ADVERTISEMENT

North Linn poor sportsmanship & running up score

If they are truly not running up the score or padding stats like some are saying then what is the point in keeping the starters in and risking injury... I get they are varsity and have the right to play but is it gonna be worth a sprained/broken ankle or even worse to beat an inferior team by 50+ and risk a state title so with that said what is the point in all of this because we all know you don’t win a state title by beating your opponents by 50+ repeatedly

Last edited:
Grandview seemed fine at state last year after several 50+ point victories. As stated SEVERAL times in this thread. NL starters are not playing in the 4th quarter as reported by those who have actually seen them play.

Beating people by 50 points may not help you win a state title, but are you telling me that having your players on the bench for half of every game will?

This is a touchy subject, but the bottom line is NL is much more talented than the teams on their schedule. If you look at the scores only, you see "running up the score" To those who have actually watched games, it is clear that NL is backing off, and these scores while bad, could be much, much worse.

Will NL end up winning at title? That I don't know, what I do know is this is a special group of homegrown players, not brought in from all over the globe who have worked very hard and have a great shot at it. I personally enjoy watching the special talent, the rest of the jealousy on this board will no longer take up any of my time.

Their last game:
78-21 after 3. Running clock to start the half. scored 24 more in 3rd.
4th qtr: 19-5 on a running clock.

Decide for yourself if you think racking up 43 more pts when you're up 41 is OK.
It's not jealousy to call out bad behavior.

Reactions: Pinehawk
My sons both played in this conference a few years back so I know North-Linn pretty well. My sons played football, basketball, and baseball against this school. My youngest son told me about this site and his opinion is the same as mine. We decided to go watch them at US Cellular Center when they beat Maqoketa Valley 88-20. They pressed for about 3 minutes of the game and starters were all out inthe middle of the 3rd quarter. Not sure what else people want from them? They scored 88 points and made it look easy, they have 5 shooters that dont miss. At no time watching that game did I feel that they were "running it up or padding stats". In fact you can tell they where taking it easy on them the whole time.

We sat next to some nice North-Linn fans and asked them about all this. They laughed them off and told us they have 18 kids out for basketball and play JV and Varsity on the same night in conference play. Their said their JV is very good too so all 18 kids are playing a lot each night.

Lotta people just looking at scores and drawing their conclusions. I think it's ridiculous to call out a bunch of kids and coaches when you don't know anything about their program. I suggest watch them play live and make judgement. Hilmer is the real deal. Best small school guard I've ever seen live. Most of you didn't realize they play JV on the same nights and one of you thought a team drove here from the state of Wyoming! Pretty easy calling people out behind the anonymity of a message board.

I will be making a trip again soon to watch them play. Their boys and girls teams are amazing and could win state this year.

More so....what I was attempting to suggest is that it's fairly common place to see a few kids get lapped in the 3200M in track. Take a look at the scores and it's not crazy talk to see a number of teams get beat by 30, 40 or even 50+ each week.

Take a look at Edgewood-Colesburg. They just got beat by North Linn 97-26. Horrible right? On the flip side.....Edgewood-Colesburg has won a few games by 50+ this season will probably do it again tomorrow night. Is their coach/players displaying poor sportsmanship as well?

Weak analogy. but kudos for getting a humble brag in ;)

Here's an analogy:
Your football team is up 50 in the 2nd half:
Your team on-side kicks.
Your team leaves the star QB in and he continues to throw long pass plays to the top receiver in order to remain the leading passer in the state.
Your team continues to blitz into the 4th qtr.

Good sportsmanship?

Can BC Moore adjust their predictions so that if a team doesn't win by 70+ points, like the BC Moore says they should, the team doesn't go down in the power rankings I think a lot of teams look at BC Moore site and they try to cover the spread.

Can BC Moore adjust their predictions so that if a team doesn't win by 70+ points, like the BC Moore says they should, the team doesn't go down in the power rankings I think a lot of teams look at BC Moore site and they try to cover the spread.

While I don't disagree with your premise, in this situation, it won't matter. The are #1 in both offense and defense. That says something right there about talent from top to bottom of the roster.

The largest recorded margin of victory in high school boys basketball happened on January 29, 1964. Grand Avenue High School of DeQuincy, LA beat a team from Cameron, LA by the score of 211-29.

According to a number of posters in this thread, if you didn't see the game in person, you can't accuse Grand Avenue of poor sportsmanship or padding the stats.

While I don't disagree with your premise, in this situation, it won't matter. The are #1 in both offense and defense. That says something right there about talent from top to bottom of the roster.
All I am saying is that if there was a cap for a blowout game at say 40 points, then maybe some of these teams that are head and shoulders above their competition will not try to get to the 70, 80, or 90 point spread they need so they won't drop in BC Moore's rankings.

I have to jump in here as I HAVE seen them play...They played at the US Cell Center (no JV game before!) and I watched them get up by 30 and still had their starters in as well as pressing full court.... and the final score was 88-20

I have great respect for the kids as I do know some of them and they are great kids. Hilmer and Miller are 3A level talents playing on a 1A squad...too bad they couldn't have scheduled some better teams to play against.

Just to add to this I do believe they will meet GV in the final..It will be interesting to see how they match up with the "transfer" (thats for another thread! HAHAHA) who's a high level D1 player

Last edited:
All I am saying is that if there was a cap for a blowout game at say 40 points, then maybe some of these teams that are head and shoulders above their competition will not try to get to the 70, 80, or 90 point spread they need so they won't drop in BC Moore's rankings.

After watching them, I do not believe that there is a "magic number". If you have the opportunity watch, they are loose and passing the ball. Their quickness and accuracy just make it hard for 99% of the teams to match-up with them.

Reactions: Bulldog198240
I have to jump in here as I HAVE seen them play...They played at the US Cell Center (no JV game before!) and I watched them get up by 30 and still had their starters in as well as pressing full court.... and the final score was 88-20

I have great respect for the kids as I do know some of them and they are great kids. Hilmer and Miller are 3A level talents playing on a 1A squad...too bad they couldn't have scheduled some better teams to play against.

Just to add to this I do believe they will meet GV in the final..It will be interesting to see how they match up with the "transfer" (thats for another thread! HAHAHA) who's a high level D1 player

I know for a fact the press was pulled off at 20-0 with more than half the 1st quarter still left. I made that comment to the North-Linn fans we were by. Also a fact there starters were pulled midway through 3rd quarter. People are always going to judge, but lets know the facts. I had no problem with what North-Linn did in this game, I thought they were actually very nice by calling off the dogs early. As far as padding the stats, just watch Hilmer play. The fact that he is putting those numbers up in less than 3 quarters every night is pretty amazing

I know for a fact the press was pulled off at 20-0 with more than half the 1st quarter still left. I made that comment to the North-Linn fans we were by. Also a fact there starters were pulled midway through 3rd quarter. People are always going to judge, but lets know the facts. I had no problem with what North-Linn did in this game, I thought they were actually very nice by calling off the dogs early. As far as padding the stats, just watch Hilmer play. The fact that he is putting those numbers up in less than 3 quarters every night is pretty amazing

Sorry oldeman but I WAS sitting courtside and the press was still on the whole 1st and 2nd qtr when they were up by 30.....DO you know what a press is?? Its not necessarily man to man from end line to end line

I also do not necessarily have any issue with this game...and Im not sitting here saying they are or are not padding stats...I could care less...They just have a horrible conference that they play in.

Last edited:
They are going 11 deep now so they did add the extra player to the roster so they have done that. Many moons ago I watched a basketball team whose starting lineup went 6'4", 6'4", 6'3", 6'3", 6'7" and ran a 2-2-1 press as their primary defense and won their state tournament games by 30, 20 and the championship by 35. I watched when they took off a press, watched when and how they substituted during the season, how they could have piled up stats and points and didn't, how they used practice to get and stay in shape, how 6-10 played a ton, heck a couple of the subs went to play college basketball and how much 11-15 and the rotating players from 12-15 got minutes. Maybe if there was a board like this back then they would have been criticized as well. I can say that as a young fan at the time I wanted to see 100 as much as I could, the players probably wanted 100 as well but the hall of fame coach didn't play that way. I know which style I appreciate more.

Is the fact that the level of competition they are playing skewing that they are number 1 in offense and defense? Would they be that if they were playing any of the top 10 teams in 1A or even 2A night in night out?

Sorry oldeman but I WAS sitting courtside and the press was still on the whole 1st and 2nd qtr when they were up by 30.....DO you know what a press is?? Its not necessarily man to man from end line to end line

I also do not necessarily have any issue with this game...and Im not sitting here saying they are or are not padding stats...I could care less...They just have a horrible conference that they play in.

All I know was at 20-0 they didn't pick up MV passed half court. To me that is calling off the press. What they played in the half court I don't remember, but it was all half court defense from that point on.

Regardless, from an opposing fans perspective, they aren't doing anything wrong. They seem like great kids that just love playing the game hard. Wish I saw more kids from our school that played with their passion.

Just because kids aren’t “homegrown” doesn’t mean they are any less talented or didn’t work as hard as a kid that was born and raised in the same district. Often times these players experienced and endured much more than you can imagine to get to the same point. Funny that jealously comes up in the very next sentence though

Grandview seemed fine at state last year after several 50+ point victories. As stated SEVERAL times in this thread. NL starters are not playing in the 4th quarter as reported by those who have actually seen them play.

Beating people by 50 points may not help you win a state title, but are you telling me that having your players on the bench for half of every game will?

This is a touchy subject, but the bottom line is NL is much more talented than the teams on their schedule. If you look at the scores only, you see "running up the score" To those who have actually watched games, it is clear that NL is backing off, and these scores while bad, could be much, much worse.

Will NL end up winning at title? That I don't know, what I do know is this is a special group of homegrown players, not brought in from all over the globe who have worked very hard and have a great shot at it. I personally enjoy watching the special talent, the rest of the jealousy on this board will no longer take up any of my time.

r

Just because kids aren’t “homegrown” doesn’t mean they are any less talented or didn’t work as hard as a kid that was born and raised in the same district. Often times these players experienced and endured much more than you can imagine to get to the same point. Funny that jealously comes up in the very next sentence though

r

Ok I’ll bite on this comment..How does a high level D1 player end up at a small 1A school ? And I really don’t know the story so please fill me in

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Perfect timing Bulldog, looks like Prep Hoops just posted a Prospect Spotlight on him earlier today which answers some of these questions.

Funny how the same small parochial school in Des Moines keeps getting all these "transfers" from the AAU circuit, most from same AAU program?

A few years back I helped with a team that was exceptionally talented. We were a 2a team that played in a predominantly 3a conference. This is how we handled it. We played our starters in 3 or 4 minute spurts together for continuity. Then brought the next 5 in for another 3 minute spurt. Many times players 11-14 got good minutes in the first half. Many times we had running clocks to start the second half. Our top scorer averaged 16/game, second scorer was 12.5, rest of the starters averaged around 9-10. All of these starters and two or three more guys could've averaged 15 + if needed. Many games our starters only played 10-12 minutes. We figured we had better playing time against each other in practice rather then piling up stats against inferior competition and getting bad habits. Our top two guys could've easily scored 20 a game. Probably sacrificed some personal post season recognition for the entirety of the team. Was proud of the way we handled it and I think it was good for all the kids development as young men. I don't know anything about NL, just expressing how we handled it.

Reactions: theocia
No. We played a couple 4a schools and a couple highly rated 3a schools that we had to shorten the rotation. Probably had 14-15 games that were 35+ where we did that.

I appreciate what you are saying, really I do. But once again it's difficult to compare your experience with what NL faced this season, where you are easily 50 points better than every single team on your entire schedule. Where the game is virtually over by the end of the 1st quarter. Where your subs are still better than the other team's starters.

I appreciate what you are saying, really I do. But once again it's difficult to compare your experience with what NL faced this season, where you are easily 50 points better than every single team on your entire schedule. Where the game is virtually over by the end of the 1st quarter. Where your subs are still better than the other team's starters.

If there 11-14 players were getting solid minutes in the first half that team probably had some of the same situations they just handled it differently

Again, not for every game for the entire season. You can't play that way for an entire season and then switch your rotation to a 7-8 man rotation and change your entire style of play once you get to state and play tough competition.

Reactions: APir8Dad
If that's the case then I agree some of that can be ramped down...although the flip side of that is that it's just extremely difficult when kids have been taught that style and have played it in AAU ball and see it on TV in the NBA to put the reigns on it. It's almost like playing a completely different sport if you're used to playing run and gun and then you tell them Ok, now no fast breaks, no 3s, etc. I'm not completely 100% defending it, I'm just saying it's not as easy a solution as some are making it out to be.

You can see some highlights on the Hudl site without a membership:
https://www.hudl.com/team/v2/133984/Boys-Varsity-Basketball

What you'll often see is a team up by 50+ throwing length of the floor passes, releasing a player on rebounds for undefended layups, pushing the pace of the game, taking long three's,......

Decide for yourself.

theocia,
It's obvious you have an agenda to keep attacking North-Linn. Whatever your problem is with them, that is your opinion. Almost 100% of people on here that have watched them or play against them have no problem with how they play. Your constant attacks on their coaches and kids is a reflection on you, not them. It's pretty pathetic in my opinion.

What other option do they have because the way I see it the 100% your talking bout doesn’t think there is anything wrong with it and there is no way of changing it apparently... I watch a 1A team every tursday and Friday and they are pretty good and don’t beat teams by 50+ night after night because they play sophs/fresh in the games and they have some weak opponents some nights but they use there resources if there is a will there is a way don’t tell me there isn’t cuz that’s straight up BS

So according to BC Moore, would NL be favored over GLR & GV by 25 points in a match-up? Just curious.

theocia,
It's obvious you have an agenda to keep attacking North-Linn. Whatever your problem is with them, that is your opinion. Almost 100% of people on here that have watched them or play against them have no problem with how they play. Your constant attacks on their coaches and kids is a reflection on you, not them. It's pretty pathetic in my opinion.
No problem with the kids. Hillmer is flat-out fun to watch & its obvious they've put in the time at the gym because they shoot phenomenally well.

Calling out what, in my opinion, is poor sportsmanship by a coaching staff that seems to enjoy humiliating their opponents (who are also kids). A little more suspect when stat-padding seems to be involved.

I've seen lots of really dominant teams play. Most are just a whole lot better at winning big while still respecting their opponent.
Your opinion may differ. I'm OK with that.

Reactions: Pinehawk
GLR and GV have each played a much more difficult schedule than NL. With that being said, BC Moore doesn't a great job, but even a computer ranking is difficult to determine the score when there is very little over lap of competition when comparing three teams all located in different regions of the state.

So according to BC Moore, would NL be favored over GLR & GV by 25 points in a match-up? Just curious.

Wow! If you base your opinion off of watching a 2 minute highlight reel, one can understand why NL looks bad. The one that I watched was all offense by NL, run and gun every play!

* Note to self, games are a lot longer than 2 minutes or in this case, 1 minute and 41 seconds of Lynx HIGHLIGHTS!!

(I throw this out there knowing that it will offend a poster or two and therefore will not respond to comments regarding this.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT