ADVERTISEMENT

interesting stat

No. He is not a transfer. His brother? Yes, he is considered a transfer. But when a student enrolls as a freshman, before high school starts, then that student is not a transfer. In order to be a transfer one has to attend one high school and then transfer to another. I'm not niave enough to believe transfers don't happen because of athletics, however, in this instance he did not transfer.
Hahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha.....whatever!...he came for basketball...split hairs but same result

If 100% of iowa schools have no boundaries than what is considered "open enrolling" if not from your school districts boundaries to another?

Illinois has a different boundary system with hard boundaries. Open enrollment isn't allowed.

I just read where a Benton Community girls player just open enrolled to Marion !
That is an example of a transfer.
Serious question for you-what are your thoughts on foreign exchange students enrolling to play ball? We seem to be hearing more and more about that these days, for example, Mt. Pleasant had an Australian on their team this year. Is it ok for a student from another country to come in and play ball but not for a student to change districts because of athletics? Just curious as to what you think about that, thanks

That is an example of a transfer.
Serious question for you-what are your thoughts on foreign exchange students enrolling to play ball? We seem to be hearing more and more about that these days, for example, Mt. Pleasant had an Australian on their team this year. Is it ok for a student from another country to come in and play ball but not for a student to change districts because of athletics? Just curious as to what you think about that, thanks
Honestly I don't have a problem with any of it....what I do have a problem with is the parochial schools that are in large metro areas with a population they can pull from within a 10 mile radius and then playing in lower divisions ...ie Xavier, Bishop Heelan , Wahlert, Regina...etc...those are the distinct advantages that I see that they have over other 3A/2A schools. I have always said those schools should have to play in the class that the local public school is playing in.

Home-schoolers can participate in extra curricular activities @ private schools as well (if board OK's). Some do, some don't
Several if not all private schools in Des Moines are not allowing new home school athletes any longer to participate in their sports programs without taking part time classes...I know one school requires 8 hrs/wk minimum class time to participate...some of the schools have had several home shoolers playing on their teams...and without home schoolers playing they would not be able to field a team in some sports...those same home schoolers are playing for the local public school in sports that are not offered by the private school and playing varsity level at both public and private, and different sports per place...

Illinois has a different boundary system with hard boundaries. Open enrollment isn't allowed.
But Iowa isn't boundary-less. Maybe I don't understand your post -oh well.

Until the State decides to do anything about anything, we have a message board to sound off on.

:)

Are you referring to the article that someone posted in this thread? Written by a Xavier student for the Xavier newspaper that is 2 years old. Techau is the only kid who is a 'transfer' who played this year. While his transfer was mainly for basketball, the others who enrolled had quotes taken out of context. Mims is not a transfer, he enrolled when he was a freshmen. Berger played for them last year came up through the school system. Joens, an all state player, came up through the school system. A few others moved in from out of town and since Xavier is a Catholic school, perhaps their faith played a role in their decision. I know we want to think it always revolves around athletics, but it is possible to pick a school based on academics or faith.
I find it fascinating that so much time and energy have been put into this discussion about a topic no one has really any control over. I attended a private school and we always heard the same argument, but what people fail to realize is the majority of the time there is more to the decision than athletics.
Oh, so the media is fake news even in HS - good to know. ;)

Oh, so the media is fake news even in HS - good to know. ;)
I wouldn't say it is fake news but the article was taken out of context and when a high school article from two years ago is your only source for a discussion, then your point is pretty light on proof and heavy on opinion. This whole thing started because people keep referring to Mims as a transfer and that is simply not the case. I understand kids transfer from private to public, public to private and public to public. And yes, I am sure basketball had something to do with him enrolling, given the situation at Prairie at the time. However, Coach Rick is is doing a heck of a job at Prairie, he has the program going in the right direction.

Iowa is boundary less in that you can open enroll to any public school without question as long as you submit by the dead line and willing to sit out of varsity sports for 90 days.

OR

If you want to do it mid year you have to apply to the school boards to get approved but would have to sit 90 days.(some exceptions on the 90 day rule if willing to use them for reason of open enrollment)

OR

If you miss the dead line or don't want to sit out you must move into the new district with at least 1 parent or guardian. (the one most likely abused).

OR

You make the dead line for next fall, but switch right away to get the 90 days out of the way.

I'm pretty sure this is how it works for public to public not sure when you add private in the mix since you can't move into the district.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinehawk
I wouldn't say it is fake news but the article was taken out of context and when a high school article from two years ago is your only source for a discussion, then your point is pretty light on proof and heavy on opinion. This whole thing started because people keep referring to Mims as a transfer and that is simply not the case. I understand kids transfer from private to public, public to private and public to public. And yes, I am sure basketball had something to do with him enrolling, given the situation at Prairie at the time. However, Coach Rick is is doing a heck of a job at Prairie, he has the program going in the right direction.
"Taken out of context" is pertinent to which side of the fence you stand on.

Did Mims transfer from CRP to Xavier? Yes or No? I am sure you will try to spin it to be "more than basketball" - probably he suddenly had a calling to serve and be in a spiritual setting for school...

Reactions: Bulldog198240
Iowa is boundary less in that you can open enroll to any public school without question as long as you submit by the dead line and willing to sit out of varsity sports for 90 days.

OR

If you want to do it mid year you have to apply to the school boards to get approved but would have to sit 90 days.(some exceptions on the 90 day rule if willing to use them for reason of open enrollment)

OR

If you miss the dead line or don't want to sit out you must move into the new district with at least 1 parent or guardian. (the one most likely abused).

OR

You make the dead line for next fall, but switch right away to get the 90 days out of the way.

I'm pretty sure this is how it works for public to public not sure when you add private in the mix since you can't move into the district.

If Iowa is "boundaryless" then why the need to file for open enrollment? What are you open enrolling from if not a "boundary"? If no boundaries then why has Iowa City changed the "boundaryless" lines multiple times in the past few years?

If Iowa is "boundaryless" then why the need to file for open enrollment? What are you open enrolling from if not a "boundary"? If no boundaries then why has Iowa City changed the "boundaryless" lines multiple times in the past few years?

They could be referred to as 'soft boundaries' if that helps with the process.

Sort/hard the question of boundaries seems to me to be school district specific. In Dubuque a few years back, all of the public school basketball talent other than the Duax boys was open enrolling going to Senior. Several of the players on that series of strong Senior teams were, in fact, from the Hempstead area (Seniors's N. Carter is currently, I believe). Anyway, new superintendent came in and open enrollment become much harder to do. (Some say it was his call; others say it came from Des Moines as much of Eastern Iowa is on the edge of Federal discrimination suits). So at least in DBQ it became harder to open enroll within the past few years. Now, no clue what it would be like to go from DBQ to say Independence.

Did Mims transfer from CRP to Xavier? Yes or No? I am sure you will try to spin it to be "more than basketball" - probably he suddenly had a calling to serve and be in a spiritual setting for school...
No. Mims did not transfer. When a freshman enrolls in a high school that is not transferring. In order to be a transfer one has to enroll in one high school and then transfer to another. Since he never enrolled at Prairie High School, he could never transfer from Prairie High School. I am not sure why this is such a difficult concept to understand.
When he did enroll, Xavier was not exactly a basketball powerhouse. First state tournament appearance 3 years ago was 7 or 8 years removed from the last one. If you look at that roster with McDermott, Winker, and Ramlo-all kids from the Catholic system and Michael Mims, yes, a transfer. The current success has been helped by Matt Mims, NOT a transfer, Techau who WAS a transfer, and the rest of the players are all from the Catholic school system.
I am assuming you don't know Matt. I have met him a few times and he is a top notch kid with deep rooted faith. Would it surprise you to know that he is now a Catholic and his faith did have something to do with him enrolling at Xavier? Or is it too far of a stretch to understand that athletics is not always the sole motivator for a student to enroll in a Catholic school? I am not going say that athletics did not play into his decision but I can guarantee there was a lot more than athletics when he made his decision.

Mims chose to go to Xavier as a freshman, like many kids who choose a HS to attend after middle school. He is not a transfer. Many more kids change from a parochial school in middle school to a public in HS than vice versa...paying tuition is not for everybody. Mims decision to attend Xavier appears to have worked out well for him. He has won two state titles as a member of the basketball team, earned 1st Team All State Honors as a junior, and is on track to be a scholarship basketball player in college. Who can fault him for choosing his own path and making the most of it? Techau was barely playing at one of the best 4A basketball programs in the state and elected to "transfer" for an opportunity to get more minutes and still compete in arguably the best basketball conference in the state. I think that "transferring" appears to have been a good decision for him as he thrived at Xavier as well. None of this would even be an issue if Xavier hadn't just won back to back basketball titles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT