ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason 1A rankings

Anonymous111

Freshman
Jun 27, 2018
Here are my class 1A rankings with some reasons as to why I have them where they are, and some weaknesses they may have

1. Remsen
- Had a great season last year finishing 3rd overall in a solid 1A field. Great guard play, play sound offensively, tough on defense, are coached extremely well. Return everyone from a top 10 team last year. Watched them at state last year did not come off to me as a very athletic team, and didn’t seem to have top end talent like maybe a Montezuma or lake mills does. Something to look out for

2. Montezuma
- Had a great year last year making it to state and the semifinals. Have a top 5 player in class 1A and have the best overall guard duo in Watts and Shreaer. Need to be more consistent this year shooting the ball. When they are on, they are the best team in the state, but they can’t just rely on there outside shooting and Shreaer to beat some of the better teams

3. Lake Mills
- Have some of the best top end talent in the state. Have a top 10 player in class 1A, one of the best rebounders in the state, and a Swiss Army knife that really creates a sound big 3. Everyone knows there role and plays hard. While they may have some of the best talent in the state, it doesn’t always translate. Play in a pretty tough conference so don’t be surprised if they lose 4-5 games

4. Easton Valley
- Had a solid year last year in one of the best years in its conferences history. Most years they would have finished top of it. Return 4 of there top 5 scorers and will have a easy schedule which will help them playoff seeding wise like North Linn In previous years. Will need 6’6 big man Logan house to take a big step this season

5. Bishop Garrigan
- Had a good year last season making it to the Wells. Was overall the biggest team in the state last year towering over most teams. They have the top player (talent wise at least) in class 1A in Angelo Winkel. 6’8 big who runs the floor well and dunks everything. Like lake mills they have some of the best top end talent in the state. However they play in a good conference so wouldn’t be surprised if they drop 4-5 games.

6. Martensdale St Mary’s
- Had a good season last year notching 18 wins. However they played in the worst conference in the state. Have great star players in 6’4 forward Trey Baker and 6’2 wing Carson Elbert. But they seem to lack quality depth and role players. After top 4 players (Baker, Elbert, Gavin 6’8, Franny 5’8) there is a huge drop off in talent. This team is my sleeper of the year, but the top 4 will have to carry along the rest of the role players

7. Saint Alberts
- Had a great season last year and was a top 5 team in the state. Lose 6’5 athletic forward Jared Gast to graduation, but return 6 of there top 8 players from last year. These teams are always very well coached and play tenacious defense. Never look at there record as an indicator for the level of team they are come playoff time. Matter of fact, a lot of the time they won’t have played a single 1A team till the playoffs start all while playing 3A and 4A schools. The thing that could really hurt them this year is there lack of size. Gast was by far the tallest and most athletic player on the team, and replacing him will be tough as he always took the opposing teams best interior player ( he played fantastic defense on the Issa Samake last year in the wells )

8. South O’Brien
- Finished the year with 20 wins last season but definitely not the way they wanted to. I have them ranked lower then most people do for a few reasons. While this team is going to win a lot of regular season games, they will probably still drop at least 4 games (2 to Remsen and 2 to West Sioux) they also lack height at the forward position. They have height at guards, but when your tallest player is 6’3, your going to struggle in the playoffs especially when your not a good 3pt shooting team which they aren’t. Now they still will be very solid and I expect them to win 18 games and get a good seed for there district, I just don’t see them above the teams I already listed.

9. Turkey Valley
- Finished last year solid with 18 wins. Return a ton of talent this year. They have size, depth, and play tenacious defense. They return there top 3 scorers along with Kade Kruse ( a 6’7 big guy who they look to take a big leap this year ) they will play tough defense and win a lot games in the regular season. However offensively this team is very challenged. Ethan Leibold is the only player who can really create his own shot and he really isn’t a play maker either. Will struggle down the stretch of games because of this. But if there role players take big strides this year on the offensive end, don’t be surprised to see this team with 18-20 wins come of the regular season.

10. Alburnette
- Had a great season last year and finished up as runner ups to a very good Grandview christan team. While they did beat everyone in there way and finished 2nd, I think most people would agree they severely overachieved. The other side of the bracket was a lot better, so they dodged that, and they got pretty lucky against Remsen who was the better team. I’m putting them here because of star guard Hunter Caves. He’s going to be one of the best guards this year and I expect him to be a conference player of the year candidate next season. They also return Shane Neighbor, a solid wing and a good running mate for caves. Look for this team to be dangerous come playoff time.

other teams of note
Bedford (two elite seniors but mediocre supporting cast)
Grandview (if they have more recruits)
Newman (two star freshmen
Newell Fonda (whole they did lose there best player, they have a very solid Senior class)
Waco (return a lot of talent, but were never really close to being “one of those teams”. Will be interesting to see if they can take that next step)

Feel free to comment where you disagree, agree, or anything in between. And sorry for any spelling mistakes. Wrote this in a hurry. Just excited for hoop season again!

Last edited:
Reactions: NWIAorBUST
Very nice report, Anonymous. Lots of excitement for 1A basketball. You obviously follow 1A extremely close. I'm always amazed by the number of really good players who go on to college ball from the smaller schools. I don't report on 1A or rarely 2A because Dubuque County where I live has no 1A teams. 2A Cascade and Beckman of Dyersville rarely play the larger schools in basketball, so I don't see them. Keep up the good reporting of 1A.

Reactions: Anonymous111
Very nice report, Anonymous. Lots of excitement for 1A basketball. You obviously follow 1A extremely close. I'm always amazed by the number of really good players who go on to college ball from the smaller schools. I don't report on 1A or rarely 2A because Dubuque County where I live has no 1A teams. 2A Cascade and Beckman of Dyersville rarely play the larger schools in basketball, so I don't see them. Keep up the good reporting of 1A.
Thanks EIH! Yup I’m from North Centralish/Northwesternish Iowa so I see primary smaller schools play. I’ve seen pretty good players come through the small schools in my area. James Betz a great player from Garner last year is playing as a true freshmen at UNI and everyone knows about Seth Tuttle of West Fork a few years back. I would say that fans of smaller school basketball are finally refreshed to not see a school like Grandview in the picture anymore. I mean the past 3 years it’s seemed like a forgone conclusion and everyone was playing for second. And same goes for 2A in North Linn. So yeah wouldn’t be surprised to see some buzz on the forums for the smaller schools this season

Here’s mine..
1)Bishop Garrigan, has probably the most talented player in 1A and along with 2 other great players to make up in my opinion the best big 3 in the class, I know stats may not show from last years team but there was some big question marks from last years regular season on this team. I know some people may think the team will be down from a year ago, but with the firing of the head coach saw the team win every playoff game by 20+ on there way to state along with the teams main problem being shooting a year ago will be remedied this year by great shooters that came off the bench who will start this year.

2)Remsen St. Mary’s, Great and skilled squad from northwestern iowa, well coached and will once again play great defense. Probably the best resume of returning squads and might be deserving of that number 1 spot but we will see. 3rd place at state and returning every single player on there roster in a more open field this year should definitely help them out.

3)Montezuma, great guard play but graduates there post so won’t have a true post and graduates two other key players. They have one of the top players in the class. Key will be shooting for this team if consistent they will compete for a championship but if not can lose to any quality team. This is a streaky team to me and I could see them ending up holding up the championship trophy this year or not being at Wells at all.

4)South O’ Brien, you could make a case for them being in any of the top 3 spots instead of where I have them but I feel comfortable with my selection here. Definitely a real contender, key to this team will be finding an interior presence, has one of the top players in the class returning in Louscher but he can’t do it all as he was even there leading rebounder. They will need some other big to step up on there team to be a real threat of winning a state title.

5) Lake Mills, one of the most talented teams this year. After dropping down a class, Lake Mills had a solid year last year being a formidable 2A squad with some pretty good wins to there resume. With one of the top players in the class with helming and 2 juniors that are very solid running mates for helming this could be a team to look out for. Graduated one player from last year squad who wasn’t a key player. They will be experienced and talented so look out for this squad.

6)Martensdale St. Marys, returns every key player and went 18-3 last year, albeit the worst conference in the state but definitely a good resume. This team has the makings to be a contender with 6’4 forward trey baker, 6’8 big man Isaac Gavin and 2 solid lead guards. Main problem will be playing consistent and having the rotational players step up.

7)Easton Valley, returns almost every key player. A very balanced squad who saw 5 players average double figures. Look for this team to end the season with one of the best records in 1A. This team has little bit of everything size, shooting, experience. They could be listed higher but they got bounced out fairly quick in the playoffs and do graduate a 6’5 big who averaged double figures but definitely look for this team to be a contender.

8)Turkey Valley, a tenacious and physical team. Returns a workhouse and rebounding machine in Leibold. And some other key pieces but a main part to this team success come this winter will be there shooting they have some size and play physical but they need to be more consistent and have a shooting threat out there and space the floor for Leibold to create.

9)Saint Alberts, went toe to toe with one of the best 1A teams of all time, play no 1A teams in the regular season and graduate only 2 of the top 8 players on there team. Battle tested and well coached. They well always play tough defense and give any team a run for its money. You can never pay attention to this squads record when you play them as they always come prepared. This year they may struggle a bit come time to play a top end team due to lack of height and athleticism because of loss Jared Gast played fantastic against GVC and helped them maintain competitiveness throughout the game. A dark horse team for sure.

10)Alburnett, I had trouble including them on my list but after a runner up finish and returning stud point guard hunter caves I think they deserve this number 10 spot. Very good underdog story last season but I don’t see them replicating that success. Lost a good 6’5 big and another key player but return Neighbor and sniper from 3 Huber. So look for them to again have a good regular season record due to a weak conference but could make noise come post season with some experience.

Others to monitor.
New London, bring in two stud freshmen

Bedford, Almost made the list if it was a top 11 they’d be that 11 spot

Newell Fonda, great senior class and is a formidable team on any night.

Central City, Nick Reid.

Last edited:
Good list. I would agree with the Bedford being at 11. Two 4 year starters are going to help that team win a ton of games

Anonymous111, I enjoyed your rankings. 1A seems to be pretty talented again. The only things I would say is that SOHS probably is better than 8th, though I do not know who you throw them in front of. I see them and RSM play at least twice a year and I wouldn't be surprised if they split their games. I can also say that though they are only listed at 6'3, their two bigs are pretty solid and their 2-3 zone is as good as anyones in the state. Running 6-2, 6-2, 6-3, 6-3 is not bad for any 1A roster and if memory serves me right, they have a lengthy freshman coming in as well.

Also Anonymous2003, NF loses their leading scorer this year to West Sioux. They will still have a decent year but not as good as it could have been.

Anonymous111, I enjoyed your rankings. 1A seems to be pretty talented again. The only things I would say is that SOHS probably is better than 8th, though I do not know who you throw them in front of. I see them and RSM play at least twice a year and I wouldn't be surprised if they split their games. I can also say that though they are only listed at 6'3, their two bigs are pretty solid and their 2-3 zone is as good as anyones in the state. Running 6-2, 6-2, 6-3, 6-3 is not bad for any 1A roster and if memory serves me right, they have a lengthy freshman coming in as well.

Also Anonymous2003, NF loses their leading scorer this year to West Sioux. They will still have a decent year but not as good as it could have been.
I agree that’s why I have them in teams to monitor otherwise they most definitely would have cracked the top 10 with Coppock on the roster.

Good list. Thankful to have people who take their time to make these rankings. My personal opinion, I feel like Bishop Garrigan tends to underperform. Every year they debut in the rankings extremely high and just don’t live up to their rankings. No doubt they have a lot of talent with Winkel, will be interested to see how things will shake out this year. 1A is the more wide open this year than it has been in a while so it should be a fun season!

Good list. Thankful to have people who take their time to make these rankings. My personal opinion, I feel like Bishop Garrigan tends to underperform. Every year they debut in the rankings extremely high and just don’t live up to their rankings. No doubt they have a lot of talent with Winkel, will be interested to see how things will shake out this year. 1A is the more wide open this year than it has been in a while so it should be a fun season!
I respect your opinion but this is how I personally feel the 1A field is definitely open this year with a blend of 2 4 year starters and probably the most talented player in the class and a couple great shooters who will be seniors to stretch the floor this year for Winkel. I feel like Bishop Garrigan is as good of a bet as any. But I totally agree with your opinion! In no way do I feel like there is a clear cut number 1 team. You could totally honestly interchange my top 5. I gave the nod to Bishop Garrigan because I felt as if they have the most talent in the class. Very excited to see all these actual 1A teams play for a title though it should be a fun season!

Thanks for your input. I agree they are lengthy, but when teams like Lake Mills go 6’6, 6’4, 6,’3 and Bishop Garrigan goes 6’9, 6’4, 6’4, 6’3, and 6’0, their length starts to not look as impressive. When your best player is a 6’2 post, your gonna have a tough time scoring against teams with that length. And those are two teams that will most likely get matched up in there substate.

Thanks for your input. I agree they are lengthy, but when teams like Lake Mills go 6’6, 6’4, 6,’3 and Bishop Garrigan goes 6’9, 6’4, 6’4, 6’3, and 6’0, their length starts to not look as impressive. When your best player is a 6’2 post, your gonna have a tough time scoring against teams with that length. And those are two teams that will most likely get matched up in there substate.
Caves actually tore his ACL in football and is out for the season. Big blow for Alburnett, but they'll still be solid.

Agreed, those pose serious matchup problems. However, I watched them play at a size disadvantage against a very talented George Little Rock team last year. Their stout 2-3 zone helps them in that area. Also, Louscher is a slasher that plays above the rim, he's not a post. I wouldn't be surprised to see him bring the ball up the floor this year as their PG is the only graduate from last years team.

Agreed, those pose serious matchup problems. However, I watched them play at a size disadvantage against a very talented George Little Rock team last year. Their stout 2-3 zone helps them in that area. Also, Louscher is a slasher that plays above the rim, he's not a post. I wouldn't be surprised to see him bring the ball up the floor this year as their PG is the only graduate from last years team.
Nothing against the kid, he’s a great player in fact one of the best in the class but he does not play above the rim.

Caves actually tore his ACL in football and is out for the season. Big blow for Alburnett, but they'll still be solid.
Wow got to feel for the kid. They will still be pretty good but most likely not a top 10 team. Wish him nothing but the best and a speedy recovery. Fun to watch at state

After watching more highlights of him, I would still say he is a forward definitely not a guard. Shooting spot up 3s and dribbling the ball with literally just your right hand against teams not pressuring the ball does not make you a guard. He is a forward who can stretch the floor and handles decently for his frame

Obviously there are plenty of games to be played, but it will be interesting to see if Garrigan and Lake Mills will have to play each other to go to Wells. That could knock out one of the stronger teams in Class 1A from playing in Des Moines this year.

Obviously there are plenty of games to be played, but it will be interesting to see if Garrigan and Lake Mills will have to play each other to go to Wells. That could knock out one of the stronger teams in Class 1A from playing in Des Moines this year.
Nice observation. Although I could see them sending Garrigan west in a substate where the best team in the other side is South Obrien

Looks like there’s a new dark horse in 1A....GVC appears to have reloaded...6’10” freshman...& a 6’5” sophomore. They’re baasaaaaaack

GVC will be a quality team this year, just not dominating like the recent past.

QUOTE="Cheer_for_the_Hawks!, post: 177056, member: 336"]Looks like there’s a new dark horse in 1A....GVC appears to have reloaded...6’10” freshman...& a 6’5” sophomore. They’re baasaaaaaack[/QUOTE]

Reactions: mylameusername
Looks like there’s a new dark horse in 1A....GVC appears to have reloaded...6’10” freshman...& a 6’5” sophomore. They’re baasaaaaaack
Don’t know if this is the year to worry. Beat an awful team by 11 and they are a sophomore and freshmen I’ve never heard of. Sophomore played very well and the freshmen scored a grand total of 2 points. Now in a year or two, once again we will have problems

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Don’t know if this is the year to worry. Beat an awful team by 11 and they are a sophomore and freshmen I’ve never heard of. Sophomore played very well and the freshmen scored a grand total of 2 points. Now in a year or two, once again we will have problems

“Problems”....lol.

You guys seemed to make out okay on the girls side with a new acquisition......

Bishop garrigan played Harris lake park this summer and made them look like an absolute joke scraping them off the floor by 50. Remsen st Mary’s just beat that horrible team by 10? Does anyone have any word on that game or any insight? Because I am very confused by that score.

Bishop garrigan played Harris lake park this summer and made them look like an absolute joke scraping them off the floor by 50. Remsen st Mary’s just beat that horrible team by 10? Does anyone have any word on that game or any insight? Because I am very confused by that score.
St Mary’s is currently playing without 3 starters and at least 3 other contributors from last year’s team are still banged up from their football run. It looks like 5 of the 6 will be back healthy after Christmas break.

St Mary’s is currently playing without 3 starters and at least 3 other contributors from last year’s team are still banged up from their football run. It looks like 5 of the 6 will be back healthy after Christmas break.
Long football runs can really hurt your early season basketball. Is the Schorg kid playing? Was really impressed with him

Reactions: kuchel20
Yes. He will have to carry them for a bit but they have some good young talent also that will be gaining valuable experience while they get healthy.

Trust me. Don't look at this too har . Remsens legit

As Kuchel pointed out they are really banged up. Do you know if there injured players will be playing against South O’Brien ?

Some will return, not all. Those that return still won't be 100%. I'm interested to see how 3-0 Hinton plays them tonight with a completely brand new team I know very little about them. LeMars transfer seems to be working out for them. 2 Sophomores stepping up and playing well.

Reactions: GarriganFan12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT