ADVERTISEMENT

2A Projections

My Picks:

Okoboji (2-6) at Central Lyon/George-Little Rock (8-0)
Cherokee (5-3) vs. Kuemper Catholic, Carroll (6-2)
Anamosa (4-4) at Mediapolis (6-2)
North Fayette Valley (3-5) at Monticello (7-1)
Interstate 35, Truro (3-5) at PCM (6-2)
Southeast Valley (5-3) at Spirit Lake (7-1)
Albia (4-4) at Van Meter (8-0)
Union, LaPorte City (2-6) at Waukon (5-3)
West Burlington/Notre Dame (5-3)
at Camanche (4-4)
Des Moines Christian (4-4) at Clarinda (6-2)
Western Christian, Hull (6-2)
at Estherville Lincoln Central (5-3)
Crestwood (3-5) at Jesup (5-3)
Northeast (4-4)
at Mid-Prairie (4-4)
West Marshall (2-6) at New Hampton (3-5)
Clarke, Osceola (4-4) at Roland-Story (6-2)
Clarion-Goldfield-Dows (3-5) at West Lyon (7-1)

My Picks:

West Burlington/Notre Dame (5-3) at Camanche (4-4)
Western Christian, Hull (6-2) at Estherville Lincoln Central (5-3)
Crestwood (3-5)
at Jesup (5-3)
Northeast (4-4) at Mid-Prairie (4-4)

I took ELC just on the play of the QB. That Larson kid is a stud, heck of a playmaker.

Last edited:
Cherokee winning would make it a lot easier to put things into pods. I know they have been overshadowed by the other three in their district but what chances do you really give them? I'm asking because I don't know.
Cherokee is tough and Kuemper is going to have to play well but when #25 Jenness went down for the year, Cherokee now relies heavily on Paulsrud. They've recovered well and still have a pretty good running game thanks to an unexpectedly good offensive line. I don't think Cherokee will be able to slow the game down enough to keep up with Kuemper. IMO I think Kuemper could move up a spot ahead of Spirit Lake. Just from what I've seen this year.

My Picks:

West Burlington/Notre Dame (5-3) at Camanche (4-4)
Western Christian, Hull (6-2)
at Estherville Lincoln Central (5-3)
Crestwood (3-5) at Jesup (5-3)
Northeast (4-4)
at Mid-Prairie (4-4)

Cherokee is tough and Kuemper is going to have to play well but when #25 Jenness went down for the year, Cherokee now relies heavily on Paulsrud. They've recovered well and still have a pretty good running game thanks to an unexpectedly good offensive line. I don't think Cherokee will be able to slow the game down enough to keep up with Kuemper. IMO I think Kuemper could move up a spot ahead of Spirit Lake. Just from what I've seen this year.
Of all of the 4 seeds Cherokee is the best team. They are battle tested with Western, West Lyon, and CLGLR on their schedule. Cherokee is a solid team and would have been district runner up or better in any other district. Their OL was not bad and have a very good QB who is also a stud on defense. It will be interesting to see if they can slow down Kuemper's passing game. Now, I would still same Kuemper is the favorite, but was looking for an upset.

Mepo 21 Anamosa 7 at half. Anamosa fumbled first punt inside 10, Mepo recovered then scored on 4th down. Anamosa scored next possession. Mepo downed two punts at the 1. One of them they intercepted next play at returned for TD. Other Mepo score was a long drive with some good runs. Anamosa will receive second half kickoff.

Clarinda 56 DMC 28. Clarinda scored on each possession I believe (except a kneel to end the half). Gave up a late bomb against the JV to stop the running clock.

Here's what I have. Going to have a couple long travel times in the one pod. West Lyon takes over as the district champ with Waukon out.

Pod 1
Roland-Story @ Central Lyon-George/Little Rock
Western Christian @ Kuemper Catholic, Carroll
- I could see them flipping the away teams to have district rematches and shorter travel times.

Pod 2 (here's your long travel times)
New Hampton @ West Lyon
Clarinda @ Spirit Lake

Pod 3
Union @ Van Meter
Mid-Prairie @ PCM

Pod 4
Camanche @ Mediapolis
Jesup @ Monticello

Racking my brain right now for my pods. One thought that I had come across my empty brain is that the alphabet rule needs to go. They already have the RPI set up. Make the final tiebreak RPI.
Here's what I have. Going to have a couple long travel times in the one pod. West Lyon takes over as the district champ with Waukon out.

Pod 1
Roland-Story @ Central Lyon-George/Little Rock
Western Christian @ Kuemper Catholic, Carroll
- I could see them flipping the away teams to have district rematches and shorter travel times.

Pod 2 (here's your long travel times)
New Hampton @ West Lyon
Clarinda @ Spirit Lake

Pod 3
Union @ Van Meter
Mid-Prairie @ PCM

Pod 4
Camanche @ Mediapolis
Jesup @ Monticello

Racking my brain right now for my pods. One thought that I had come across my empty brain is that the alphabet rule needs to go. They already have the RPI set up. Make the final tiebreak RPI.
I agree. Your higher ranked teams should be hosting or go neutral otherwise.

Here's the actual pods.

POD A

Roland-Story (7-2) at Central Lyon/George-Little Rock (9-0)

Clarinda (7-2) at Kuemper Catholic, Carroll (7-2)

POD B

Union, LaPorte City (3-6) at Van Meter (9-0)

Mid-Prairie, Wellman (5-4) at PCM (7-2)

POD C

Western Christian, Hull (7-2) at West Lyon (8-1)

New Hampton (4-5) at Spirit Lake (8-1)

POD D

Jesup (6-3) at Monticello (8-1)

Camanche (5-4) at Mediapolis (7-2)

Only complaint they may have would be having to travel to PCM if both win. They did host through the quarterfinals last year. Also, hearing their AD is a nice guy to opposing live streaming/broadcasting people.
They were wonderful to us when we traveled there in 2018.

I'm usually pretty critical of the IHSAA, but I'll give them props for getting this right. I think they got the clear top 3 separated and aside from RS having to trek up to Rock Rapids, travel times are pretty reasonable.

I'm usually pretty critical of the IHSAA, but I'll give them props for getting this right. I think they got the clear top 3 separated and aside from RS having to trek up to Rock Rapids, travel times are pretty reasonable.
I agree. Only thing that would have been different is sending Union or NH to CLGLR to reward them a bit more and have RS stick to the middle, but no complaints. They did pretty good.

I agree. Only thing that would have been different is sending Union or NH to CLGLR to reward them a bit more and have RS stick to the middle, but no complaints. They did pretty good.
Union HS to CLGLR: 277 miles
New Hampton to CLGLR: 227 miles

Should the IHSAA have considered Camanche to CLGLR, also? That's only 397 miles.

Should the IHSAA have considered Camanche to CLGLR, also? That's only 397 miles.
Now we are complaining about 280 miles? Like I said, no complaints here, just thought it might be something the state did.

Oh, and btw, if Clarinda wins they are making that 250 mile trip the following week 🤷‍♂️

Now we are complaining about 280 miles? Like I said, no complaints here, just thought it might be something the state did.

Oh, and btw, if Clarinda wins they are making that 250 mile trip the following week 🤷‍♂️
It wasn't a complaint. It was alot of sarcasm which was lost on you.

Should the IHSAA have considered Camanche to CLGLR, also? That's only 397 miles
Yes all considerations should have been on the table. Why not? Id love to see it get organized based on competitive balance over geography. Camanche is getting far out there but anytime a team in the NW has to leave the NW for playoffs its a 3 or 4 hour road trip. Being the 1 seed should be more important than where your school is located. The state doing the ranking system did nothing except separate WL and CLGLR. Just my 2 cents.

You play the teams in front of you and Roland-Story should be a great game Friday, really looking forward to it.

Yes all considerations should have been on the table. Why not? Id love to see it get organized based on competitive balance over geography. Camanche is getting far out there but anytime a team in the NW has to leave the NW for playoffs its a 3 or 4 hour road trip. Being the 1 seed should be more important than where your school is located. The state doing the ranking system did nothing except separate WL and CLGLR. Just my 2 cents.

You play the teams in front of you and Roland-Story should be a great game Friday, really looking forward to it.
Seeding would get rid of all tie breakers including alphabet.

Reactions: C-Town Card

I am 100% ok with the pods but......

I agree 100% with HawkinWater. The new rankings seem to have little value. Biased here, but West Lyon is #3 in their state rankings but get #7 Western Christian and "if" they win will have to travel to Spirit Lake who is ranked #5....... While #9 PCM gets 5-4 Mid Prairie and #5 Spirit Lake get 4-5 New Hampton???

I understand WL is not a district champ, but teams are getting rewarded for being in bad districts. If their new rankings are to really get the top teams to the dome then why don't you use them? Travel is a factor but use your rankings and bring back neutral fields.

Last edited:
Seeding would get rid of all tie breakers including alphabet.

And you're still left fighting the map, like in the larger classes.

The round of 16 should be a 7/10 matchup, but I'm guessing you wouldn't be okay with #10 Mediapolis traveling to #7 Western Christian.

Geography makes it tough no doubt, and they did a solid job of lining things up with travel in mind. My question really only applies to POD C where West Lyon is getting the #7 team in the state and then when need to travel if they win to a team they are ranked over.

From the manual:
Like the IHSAA’s 2022-23 basketball format, committees will create a consensus-based top 10 ranking with the intention of improving the IHSAA’s postseason assignment and seeding process.

If the rankings intention was to create better postseason alignment, wouldn't #3 team in the state be aligned accordingly? Why would Spirit Lake be treated like the #3?

It really doesn't matter and it just comes down to beating who is in front of you, but I would like the state to be more transparent with what these rankings are for.

Here’s the 16 remaining teams through RPI (quick and dirty, probably not 100% accurate).

1 Central Lyon 0.710
2 Van Meter 0.704
3 West Lyon 0.683
4 Spirit Lake 0.644
5 Monticello 0.641
6 Kuemper 0.640
7 Western Christian 0.625
8 Mediapolis 0.624
9 Roland-Story 0.621
10 Clarinda 0.608
11 PCM 0.597
12 Mid-Prairie 0.562
13 Camanche 0.544
14 Jesup 0.532
15 New Hampton 0.493
16 Union 0.468

This old Duffer is babysitting grand kids with the stomach flu with nothing to do. So here are standing as best as I can see.

14: MepoDawgs#, GoPanthers23, MsideChiefs
13: Hooper2021, C-Town Card, blcoach80
12: HawkinWater, usfhawk

PNation - I did not see your picks or most likely I just missed them.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23

My Picks:

POD A

POD B

POD C

POD D

POD A

POD B

POD C

POD D

POD A

POD B

POD C

POD D

POD A

POD B

POD C

POD D

POD A

POD B

POD C

POD D

Impressed with Kuemper and Roland Story progress over the last few years to now.
It's about time R-S started to improve. The coach that came from Osage has taken a long time to get traction. He started what? 2017? 2018? Not sure if riding a senior heavy roster and that is the difference or if he actually is changing the direction of the program overall.

Geography makes it tough no doubt, and they did a solid job of lining things up with travel in mind. My question really only applies to POD C where West Lyon is getting the #7 team in the state and then when need to travel if they win to a team they are ranked over.

From the manual:
Like the IHSAA’s 2022-23 basketball format, committees will create a consensus-based top 10 ranking with the intention of improving the IHSAA’s postseason assignment and seeding process.

If the rankings intention was to create better postseason alignment, wouldn't #3 team in the state be aligned accordingly? Why would Spirit Lake be treated like the #3?

It really doesn't matter and it just comes down to beating who is in front of you, but I would like the state to be more transparent with what these rankings are for.
Probably to suit their preferences if it fits the rankings. If it does not meet their preferences then they just ignore them. 😇

Reactions: C-Town Card

POD A

Clarinda (7-2)
at Kuemper Catholic, Carroll (7-2)

POD B

Mid-Prairie, Wellman (5-4)
at PCM (7-2)

POD C

POD D

POD A

POD B

POD C

POD D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT