ADVERTISEMENT

interesting stat

If those five were there every year, then you'd really wonder but I think that three of them are just having a really good year, and normally are less competitive. Western is Western and PC has a major star player. The Dutch people from the Netherlands are the tallest nationality among Caucasian people. Source: I Googled it. The average height of a Dutch male is six foot.

Reactions: iowalongs230
That's not as abnormal as you would think OP.

But yes nobody wants to see Western at State. I agree. :)

I would have them play up a class. If they don't like it they are welcome to have their own tournament.

If they win the state title 3 times in a 10 year span they move up two classes for five years.

Same goes for football.

Well since Grand View Christian School was 0-9 in football, maybe they should have to move down a class.

Does this success penalty only apply to private schools?

Reactions: JustCourtney
Well since Grand View Christian School was 0-9 in football, maybe they should have to move down a class.

Does this success penalty only apply to private schools?
Yes. Public schools play the hand they are dealt. Private schools are shopping for the deck they will use.

Yes. Public schools play the hand they are dealt. Private schools are shopping for the deck they will use.
Seriously? Sioux Center Public gets 2 kids who went to Sioux Center Christian and no one bats an eye. Billings transfers to Sioux City East to play with a better team. Spirit Lake gets curious 'transfers/move-ins' all the time, and you're telling me they play with the hand they're dealt?

Seriously? Sioux Center Public gets 2 kids who went to Sioux Center Christian and no one bats an eye. Billings transfers to Sioux City East to play with a better team. Spirit Lake gets curious 'transfers/move-ins' all the time, and you're telling me they play with the hand they're dealt?
Open enrollment has become recruiting for everyone.

Reactions: Pinehawk
How can Grandview win a state championship with their school only being in existence since 2014? Don't tell me they have a good feeder program!!! All provocial schools should move up a class in playoffs like Illinois does. Provocial schools get to play the same game with different rules.

Reactions: vanwyhe
How can Grandview win a state championship with their school only being in existence since 2014? Don't tell me they have a good feeder program!!! All provocial schools should move up a class in playoffs like Illinois does. Provocial schools get to play the same game with different rules.
Who provoked you to make that post?

Technically Grand View Christian School began in 2014, but it was due to a restructuring of a school already in existence, Grandview Park Baptist School, that opened in the 70s. They started playing public schools in sports in 1991 and were 1-19. They reached the substate final two times but fell short until last year which was their first appearance at state. So it took them 25 years to make state.

I wonder how many free and reduced
lunches the private schools have???...Private schools are a group of selective students, athletes, etc and for those that want to deny it is just ignorance....They are nothing more than magnet schools for the select and this transfers to sports....it will only continue to get worse as more parents and kids continue to put more emphasis on sports....it may also be that way for academics but no is winning "state titles" in academics for all to see and critique...as I've said in other posts, if you are a private school in a city then you should have to play in the highest class or in the class of the local public schools..

Weird how the private schools dominate the lower classes, but not 4A...

I wonder if there is more to it.

;)
There is only one private school in 4-A..Dowling. 4 in 3-A..They dominate 3-A and 2-A.
3-A Assumption, Xavier, Heelan, Wahlert
2-A Western Christain, Pella Christain, Kuemper Cath etc etc.

A lot of private schools in this state are doing a really bad job of this whole "dominating athletics" thing, especially if you take all sports into consideration rather than just picking and choosing based on success in one sport. There are only a very select few private schools who are consistently successful in multiple sports.

Private schools are a group of selective students, athletes, etc and for those that want to deny it is just ignorance....They are nothing more than magnet schools for the select
Try telling that to my Dad who got up every morning at 4:00 AM to go feed and milk the cows before working a full day at the local factory only to come home and again feed and milk the cows. He did all that so my siblings and myself could get a Christian based education. There was nothing "select" about me or my family. None of us were great athletes, or even all that great of students honestly. We were a working class family whose parents wanted to make sure we had a Christian education and sacrificed a lot to make it happen. I wasn't alone in this either. Many of my classmates came from similar situations. It was not just a bunch of rich kids as you want to believe. But please tell me more about my ignorance.

I wonder how many free and reduced
lunches the private schools have???..Private schools are a group of selective students, athletes, etc and for those that want to deny it is just ignorance....They are nothing more than magnet schools for the select and this transfers to sports....it will only continue to get worse as more parents and kids continue to put more emphasis on sports....it may also be that way for academics but no is winning "state titles" in academics for all to see and critique...as I've said in other posts, if you are a private school in a city then you should have to play in the highest class or in the class of the local public schools.

I'm incredibly confused by your logic here? Since every landowner in the state pays local and state property tax in which in part goes towards the local public school districts and overall state education fund, private schools shouldn't have access to the National Hot Lunch Program???

Here is a description of who can be enrolled into this program:

Public and private nonprofit schools are eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program. Also eligible are public and private nonprofit licensed residential child care institutions

Western Christian dropped the National Hot Lunch Program this last fall due to insufficiently meeting the dietary needs of their students. Yes, any school can drop this program as well. So please don't make uneducated claims without having any form logical evidence or knowledge...

Please don't tread on private high schools by saying they are only there for sports? If this was all about sports, there would be 100 "IMG Academy's" instead of 100+ Christian, Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, etc high schools thoughout the state.

In my personal opinion, I truely don't believe there are any "IMG Academy's" as far as it comes to private schools in this state. I'm also aware of many public schools utilizing open enrollment. We could probably argue for hours about this and that. At the end of the day, success in high school sports is done by hard work and dedication by the athletes; proper guidance and encouragement by parents, coaches, and teachers; and the culture of the surrounding community...

I'm incredibly confused by your logic here? Since every landowner in the state pays local and state property tax in which in part goes towards the local public school districts and overall state education fund, private schools shouldn't have access to the National Hot Lunch Program???

Here is a description of who can be enrolled into this program:

Public and private nonprofit schools are eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program. Also eligible are public and private nonprofit licensed residential child care institutions

Western Christian dropped the National Hot Lunch Program this last fall due to insufficiently meeting the dietary needs of their students. Yes, any school can drop this program as well. So please don't make uneducated claims without having any form logical evidence or knowledge...

Please don't tread on private high schools by saying they are only there for sports? If this was all about sports, there would be 100 "IMG Academy's" instead of 100+ Christian, Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, etc high schools thoughout the state.

In my personal opinion, I truely don't believe there are any "IMG Academy's" as far as it comes to private schools in this state. I'm also aware of many public schools utilizing open enrollment. We could probably argue for hours about this and that. At the end of the day, success in high school sports is done by hard work and dedication by the athletes; proper guidance and encouragement by parents, coaches, and teachers; and the culture of the surrounding community...
You missed the entire point but of course most private school supporters do...I never said they shouldn't have access to free and reduced lunch I personally thought they did...I said how many students do they have on it...it's about demographics and the student body make up and how it translates to sports and academics....

Last edited:
Try telling that to my Dad who got up every morning at 4:00 AM to go feed and milk the cows before working a full day at the local factory only to come home and again feed and milk the cows. He did all that so my siblings and myself could get a Christian based education. There was nothing "select" about me or my family. None of us were great athletes, or even all that great of students honestly. We were a working class family whose parents wanted to make sure we had a Christian education and sacrificed a lot to make it happen. I wasn't alone in this either. Many of my classmates came from similar situations. It was not just a bunch of rich kids as you want to believe. But please tell me more about my ignorance.

I didn't say this applied to every student ....and I applaud your parents.

I'm torn on this subject. When my alma mater broke through for their first state championship, it was against a private school from one of the bigger metros that seemingly had their number. It was a nice send off to have them not only win the championship but do it against that school.

Having said that, a small private school in a big city does have an advantage over a small public open enrollment. An IC Regina, Ankeny Christian, Grand View Christian, Des Moines Christian, etc. will have an easier time getting kids to their school then a 1A public or even 2A public just because of their city's size.

Let's face it, how exactly is open enrollment going to enhance relatively rural schools like a Murray, East Union-Afton, Diaganol, Sigourney, etc. It's not like there are a lot of students in their areas to open enroll from. And there is very little in the way of family transitions / moving to those types of areas for jobs or life changes.

Those communities are considered fortunate if the stars align and a group of athletes come together for a few grades.

Ahh, thank you.
I'm torn on this subject. When my alma mater broke through for their first state championship, it was against a private school from one of the bigger metros that seemingly had their number. It was a nice send off to have them not only win the championship but do it against that school.

Having said that, a small private school in a big city does have an advantage over a small public open enrollment. An IC Regina, Ankeny Christian, Grand View Christian, Des Moines Christian, etc. will have an easier time getting kids to their school then a 1A public or even 2A public just because of their city's size.

Let's face it, how exactly is open enrollment going to enhance relatively rural schools like a Murray, East Union-Afton, Diaganol, Sigourney, etc. It's not like there are a lot of students in their areas to open enroll from. And there is very little in the way of family transitions / moving to those types of areas for jobs or life changes.

Those communities are considered fortunate if the stars align and a group of athletes come together for a few grades.
You hit the nail on the head!

Reactions: dd94

Fair point

We can go with the standard 'show me another system that works better' there are more kids on reduced lunch that you think. Why are private schools in metro areas not huge schools? Is it because there are great public schools in those cities where you can go for free? Why haven't you seen an explosion of enrollment at Regina? If it is all for football then people should be lining up to go to school there. Let me know how these things work.

Reactions: Wolfpack2008
A lot of you guys are missing the point. It's not all because of recruiting (in some cases, like Xavier, recruiting did A TON but that's not all it is). You have to look at the demographics of a public school vs. the demographics of a private school. Private schools don't have to take every student in. Special ed/foreign exchange/ kids with no money to play sports drive up the numbers for public schools. That is the precise reason private schools are so dominant. They just have a much higher percentage of kids to play sports (and the advantage of being able to recruit without even being sneaky about it doesn't hurt, obviously).

The fact that some private schools are bad at some sports is anecdotal evidence. You have to look at the whole picture.

I've said this a lot, but to me, I don't understand why players/fans of schools like Regina/Xavier/Wahlert wouldn't WANT to move up a class. What is the fun in a bunch of Cedar Rapids/Iowa City/Dubuque kids coming together to form a super team at a private school if you aren't even going to play your old schools (or at least reasonable sized schools in Regina's case) in the postseason? It definitely doesn't make you a better player to be knocking around small-town kids during the postseason.

The fact that some private schools are good at sports is also anecdotal evidence.

I personally have no problem with adding a multiplier like in Illinois. Just keep in mind that even if that had happened this year, Grand View Christian would still be in 1-A as their enrollment for 2016-2017 season was 80, in the bottom half of schools in 1-A.

Put it this way. Take a good 3A team like Pella (public school not Pella Christian). Now, go in and take out enough other kids that the vast majority of the school is athletes. (I don't know the exact number on this, but it is something like a 33% increase for privates over publics) Now, go ahead and bump them down a class or two and tell me how many state titles they are going to win over the next 10 years in each sport.

The fact that some private schools are good at sports is also anecdotal evidence.

I personally have no problem with adding a multiplier like in Illinois. Just keep in mind that even if that had happened this year, Grand View Christian would still be in 1-A as their enrollment for 2016-2017 season was 80, in the bottom half of schools in 1-A.

No it is not. On average, the private schools have way more kids that can go out for sports and on average, private schools are better athletically than public schools...by a lot.

A good sized multiplier won't even bump some schools up. If you are a private school on the bottom edge of 3A, you won't be going all the way up to the 4A line.

But please show me statistics, hard data, that prove that as a whole private schools are better at athletics all around.

There's no denying there are advantages in certain cases. But the questions are 1) Is there a problem? 2) How significant is the problem? 3) What can/should be done about it?

Also, remember that the only scholarships available at most private schools are need-based scholarships. So it's not like athletes are getting athletic scholarships, and it's not like it's only rich kids who attend those schools.

Not to belabor the point, but should these schools have to move up an entire class?
  • Waterloo Christian, 0-22
  • Hull Trinity, 2-19
  • Heartland Christian, 2-17
  • Cedar Valley Christian, 5-17
  • Iowa Christian Academy, 9-13
  • Ft. Madison Trinity, 10-12
  • Storm Lake St. Mary's, 12-10
Or again GVC in football, 0-9 last year.

Put it this way. Take a good 3A team like Pella (public school not Pella Christian). Now, go in and take out enough other kids that the vast majority of the school is athletes. (I don't know the exact number on this, but it is something like a 33% increase for privates over publics) Now, go ahead and bump them down a class or two and tell me how many state titles they are going to win over the next 10 years in each sport.
The number of athletic spots is the same (or pretty close anyway) no matter what size the school is. A varsity basketball team will carry, what, 15 players or so? A baseball team will have a similar number regardless if it's 2A or 4A, right? So, wouldn't you expect a smaller school to have a higher percentage of athletes?

Because Pella has more potential players from which to choose, wouldn't you expect that they'd dominate smaller schools.

In my experience, it's those that may not make the team or may play fewer minutes that are more likely to try a different school, and that's not necessarily a public to private transfer thing. What about ADM and Van Meter in basketball?

I didn't say this applied to every student
You certainly implied it. Not much wriggle room once you pronounce something as "nothing more".

I will admit that the demographics of most private schools are different then many publics. That doesn't mean they don't have free and reduced lunch students or special needs kids, I can guarantee you they do. It may be a smaller percentage than some public schools though. The idea that they are turning kids away who fall into those categories as neverreads suggests is just asinine though. Once people start making claims that have no basis in reality it is hard to have an actual discussion.

Let's not act like this is just a private school problem though. Let's look at the percentage of kids eligible for free and reduced lunches in some 3A schools for example. You have DCG at 16%, Pella at 16%, Gilbert all the way down at 5%, probably lower than some private schools. Then you have Perry at 59% and Storm Lake all the way at 70%. So there is a pretty huge disparity among public schools as well. Where is the outrage about their advantages.

I have always said I am willing to have this conversation, but only if we look at the whole picture. If you are really concerned about actual equality among schools when it comes to sports you must be concerned about the huge disparities found in both private and public schools. Even if you do separate out private schools there will still be a handful of public schools who have significantly more success than the others. Some schools will always have advantages over others. How long before complaints start getting lobbied against them?

Here is where I got my info: https://www.educateiowa.gov/documen...chool-k-12-students-eligible-free-and-reduced

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT