ADVERTISEMENT

1A Title Game

VanderHoops

Freshman
Feb 16, 2011
Honestly, the teams I thought could upset GVC are gone, but Alburnett has shocked us all week.

It may be boring as hell, but Alburnett needs to shorten the game and get the final score in the 30's.
Be methodical & work the ball around the perimeter. Nothing but 3's or layups and accept that you'll get blocked frequently, but taking it at them and hoping for foul trouble may be the only hope.
Pack everyone in the lane and pray for cold-shooting & box out.

I don't disagree with trying to shorten the game. My take is scoring. I don't think Alburnett has a shot if they can't up their score into the upper 40's or 50's. Seems like GVC is still in the 50's 60's even on off games. I wouldn't like Alburnett's chances if they are only scoring 30's.

Too, from the limited times I've seen them, most teams have zoned/packed it in against GVC. While it does slow things down, GVC still finds ways to score.

I don't see Alburnett having enough scoring to win.

I agree. If Alburnett tries to score a lot they'll get run off the court. GVC getting rebounds and pushing the tempo is going to happen at some point. You try to limit those chances. Plus, it will also let GVC get some rhythm going and get their pressure involved. They don't have the full court press they've had the last couple of years, but that half court extended zone can cause issues, especially when their three bigs are in together.

If Alburnett has decent bigs, clog the middle, don't let Samake and Sissoko get into transition (drop everyone back on misses) and hope they have a bad shooting game from outside. Sissoko and Montes are both good 3pt shooters, which is a problem, but Sissoko especially seems to be on of off. Just don't let them beat you inside, because they can on both ends. If they get the pace they want, it will be a long game.

We have seen two teams come out with good gameplans to beat GVC and they couldn't do it. St. Albert played great and got GVC in foul trouble but GVC still found a way to win. Montezuma played a tremendous first half only to have GVC just flip a switch at halftime and run them out of the building. Alburnett can have the perfect game plan but they will still need to have the best shooting game of their season to have a chance. I just don't see any way it is happening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT