ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 Class 1A rankings

Anonymous111

Freshman
Jun 27, 2018
1. Montezuma
- took care of business this week and dominated two inferior opponents. Will see a lot of blowouts with this team. Currently ranked 11th on BCMoore

2. Bishop Garrigan
- Crushed first 3 opponents by a average almost 40 points a game. Quick Stats shows they have the most formidable big 3 in state this year. Find it odd they are performing so well with loss of 1st team all stater TJ Schnuur. Currently ranked 1st on BCMoore

3. Easton Valley
- Looking very solid this year winning easily in all of there opening week games. Have one of the best big men in class 1A combined with very solid guard play. I don’t expect them to lose this year. There stifling height will cause many problems for class 1A teams and they can also shoot the ball well. Come playoff time will playing poor competition come back to bite them? Sure didn’t for North Linn last season, but I would say the years before it did. Currently ranked 8th on BCMoore

4. Lake Mills
- Decent week one for the bulldogs. Had a shaky first game against a not very good west Hancock team who came off a LONG football season. Game two they come back and destroy a Belmond team like they should. Chet Helming has played extremely well for them with his shooting tough and size giving everyone trouble. Caleb Bacon appears to be hurt at the moment and they have a daunting game coming up against #2 Garrigan. Currently ranked 17th on BCMoore

5. South O’Brien
- lost a very close game to a great team in West Sioux. Defense has been impeccable for the wolverines and they are being led by Jackson Louscher and have surrounded him with a great supporting cast. Play 2-3 very tough games this season and will walk through rest of there schedule. lengthy in there front court and back court, but not overally tall. Huge game coming up against a banged up Remsen squad. Currently ranked 3rd on BCMoore

6. Remsen St Mary’s
- as Kuchel pointed out on my preseason rankings, the hawks are banged up right now. They are relying on Schorg to keep them afloat while guys heal up from what was a long football season for them. When healthy this is my #1 team in the state, but as things currently stand with the injuries I have to put them lower on the list until injured players come back. Huge game coming up against #5 South O’Brien. Currently ranked 15th on BCMoore

7. West Fork
- This team really wasn’t on my radar after their loss of all state wing Zach Martinek. They have really improved a lot as players not necessarily talent wise. They are a lot more disciplined and move the ball better where as last year they would stand around and watch Martinek iso. Big win over a traditionally good team in Forest City and another big win over a much bigger school in Clear lake. Clear Lake did play without star point guard Carson Tobe, but a win vs a good 3A school is a great win for a 1A school. Currently ranked 6th on BCMoore

8. Newell Fonda
- No Bryce Coppock? No problem! This team had a huge win over traditional power Western Christian and got a solid win over Sioux Central. Bryce was definitely the teams best player last season, but people really “slept” on this teams good senior class as a whole. They are quick and play a very fast paced brand of basketball. There lack of height is this teams Achilles heel but make no mistake, this team is legit. Currently ranked 5th on BCMoore

9.WaCo
- Have not looked great to start the year in spite of their high preseason ranking by most sites. This team is still 2-0 and does have some tough games spread throughout the season. Don’t know if they are going to keep this ranking going forward if they are not able to improve. Offensively they are only averaging 55 points a game, a number that has to improve. A ton of basketball left to be played and this team has a lot of talent, but as of right now, I can’t rank them any higher then this. Currently ranked 22nd on BCMoore

10. Alburnett
- The loss of star point guard Hunter Caves is a devastating blow for this team. But in-spite of this, they find themselves 2-0 and playing really solid basketball. Took care of two teams they are much better then and really did what they were suppose to with or without Caves. It still remains to be seen if they can compete with the top end teams, and until then I have to leave them lower on the list (mainly because of Caves injury, otherwise they’d be much higher). Currently ranked 12th on BCMoore

Please excuse any spelling mistakes. Wrote this in a hurry.

Feel free to comment your own top 10, and criticize anything you disagree with. This will be a weekly ranking throughout the season. And yes I did use BCMoore as a small factor in my rankings. BCMoore is fairly accurate and I do trust it over most rankings, but in the early part of the season it can be pretty wonky

Last edited:
Reactions: Anonymous500
Westen Christian is never bad. Not many 1A schools would beat them.

QUOTE="RJV2324, post: 177177, member: 28117"]Western Christian isn't amazing this yea . Yes they could probably beat anyone but there also gonna lose 5-10 games this year.[/QUOTE]

Waco added a foreign exchange student that seems pretty legit, 6’3 or 6’4 guard averaging 14 off the bench and actually leading them in scoring. He will probably never start though bc they have 5 seniors.

Waco added a foreign exchange student that seems pretty legit, 6’3 or 6’4 guard averaging 14 off the bench and actually leading them in scoring. He will probably never start though bc they have 5 seniors.
They need other guys to step up. 55 ppg isn’t good enough. I haven’t heard of him, however if he is a 6’4 guard that can present some real problems for most teams

Waco is solid but not a threat to any of the contenders.

I think it’s a little early to count anyone out at this point, especially with 1A being as wide open as ever. Teams can change a lot over the year and only time will tell.
I totally agree. I think teams like Martensdale St Mary’s, WaCO, and turkey valley are teams that will be dangerous by years end. But by the end of this week a lot of teams will be already done with 1/4th of regular season. I think we will begin to see a clearer and clearer picture as the postseason approaches as to who the top tier teams in class 1A are. You are right that class 1A is open, but the reality is that there are still tiers of teams and we just don’t know who falls into what yet

They need other guys to step up. 55 ppg isn’t good enough. I haven’t heard of him, however if he is a 6’4 guard that can present some real problems for most teams

His name is Pietro Vannini, and he is legit. 6'3", and can play inside or out. With 5 senior starters returning, he's a perfect compliment off the bench. Will play as much as a starter. Barring injury, WACO will be a very tough out as the season wears on.

His name is Pietro Vannini, and he is legit. 6'3", and can play inside or out. With 5 senior starters returning, he's a perfect compliment off the bench. Will play as much as a starter. Barring injury, WACO will be a very tough out as the season wears on.
Who has Waco played for you guys to say that they are a tough contender?

Who has Waco played for you guys to say that they are a tough contender?
Lost one starter from a substate run where they lost to the state runner up. I personally feel like that alone should qualify them at least in the realm of contender, but that’s my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT