ADVERTISEMENT

Class 2A state predictions

Regina vs Western Christian for the title.......in the semifinal round.

In the actual Finals it's probably gonna be Western vs Treynor.

Western has a really tough path to the finals.
North Linn, and then Regina. Both teams that will be difficult matchups.

Tough to throw a junk defense at Western's 6'2" Veerbeek (Jr, commit to Nebraska).
She's comfortable bringing the ball up the floor and plays well outside the lane.
If their shooting well and control the ball, they are tough to beat.

Heck of a game last night between Western and North Linn. Between those two and Regina, that top half of the bracket might have had the 3 best teams. Thursday's game is probably the defacto championship. Should be a great battle with Western and Regina. Lot of talent on the floor

Western did a nice job of limiting turnovers, a key for them.
Regina will be tough task for them.
Having played top 3A teams Sioux Center & Cherokee (2X) who play constant full court pressure should help them be prepared for Thurs.
No easy outs in the final 4.

What a performance yesterday by Western. They were firing on all cylinders. I don't know if Treynor can hang with them in the finals, the championship game might have been played in the first round with North Linn

Agree. Western was dominant yesterday. Other than #34, Regina was intimidated to go in the paint. Western did a great job of breaking the press & held leading scorer Crompton to 5 pts (0-13 from the field). Regina looked like a team that's never been behind and panicked.

Opposing student sections had a great time with each other. (A lot of mutual respect carried over from football. Regina players were a class act in the dome when they won and when they lost)

Cascade had a mini-meltdown to blow a big lead in the 4th qtr.

P.S. Glad that Sioux Center and Poky are 3A. That championship game is going to be a classic!

Regina beat Cascade in Jan 14th 78-57 & got rolled by Western. that being said - it doesn't look good for Treynor. They will need to limit Veerbeek's touches, have TO success with their press & Western will have to have a very off night shooting. Western will be champions 17 & 18.

Sure look like Treynor belong in the championship game to me they did everything they needed to do to win but wow that call was bad. So sad when this stuff happens in big games at all levels

Sure look like Treynor belong in the championship game to me they did everything they needed to do to win but wow that call was bad. So sad when this stuff happens in big games at all levels
Personally I would've rather seen a no call there but I watched several times on TV and the Western players feet were set so i thought the player control foul call was fine. Could've gone either way so no call was probably better. Feel bad for Treynor though. Tough way to lose.

How about the waving off the two baskets that Treynor scored after being whistled for traveling? Counting the final controversy, that's six points taken off the board. Unbiased spectator, but I think Treynor deserved better. Overtime would have been a better way to settle it.

Refs took that game away from Treynor. Couldn't believe they made that call.

Was at the game & initially thought, "we got away with that one."
Local sports reporter has the frame by frame photos posted and the defender clearly was planted and vertical before any contact happened.
No call would have been acceptable too, IMO.

Treynor had a great game plan to bottle up our 2 scorers and take their chances with the others. It almost paid off.
For as good as Veerbeek looked in the first 2 games, that how bad the final went. Still was the most effective at breaking the press, but forced quite a few bad shots.
Guards stepped it up with some big shots & reserve Wynja was key on defense & taking that charge.
It's win, we'll take it!

How about the waving off the two baskets that Treynor scored after being whistled for traveling? Counting the final controversy, that's six points taken off the board. Unbiased spectator, but I think Treynor deserved better. Overtime would have been a better way to settle it.
Baskets after the whistle don't count, so nothing came off the board.
No doubt in any of the travelling calls against both sides.
I'd have been OK with a no-call on that last play.

Watched the game on TV and camera angle and my ancient DVR didn't give me a good enough view to say for certain either way.

What you have to respect is that the ref made his call immediately. Didn't wait to see if the ball went in, or hesitate. It also was the guy with the best view of the play.

Very rare off-night for Veerbeek, and it fell on the big stage. Great defensive scheme that led to her forcing shots.

Really enjoyed listening to Treynor's coach in the huddle! She might be an old bird, but was sharp and involved her asst and players in the decision making. Very classy after the game as well.

Great championship game to watch as a spectator.

The feet being set has no bearing on a charge call. You will not find it in the rule book. Tough angle from the video, but a really tough call that could go either way, evidently. He called it right away without reservation, so he obviously had a better angle than the Des Moines Register video. Treynor missed 8 free throws, 12 turnovers, and shot 35% from the field. That could be the main reason in a loss, not a borderline call.

Watched the game on TV and camera angle and my ancient DVR didn't give me a good enough view to say for certain either way.

What you have to respect is that the ref made his call immediately. Didn't wait to see if the ball went in, or hesitate. It also was the guy with the best view of the play.

Very rare off-night for Veerbeek, and it fell on the big stage. Great defensive scheme that led to her forcing shots.

Really enjoyed listening to Treynor's coach in the huddle! She might be an old bird, but was sharp and involved her asst and players in the decision making. Very classy after the game as well.

Great championship game to watch as a spectator.
agree.. I like the way Treynor players were allowed input in the hudle. A sign of a good coach. Good game plan by Treynor but even better execution. Western had an off night but were still able to pull out the win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT