ADVERTISEMENT

Top 3A Conference

mtdew_fever

All District
Jul 14, 2004
Looks like the Raccon River Conference is near the top again for 3A. Carroll really tough team as is Winterset.

I'd have to go with the Little Hawkeye, with the teams they have.
Incidently, no mention anywhere else, but the state's two top players squared off the other night when Norwalk beat Oskaloosa 73- 64. The stars combined for 85 points! Bowen Born threw in 49 for Norwalk. He is headed to UNI. Iowa State-bound Xavier Foster returned from his mono illness to score 36 points in his return. What a performance by these players.

Reactions: stickman80
I'd have to go with the Little Hawkeye, with the teams they have.
Incidently, no mention anywhere else, but the state's two top players squared off the other night when Norwalk beat Oskaloosa 73- 64. The stars combined for 85 points! Bowen Born threw in 49 for Norwalk. He is headed to UNI. Iowa State-bound Xavier Foster returned from his mono illness to score 36 points in his return. What a performance by these players.
Some of the best prep players in Iowa history! Wish I would have gotten to see it. I would say raccoon river is a close 2nd to the little Hawkeye. Norwalk and Pella are both legit and Osky will be a tough out as well

I need to check out a game for sure!!

I would encourage you to make time to catch a game of his. There are a select few where you watch them and just know they are simply a level above everyone else out there. He is one of those kind of players. You get the sense he could take over whenever he wants.

It really puts in perspective the talent needed to get to a D1 level.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
DC Grimes is a club to watch out for in the near future. They have some upcoming squads that I thought were good.

Looks like the Raccon River Conference is near the top again for 3A. Carroll really tough team as is Winterset.
You're dreaming.

My Stangs are 3-0 against the Coon (4-0 after tomorrow night) but only 3-3 in the Little Hawkeye.

Carroll is a decent team...but the Raccoon is not a top conference.

Last edited:
DC Grimes is a club to watch out for in the near future. They have some upcoming squads that I thought were good.

We'll find out if they are decent tomorrow night. If they can't end their 3 game skid mark in convincing fashion against a 5-5 ADM tomorrow night, they aren't what many folks in Grimes thought they would be.

We'll find out if they are decent tomorrow night. If they can't end their 3 game skid mark in convincing fashion against a 5-5 ADM tomorrow night, they aren't what many folks in Grimes thought they would be.

Sorry for not being more clear in my earlier post. I wasn't talking about this year's squad.

By up and coming, I was referencing their freshmen class this year, and the potential they have. I'd seen that DCG class play over their elementary and middle school years as a club team and dominate, even against larger schools.

I'm really curious to see if that squad's success can morph into something when they become juniors/seniors.

A couple other schools who have freshmen where the club teams were pretty dang good were East Marshall and WACO.

I have a 3A question for you stickman80. I know very little about the Pella team.

Is Pella legit for being ranked #1 in 3A at this point in time? Or will it be a Norwalk / Osky coming out of the Little Hawkeye eventually?

I have a 3A question for you stickman80. I know very little about the Pella team.

Is Pella legit for being ranked #1 in 3A at this point in time? Or will it be a Norwalk / Osky coming out of the Little Hawkeye eventually?

#1? IDK. Awfully hard to pick a team and say they are the best. IMO there is no team standing way above everyone else at this point but if you have a ranking you got to put someone on top and I couldn't argue with Pella being there....for now.

Pella, Norwalk, and Osky are all very good clubs and it could come down to who is hot at the right time.

I just don’t think Osky quite has the all around team. Without Foster I don’t think they’re even in the top half of 3a basketball. They could get past it last year with two D1 bigs and another terrific 6’5 kid, but this year Foster has all the load. That team will go as far as he can carry them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT