ADVERTISEMENT

Dowling Valley Final?

Urbandale has talent on that team, a LB with an Iowa offer, probably the fastest kid in the state at RB, and a QB that will be a D1 pitcher, more D1 athletes than most of the other 4A teams
I am asking Gator Bait, what went wrong for Centennial that they would lose to Urbandale can in the playoffs when he stated Centennial beat them by 20pts can in the regular season. Was it injuries, what was his expert opinion

You're killing me Smalls, with this long post. Jeesh.

Lol thank you and props for the Sandlot reference, and I will take that as a compliment as smalls is the smartest of the bunch (except when it comes to priceless antiques and making smores) and has a knack for creating pickles.

Was just trying to add some nuance and contribute some inside knowledge from my experience going to and playing for the aforementioned school, but I'm in higher education now and it's my job to try and consider various perspectives/sometimes get into long-winded discussions, but also make sound decisions with the best available information.

Anywho, I am making a new model of PF Flyers if anyone is interested....

Since 2000, 3 schools from the East have won a title (Bettendorf 2x, Xavier, and City High) and 3 from the West have won a title (Dowling 9x, Valley 5x, and Ankeny) and chalk another one up to Valley or Dowling this year as well.
Talk about a semifinal curse, Bett has made the semifinals 6 of the last 7 years only to not reach the finals...at the hands of a different culprit each time.

When you can comprehend that injuries are part of the game than we can really talk. Go back and defend Dowling, who won a title game by less than a score. I'm not crying about it Dowling won. You can live your life assuming all you want, I on the other hand learned years ago not to assume anything.

You brought up Centennial beat Urbandale by 20pts. Not me I'm asking you directly how did Urbandale beat Centennial in the playoffs? You seem to use injuries as mirror instead of giving the other team credit.

Do tell me how did Centennial be lose to the 13 seeded team this year?

You just make blanket statements. Of course injuries are apart of the game. Who said they weren't? What we can do as humans is assess the severity the injury has on a specific team. All injuries aren't created equal. Murray being out in the title game last year had an impact on Dowling's offense. What you stated about CF in the game against Ankeny had an impact on them as well. I am guessing if CF didn't have all those injuries they would have widen their lead on Ankeny. I acknowledge both sides, you are the one who doesn't.

Urbandale beat Ankeny because on any given night in the Metro a team can be beat. I believe another person outlined Urbandale's strengths very well. Mix that in with Urbandale being familiar with Ankeny and you have a recipe to create an upset. I've said it numerous times, Dowling and Valley are in a league of their own this year, but Waukee, SEP, Urbandale, Centennial, and Ankeny could beat each other on any given night as they are all quality team. Throw in Johnston on a good night too.

You just make blanket statements. Of course injuries are apart of the game. Who said they weren't? What we can do as humans is assess the severity the injury has on a specific team. All injuries aren't created equal. Murray being out in the title game last year had an impact on Dowling's offense. What you stated about CF in the game against Ankeny had an impact on them as well. I am guessing if CF didn't have all those injuries they would have widen their lead on Ankeny. I acknowledge both sides, you are the one who doesn't.

Urbandale beat Ankeny because on any given night in the Metro a team can be beat. I believe another person outlined Urbandale's strengths very well. Mix that in with Urbandale being familiar with Ankeny and you have a recipe to create an upset. I've said it numerous times, Dowling and Valley are in a league of their own this year, but Waukee, SEP, Urbandale, Centennial, and Ankeny could beat each other on any given night as they are all quality team. Throw in Johnston on a good night too.
No I dont use injuries as a after the fact when it comes to the result of the game. You can assume and speculate all you want, what would have or could have been.

Here is an example for you. 2005 CF top Runningback is suspended for two games. The backup comes in rushed for 225yds and 4tds. In a 49-14 Victory.

Had they lost that game people could have point out the the suspension of a guy that had over 1800 yds probably cost them game.

Great Programs don't use injuries as an excuse for losing, let alone trying to defend why they barely beat an opponent.

So Centennial didn't have key players out not only for West, but the 2nd time around with Urbandale? I would guess Urbandale was the better team around the 2nd time.

And basically you are trying to really press a point on two games for whatever reason in a logic that does not make sense. So tell me what should have been the Score of the Dowling/CF game? What should have been the score of the Centennial/ West game? Had all the pieces been there for both teams?

Last edited:
Here I my thought if Valley wins 35-21 and Gavin Williams gets injured in the 1st half and doesn't play the rest of the game.

Valleys win will have been a fluke for the fact that Dowlings top Runningback couldn't finished the game, cause if he could Dowling would have won by more than two touchdowns.

Here's a thought Dowling wings 21-17 with the same thing occuring, so according to most people logic Dowling should have one by two TDs, instead be of saying Valley was right there with Dowling and Could have won the game.

I never heard so much crap about what the score should have been instead of what it was.
I didn't set there and try to explain why Cedar Falls barely beat a team in Ankeny, which you consider to be in the top four behind Valley/Dowling.

I almost guarantee you Tom Wilson and Jerry Pazzetti are not making excuses or even speculating what the scores of those two games would have been had everyone been healthy.

You should follow the act of those two coaches

Last edited:
I think it boils down to we have fundamental difference on injuries and if they impact the game. That's fine. But, never once did I say how many points were correlated to a specific player being out. Murray wasn't even close to 100% for the CF. I believe that had an impact on the game. Do I believe it was a 40 point impact? A 1 point impact? I don't believe either. All I know is a player for Dowling was out who account for 2,000ish yards and close to 30 TDs. In MY eyes....that's a big blow to a team.

I have absolutely no idea on what a score would be if all parties were healthy.

I feel like you have to be trolling now, because no one can be this dense. Injuries have an impact on every sport. Whether you want to believe that or not is up to you.

What I believe is happening is you really love CF. You know last year they had a legit shot to beat Dowling. They didn't. You see people commenting that Dowling's best player was out of the game. This makes you mad because you feel that these comments slight CF's game against Dowling. My comments aren't intended to slight CF. They are made because they are factual (Murray was indeed hurt) and my opinion is a guy like Murray not playing had an impact on the game (due to his stats relative to the rest of the Dowling players). I never once said how many yards/points he would have accounted for...if any.

It seems like we are going around in circles. I believe injuries have an impact on the game, but, I don't believe it should be used as an "excuse", and I also have no clue on what the score would be if certain players would play/not play.

I think it boils down to we have fundamental difference on injuries and if they impact the game. That's fine. But, never once did I say how many points were correlated to a specific player being out. Murray wasn't even close to 100% for the CF. I believe that had an impact on the game. Do I believe it was a 40 point impact? A 1 point impact? I don't believe either. All I know is a player for Dowling was out who account for 2,000ish yards and close to 30 TDs. In MY eyes....that's a big blow to a team.

I have absolutely no idea on what a score would be if all parties were healthy.

I feel like you have to be trolling now, because no one can be this dense. Injuries have an impact on every sport. Whether you want to believe that or not is up to you.

What I believe is happening is you really love CF. You know last year they had a legit shot to beat Dowling. They didn't. You see people commenting that Dowling's best player was out of the game. This makes you mad because you feel that these comments slight CF's game against Dowling. My comments aren't intended to slight CF. They are made because they are factual (Murray was indeed hurt) and my opinion is a guy like Murray not playing had an impact on the game (due to his stats relative to the rest of the Dowling players). I never once said how many yards/points he would have accounted for...if any.

It seems like we are going around in circles. I believe injuries have an impact on the game, but, I don't believe it should be used as an "excuse", and I also have no clue on what the score would be if certain players would play/not play.
It comes down to you just don't know what your talking about, if he would have impacted the game the score would have been different, you are the only one arguing this point. He got knocked out of the game, that is football. If you cannot understand that, then I don't know what to tell you Dowling 22-16. Maybe we should take the 3fg of the scoreboard that CF kicked instead of scoring Touchdowns. You are the only one going down the path that makes the least sense.

It is the other way around, you are the one saying one person knocked out of the game had a major impact. I'm the one saying it doesn't matter the game is over Dowling won 22-16. I've accepted that and moved on. You have not as you keep coming back to an injury abd what might have been

That’s okay, Murray did play in the semifinal Bett game and except for a long KO return at the beginning of the second half, he was kept in check...which is more than can be said for the homer officials.

Reactions: franky1967
That’s okay, Murray did play in the semifinal Bett game and except for a long KO return at the beginning of the second half, he was kept in check...which is more than can be said for the homer officials.
I'm sure Bettendorf had some key players that were not 100% during that game. I don't see you using that as a excuse to why Bettendorf didn't win.

Imagine what the score would have been if Murray did not play at all. We wouldn't have had the non TD catch in the endzone by Dowling and Bettendorf would have been playing in the state championship game.

Thanks Reasoning for not blaming Bettendorf or Dowling for key injuries that would have altered the outcome of the game after the game was already over

Reactions: Reasoned
Question? There isn't a question. Simply pointing out that the West has just as many unique champions as the East does. They each have 3.

Catch up then, that's what I said. The east and west are even. Everyone in the group listed earlier is evenly below Dowling and to a lesser degree Valley.

Reactions: franky1967
Lol thank you and props for the Sandlot reference, and I will take that as a compliment as smalls is the smartest of the bunch (except when it comes to priceless antiques and making smores) and has a knack for creating pickles.

Was just trying to add some nuance and contribute some inside knowledge from my experience going to and playing for the aforementioned school, but I'm in higher education now and it's my job to try and consider various perspectives/sometimes get into long-winded discussions, but also make sound decisions with the best available information.

Anywho, I am making a new model of PF Flyers if anyone is interested....

I read it, but needed a sherpa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT