Will there be a 2020 season?

rkhemp

Varsity
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2007
I can't believe there would be any athletes from out of state who would want to transfer to Iowa when we are about to have all kinds of music and art teachers die of the Corona. They already sent their orbits in

Reactions: your_master5

Reasoned

Freshman
Oct 25, 2017
Well FB camps began today and hopefully they will continue until official practice starts. May the kids stay healthy and safe, sure was nice to see kids active and having fun.

Reactions: Pinehawk

Pinehawk

All State
Sep 16, 2003
People who keep talking about this situation in a negative way are part of what feeds the fears and perpetuates the problem.
Baseball went well. With kids sitting in the dugouts together everyday.

If someone gets sick, then pull them out and keep them out until they are no longer contagious.
Like everyone has always done for illnesses.

Take precautions, but it's time to start living again without constant fear.
Very few catch it. Even fewer have a serious case. And, zero kids in Iowa have died.

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
Ultimately what it comes down to is do you want to be the elected official, or president of a university, or superintendent, or principal, A.D., etc that gives the ok for teams to play, then have people get seriously ill and have lasting affects, or even die. It's not so much of a liability issue, as much as a whose going to be the first one to jump. Once someone jumps in an says hey the water is fine then you will see others take the leap. I've said it since before the shut down, it isn't the illness itself that is scaring most people, it is the unknown with it. Once people have had a chance to study it, and hopefully get a vaccine, then that fear of the unknown goes away.

Ultimately in this situation like so many right now, you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.

Pinehawk

All State
Sep 16, 2003
Well, I'm glad the IHSAA has had the fortitude to allow sports to resume.
Not playing has significant consequences as well. For the 100,000+ of students, coaches and families.
Which has the bigger impact? What benefits all of society more?
No one has to play if they or their family don't feel safe. Sports are an optional extra-curricular activity and families can decide what level of risk they are willing to accept.

I think this quote from Keating summarizes the decision well:
"So where we're at on this a little bit is (analyzing) benefit-risk. ... If we think the risk is too great physically, then we are going to have to give up the emotional and social benefits. We did that in spring. And if we feel that the emotional and social benefits are significant and we feel like, physically, we can limit the risks, then we're going to try to do that. I guess what I'd say is neither Jean nor I take this lightly. There are 150,000 kids that we have to worry about. And no two communities are the same. No two counties are the same. The virus doesn't impact any two human beings exactly the same. And so we just keep looking and looking and looking for that definitive information. And it's elusive."

Reactions: rkhemp and Reasoned

Pinehawk

All State
Sep 16, 2003
Cases have dropped to 6 total positives in Johnson County yesterday. 5 positives reported so far today.
And, many students have been back since August 1st.
But, can't play Iowa College Football. Too risky. bs.

Reasoned

Freshman
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent dialogue in the prior posts. One has to truly question the decision of the Big 10, surprised? not one bit, it’s indicative of the current state of collegiate administration (time will tell with the SEC). I hope the IHSAA sticks with their decision and the fall sports schedule is as successful as the summer...just wished the revised FB scheduling was a little more thoughtful.

oldtimefootball

Freshman
Nov 12, 2016
Got to think the Big XII call (if it holds) will be a big positive for Iowa high school football to continue. Had Iowa and Iowa State both shut down, as well as numerous lower divisions in Iowa, not sure IHSAA could stand alone moving forward.

MepoDawg#

Varsity
Oct 29, 2012
Mediapolis
Got to think the Big XII call (if it holds) will be a big positive for Iowa high school football to continue. Had Iowa and Iowa State both shut down, as well as numerous lower divisions in Iowa, not sure IHSAA could stand alone moving forward.
They stuck with baseball and softball with everything else cancelled.

troutstamp1

Freshman
Aug 24, 2007
They stuck with baseball and softball with everything else cancelled.
We cant keep using baseball and softball as an example because Iowa is the only state that plays summer baseball and softball and more importantly none of those kids were in a classroom setting like the fall athletes will be among many more people. I hope we get thru it and play but im not to confident we finish the season when schools are in full swing because of the isolation guidelines you could miss 3 of your 7 game season with 1 positive test. We will know alot more in next couple weeks when schools are in full swing.

Reactions: oldtimefootball

MepoDawg#

Varsity
Oct 29, 2012
Mediapolis
We cant keep using baseball and softball as an example because Iowa is the only state that plays summer baseball and softball and more importantly none of those kids were in a classroom setting like the fall athletes will be among many more people. I hope we get thru it and play but im not to confident we finish the season when schools are in full swing because of the isolation guidelines you could miss 3 of your 7 game season with 1 positive test. We will know alot more in next couple weeks when schools are in full swing.
The whole team won’t be done if they’re following guidelines, only the positive case and any that can be traced to them according to guidelines.

troutstamp1

Freshman
Aug 24, 2007
The whole team won’t be done if they’re following guidelines, only the positive case and any that can be traced to them according to guidelines.
Your 100% wrong as every county treats it different. Large schools can isolate freshmen or sophomore teams and coaches from the varsity but at smaller schools you may only have 3 to 4 coaches if that, and they all coach the same kids so 1 positive case by a team member will shut them down for 2 weeks. Not to mention the chances are greater when they get back in the classroom will all the other students.

MepoDawg#

Varsity
Oct 29, 2012
Mediapolis
Your 100% wrong as every county treats it different. Large schools can isolate freshmen or sophomore teams and coaches from the varsity but at smaller schools you may only have 3 to 4 coaches if that, and they all coach the same kids so 1 positive case by a team member will shut them down for 2 weeks. Not to mention the chances are greater when they get back in the classroom will all the other students.
So I may not be 100% wrong if each county treats it differently. We may both be right depending on team and county.

rkhemp

Varsity
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2007
If you are following guidelines a single positive test result should not take down an entire team. Unless they change the guidelines from being exposed to someone with COVID to being exposed to someone who was exposed to someone with COVID.

I am sure we will see cases where a team will be shut down after multiple positives, but if one positive test takes down an entire team that would be very poor planning and execution by the school, whether it be a big or small school.

Pinehawk

All State
Sep 16, 2003
I hope school administrators remember that the quarantine guidelines are "recommendations".
There is no requirement, that I'm aware of, that they MUST follow the guidelines.
So, hopefully, some common sense prevails.

Reactions: Hwkfn1

obfuscating

Freshman
Jan 8, 2016
And surprise surprise! It looks like the first Illinois kid announcing a transfer to play in Iowa this fall is going to ... (drum roll) ... Dowling! What a shocker.

Domenic Virelli, a D-2 prospect as a long snapper and offensive lineman from Nazareth Academy, announced on Twitter that he’s enrolling at Dowling and intending to play this season.
So instead of hopping across the border he jumps way over to Dowling? I now CCA got an Illinois kid as well.

obfuscating

Freshman
Jan 8, 2016
People who keep talking about this situation in a negative way are part of what feeds the fears and perpetuates the problem.
Baseball went well. With kids sitting in the dugouts together everyday.

If someone gets sick, then pull them out and keep them out until they are no longer contagious.
Like everyone has always done for illnesses.

Take precautions, but it's time to start living again without constant fear.
Very few catch it. Even fewer have a serious case. And, zero kids in Iowa have died.
I bet nearly everyone has had it by now and were either asymptomatic or had a very mild case and didn't realize it.

Baseball was 95% successful, football can do it.

Football211

Freshman
Gold Member
Feb 27, 2016
I bet nearly everyone has had it by now and were either asymptomatic or had a very mild case and didn't realize it.

Baseball was 95% successful, football can do it.
Baseball didn’t have school going on at the same time and is not a contact sport. School closings mean sport shutdowns. I hope and pray you are right that it can be successful, but I feel an immense sense of dread of what’s to come in the next week or two.

Reactions: obfuscating

Reasoned

Freshman
Oct 25, 2017
Baseball didn’t have school going on at the same time and is not a contact sport. School closings mean sport shutdowns. I hope and pray you are right that it can be successful, but I feel an immense sense of dread of what’s to come in the next week or two.
Yep

obfuscating

Freshman
Jan 8, 2016
Plays at bases would be contact (especially home plate), not nearly as much as 10 guys hugging each other at the line. One thing I wish the state would put out is when they say "x" tested positive, how many of those were asymptomatic, how many had mild symptoms, how many were hospitalized (and those that did require hospital care, were there underlying conditions).

People were angry that we didn't have enough testing, now that we are testing people are angry with the high count...Thus far this is just another variant of the flu, we have to learn to live along side it (just like influenza).

Best of luck to all this year, hope we get 90%+ completing football.

MepoDawg#

Varsity
Oct 29, 2012
Mediapolis
Plays at bases would be contact (especially home plate), not nearly as much as 10 guys hugging each other at the line. One thing I wish the state would put out is when they say "x" tested positive, how many of those were asymptomatic, how many had mild symptoms, how many were hospitalized (and those that did require hospital care, were there underlying conditions).

People were angry that we didn't have enough testing, now that we are testing people are angry with the high count...Thus far this is just another variant of the flu, we have to learn to live along side it (just like influenza).

Best of luck to all this year, hope we get 90%+ completing football.
Have you visited the coronavirus.iowa.gov website?

obfuscating

Freshman
Jan 8, 2016
Have you visited the coronavirus.iowa.gov website?
Yep, just went there - seems better now. Interesting fact, the CDC just came out with updated numbers that shows the ACTUAL mortality rate is far less than what has been reported due to inaccuracies in reporting related deaths.

"
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new data last week that depicts how many Americans who have died from COVID-19 also had contributing conditions.

According to the report, only 6% of deaths have COVID-19 as the only cause mentioned, revealing that 94% of patients who died from coronavirus also had other “health conditions and contributing causes.”

Reasoned

Freshman
Oct 25, 2017
^ That’s fascinating, I hadn’t heard that (not surprising given our inept media) but had long suspected this.

Pinehawk

All State
Sep 16, 2003
Now add to that, that this report says the testing is overly sensitive and reports positive cases at very low levels of virus which are not contagious.

"Some of the nation’s leading public health experts are raising a new concern in the endless debate over coronavirus testing in the United States: The standard tests are diagnosing huge numbers of people who may be carrying relatively insignificant amounts of the virus.

Most of these people are not likely to be contagious, and identifying them may contribute to bottlenecks that prevent those who are contagious from being found in time."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

iowa12

Freshman
Dec 27, 2007
Shocking having Iowa City schools take the lead and shut everything down. You guys love the limelight. Will be great seeing the ripple effects here. On a side note. Just shows how dumb this is. We are washing off footballs during the game worrying about the 2020 plague, but kids are slobbering and grabbing and falling all over one another every play and that’s ok. You have huge venues at many stadiums where at minimum varsity parents could watch their sons, but I’m hearing some schools aren’t allowing this. It’s just sad what is happening and then what is leaked out recently and not blasted by the media about who’s really affected by the virus. The kids are not only getting their youth taken away by self-serving adults but two sides that would rather argue than do what is right for everyone. I just shake my head daily at the mess

Aug 21, 2020
I don't understand how they have to shut down but it is safe for them to go another week and play another football game on friday? That doesn't add up at all.

KidSilverhair

Varsity
Aug 31, 2008
www.thirdandamile.blogspot.com
Yep, just went there - seems better now. Interesting fact, the CDC just came out with updated numbers that shows the ACTUAL mortality rate is far less than what has been reported due to inaccuracies in reporting related deaths.

"
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new data last week that depicts how many Americans who have died from COVID-19 also had contributing conditions.

According to the report, only 6% of deaths have COVID-19 as the only cause mentioned, revealing that 94% of patients who died from coronavirus also had other “health conditions and contributing causes.”

Let’s be honest about this - this doesn’t say “only 6% of COVID deaths were actually from COVID! The pandemic is a lie!” It says 94% of those who died from COVID also had other health conditions, underlying health conditions that you or I or a good 90% of all Americans have ... but conditions that almost certainly aren’t going to kill us, at least right away.

Those 180,000 people with COVID on their death certificates ACTUALLY DIED BECAUSE THEY GOT COVID. Don’t try to misrepresent this CDC info to say, “well, actually, only 9000 deaths were from COVID alone, it’s all media hysteria.”

If you have cancer, or diabetes, or you’re obese, and you get killed when a car runs over you, guess what? You didn’t die from cancer or diabetes or obesity - you died in a car accident. In this scenario, COVID is the car accident.

Listen:
* If someone says (as I see everywhere online) that “The survival rate is 99%, why are we putting in all these restrictions?” let me remind you that a 99% percent survivability rate STILL means 3 MILLION dead Americans if the disease spreads through the entire population (the “herd immunity” plan).

* The idea that COVID isn’t really worse than the flu and we’re overreacting and the deaths are being overcounted doesn’t agree with the reality. Look at the overall number of deaths this year, and compare that with the typical number of deaths. On average, weekly deaths in the US range from just over 60,000 during flu season to around 55,000 in the summers. Weekly deaths spiked to 70,000-80,000 this late spring-early summer, and are still above 60,000 now. Where did all those extra deaths come from? Could it be, oh, I don’t know ... COVID?

* All the medical experts will tell you the official number of deaths attributed to COVID is almost certainly too LOW ... rather than being overcounted, they’re almost assuredly being undercounted somewhat.

Anyway, got off tangent a bit there, but I can’t abide the misrepresentation of this CDC data being presented as “The death counts are fake, only 6% of that number really died from COVID.“ That’s simply not a good-faith description of what the data says.

Reactions: MsideChief

KidSilverhair

Varsity
Aug 31, 2008
They will not be allowed to play while they are online only. The ICCSD Board made the decision to shut them down.

https://www.press-citizen.com/story...ports-cancelled-in-person-classes/5667234002/
To be fair, it’s the state Department of Education that’s told school districts they can’t have activities if they’re 100% online. I mean, it sucks, but you have to grant the point - if conditions are too unsafe to hold classes in the buildings, how can you justify having non-classroom activities?

KidSilverhair

Varsity
Aug 31, 2008
I don't understand how they have to shut down but it is safe for them to go another week and play another football game on friday? That doesn't add up at all.
They aren’t in school yet. That’s where the timing comes in. It may not make a lot of sense, but if you do consider the team members to be trying to stay in a “bubble” of sorts, that goes right out the window when classes start and the entire student body is mixing in the hallways.

The state DOE has said if classes are all online, you can’t have activities. Iowa City classes aren’t online (yet) because they haven’t started, so activities can continue until classes start on the 8th. Does it make sense? Not entirely. But that‘s the situation.

obfuscating

Freshman
Jan 8, 2016
Let’s be honest about this - this doesn’t say “only 6% of COVID deaths were actually from COVID! The pandemic is a lie!” It says 94% of those who died from COVID also had other health conditions, underlying health conditions that you or I or a good 90% of all Americans have ... but conditions that almost certainly aren’t going to kill us, at least right away.

Those 180,000 people with COVID on their death certificates ACTUALLY DIED BECAUSE THEY GOT COVID. Don’t try to misrepresent this CDC info to say, “well, actually, only 9000 deaths were from COVID alone, it’s all media hysteria.”

If you have cancer, or diabetes, or you’re obese, and you get killed when a car runs over you, guess what? You didn’t die from cancer or diabetes or obesity - you died in a car accident. In this scenario, COVID is the car accident.

Listen:
* If someone says (as I see everywhere online) that “The survival rate is 99%, why are we putting in all these restrictions?” let me remind you that a 99% percent survivability rate STILL means 3 MILLION dead Americans if the disease spreads through the entire population (the “herd immunity” plan).

* The idea that COVID isn’t really worse than the flu and we’re overreacting and the deaths are being overcounted doesn’t agree with the reality. Look at the overall number of deaths this year, and compare that with the typical number of deaths. On average, weekly deaths in the US range from just over 60,000 during flu season to around 55,000 in the summers. Weekly deaths spiked to 70,000-80,000 this late spring-early summer, and are still above 60,000 now. Where did all those extra deaths come from? Could it be, oh, I don’t know ... COVID?

* All the medical experts will tell you the official number of deaths attributed to COVID is almost certainly too LOW ... rather than being overcounted, they’re almost assuredly being undercounted somewhat.

Anyway, got off tangent a bit there, but I can’t abide the misrepresentation of this CDC data being presented as “The death counts are fake, only 6% of that number really died from COVID.“ That’s simply not a good-faith description of what the data says.
If COVID is so bad, why do we not have biohazard bins everywhere to deposit spent masks and gloves vs having them blow around the parking lots.

Why do we allow mass protests but not allow church gatherings?

obfuscating

Freshman
Jan 8, 2016
To be fair, it’s the state Department of Education that’s told school districts they can’t have activities if they’re 100% online. I mean, it sucks, but you have to grant the point - if conditions are too unsafe to hold classes in the buildings, how can you justify having non-classroom activities?
How does the UofI state you can't play football but you can go to class, stay in dorms, etc? Maybe it is best to just stop college for the Fall - pick it up in the Spring. If you pay for in-person classes, room and board, and then are sent home for virtual only, do you get your money back? Do the taxpayers get money back for HS and such only doing virtual? If no kids are in the bldgs then you have no bus routes, no bus drivers, no facility usage, no food, no lunch employees, no school nurse, etc.

obfuscating

Freshman
Jan 8, 2016
Now add to that, that this report says the testing is overly sensitive and reports positive cases at very low levels of virus which are not contagious.

"Some of the nation’s leading public health experts are raising a new concern in the endless debate over coronavirus testing in the United States: The standard tests are diagnosing huge numbers of people who may be carrying relatively insignificant amounts of the virus.

Most of these people are not likely to be contagious, and identifying them may contribute to bottlenecks that prevent those who are contagious from being found in time."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html
Add in that people who signed up for tests, waited in line for an hour and half, left as they had to get to work, were then notified via phone call that they tested positive (without taking the test)....

KidSilverhair

Varsity
Aug 31, 2008
Add in that people who signed up for tests, waited in line for an hour and half, left as they had to get to work, were then notified via phone call that they tested positive (without taking the test)....
I doubt that actually happened, in any real sense. I mean, the only stories I've heard about that are "a buddy of mine said three friends of his gave up on waiting in line to be tested - then they got told they were positive! It's all a lie!"

I mean, really. You have any proof of these stories besides third/fourth/fifth hand tales on social media?

I've actually gone through the Test Iowa process a couple of times. There's just no way you can have any kind of "result" being recorded without you actually getting the swab up your nostrils.

Latest posts