ADVERTISEMENT

2A Projections

Here's the actual pods.

POD A

Roland-Story (7-2) at Central Lyon/George-Little Rock (9-0)

Clarinda (7-2) at Kuemper Catholic, Carroll (7-2)

POD B

Union, LaPorte City (3-6) at Van Meter (9-0)

Mid-Prairie, Wellman (5-4) at PCM (7-2)

POD C

Western Christian, Hull (7-2) at West Lyon (8-1)

New Hampton (4-5) at Spirit Lake (8-1)

POD D

Jesup (6-3) at Monticello (8-1)

Camanche (5-4) at Mediapolis (7-2)
VM pod looks like a walk in the park for VM.

Reactions: MsideChief
Kuemper 20- Clarinda 0 almost at the half.

Clarinda had the ball down at the 2 with a minute left, high snap that got returned to the house. 13-8 would be a lot better than 20-0.

Reactions: Juice Boy
Kuemper 20- Clarinda 0 almost at the half.

Clarinda had the ball down at the 2 with a minute left, high snap that got returned to the house. 13-8 would be a lot better than 20-0.
43-8 Final. Playing catch up early is not their strong suit. 6 turnovers for the Cardinals. Good luck Kuemper moving on.

Mepo wins 27-0 over Camanche. Jackson Hutcheson with 3 rushing TD’s and Noah Schmidgall with 1 rushing TD. It was 7-0 until 5 left in 3rd. Camanche was in red zone several times, but nothing to show for it.

Next week is:

Kuemper @ CL/GLR

Van Meter @ PCM

West Lyon @ Spirit Lake

Monticello @ Mediapolis
VM is strong. I understand that. But these scores all season in 2A. Honest question. Is 2A a bit soft except at very top Or is VM truly that good even up in 2A? Poor 1A all those years if so.

VM is strong. I understand that. But these scores all season in 2A. Honest question. Is 2A a bit soft except at very top Or is VM truly that good even up in 2A? Poor 1A all those years if so.
I’d say some of both. But yes, they dominated 1A outside of a couple games. Did they lose any players to Dowling or other bigger schools?

Imo 2a outside the top couple is weaker than 1a or a. I know people will have issues with this statement but I stand by it 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: IGo42
Looks like some solid matchups!

West Lyon at Spirit Lake will be a good game.

The Kuemper vs. CLGLR game will have three Hawkeyes playing. Can Kuemper slow down the high powered offense of the Lions?

Van Meter is really good in 1A or 2A. Imo, there isn't much advantage between a small 2A and a big 1A either though. MFL is a top 4 1A school this year and would be around 6th in 2A this year to me. 2A is down a little and 1A is up some this year, but Van Meter rolls to a 1A title this year if they were still 1A. I think you have VM and Central Lyon a clear top 2 and everyone else in 2A is down a tier (or a couple tiers), but that is why you play the games!

Though the eastern part of the state isn’t the strongest.. All of top teams have a playmaker leading the way. Preston Ries will lead Monti well.

Next week is:

Kuemper @ CL/GLR

Van Meter @ PCM

West Lyon @ Spirit Lake

Monticello @ Mediapolis
Monticello/Mediapolis monti 35-14

havent seen either team play but monticello's qb looks to be a handful. they might make a run at the title if he stays healthy

Van Meter/PCM vanmeter 48-7

vanmeter seems to get alot of favors from the state. cupcake path to the dome.

Spirit Lake/West Lyon spirit lake 21-7

Have heard this west lyon team is very young and not very tough. spirit lake will be too much for them

CLGLR/Kuemper clglr 42-7

Clglr will roll Kuemper. i did hear that cl lost there best wr/cb for the season but it wont matter. they are unstoppable on offense.

Final 4
Monticello
Van Meter
Spirit Lake
Clglr

This old Duffer is babysitting grand kids with the stomach flu with nothing to do. So here are standing as best as I can see.

14: MepoDawgs#, GoPanthers23, MsideChiefs
13: Hooper2021, C-Town Card, blcoach80
12: HawkinWater, usfhawk

PNation - I did not see your picks or most likely I just missed them.
Current Standings:

22: MepoDawgs#, GoPanthers23, MsideChief
21: blcoach80
20: HawkinWater, usfhawk
19: C-Town Card
13: Hooper2021

My picks:

Kuemper @ CL/GLR

Van Meter
@ PCM

West Lyon @ Spirit Lake

Monticello @ Mediapolis

Kuemper @ CL/GLR

Van Meter
@ PCM

West Lyon @ Spirit Lake

Monticello @ Mediapolis

@mepodawg Has MEPO improved throughout the season, is 2A really down this year, or is Regina legit? Probably a combo?

@mepodawg Has MEPO improved throughout the season, is 2A really down this year, or is Regina legit? Probably a combo?
A combo. Regina played very well, Mepo did not. Mepo has changed and improved a lot since that game. It was a learning experience for them. The season could have went two ways after that game. It’s turned for the better for players and coaches. For playoffs teams I do not think 2A is as deep as 1A.

It’ll be interesting to see how they try to defend Preston Ries tonight. I know what I’d do, but I’m not a coach and they don’t solicit my opinion for a reason. Either way it’s been a great year for Mepo, won the district as expected, but most didn’t see them getting this far. Really good group of 11 seniors (10 starters, unfortunately one injured) that will be missed next year.

Hoping for a great turnout tonight for fans on all sides. It’s the only game in SE Iowa and next closest games are @ Williamsburg, Solon and Bettendorf. If people want to see a good game with two P5 recruits and a handful of other good players then come on out.

Reactions: DCAHawk
If anyone is interested for the 3rd straight week a community member or organization has donated to purchase the rights to live stream the Mediapolis game.

Spirit Lake vs West Lyon was nuts. Start watching and it's seven nothing SL at half. SL gets a drive going to start the second half and fumbles the ball away. They get a drive going later and throw a pick 6 at about the West Lyon 10 yard line. 7-7 score. Spirit Lake gets another drive going and throw another pick 6 from about the West Lyon 10 yard line by the same guy. 13-7 West Lyon. SL drives again and scores, make the kick and up 14-13 with just over a minute left and then WL returns the kickoff 90 yards for a TD missed the 2 point conversion and lead 19-14 with under a minute left. SL gets the kick at about the 25 yard line. The ball gets stripped on 1st down and SL has to take a time out. Second down they throw a long sideline pass which is caught and the West Lyon guy falls down and SL scores an 84 yard pass. Miss the 2 pt and hold on to win 20-19.

Last edited:
Kuemper hung tough but not strong enough up front. CLGLR scored to go up 34-27. Ensuing kickoff hugged the sideline and Kuemper just let it roll by for a deep Lions recovery. Lions score a few plays later to essentially ice it. Added another later.

Reactions: ryan2144
Spirit Lake vs West Lyon was nuts. Start watching and it's seven nothing SL at half. SL gets a drive going to start the second half and fumbles the ball away. They get a drive going later and throw a pick 6 at about the West Lyon 10 yard line. 7-7 score. Spirit Lake gets another drive going and throw another pick 6 from about the West Lyon 10 yard line by the same guy. 13-7 West Lyon. SL drives again and scores, make the kick and up 14-13 with just over a minute left and then WL returns the kickoff 90 yards for a TD missed the 2 point conversion and lead 19-14 with under a minute left. SL gets the kick at about the 25 yard line. The ball gets stripped on 1st down and SL has to take a time out. Second down they throw a long sideline pass which is caught and the West Lyon guy falls down and SL scores an 84 yard pass. Miss the 2 pt and hold on to win 20-19.
Seems like both teams thought the last FG attempt went their way but couldn’t see it on stream. Was it close?

Heck of a season by Mepo, sadly the season and 11 great seniors HS FB careers comes to an end. Hard fought game tonight when nobody outside of Mepo gave them a chance and coming back from down 14 twice.

Ries is a load for Monticello, they’ll go as he goes. Good luck to all the semi-finalists.

Wow, gut wrenching for WL. That is why I love hs football. So matchup oriented.

Moral victories.
Thanks for your commentary. Call it what you want.

We’re proud of these young men (especially the 11 seniors who I’ve helped coach all the way up in multiple sports). The season could have went another direction after the losses to SK and ICR. However, they came together as a team, made some changes and made the most of it for one last ride including silencing some doubters along the way. They are great leaders and led by example on and off the field for the younger guys.

If someone outside of our community wants to try to take what they’ve accomplished away or call it something else then that’s a them problem.

Congrats to all the other teams on their seasons and good luck to those still playing. Cherish it while it lasts.

/I’m out

Reactions: Pinehawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT