ 6'5")... Rory White (6'8" Sun Belt POY later; NBA too) came around a pick at the top of the key to throw up a jump shot. I timed my block perfectly and pinned him then yanked the ball away... told him to 'give me that shit!'.... and threw a quick pass to the other guard who broke towards the other basket.

Broke my left ankle (trimaliolar) in 3 places (hence the 'tri') about 10m later. Oh vell...

2. Was playing summer ball ('88?) in Columbus, OH. with a number of college / pro players. Art Schlicter was our guard (and he was really good)... I posted Clark Kellogg on the left block, took the pass from Art, faked a right hook, he bit, then reversed and hit a left handed hook (think my hero Kevin McHale). Told him to get his jockstrap out of the air running back down the court... he just said 'shiiiiit man...'. Haha.

Like 1137 said, son and daughter have turned out great with many accomplishments.

Also, I think it's Glory DAYS... but whatever.

My kids are pretty much better at anything important than me.

I was the leading scorer in my JH football team with 1, we still lost that game. Threw a no-hitter and lost, I think it was their lead off hitter hit deep fly to right field, highly unexpected catch. Walked a bunch through out the game, only other hit was to 2nd base, was thrown out at first but a run scored. Just average a pitcher in HS. Wing back/OLB in football, run & shoot offense my 2 years of starting, smallest 11 player class.

My oldest daughter played FB in JH,. It was the first year of the school dropping to 8-player, 9 kids out, they only scored 1 TD as well. The class above her only lost one regular season game in their HS career. She wanted to play in HS but I wouldn't let her, She was a manager instead and agreed after seeing the difference between JH & HS. Speach/drama was her thing plus ran track. Middle school English teacher.

Middle child daughter was into cheerleading & ran track, was all state something or another cheering. She was ISU forestry major, now park ranger. Her husband of 2 months now, quit his job at construction company and is going to become a county deputy.

Son is 5" taller than me at 6'-3". ISU grad as well. 3 UNI's grads in the family, 2 ISU's. 5 td's in one of his last HS games. Remember 8-player. He started starting varsity 2-3 games into his freshman year, I think they only had 2 JR and 2 SR on that team. All conference/district basketball and baseball. No homeruns in BB, I remember I had at least 1. 9th grade science teacher school w/400+ per grade.

Wife made it to state in a relay. She still holds the school's 200 record. HS science teacher (15 kids/grade).

Off topic, picked up some 10mm ammo $21.49 a box of 50 S&B, got 5, no gun yet but now I have to buy one. This is house tax month so better pay that first went up $400ish this year $921 now and again in the spring. Did some updates to reduce maintenance for the wife over last couple of years. Still have more to do but my motivation sucks and times running out.

Wife made it to state in a relay. She still holds the school's 200 record. HS science teacher (15 kids/grade).

Off topic, picked up some 10mm ammo $21.49 a box of 50 S&B, got 5, no gun yet but now I have to buy one. This is house tax month so better pay that first went up $400ish this year $921 now and again in the spring. Did some updates to reduce maintenance for the wife over last couple of years. Still have more to do but my motivation sucks and times running out.
Heck of a price on that ammo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT