ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry bammer buds.... you ain't in.

derek_tiger

Freshman
Dec 20, 2009
This is where the sword cuts both ways. Remember 2017? You guys got in and didn't even win the West Division. So it's hard to complain that you're in NOW over Conference Champion's Mich, FSU, TX, and UW. ALL are NCAA Power 5 conferences. ALL are undefeated (which is the best a team can do).

Shit schedule you say about TX? Hmmm... Jeff Sagarin disagrees:

sagarin-12-3.jpg

TX = 2
UA = 15

The rest is academic. FSU should not be in the discussion... except for the fact they are. The NCAA barely has any cred left, and bypassing FSU with some 'eye test' after going unbeaten in a Power 5 Conference would create a tsunami against them the likes have never seen.

Can you imagine the carnage if this were to happen aka... bama gets in and then gets beat 'again' by TX? Or even UW or UM? Holy schiza!

Ain't happenin' boys... I think you had your do-over in 2017. This is just pure logic and reason. But I'm sure 'some' will see it differently.

(Let the 'You’re a victim every year with a massive bammer inferiority complex, so I expect this one to be no different. It will be ok' begin!! [$1 to pops]). 🤔

• Love
Reactions: Pops Masterson
^ While I have NO DOUBT Bama is a better team than FSU, I can absolutely see the committee taking the political route (this being the final year of four teams PO) and take an undefeated (yet inferior) FSU.

Agree to disagree, Bama is in. My guess is Texas is in as well while FSU is not. Just my guess but the 1 loss SEC Champ is in.

"Remember 2017....so it's hard to complain" sounds a lot like emotion vs logic. JMO

If they want the 4 best teams, no way FSU is in.

If I was elected dictator of picking who is in...

Michigan
Bama
UGA
Texas

I don't believe that will happen but those are the best 4 teams. Washington had a very impressive season by P12 standards but no one actually believes that they are better than UGA.

This is where the sword cuts both ways. Remember 2017? You guys got in and didn't even win the West Division. So it's hard to complain that you're in NOW over Conference Champion's Mich, FSU, TX, and UW. ALL are NCAA Power 5 conferences. ALL are undefeated (which is the best a team can do).

sagarin-12-3.jpg

TX = 2
UA = 15

The rest is academic. FSU should not be in the discussion... except for the fact they are. The NCAA barely has any cred left, and bypassing FSU with some 'eye test' after going unbeaten in a Power 5 Conference would create a tsunami against them the likes have never seen.

Can you imagine the carnage if this were to happen aka... bama gets in and then gets beat 'again' by TX? Or even UW or UM? Holy schiza!

Ain't happenin' boys... I think you had your do-over in 2017. This is just pure logic and reason. But I'm sure 'some' will see it differently.

(Let the 'You’re a victim every year with a massive bammer inferiority complex, so I expect this one to be no different. It will be ok' begin!! [$1 to pops]). 🤔
Texas lost to OU

Agree to disagree, Bama is in. My guess is Texas is in as well while FSU is not. Just my guess but the 1 loss SEC Champ is in.

"Remember 2017....so it's hard to complain" sounds a lot like emotion vs logic. JMO

Michigan
Bama
UGA
Texas

I don't believe that will happen but those are the best 4 teams. Washington had a very impressive season by P12 standards but no one actually believes that they are better than UGA.
Yep. If it’s really about best 4. But we all
Know it’s not. Never has been.

Reactions: BamaFan1137
It's the age old debate...deserves vs who are the best 4 teams.

With all due respect to my friend Derek the Auburn fan, I'm not surprised he has us out.
I mean head to head does matter but you have to have some actual logic and intelligence to go with it. The Bama team that lost to UT and ride the struggle bus with USF disappeared when the offense was adapted to fit Millroe’s strengths. It’s clear Bama is one of the four best.

And how can the team that was undefeated and ranked #1 99.9% of the season by the people now tasked with picking the best four suddenly not be one of them by virtue of losing to one of the best four in a championship game by a field goal? You can’t if you are truly objective and devoid of bias.

Michigan
Bama
UGA
Texas
Here is the criteria... or, the cryteria depending on where you stand:

1. Conference championships won,
2. Strength of schedule,
3. Head‐to‐head competition,
4. Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incentivizing margin of victory), and,
Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.

TX wins on the first three, which are the first three for a reason. So they're in regardless of what #4 comes up with.

IF it comes down to FSU v. Bama, Bama loses on the top dog #1. Bama wins on #2, and there wasn't a #3 for them... only that LSU lost to both by almost identical scores but Bama was a home team vs. neutral field FSU v. LSU.

#4 is the only chance Bama has to get in. But one could make the argument that FSU is still 'more deserving' (been hearing a lot of that this morning) b/c they won out WITHOUT their best player. Hmmm.

Again, subjective arguments are left to the last spot. If the committee weighs the selection in order of importance, FSU is in. Regardless that we all know Bama would kill them.

>PS: the 2017 example isn't emotion at all. It's just that circumstances pushed Bama well down the list of selection criteria yet they still got in the championship. Circumstances now aren't working out that way. Logic. Oh, yeah... reason too! ;)

2. Strength of schedule,
4. Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incentivizing margin of victory), and,
Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.

TX wins on the first three, which are the first three for a reason. So they're in regardless of what #4 comes up with.

IF it comes down to FSU v. Bama, Bama loses on the top dog #1. Bama wins on #2, and there wasn't a #3 for them... only that LSU lost to both by almost identical scores but Bama was a home team vs. neutral field FSU v. LSU.

#4 is the only chance Bama has to get in. But one could make the argument that FSU is still 'more deserving' (been hearing a lot of that this morning) b/c they won out WITHOUT their best player. Hmmm.

Again, subjective arguments are left to the last spot. If the committee weighs the selection in order of importance, FSU is in. Regardless that we all know Bama would kill them.
“Cryteria”. Well done.

Reactions: Konigstiger

2. Strength of schedule,

>PS: the 2017 example isn't emotion at all. It's just that circumstances pushed Bama well down the list of selection criteria yet they still got in the championship. Circumstances now aren't working out that way. Logic. Oh, yeah... reason too! ;)

Deserves vs the best 4 teams.

It's the age old debate...deserves vs who are the best 4 teams.
With all due respect to my friend Derek the Auburn fan, I'm not surprised he has us out.
Sadly, I knew my Logic & Reason argument would fall on my dear bammer(s) friend's deaf ears. I am an SEC fan through and through and think UGly & Bama are 2 of the best teams in CFB. But that's my bias speaking.

Sadly, I knew my Logic & Reason argument would fall on my dear bammer(s) friend's deaf ears. I am an SEC fan through and through and think UGly & Bama are 2 of the best teams in CFB. But that's my bias speaking.

I'm just saying...it was rather predictable.

I hope you're right Derek but I have a feeling that FSU gets the shaft because the committee will consider the injury to the QB.

I'm looking forward to the meltdown if I'm wrong. ☺️

Reactions: dhetiger

sagarin-12-3.jpg

TX = 2
UA = 15

BTW, according to ESPN Analytics, Bama's SOS is 4th. UTx is 13th while FSU is 55th.

W-L vs Top 25 teams...

Bama 4-1
UTx 3-1
FSU 3-0

Best wins...

Bama- UGA, LSU
UTx- Bama, Ok St
FSU- LSU, Louisville

I was pulling for that but I knew it wouldn't happen.

I really DGAS about other SEC teams making the playoff. I will freely admit that I'm too immature and partisan about this.

I don't really understand this logic. This would have hurt your conference ergo your team.

Then again, if you hate a team more than you like another, this makes perfect sense. JMO

I don't really understand this logic. This would have hurt your conference ergo your team.

Then again, if you hate a team more than you like another, this makes perfect sense. JMO
It is far from logic on my part.
I understand and actually agree that they got the four best teams.

But this is a message board for malcontents of one sort or another so I'm just holding up my end.🙂

My dislike of the SEC deals more with the hypocrisy that runs within it. Every SEC school lost their fvcking minds on the Cam thing, all while having payrolls that were just as big as Auburn’s. I don't recall SEC fans chanting SEC! SEC! prior to our game with Oregon, so you're free to believe that last sentence while I know that you're 100% wrong. The SEC is successful because of on field performances, not because I want bama to lose. And it certainly doesn't mean I hate bama or uga more than I love Auburn.

• Love

But this is a message board for malcontents of one sort or another so I'm just holding up my end.🙂
Now I'm not positive about this... I believe UGly would beat FSU like a rented mule. Since the committee's rules don't really matter and it's all eye test, the ball-lickers probably should be ticked off too.

My dislike of the SEC deals more with the hypocrisy that runs within it. Every SEC school lost their fvcking minds on the Cam thing, all while having payrolls that were just as big as Auburn’s. I don't recall SEC fans chanting SEC! SEC! prior to our game with Oregon, so you're free to believe that last sentence while I know that you're 100% wrong. The SEC is successful because of on field performances, not because I want bama to lose. And it certainly doesn't mean I hate bama or uga more than I love Auburn.
Well said. None of the SEC were pulling for Auburn in 2010 and I seriously doubt any but Auburn fans cared in 2013.

Reactions: dhetiger
Well said. None of the SEC were pulling for Auburn in 2010 and I seriously doubt any but Auburn fans cared in 2013.
UGa and bama being successful doesn't help AU at all. We compete with them for recruits, and lose those recruiting battles more often than not. Those 2 winning titles makes the sale much easier. Wanting them to lose, or get left out of the playoffs, doesn't mean we dislike some teams more than we like our own. It's actually the exact opposite of that when looked at logically.

• Love
As one of the few resident non SEC members, I really believe the PO committee got it right by including Bama (of course I’m biased towards them) but let’s be honest, playing through the SEC is typically more rigorous than others. Truth be told, I’d have included UGA over an undefeated WA……then watch their heads explode

As one of the few resident non SEC members, I really believe the PO committee got it right by including Bama (of course I’m biased towards them) but let’s be honest, playing through the SEC is typically more rigorous than others. Truth be told, I’d have included UGA over an undefeated WA……then watch their heads explode
I definitely agree that they got it right. But, fvck bama anyway.

UGa and bama being successful doesn't help AU at all. We compete with them for recruits, and lose those recruiting battles more often than not. Those 2 winning titles makes the sale much easier. Wanting them to lose, or get left out of the playoffs, doesn't mean we dislike some teams more than we like our own. It's actually the exact opposite of that when looked at logically.

It only helps if AU is in the situation Bama was today. There's no doubt that the SEC's overall success the last 20 years is a big reason Bama got in over FSU.

If AU can't get to that mountaintop, then yeah it only hurts them.

I don't remember the FSU fans crying when UCF got left out in 2017.

Sagarin Ratings 2017
13. UCF - SOS - 72

Sagarin Ratings 2023
10. FSU - SOS - 61

Yeah I know it's not the same, but it'll be a fun stat to poke at FSU fans in the future.

It only helps if AU is in the situation Bama was today. There's no doubt that the SEC's overall success the last 20 years is a big reason Bama got in over FSU.

If AU can't get to that mountaintop, then yeah it only hurts them.
I don't believe AU gets in today in the exact same situation. I actually believe that bama got in because FSU is without Travis. If he's healthy, no SEC team is in.

Love you, mean it...but the SEC getting left out still would have hurt your program.

It can't be OK that a 1 loss Champ from the SEC playing as well as Bama has since the UTk game would have been left out. If it could happen to us, it damn sure could happen to you. That's now less likely because it didn't happen today.

Moving forward, 12 teams now...but it can still come down to SEC credibility for the 12th team moving forward.

I don't believe AU gets in today in the exact same situation. I actually believe that bama got in because FSU is without Travis. If he's healthy, no SEC team is in.

Oh I don't disagree that FSU gets in with a healthy Travis, they would be in at #3. But if Bama and the SEC didn't have the reputation it does, they likely leave FSU in, IMO.

Also FSU can send a thank you letter to TCU for that NC game last year, that had some impact too.

Love you, mean it...but the SEC getting left out still would have hurt your program.

It can't be OK that a 1 loss Champ from the SEC playing as well as Bama has since the UTk game would have been left out. If it could happen to us, it damn sure could happen to you. That's now less likely because it didn't happen today.

Moving forward, 12 teams now...but it can still come down to SEC credibility for the 12th team moving forward.
Agree to disagree. Auburn does not get that nod today like bama did. And you should send Travis a combined "Get Well/Thank You" card.

Oh I don't disagree that FSU gets in with a healthy Travis, they would be in at #3. But if Bama and the SEC didn't have the reputation it does, they likely leave FSU in, IMO.

Also FSU can send a thank you letter to TCU for that NC game last year, that had some impact too.
That's all speculation, obviously. The only reason they would've put them in was Travis, IMO.

A. I pulled for Auburn vs Oregon. You witnessed me doing so. If others didn't, they're misguided imho. I practice what I preach and I actually believe it.

B. As a conference, we're as successful as we are due to on-field performance, agree. Much of that performance is due to the credibility of the conference. We get recruits because of that credibility. "One thing doesn't look like the others."

So yes, imho, pulling against our conference getting into the playoffs, under the circumstances where we all damn well know our conference should get in, is absolutely counterintuitive. It's for that reason that I said that perhaps some hate X more than they love Y.

I'm not mad at anyone...I just completely disagree with the mindset. Most seem to disagree with me. That's fine...you're all just wrong. 😂

Reactions: Reasoned
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT