ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry bammer buds.... you ain't in.

It only helps if AU is in the situation Bama was today. There's no doubt that the SEC's overall success the last 20 years is a big reason Bama got in over FSU.

If AU can't get to that mountaintop, then yeah it only hurts them.

This was what I was trying to say. Perhaps I said it poorly.

It doesn't guarantee Auburn’s or any other SEC teams success....but it does provide the path that teams in other conferences may not have. An example of such....freaking FSU.

Because FSU plays in a conference with very little football credibility, they went undefeated and didn't get in. That's all I'm saying.

Reactions: Konigstiger
I could point this out, and I will, even though I’m not gonna get involved in all of this who should be in and who should be left out stuff
Bama got their asses wupped in 2017 by 15pts in the iron bowl and didn’t even play or win the SEC championship and still stayed in the playoffs at #4. This Bs is so rigged it’s ridiculous

I could point this out, and I will, even though I’m not gonna get involved in all of this who should be in and who should be left out stuff
Bama got their asses wupped in 2017 by 15pts in the iron bowl and didn’t even play or win the SEC championship and still stayed in the playoffs at #4. This Bs is so rigged it’s ridiculous

Bama was lucky things fell as they did that year across college football. Wasn’t anything rigged about it though. Bama can thank Iowa for blowing out Ohio State in early November for that one.

Bama was lucky things fell as they did that year across college football. Wasn’t anything rigged about it though. Bama can thank Iowa for blowing out Ohio State in early November for that one.
200w.gif

Concerning Jake, check my reply to gator... You or I could've won a title with that team, and Jake just happened to be at the right place/right time. Not even getting drafted proved my superior prognostications.

Regardless, let me explain my post:

I actually thought for once the NCAA would have painted themselves into a corner even they couldn't get out of w/o trashing whatever shred of dignity they may still have. They tried to regain it last year with TCU AFTER losing to KSU in the Big12 CC and to their (NCAA) credit, TCU made them almost righteous again... they beat Michigan in the semis as an 8pt underdog.

If you follow that reasoning, FSU being undefeated had even more cred regardless of the QB situation. I figured they would apply the same reasoning. Given they didn't, they are now so low they have to carry umbrellas to keep ants from pissing on them.

Even now, the 'best 4 teams' is a farce. 1st, UGly would beat UW like a redheaded stepchild. Secondly, I think OSU would probably beat UTx as well. So this whole charade is just based on some flimsy bias.

I went ahead and re-wrote the guidelines for future CFP selectors:

Conference championships won,

Strength of schedule,

Head‐to‐head competition,

Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incentivizing margin of victory), and, other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.

Fvck the season... just pick the teams that will bring the most eyeballs to TV and asses in seats at the games.

Walla. Easy. 🤗
You left off one point on the criteria list that has to do with them leaving FSU out:

5. Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.

Sort of make sense now, doesn't it?

You left off one point on the criteria list that has to do with them leaving FSU out:

5. Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.

I didn't leave it out... it's the last one. Still doesn't overcome the other 3... even such, again, the best 4 aren't in. That would be:
spuat
UGly
UMich
OSU

And if anyone disagrees, we're just injecting more of our own bias. jus' sayin'..

Proves my point. OSU lost to UMich... TX lost to a mediocre Oklahoma team. JMO.

Proves which point exactly?

Texas looked like a better team than Ohio St to me and Ohio St lost to the only good team they played. Texas lost to a pretty good (tho beatable) Oklahoma team but beat Bama in Tuscaloosa.

Reactions: derek_tiger

Texas looked like a better team than Ohio St to me and Ohio St lost to the only good team they played. Texas lost to a pretty good (tho beatable) Oklahoma team but beat Bama in Tuscaloosa.
I used videos from Tombstone and Blazing Saddles in the same thread. Neither have anything to do with what yall are talking about, but I win this thread.

I agree with them leaving FSU out for that reason. Too many folks like to loook at records alone with no other context. But leaving Georgia out, well that’s different. Why? Because it’s different.

Proves the point that we're (you & I in this case) using our biases to determine the Top 4.

Oklahoma lost 2 games and should have lost to UCF. TX won about 4 of their later games by 3 pts and seemed to lose their mojo. I think OSU is better than TX, and only lost to UMich late by 6. I dunno.

We could debate this forever, but this is what I'm talking about when the CFP committee basically used the eye test for the Top 4.

Proves the point that we're (you & I in this case) using our biases to determine the Top 4.

Oklahoma lost 2 games and should have lost to UCF. TX won about 4 of their later games by 3 pts and seemed to lose their mojo. I think OSU is better than TX, and only lost to UMich late by 6. I dunno.

We could debate this forever, but this is what I'm talking about when the CFP committee basically used the eye test for the Top 4.
Even the eye test can have bias. bama has the best win of the bunch, but it came one week after needing a miracle to beat a pretty mediocre Auburn team. I think bama should be in over FSU because of the injury to Travis, but even eye tests can be blind.

Even the eye test can have bias. bama has the best win of the bunch, but it came one week after needing a miracle to beat a pretty mediocre Auburn team. I think bama should be in over FSU because of the injury to Travis, but even eye tests can be blind.
^ This

All of this is just proves the 12 teams PO is the way to go, although #13 will bitch and #5 for not getting a bye but…….it beats the AP, UPI or coaches poll. As the late Bo Schembechler said (I reserve comment out of respect for the dead 😏):
“If there are any Big Ten teams that shoot for a national championship, they're damn fools...You play to win the Big Ten championship, and if you win it and go to the Rose Bowl and win it, then you've had a great season. If they choose to vote you number one, then you're the national champion. But a national champion is a mythical national champion, and I think you guys ought to know that. It's mythical.”

Reactions: GwinnettDawg
All of this is just proves the 12 teams PO is the way to go, although #13 will bitch and #5 for not getting a bye but…….it beats the AP, UPI or coaches poll. As the late Bo Schembechler said (I reserve comment out of respect for the dead 😏):
“If there are any Big Ten teams that shoot for a national championship, they're damn fools...You play to win the Big Ten championship, and if you win it and go to the Rose Bowl and win it, then you've had a great season. If they choose to vote you number one, then you're the national champion. But a national champion is a mythical national champion, and I think you guys ought to know that. and if we have to give ourselves 6 more mythical national championships like we did in 1983, it's like 1941... mythical.”
FIFY. 🤣

12bsmncsx2.jpg

You're wanting some sort of non-biased system that determines the best 4 (now 12) teams. I'd be interested to know what that looks like.

There's always going to be some bias. I do at least attempt to apply logic for my bias. That's the best I can do. You too ftr.

For me, Ohio St never really accomplished anything impressive. They beat MANY bad teams, 2 ok teams and lost to the only good team they faced. IMO that's less impressive than what TX accomplished. Is that bias or an opinion??? Whatever it is, it's how I see it.

You're wanting some sort of non-biased system that determines the best 4 (now 12) teams. I'd be interested to know what that looks like.
There's always going to be some bias. I do at least attempt to apply logic for my bias. That's the best I can do. You too ftr.
For me, Ohio St never really accomplished anything impressive. They beat MANY bad teams, 2 ok teams and lost to the only good team they faced. IMO that's less impressive than what TX accomplished. Is that bias or an opinion??? Whatever it is, it's how I see it.
I'd be interested in what it looks like too...

Part of the reason (I guess) the eye test is so fallible is what's happened to Auburn over the years. Seriously, 1983 was a huge F*ck U middle finger right in the eye (get it?). #'s 1 Neb & 2 TX, lose... #3 Auburn wins over UMich and guess what? They STAY at #3!! HTF does that happen? Eye test, that's how.

In any conceivable situation, when the top 2 teams lose and #3 wins, #3 goes to the top. Miami only beat Neb (on Miami's home field no less) b/c Neb went for 2 and didn't make it. So UM jumps from #5 to #1 and to add a dash of salt in the wound, UNeb STAYS at #2! I assume if Auburn (#1 SOS) had lost that game they would have dropped out of the Top 20 based on this nonsense...

2004 is another example. Auburn in undefeated in the SEC, the Gold Standard of conferences. USCw & Chokelahoma play the NC b/c both had been 1&2 all year. So what? 'Well, we can't have an undefeated team drop below another undefeated team now can we'? Oh wait, we actually can have one undefeated team drop below a team with one loss... oh vell... look the other way'!

The result '04 is what everyone expected, and the 'best 2' were USCw & Auburn. Again, eye test f*cked us over. Eye test almost screwed TCU last year.

The sh*tty part of all of this is the stupid game has to be played on the field. Clearly Auburn has a better team than NMSU... clearly. haha.

Part of the reason (I guess) the eye test is so fallible is what's happened to Auburn over the years. Seriously, 1983 was a huge F*ck U middle finger right in the eye (get it?). #'s 1 Neb & 2 TX, lose... #3 Auburn wins over UMich and guess what? They STAY at #3!! HTF does that happen? Eye test, that's how.

In any conceivable situation, when the top 2 teams lose and #3 wins, #3 goes to the top. Miami only beat Neb (on Miami's home field no less) b/c Neb went for 2 and didn't make it. So UM jumps from #5 to #1 and to add a dash of salt in the wound, UNeb STAYS at #2! I assume if Auburn (#1 SOS) had lost that game they would have dropped out of the Top 20 based on this nonsense...

2004 is another example. Auburn in undefeated in the SEC, the Gold Standard of conferences. USCw & Chokelahoma play the NC b/c both had been 1&2 all year. So what? 'Well, we can't have an undefeated team drop below another undefeated team now can we'? Oh wait, we actually can have one undefeated team drop below a team with one loss... oh vell... look the other way'!

The result '04 is what everyone expected, and the 'best 2' were USCw & Auburn. Again, eye test f*cked us over. Eye test almost screwed TCU last year.

The sh*tty part of all of this is the stupid game has to be played on the field. Clearly Auburn has a better team than NMSU... clearly. haha.

“Eye test almost screwed TCU last year”

That would’ve been a real shame lol.

My question is, where does the line get drawn for where SOS matters?

Reactions: BamaFan1137
“Eye test almost screwed TCU last year”
That would’ve been a real shame lol.
My question is, where does the line get drawn for where SOS matters?
My thinking has always been around removing as much subjectivity as possible... which I believe the CFP guidelines were meant to do. Or, try to do.

When you throw huge mega-million$ for game attendance and TV rights, all those guidelines just get thrown out the window. What's even more maddening is they STILL don't have the best 4 LOL! If you're going to f*ck yourself over CFP, then don't just go halfway... get UGly in here b/c they are certainly better than UW or TX. While we're at it, kick both out for UGly & Ohio State... it simply never ends under these circumstances.

FCS-1A probably does as close as it can be... outside the NFL. 24 teams and off we go... football December 'Madness'.

Actually, this is the most accurate CFP FBS-Div 1 bracket I've seen...

FBS Playoffs 2023.jpg
That’s potentially a lot of games after a 12 game regular season (not including conference championship game), would probably need to go to 11 but FCS teams will play 15 if they make the championship 🤷‍♂️

That’s potentially a lot of games after a 12 game regular season (not including conference championship game), would probably need to go to 11 but FCS teams will play 15 if they make the championship 🤷‍♂️
this is what the FCS Div IIA playoff bracket is... if they can do it so should the big boys

Reactions: Reasoned

Something similar happened to Bama in 1966 (finished 11-0) when Michigan St and Notre Dame tied one another.

BTW, we were mythical national champs in 1964 and 1965 so it ain't like we came out of nowhere. But it kept us from a 3-peat.

Shits tough all over and that system has very little to do with this system.

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
My thinking has always been around removing as much subjectivity as possible... which I believe the CFP guidelines were meant to do. Or, try to do.

This leads to TCU in the playoffs. It's "fair"...but often leads to unwatchable blowouts because one team clearly is less talented/strong/athletic than the others.

For better or for worse, major college football is much different than the NFL, lower level college football and high school.

You can recruit juggernauts in FBS. You can't do that in the NFL and you can't do that in high school. It's possible in lower level college football but it's not terribly feasible due to their scholarship and recruiting budgets. FBS is a different animal.

LOL that bracket was just me screwing around with the format from the FCS bracket... Just started at the top of the rankings and worked down.

Glad to see Auburn got in there... how'd that happen? :rolleyes:🤔

LOL, I didn't even look at which teams were in on your bracket. I meant the idea itself felt DEI-ish.

LOL that bracket was just me screwing around with the format from the FCS bracket... Just started at the top of the rankings and worked down.

Glad to see Auburn got in there... how'd that happen? :rolleyes:🤔
You scoop up the top 24 and even Iowa makes it 🤔 …….. I think I like it! 😊

Can we all agree that the way FBS schools recruit and the number of scholarships that can be offered makes our game VERY different from the NFL, FCS, all other lower-tier college football and high school football leagues operate?

If you answer yes then you can also agree that larger brackets for playoffs aren't the same for FBS football as well. If NFL teams were allowed to "recruit" instead of draft, that would change how meaningful their extended playoff brackets were as well.

I'm not saying that I'm completely against a larger playoff format (more college football sounds great to me) but I do believe that it will impact the regular season negatively.

FFS...Bama lost in week 2. We knew we couldn't lose again the rest of the season if we were going to have any shot whatsoever. And even then, after winning out, getting in wasn't a sure thing. That adds more meaning to the regular season.

And yes, I fully recognize that many teams would have been out regardless after losing in week 2 like we did. Is that fair? I honestly DGAF about fair. If Ole Miss had been dominating college football for the better part of two decades and they lost in week 2, the same standard would have applied.

I see your "fair" and I raise you reality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT