ADVERTISEMENT

3A District Pairings

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
Who got the worst draw? Who got the best? Let us know now!

DISTRICT #1
Bishop Heelan
LeMars
Sergeant Bluff-Luton
Storm Lake

DISTRICT #2
Algona
MOC-Floyd Valley
Spirit Lake
Spencer

DISTRICT #3
Humboldt
Iowa Falls-Alden
Nevada
Webster City

DISTRICT #4
Charles City
Union, LaPorte City
Vinton-Shellsburg
Waverly-Shell Rock

DISTRICT #5
Crestwood, Cresco
Decorah
Oelwein
Waukon

DISTRICT #6
Center Point-Urbana
Independence
Wahlert, Dubuque
West Delaware

DISTRICT #7
Assumption, Davenport
Central Clinton, DeWitt
Maquoketa
Mount Vernon

DISTRICT #8
Benton Community
Marion
Solon
Xavier, Cedar Rapids

DISTRICT #9
Clear Creek-Amana
South Tama County, Tama
Washington
Williamsburg

DISTRICT #10
Fairfield
Fort Madison
Keokuk
Mount Pleasant

DISTRICT #11
Centerville
Chariton
Oskaloosa
Pella

DISTRICT #12
Carlisle
Knoxville
Norwalk
Winterset

DISTRICT #13
Bondurant-Farrar
Dallas Center-Grimes
Grinnell
Saydel

DISTRICT #14
Ballard
Boone
Gilbert
Perry

DISTRICT #15
ADM, Adel
Carroll
Denison-Schleswig
Greene County

DISTRICT #16
Atlantic
Creston
Glenwood
Harlan

I see the state refused to split up three of the best teams in the state again. Stick it to NW IA, since the best teams are up there. Don't they want the best teams in Des Moines? Obviously not! Districts 1&2 are easily the toughest. Wow!!!!

Lots of things can happen, but Wahlert has a really nice draw.

I agree with tantrent, 1 and 2 got hammered.

#2 is loaded! Algona has a nice team but they are done already. No way they come out of that district.

Looking at the Western Iowa districts of 15 & 16. Think Carroll got a good path? Potential challengers would have to be Creston and Harlan. And both of them fall below Carroll in all rankings.

Using week 7 of the BC Moore ratings

Districts 7 & 8 have 5 teams in the top 20 .. Xavier, Assumption, Mt Vernon, DeWitt, Solon (4-6-9-18-20)

District 9 & 10 have 4 teams in the top 20 .. Williamsburg, Ft Madison, Keokuk, CCA (5-7-15-16)

Districts 15 & 16 have 3 teams in the top 20 .. Carroll, Creston, Denison-Schleswig (10, 17, 19)

Districts 5 & 6 have 2 teams in the top 20 .. Wahlert, West Delaware (1,13)

Districts 13 & 14 have 2 teams in the top 20 .. DCG, Gilbert (12, 14)

Districts 11 & 12 have 2 teams in the top 20 .. Pella, Norwalk (2,11)

Districts 1 & 2 have 1 teams in the top 20 .. LeMars (8)

Districts 3 & 4 have 1 teams in the top 20 .. Waverly-SR (3)

Originally posted by Phil Collins:
Using week 7 of the BC Moore ratings

Districts 7 & 8 have 5 teams in the top 20 .. Xavier, Assumption, Mt Vernon, DeWitt, Solon (4-6-9-18-20)

District 9 & 10 have 4 teams in the top 20 .. Williamsburg, Ft Madison, Keokuk, CCA (5-7-15-16)

Districts 15 & 16 have 3 teams in the top 20 .. Carroll, Creston, Denison-Schleswig (10, 17, 19)

Districts 5 & 6 have 2 teams in the top 20 .. Wahlert, West Delaware (1,13)

Districts 13 & 14 have 2 teams in the top 20 .. DCG, Gilbert (12, 14)

Districts 11 & 12 have 2 teams in the top 20 .. Pella, Norwalk (2,11)

Districts 1 & 2 have 1 teams in the top 20 .. LeMars (8)

Districts 3 & 4 have 1 teams in the top 20 .. Waverly-SR (3)

Thanks for posting this. I was trying to figure out what made Districts 1&2 so much better than everyone else. I understand BCMoore Rankings aren't the end-all of rankings, but I don't think Districts 1&2 are that much better than the others (if they even are better). There is a lot of parity this year and I see most if not all substates being very competitive.

EDIT: Didn't realize MOC-FV and Spirit Lake had dropped out of BCMoore top 20. The gripe makes sense now.

This post was edited on 1/19 1:01 PM by NeverReadTheTermsOfService

There are 3 teams in substates 1 & 2 (LeMars, MOC, Spirit Lake) that have lost 2 or less games at this point. Of their losses, 2 are against each other, 1 is against another team in the substate (SBL) and 1 is to Western Christian, which is a pretty solid 2A program...

Essentially... if they haven't played each other, they've won every game.

SBL and Heelan play in a 4A conference that features 4A #9 CBAL as well as a SC North team that has a potential for 3 all-state players in Scarlett, Tillo and Neustrom and SC East is always well coached and SC West has a lot of experience and athleticism and has had a bit more success this year than the past decade.

If you throw in Algona, who has only 2 losses as well and a .500 Spencer team that has only lost to other teams in this substate (and SC West) the picture begins to take shape.

I'm not saying 1&2 are any tougher than the other 14 districts, just explaining why it might appear to be a rough go to some.

I'm sure each district can point out statistics like this and I don't follow enough 3A basketball to know if anyone else has a legitimate gripe.

Wow. Districts 1 & 2 got absolutely hammered.

Spirit Lake (10-1)
MOC-FV (10-2)
LeMars (9-2)
Algona (9-2)

Wowza.

To the guy who doesn't understand why people are upset about district 1 and 2:
Last week's Class 3A AP Poll had MOC-FV ranked #2, LeMars ranked #3, and Spirit Lake ranked #4. That is the AP poll when these districts were finalized and released. The state KNEW that they were putting the current #2, #3, and #4 team in the same substate and that only one of them would be able to make it to the state tournament. That's just embarrassing. Of course, they wont be ranked in the same place this week because LeMars/Spirit Lake played each other and MOC-FV lost to highly ranked 2A Western Christian, but yeah you get the point on how highly competitive and regarded these teams are.

As for these two districts not having many teams in BCMoore top 20, I'm not sure why BCMoore hates Spirit Lake and MOC-FV so much this season. They're both ranked top ten in virtually every poll except for his. And currently, Spirit Lake, MOC-FV, and Heelan are BCMoore #21, #22, and #23. So it's not like they're in the BCMoore 30's or 40's.

Then once you get past the highly ranked top 3, you still have Algona who has been on the border of being ranked all season. You also have perennial state tournament power Bishop Heelan, who tho is having a bit of a down year, they have the experience and always know how to make it back to Des Moines. You also have Sergeant Bluff-Luton, who dished LeMars a loss earlier in the season and also has a couple other quality wins. Spencer was also receiving votes this season as well.

So essentially everyone in this substate (outside of Storm Lake; sorry tornadoes but you blow

They should have put Algona, Spirit Lake, or MOC in D3. Possibly 2 of them in D3.

I am assuming districts match up in order 1-2 3-4 and so on... WSR got a pretty easy draw of that is the case.

Wahlert and Cresco will likely meet up.

Assumption, Central Clinton, MV, Marion, and Xavier is a tough group in D7 and D8.

Pella, Norwalk, DCG, Gilbert, and Carroll.... Other than those teams D11-16 seem kind of weak.

Originally posted by nwiowahawkeyefan:
Wow. Districts 1 & 2 got absolutely hammered.

Spirit Lake (10-1)
MOC-FV (10-2)
LeMars (9-2)
Algona (9-2)

Wowza.

To the guy who doesn't understand why people are upset about district 1 and 2:
Last week's Class 3A AP Poll had MOC-FV ranked #2, LeMars ranked #3, and Spirit Lake ranked #4. That is the AP poll when these districts were finalized and released. The state KNEW that they were putting the current #2, #3, and #4 team in the same substate and that only one of them would be able to make it to the state tournament. That's just embarrassing. Of course, they wont be ranked in the same place this week because LeMars/Spirit Lake played each other and MOC-FV lost to highly ranked 2A Western Christian, but yeah you get the point on how highly competitive and regarded these teams are.

As for these two districts not having many teams in BCMoore top 20, I'm not sure why BCMoore hates Spirit Lake and MOC-FV so much this season. They're both ranked top ten in virtually every poll except for his. And currently, Spirit Lake, MOC-FV, and Heelan are BCMoore #21, #22, and #23. So it's not like they're in the BCMoore 30's or 40's.

Then once you get past the highly ranked top 3, you still have Algona who has been on the border of being ranked all season. You also have perennial state tournament power Bishop Heelan, who tho is having a bit of a down year, they have the experience and always know how to make it back to Des Moines. You also have Sergeant Bluff-Luton, who dished LeMars a loss earlier in the season and also has a couple other quality wins. Spencer was also receiving votes this season as well.

So essentially everyone in this substate (outside of Storm Lake; sorry tornadoes but you blow

I'm not sure why BCMoore hates Spirit Lake and MOC-FV so much this season. They're both ranked top ten in virtually every poll except for his.
Just what I was wondering.
After watching MOC against Western, I have to admit that I don't think they will be a contender this year. Although Levi Jansen can win games by himself, they don't have a strong post or enough bodies to play the full court pressure MOC is famous for.

I'll take substate #1 vs WSR or Wahlert in the finals.

Again, I don't know enough about 3A to clear up the density of D1 & D2, but that's what people are most upset about I think. Not only is it very talented at the top... the "bottom" only consists of 1 team. Storm Lake is flat awful. Outside of that... Spencer is the next "worst" team and they have only lost to other S1 opponents and a 4A school and are sitting at .500. 3A geographically is a lot harder to split up and make sense. You can send Heelan/SBL south and send some of the south teams east, but those aren't the "powers" this year and wouldn't have really solved anything. It's not like 4A where you could send 3 SC schools east to 3 CIML schools and 3 CB schools east to 3 more CIML schools.

Originally posted by EHS1505:
Again, I don't know enough about 3A to clear up the density of D1 & D2, but that's what people are most upset about I think. Not only is it very talented at the top... the "bottom" only consists of 1 team. Storm Lake is flat awful. Outside of that... Spencer is the next "worst" team and they have only lost to other S1 opponents and a 4A school and are sitting at .500. 3A geographically is a lot harder to split up and make sense. You can send Heelan/SBL south and send some of the south teams east, but those aren't the "powers" this year and wouldn't have really solved anything. It's not like 4A where you could send 3 SC schools east to 3 CIML schools and 3 CB schools east to 3 more CIML schools.
Agreed about 3A being hard geographically. In the south it seems like the districts stay the same every single year because it's just so hard to switch around. For example, the Southeastern Conference seems to always have 4 of it's 5 teams in the same district.

This post was edited on 1/19 11:20 AM by NeverReadTheTermsOfService

MOC just lost to 1A Boyden Hull by 14 and Spencer got pummeled by 30 by 2A Sheldon in the last week, not that I'm defending the state on how they decide to align brackets/districts/substates, but those two losses take a little of the luster off district 1.
##sorry, district 2.
This post was edited on 1/19 6:03 PM by Jay Banager

When I first saw the 3A districts, I looked at #1 and #2, then I went back and stared at them. "OMG- Loaded" was the first thought that came to my mind. Then I went through the rest of the list and #7 and #8 also stuck out as being another loaded substate, with a possible state champ coming out of that melee. It's a lot like last year when CR Xavier, Western Dubuque and Wahlert were all matched together, and I still think they were the best three teams in 3A last year. I can totally understand why our friends from NW Iowa are anguished. If I were getting paid the "big bucks" for serving on the IHSAA selection committee, or whatever it is, I would have managed somehow to move (especially) MOC or Spirit Lake somewhere else, even if it would involve a little more driving. What's more important?-- to divide the teams fairly, or to protect the geography? I vote for fairness. But I will say one thing-- whichever team comes out of that #1 vs. #2 substate is going to be already tourney "hardened," which may give them some advantage over a team that sails through a weak substate and maybe gets the notion that they are better than they really are. My comments also apply to the #7 and #8 districts. Some pretty good teams are going to sit out the tournament. Waverly-Shell Rock and Wahlert got the most favorable draws, considering how strong they are. In Wahlert's case, I can't remember that ever happening before, so maybe it makes up for past years. But as bad as the #1, #2, & #7, #8 setups are in 3A, there are some just-as-bad or even worse districts in 4A also.

This post was edited on 1/19 10:02 PM by EastIowaHawk

I would like to offer this...I think the boys in Boone should select districts in basketball/baseball like they do football. Keep them the same for two years, then rotate but seed for the 8 teams in the substate, not just the four in the district. You know the 8 teams who are in it, now you play for seeding. This would eliminate the thought that they are looking at the teams, then trying to figure out how to play favorites to get to the tournament. If you are good, you should have no worries, play your best at tournament time and you should be fine.

Just a thought....

Originally posted by Kurt Whiton:
I would like to offer this...I think the boys in Boone should select districts in basketball/baseball like they do football. Keep them the same for two years, then rotate but seed for the 8 teams in the substate, not just the four in the district. You know the 8 teams who are in it, now you play for seeding. This would eliminate the thought that they are looking at the teams, then trying to figure out how to play favorites to get to the tournament. If you are good, you should have no worries, play your best at tournament time and you should be fine.

Just a thought....
One thing I agree on with this is to just pick the substates instead of breaking it apart in two districts. I don't mind if they pick new substates every year, but I wish they could just leave it at 8 teams and let them seed themselves with their records.

Just a thought....
A problem with this is that travel will increase greatly.
Weather is a lot less of an issue during football than mid February & and asking winless/weak teams to travel a long distance in winter just to get spanked by 50 won't sit well.

They don't have to reinvent the wheel, just take a note from the Girl's Union & make an effort to get the best 8 teams to Des Moines.

This post was edited on 1/20 12:47 PM by VanderHoops

Just a thought....

Um, Mr. Whiton I think you should head to the hospital to get checked for short / medium term memory loss:

Wasn't this you on the baseball board when you felt Perry got screwed?

Gee I wish that were true for 3A. District 7 has ADM hosting. They are not, and have not been close to having the #1 seed in the district. The logic according to the boys in Boone was that ADM beat Perry the 1st time in conference play, so they get to host. Hmmm...if that was the criteria, then if that was ADM's only win of the season, would they still host? Nice job Boone Boys. Pick your favorites.

This post was edited on 1/21 8:50 AM by oonfoofoo

Hey foo foo don't hurt yourself falling into this conversation...My post is about having a district set for 2 years, so you know who you are competing against at the start of the season. Teams that earn the top seed should host. I forgot though that you probably have trouble understanding what you read...now go back to watching cartoons. I'm sure your mom will have your breakfast made soon too.

I am going to throw this out as an option, obviously the state will do it the way they want but just as a conversation piece. Take the districts the way they are currently. Then for substate they could seed each district based on some sort of metric (in this I am using Week #8 of the BCMoore, you would actually use the end of regular season #'s but I don't have those). To even up the seeding you could take District #3 & District #12 (looked to be the districts closest to the middle of the state). You could play these games at neutral sites as we do today. So with that, this is what I came up with.

West Side Districts

District #16 (best average BCMoore) - 26.25
vs
District #3 (worst average BCMoore) - 44.75

District #2 - 28.5
vs
District #12 - 36.75

District #14 - 29.25
vs
District #15 - 34

District #1 - 31
vs
District #13 - 30

East Side Districts

District #7 - 18
vs
District #11 - 40.25

District #5 - 39
vs
District #8 - 27

District #4 - 35.75
vs
District #6 - 29.5 (I went with this district over District #10 because they had the #1 BCMoore team)

District #9 - 33
vs
District #10 - 29.5

Originally posted by NWIAFan19:
I am going to throw this out as an option, obviously the state will do it the way they want but just as a conversation piece. Take the districts the way they are currently. Then for substate they could seed each district based on some sort of metric (in this I am using Week #8 of the BCMoore, you would actually use the end of regular season #'s but I don't have those). To even up the seeding you could take District #3 & District #12 (looked to be the districts closest to the middle of the state). You could play these games at neutral sites as we do today. So with that, this is what I came up with.

West Side Districts

District #16 (best average BCMoore) - 26.25
vs
District #3 (worst average BCMoore) - 44.75

District #2 - 28.5
vs
District #12 - 36.75

District #14 - 29.25
vs
District #15 - 34

District #1 - 31
vs
District #13 - 30

East Side Districts

District #7 - 18
vs
District #11 - 40.25

District #5 - 39
vs
District #8 - 27

District #4 - 35.75
vs
District #6 - 29.5 (I went with this district over District #10 because they had the #1 BCMoore team)

District #9 - 33
vs
District #10 - 29.5
Your worst east side district (11) has the #2 BCMoore team (Pella). I like looking at the BCMoore rankings but there are flaws in the rankings. Chariton and Centerville play a bunch of 2A teams (because they are in a 2A/3A conference) and that brings their rankings way down even if they dominate. So a school like Pella that gets matched up with these teams suffers because of something they can't control.

I think the current system works, but once they have the districts set, they should really look at the AP top 10 and make sure there are not 3 highly ranked teams all together.

I've been noticing something really fascinating so I'm just going to bring it up here, where a lot of people are suggesting using BCMoore as a way to do districts.

This season, there is a big disconnect between BCMoore right now and the general consensus concerning the teams in 3A districts 1 and 2.

BCMoore currently has:
#8. (10-2) LeMars
#18. (11-1) Spirit Lake
#20. (10-2) MOC-FV

Whereas the AP poll, has it:
#2. Spirit Lake
#5. Le Mars
#8. MOC-FV

And for those of you who don't like the AP Poll, here is every other ranking Google could find for me:

Iowa Preps Poll:
#3. Spirit Lake
#6. Le Mars
#8. MOC-FV

Radio Iowa Poll:
#5. Spirit Lake
#7. Le Mars
#9. MOC-FV

Sports Spotlight Poll:
#3. Spirit Lake
#4. MOC-FV
#6. Le Mars

Prep Hoops Iowa
#2. Spirit Lake
#5. Le Mars
#6. MOC-FV

CR Gazette:
#2. Spirit Lake
#5. Le Mars
#6. MOC-FV

I know that the BCMoore rankings or any of these other rankings could change drastically before the end of the season, but this is really fascinating to me. Especially since BCMoore actually has another 3A District 1 team (5-8) Bishop Heelan at #19, ranked ahead of (11-2) MOC-FV. BCMoore also has (11-2) Algona ranked down at #26. The computers are not very favorable to these 3A-D1 and 3A-D2 teams while the rest of the state is very high on them.

I'm assuming SOS is bringing down their computer rankings because of many games against 2A schools? Or up, in Heelan's case, due to playing 4A/higher caliber schools?

How would you take all this into consideration if you were going to use BCMoore to create district pairings? It's an interesting question.

I think the biggest issue is likely the fact that the 4A West side teams have struggled for the most part this season. CB Lincoln has losses to a 6-6 and 8-6 team at 12-2. That will never help in the rankings.

I think one of the top 5 or so BCMoore teams at this point of the basketball season wins like 95% of the time (some ridiculously high number). I'm wondering if it will hold up this year, 3A is kind of wacky.

Hey foo foo don't hurt yourself falling into this conversation...My post is about having a district set for 2 years, so you know who you are competing against at the start of the season. Teams that earn the top seed should host. I forgot though that you probably have trouble understanding what you read...now go back to watching cartoons. I'm sure your mom will have your breakfast made soon too.
Oh Kurt, your attempt at comedy is well....comedy.

I will direct it more to this "If you are good, you should have no worries, play your best at tournament time and you should be fine".

Cartoons? They suck nowadays. I remember the good ole days with good Saturday morning cartoons remember those? To me that's what is wrong with kids today....no good cartoons on Saturday mornings. Those kids and parents that think their kid is a D1 football player and get absolutely no offers from a D1 school should probably hit netflix and see if there is some Johnny Quest, Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones or some Schoolhouse Rock.

Just an interesting thought for District #2. As it sits right now Spirit Lake is at the top of this district. But, if they were to lose to Hull Western and beat Emmetsburg they would have 2 loses in their 5-15. If MOC wins their next game against Sheldon they would have 2 loses in their 5-15. If Algona beats Fort Dodge St. Ed's they would have 2 loses their 5-15. With that said their would be a 3 way tie at the top and the tie breaker then goes to points per opponent. If all of this happens Algona would be the #1 seed (22 points), Spirit Lake the #2 seed (19 points), MOC the #3 seed (13 points), and Spencer the #4. Wouldn't that be something to have Spirit Lake and MOC playing each other in the FIRST ROUND of district play! Good luck to all teams, should be an exciting finish to the season.

Wow! I wonder what the feelings are in Spirit Lake and MOC today knowing that they will be playing each other in the first round of districts. Spirit Lake controlled their own destiny, but were unable to beat Hull Western at home last night. So Sub-State #1 should look like this. Good luck to all teams the rest of the regular season and it should be an exciting playoffs this year, can't wait to see how it all shakes out.

District #1 @ Sioux City North
#1 - Le Mars vs. #4 - Storm Lake (Play in the same conference, Storm Lake gave SBL a run last year in the first round)
#2 - Sergeant Bluff vs. #3 - Bishop Heelan (Heelan just beat Sergeant Bluff last night 70-49)

District #2 @ Spencer/Sheldon
#1 - Algona vs. #4 - Spencer (Algona won by 2 at home back in early January)
#2 - Spirit Lake vs. #3 - MOC-FV (Should be the best first round game in the state)

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see #4 seed Spencer take out #1 Algona either.
Spencer is playing well against the meat of their schedule right now.

Wow. MOC vs Spirit Lake should be a game that's played in DM. Top 5 matchup in the first round. Not the second round. Not substate. The first round! Wish the assoc. would put a little time and effort into setting up the districts. One of these teams will ultimately have their season end too abruptly in a couple weeks. How unfortunate.

Originally posted by Jay Banager:
Wow. MOC vs Spirit Lake should be a game that's played in DM. Top 5 matchup in the first round. Not the second round. Not substate. The first round! Wish the assoc. would put a little time and effort into setting up the districts. One of these teams will ultimately have their season end too abruptly in a couple weeks. How unfortunate.
And to make it worse, on the other side of the district pairing is LeMars, who could potentially be ranked #1 come Monday in the AP Poll. Only one of LeMars, MOC-FV, and Spirit Lake will have a chance to visit Des Moines. And there are a couple other teams in the districts who could also contend to knock one of those three top 5 teams off before the state tournament: Algona, who could be ranked come Monday, perennial power Bishop Heelan who is always tough come tournament time, Sergeant Bluff-Luton who has showed they can beat top teams if they're hot, and even Spencer who has really started hitting their stride, falling in close games to LeMars and Hull Western Christian in their last two outings. Just a very difficult pairing.

Just found out tonight...

Assumption is #1 seed in there district... They are not getting a home game for districts.

The state has decided to do a neutral site game and they will play Maquoketa at Dewitt...

This makes no sense to me...

First off. What is the point of being the #1 seed if you don't get the game at home?
Second off. Assumption travels to Burlington and vice versa. Why is a straight highway shot from Maquoketa to far?
Third off. The district finals game is at Clinton. On what planet does that make any sense? Dewitt is the #2 seed getting #1 seed treatment. They would be better suited to play the games at North Scott. Clinton makes every single teams trip longer and Dewitt gets a back yard away game if they make the district finals.

I disagree with how IHSAA determines host sites. Assumption isn't the only #1 District seed in 3A to not host first round game - I know of at least two others (Williamsburg and Spirit Lake) - there may be more. Williamsburg went 11-0 in the games that count toward seeding and they don't get to host first round game - makes no sense. Spirit Lake has to travel to Spencer (I think) who was 5-6 in games that count toward seeding, yet they (Spencer) get to host first round game. I know that IHSAA post season manual states that #1 seed no longer is guaranteed to host and travel comes into play, but why shouldn't a team who earns #1 seed earn the right to host first round.

Foo Foo Idiot. See who is playing D1 football next year? Now go back to your momma.and see if she will let you watch some Netfilx.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT