ADVERTISEMENT

Will there be a 2020 season?

I hope school administrators remember that the quarantine guidelines are "recommendations".
There is no requirement, that I'm aware of, that they MUST follow the guidelines.
So, hopefully, some common sense prevails.

Reactions: Hwkfn1
I bet nearly everyone has had it by now and were either asymptomatic or had a very mild case and didn't realize it.

Baseball was 95% successful, football can do it.
Baseball didn’t have school going on at the same time and is not a contact sport. School closings mean sport shutdowns. I hope and pray you are right that it can be successful, but I feel an immense sense of dread of what’s to come in the next week or two.

Reactions: obfuscating
Baseball didn’t have school going on at the same time and is not a contact sport. School closings mean sport shutdowns. I hope and pray you are right that it can be successful, but I feel an immense sense of dread of what’s to come in the next week or two.
Yep

Plays at bases would be contact (especially home plate), not nearly as much as 10 guys hugging each other at the line. One thing I wish the state would put out is when they say "x" tested positive, how many of those were asymptomatic, how many had mild symptoms, how many were hospitalized (and those that did require hospital care, were there underlying conditions).

People were angry that we didn't have enough testing, now that we are testing people are angry with the high count...Thus far this is just another variant of the flu, we have to learn to live along side it (just like influenza).

Best of luck to all this year, hope we get 90%+ completing football.
Have you visited the coronavirus.iowa.gov website?

^ That’s fascinating, I hadn’t heard that (not surprising given our inept media) but had long suspected this.

Now add to that, that this report says the testing is overly sensitive and reports positive cases at very low levels of virus which are not contagious.

"Some of the nation’s leading public health experts are raising a new concern in the endless debate over coronavirus testing in the United States: The standard tests are diagnosing huge numbers of people who may be carrying relatively insignificant amounts of the virus.

Most of these people are not likely to be contagious, and identifying them may contribute to bottlenecks that prevent those who are contagious from being found in time."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

Shocking having Iowa City schools take the lead and shut everything down. You guys love the limelight. Will be great seeing the ripple effects here. On a side note. Just shows how dumb this is. We are washing off footballs during the game worrying about the 2020 plague, but kids are slobbering and grabbing and falling all over one another every play and that’s ok. You have huge venues at many stadiums where at minimum varsity parents could watch their sons, but I’m hearing some schools aren’t allowing this. It’s just sad what is happening and then what is leaked out recently and not blasted by the media about who’s really affected by the virus. The kids are not only getting their youth taken away by self-serving adults but two sides that would rather argue than do what is right for everyone. I just shake my head daily at the mess

I don't understand how they have to shut down but it is safe for them to go another week and play another football game on friday? That doesn't add up at all.

Yep, just went there - seems better now. Interesting fact, the CDC just came out with updated numbers that shows the ACTUAL mortality rate is far less than what has been reported due to inaccuracies in reporting related deaths.

"
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new data last week that depicts how many Americans who have died from COVID-19 also had contributing conditions.

According to the report, only 6% of deaths have COVID-19 as the only cause mentioned, revealing that 94% of patients who died from coronavirus also had other “health conditions and contributing causes.”

Let’s be honest about this - this doesn’t say “only 6% of COVID deaths were actually from COVID! The pandemic is a lie!” It says 94% of those who died from COVID also had other health conditions, underlying health conditions that you or I or a good 90% of all Americans have ... but conditions that almost certainly aren’t going to kill us, at least right away.

Those 180,000 people with COVID on their death certificates ACTUALLY DIED BECAUSE THEY GOT COVID. Don’t try to misrepresent this CDC info to say, “well, actually, only 9000 deaths were from COVID alone, it’s all media hysteria.”

If you have cancer, or diabetes, or you’re obese, and you get killed when a car runs over you, guess what? You didn’t die from cancer or diabetes or obesity - you died in a car accident. In this scenario, COVID is the car accident.

Listen:
* If someone says (as I see everywhere online) that “The survival rate is 99%, why are we putting in all these restrictions?” let me remind you that a 99% percent survivability rate STILL means 3 MILLION dead Americans if the disease spreads through the entire population (the “herd immunity” plan).

* The idea that COVID isn’t really worse than the flu and we’re overreacting and the deaths are being overcounted doesn’t agree with the reality. Look at the overall number of deaths this year, and compare that with the typical number of deaths. On average, weekly deaths in the US range from just over 60,000 during flu season to around 55,000 in the summers. Weekly deaths spiked to 70,000-80,000 this late spring-early summer, and are still above 60,000 now. Where did all those extra deaths come from? Could it be, oh, I don’t know ... COVID?

* All the medical experts will tell you the official number of deaths attributed to COVID is almost certainly too LOW ... rather than being overcounted, they’re almost assuredly being undercounted somewhat.

Anyway, got off tangent a bit there, but I can’t abide the misrepresentation of this CDC data being presented as “The death counts are fake, only 6% of that number really died from COVID.“ That’s simply not a good-faith description of what the data says.

Reactions: MsideChief
They will not be allowed to play while they are online only. The ICCSD Board made the decision to shut them down.

https://www.press-citizen.com/story...ports-cancelled-in-person-classes/5667234002/

To be fair, it’s the state Department of Education that’s told school districts they can’t have activities if they’re 100% online. I mean, it sucks, but you have to grant the point - if conditions are too unsafe to hold classes in the buildings, how can you justify having non-classroom activities?

I don't understand how they have to shut down but it is safe for them to go another week and play another football game on friday? That doesn't add up at all.

They aren’t in school yet. That’s where the timing comes in. It may not make a lot of sense, but if you do consider the team members to be trying to stay in a “bubble” of sorts, that goes right out the window when classes start and the entire student body is mixing in the hallways.

The state DOE has said if classes are all online, you can’t have activities. Iowa City classes aren’t online (yet) because they haven’t started, so activities can continue until classes start on the 8th. Does it make sense? Not entirely. But that‘s the situation.

Add in that people who signed up for tests, waited in line for an hour and half, left as they had to get to work, were then notified via phone call that they tested positive (without taking the test)....

I doubt that actually happened, in any real sense. I mean, the only stories I've heard about that are "a buddy of mine said three friends of his gave up on waiting in line to be tested - then they got told they were positive! It's all a lie!"

I mean, really. You have any proof of these stories besides third/fourth/fifth hand tales on social media?

I've actually gone through the Test Iowa process a couple of times. There's just no way you can have any kind of "result" being recorded without you actually getting the swab up your nostrils.

How does the UofI state you can't play football but you can go to class, stay in dorms, etc? Maybe it is best to just stop college for the Fall - pick it up in the Spring. If you pay for in-person classes, room and board, and then are sent home for virtual only, do you get your money back? Do the taxpayers get money back for HS and such only doing virtual? If no kids are in the bldgs then you have no bus routes, no bus drivers, no facility usage, no food, no lunch employees, no school nurse, etc.

These are good points. I can't really argue with them.

If COVID is so bad, why do we not have biohazard bins everywhere to deposit spent masks and gloves vs having them blow around the parking lots.

Why do we allow mass protests but not allow church gatherings?

You also miss my point - clearly outlined in my post - that total deaths in the US since April are WAY higher than normal. Do you have any explanation for that besides "COVID isn't so bad"?

Maybe we SHOULD have biohazard bins everywhere, but when denialists throw punches when they're asked to even just wear a frickin' mask for 20 minutes ...

Blaming COVID spread on protests is a red herring. If you see coverage of protests, the percentage of those wearing masks is FAR higher than you would expect, and close to 100% higher than you see at church gatherings of congregations who are denying COVID is a problem in the first place. There's proven examples of community spread linked to churches (and other INDOOR, close-contact gatherings) ... while there's also some examples of community spread linked to cities with outdoor protests, it's nowhere near as high as what you might expect.

The motorcycle gathering in Sturgis is an interesting example. With well over 100,000 people in and out of that area over the week, apparently a lot of tracing of those who attended isn't showing that much of a spread back in the communities they went home to. Is it because it was mostly outside? Who can say? At the same time, though, cases in South Dakota are spiking, particularly in some counties near Sturgis. Is there a connection to the event? Again, it's hard to say. That's why we have experts and scientists, instead of random people on the internet (like me) declaring things are definitely this or absolutely not that.

You know, freedom to protest AND freedom of religion are both in the Constitution. So I get that. But when it comes to a pandemic, there's a world of difference between people being outdoors and at least attempting to wear masks, and crowding into an enclosed room and singing on each other while they say "masks are government tyranny designed to take away our freedoms!" You see that, right?

(And as far as "allowing mass protests but not allow church gatherings" - when's the last time you saw police in riot gear breaking up a church service with tear gas and batons?)

Last edited:
Reactions: MsideChief
I tested positive along with 3 other people who where supposed to have an outpatient procedure the same day (tested 2 day before). Got to stay home for 2 weeks and none of us got sick, tested negative 2 times after.

Reactions: rkhemp
You also miss my point - clearly outlined in my post - that total deaths in the US since April are WAY higher than normal. Do you have any explanation for that besides "COVID isn't so bad"?

Maybe we SHOULD have biohazard bins everywhere, but when denialists throw punches when they're asked to even just wear a frickin' mask for 20 minutes ...

Blaming COVID spread on protests is a red herring. If you see coverage of protests, the percentage of those wearing masks is FAR higher than you would expect, and close to 100% higher than you see at church gatherings of congregations who are denying COVID is a problem in the first place. There's proven examples of community spread linked to churches (and other INDOOR, close-contact gatherings) ... while there's also some examples of community spread linked to cities with outdoor protests, it's nowhere near as high as what you might expect.

The motorcycle gathering in Sturgis is an interesting example. With well over 100,000 people in and out of that area over the week, apparently a lot of tracing of those who attended isn't showing that much of a spread back in the communities they went home to. Is it because it was mostly outside? Who can say? At the same time, though, cases in South Dakota are spiking, particularly in some counties near Sturgis. Is there a connection to the event? Again, it's hard to say. That's why we have experts and scientists, instead of random people on the internet (like me) declaring things are definitely this or absolutely not that.

You know, freedom to protest AND freedom of religion are both in the Constitution. So I get that. But when it comes to a pandemic, there's a world of difference between people being outdoors and at least attempting to wear masks, and crowding into an enclosed room and singing on each other while they say "masks are government tyranny designed to take away our freedoms!" You see that, right?

(And as far as "allowing mass protests but not allow church gatherings" - when's the last time you saw police in riot gear breaking up a church service with tear gas and batons?)
How do you know how many churches are or aren’t wearing masks and taking other precautions? How many are saying the government is infringing on their rights? I know none of our local churches are, they leave politics out of it as it turns people away. And most churches I know are taking precautions whether it’s social distancing, masks, limited numbers with more services, live streaming etc.

Also, when’s the last time you saw churches throwing things at the police?

Reactions: rkhemp
Well, here we are going into week three and although a 2020 season seems possible for many, there are districts (DSM & IC) which have decided to go to all online learning which apparently triggers a suspension of athletic activities, got to feel for those kids. I must say, given all the craziness and upheaval in our world, it’s refreshing to see kids be kids having fun (as players and spectators) and doing something not only “normal” but healthy for them. Here’s to the hope those districts resume competition.

Big change planning to be announced by the Governor tomorrow. Which will mostly end the need for many schools and teams to quarantine for two weeks. This should be big for helping the rest of the season finish in a positive way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT