ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State Recruiting Class

John and his family know that the decision to go to ISU was more than KJ, it was and is the best decision for John, so you can bash and hate on Jackson - so what. we are in the right place. John will be fine, so i hope that answer your question.

So if "John and his family" decided that ISU was the best place for him... then becoming the best athlete he can be must not be a very high priority! And my feelings regarding KJ are not a secret. I think for John to develop as a wrestler... he should have went to a B1G school, any B1G school. But it looks like he was just fishing for the first full ride that came along.

So in a few years when "the family" looks back on that decision, how much regret will you acknowledge? If you are honest with yourself at this very moment... you know damn well that Jackson is in over his head. Hell... he nearly ran USA Wrestling into the ground and now he has done the same to ISU wrestling.

John will be fine only if he is at ISU for an education. If he is there to improve as a wrestler, the decision was a very bad one.

RRF: I believe you have let your ego override your common sense. You appear to be blind to the reality that is ISU wrestling. An absolutely HORRIBLE program with an absolutely HORRIBLE head coach. And to make matters even worse... assistants that have no coaching experience with no connections to get quality recruits to improve the program. All I ever hear is that ISU wants to raid the OTC for kids because they can't develop recruits themselves.

Look at guys like Finch, Beard, Weathermans, etc... not a single AA to show for themselves. What a pathetic pattern of not developing kids who came in with great high school credentials. Soon, we can add John's name to this list.

Prove me wrong?

Not sure why MitchL can't let this go. Why do you care so much? It's not your life dude. Please move on!

Agreed, in all honesty I am probably an Iowa fan more than an Iowa State, but even with that said, I still was rooting for John being from Iowa and wish all Iowa kids well regardless of what school they wrestle for. Let your personal vendetta against Iowa State die

I am a lifelong Hawk fan and my disgust for KJ goes back to the days when he was hired and made the negative remarks about Iowa and specifically a couple of the coaches in IC. Now... my beef with RRF has a similar line of reasoning. Over the last several months, RRF had also made some negative comments regarding the Hawk staff. Also made a special attempt to disparage Gable.

Now is simply an opportunity to point out the special mistake the "family" made to have JM attend ISU. And in case anyone has noticed... since KJ has been stinking the place up in Ames, now we get the "excuse" that JM is attending ISU for more than just wrestling for Jackson. Nothing wrong with that, but it is extremely funny that his tone has switched from "Coach Jackson and the ISU program can maximize John's talents" to "He's at ISU for many other reasons"!

It is widely agreed upon that a parent or relative probably shouldn't be reading message boards because of things that are discussed about specific wrestlers. Heck.. there was even a rumor, true or not, that Jackson had encouraged RRF to refrain from posting on the wrestling boards.

Here are the facts in my case 1. I really do hate ISU wrestling and think now and then, that KJ was a terrible hire. 2. I do not hate the Meeks' family and certainly hope John achieves success at a good wrestling school, aka, a B1G school. 3. KJ will be gone in 4 months and I am sure they should be able to hire a better head coach then what they hve now.

BTW: I certainly respect and admire the passion that RRF brings to the message boards and realize it must be very difficult to be objective given the situation.

But how far have things fallen when ISU fans are trying to determine if the Clones have a chance to beat NDSU?

I agree with bubsdad... John gets to pick his own path in life and that includes where he goes to college. ISU was obviously the place he felt was the best fit for him in a number of different criteria. People should respect his decision no matter where he decided to attend college. Wish the young man luck, hope he has a great wrestling career and even more importantly, that he has a great life after college.

I KNOW FULL WELL that the smart thing for me to do would be to NOT jump into this exchange! HOWEVER, I have to acknowledge that I am troubled that a wrestler of John Meeks' caliber has been thrown into the fire w/o benefit of a redshirt in a program that unfortunately is in a severe state of decline/disarray. My son Junior took quite a beating in his transition to college wrestling back in the day. Fortunately, he went initially to ICCC in Fort Dodge where they prepared him well for D-1 wrestling. I wish Meeks could have been redshirted to aid the transition. I remain of the opinion that he will be a D-1 champion. Therefore, my HUMBLE SUGGESTION is that, when the coaching change is made after this yerar at ISU, that he seriously consider going over to Cedar Falls where Doug Schwab & Co is really turning things around! After all, OSAGE = WRESTLING and the Osage influence can only help! Obviously I intend to disrespect NO ONE but would like to see a different wrestling environment for Mr. Meeks.

It appears this whole arguement is by people that don't know Meeks, his family, Jackson, or Pollard. You don't know what any of them are thinking or what their goals are, but feel the need to plan their future. This seems strange.

No one is planning anyone's future here! The largest part of this thread has been devoted to the shortcomings of Jackson as a head coach. That's it! The rest of the discussion has shifted to how the dire situation in Ames has affected certain wrestlers... specifically young Meeks.

Go to the Clone message board and the Jackson discussion gets taken to a new level. You can count on one, that's one, hand the number of people defending Jackson. This is all about results. By anyones' standards... Jackson has failed to develop any kids he recruited. Name one kid he recruited that has achieved AA status. You can't!

I have no idea how much Dad Meeks influence on John was involved in their decision to wrestle for Jackson. And quite frankly, It's none of my business. But we, as wrestling fans, have the right to discuss such an issue when Mr Meeks has been this involved in the discussion. His explanation on the switching of the earlier commitment is what has some people questioning what happeened BEHIND the scenes. Not saying anything illegal ocurred, but it seemed rather mysterious.

What is clear to me is that the young men who have chosen to attend ISU to wrestle are being shortchanged. If I was a parent or guardian of any of these young men, I would want answers as to why the assistant's staff has had such a high degree of turnover. The one common denominator is Jackson. Bono, Voelker, Washington have all came and left, and that's in less than four years. That's a lot of turnover by any standard. What about Jackson is dragging the once proud program at ISU to new lows?

Regarding recruiting... look at all the kids that have committed to wrestle for Jackson that never even made it to campus, for whatever reason, or have left after they arrived. It's a rather large list. Bad luck?

And then there's the issue of the abnormally large number of injuries in the program. Injuries that have ended careers, or at least greatly hampered them. More bad luck?

This got longer than I wanted it to, but some of you have taken my posts wrong. Having ISU suck this bad is not good for the State of Iowa, nor good for high school wrestling in this State.

Mitch you are a complete D-BAG, I have tried to be pleasent with you but you want to keep digging, you say I made NEGITIVE comments about Gable and other IU staff and that is why you are out for me well let me tell you what I really feel, I don't want any of my boys apart of that Red Neck group. My sons have worked hard for what they get and they are not working for slave wages no matter what you or anyone else says, so you can run your bath water mouth about me all you want, it does not take way the fact that my son don't need HAWKS to win and will do that just fine.
Now your sorry butt has SOMTHING to really be pissed about. And don't have a good day because you don't deserve one

Regardless of everything, I did watch the video of your son RRF and thought the way he conducted himself in the interview was very humble and very appreciative. Wish him the best of luck at ISU and will be following and rooting for him regardless of being a fan of Minnesota instead of Iowa/Iowa State.

thank you very much, he is a better son and person than he is a wrestler. we are proud of him and the ISU fans and family treat him very well

RRF: Not that I didn't already know or believe this, but there likely is one REALLY, REALLY big reason your son didn't get much serious interest from the Iowa program. Or at least get the loving attention you were craving.

Most head coaches in any college sport absolutely HATE meddling parents who think they know more than the coaches. And even more those who have hired a private training coach, to boot! Those parents are a coaches worst nightmare. Fortunately for your family... Jackson was in no position to be picky and likely had no choice but to accept the baggage that came along.

Those "rednecks" you refer to are among the elite college wrestling coaches in the country. Meanwhile... you are stuck with some USA wrestling castoff that was, at best, the 3rd or 4th choice to be ISU's head wrestling coach after Terry Brands and Randall, and maybe others, turned down Pollard.

And please down insinuate what I think you are insinuating when you refer to "slave wages". You, my friend, are an absolutely disgusting individual by making that comment. Think before you post crap like that!

And given the results to date... your son DOES need someone to help him because the results to date are not exactly impressive. But hey... take solace in the fact that John had a wonderful high school career even though that was slightly tainted when you ducked Skon in the post season last spring.

Have a GREAT day, sir.

Based on one of MitchL's comments, I went over to the CycloneReport and CycloneFanatic websites. OUCH!!!! We all look like peace advocates and followers of Gandhi nonviolence compared to THOSE flamethrowers over there!!!

RRF: One more thing there, big guy, about that "we're not working for slave wages" comment. I don't know if that was merely a slip of the tongue or something more serious. But you seem to be implying, or directly saying, that Tom Brands wasn't willing to give extra benefits over and above scholly money. Or that Jackson was willing to supply something a little extra!

I should have been a detective because your comments seem to warrant an inquiry from the NCAA Committee on Rules and Infractions! Exactly what did the family get from ISU that was better than those "slave wages" you refer to?

I don't know what high school you graduated from, if you indeed graduated from high school, but either your emotions tend to get the best of you, or you get excited and forget proper grammar and spelling. Either way... you are a loose cannon.

I am personally very happy that your "family" will only be in Iowa City for the every other year beatdown that the Brands and Co squad will administer to the Cyclones. I'd be willing to bet some other Hawk fans feel the same way. Good luck in ClownVille!

Hey Doc: Have you heard any rumors about Ames Realty having a new listing in Gilbert?

I have not because under normal conditions, on general principles, I try to avoid Clone territory.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
(Not exactly what one would call a Clone fan since about the 70s.)

You are one stupid person because you talk out of the side of your neck, you keep making comments that you no nothing about, you are just guessing and all the guessing so I will explain but your dumb butt will not get it anyway.
1. You say that my son did not get much interest: yea I guess you are right he only got 6 plus D 1 offers from 80 to 100% and several others at 50%.
2. You say that most coaches don't like meddling parents: dare anyone to check with any coach or trainer that my boys have had that would tell you that I get into their business . Because I take pride in giving them info that I know and then I become a support to them and that is a fact. You just think because I am vocal on a board that I carry that over to my kids life or there coaches ( wrong again)
3. As for my comment about slave wages: you took that so far left I did not even think you were that low.
I would never want any coach to give my boy things above and beyond Skolly money. As a family we study the rules so that my boys don't get caught up in breaking tricky tack fouls, ( don't take free stuff, do let the SubWay guy give extra stuff) we follow the rules so to want a coach to give above and beyond is a stupid concept.
Slave wages means that John has been taught that things are not just given to you, you have to earn them so he has earned getting Skolly money so don't hate. If a coach says he is not paying, that is nothing wrong with that, but if a certain un name coach choices not to come to a wrestler and his family but send a message by one person to another person to ask us if John will take a third, but never omes and ask for himself is weak to me. Each side has made there choice and I think that both sides will be just fine with those decisions..
Now you Mitch have a choice to continue your bashing and lying or you can drop it, I also have a choice to continue battle back with you or we both can call a truce. As for me, I am done.

What you say now may or may not be true regarding the recruiting process. It looks to me like it is more back tracking because what you implied with your earlier statements are violations of the NCAA rules. Since college wrestling doesn't get near the scrutiny that football and basketball do, I doubt any investigation will follow. But you should think a liitle more before you post stuff that could be interpreted as racist.

You have consistantly bashed the Iowa staff over the last year and I can go back through the threads and prove it if you would like.

You remind me of another recent poster on these forums... a guy from Mason City that went by the screen name of "oldmcwrestler", who continually got out of control and even threatened physical violence because he couldn't control his emotions. If you accept the praise and adoration, you better be prepared for criticism and scrutiny also.

You accuse me of lying, but I have merely questioned some of the vague comments you have made recently. The one thing you have never answered is the decommitment of JM going from a program on the rise to one in decline. What was the incentive for that?

And lastly... please enlighten us to what the pros and cons were in the decision to have John wrestle this season? You obviously are concerned about financing a college education, so why not redshirt this year, utilize the scholly, and get an extra year on ISU's buck? Five years of paid education rather than the four you now face?

Just an update regarding some of the previous discussion concerning the decision for Meeks to wrestle his season and the family's decision to have him attend ISU. Look no further than the results to date of Cory Clark, who could be considered an equally highly regarded college recruit. Clark is redshirting and is in a program known for developing top notch lighter weight wrestlers. Better coaching, better room partners, and results to date that are quite incredible. Meanwhile... Meeks is struggling BIG TIME, is quite possibly destroyed, mentally, and in all probability will be lucky to finish with a 500 record.

All this for the benefit of a full ride scholly. Yea, a great decision by the Family!

Wow look what your MOTHER raised ( D-Bag ) who is so stuck on someone else's decisions. We have always wished Corey well and always will. That won't ever change weather John is doing well or struggling . John is going to be just fine and a butt hole like you never has mattered and never will

Just when this thread had died a rightful death someone has to come in and start the name calling thing.....tsk..tsk..tsk..

The guy is a jerk, if you look over this thread I have tried to be a nice guy but he is stuck on a bone like a dog and acts like if it is not Iowa then you are wrong so my words to him are SCREW HIM, I never ever go after wrestlers on there school decisions , that is just wrong. As for what says about me, he is an idiot I had nothing to do with the red shirt. The way I feel is that if he is willing to dish it out then he had better be willing to take it.

It took you 20 days to get that worked up? You are just inviting it to start all over again. My opinion would have been to let sleeping dogs sleep...not poke it with a stick. I probably would also recommend that you go back and read some of the things that you have posted in the past and see if you may have been a little to blame for SOME of the reaction towards you. But in the end we will all do what we are going to do, I know my kids will love me, my family and friends will love and God will know I have lived a just life so whatever message board posters write about me is pretty insignificant.

First off cidhawkeye/// I had not been on this board for awhile and that is why I posted when I did.
After reading your post I fully agree with what you said and will not post on the matter again. Thank you.

"Just an update regarding some of the previous discussion concerning the decision for Meeks to wrestle his season and the family's decision to have him attend ISU. Look no further than the results to date of Cory Clark, who could be considered an equally highly regarded college recruit. Clark is redshirting and is in a program known for developing top notch lighter weight wrestlers. Better coaching, better room partners, and results to date that are quite incredible. Meanwhile... Meeks is struggling BIG TIME, is quite possibly destroyed, mentally, and in all probability will be lucky to finish with a 500 record.

All this for the benefit of a full ride scholly. Yea, a great decision by the Family!"

+1000

This post was edited on 1/21 1:33 PM by kkkkkathmandu

One thing this thread proves is that if I'm lucky enough to have one of my boys get a sports scholarship, then that's the day I quit reading and posting on message boards.

From some past conversation, many folks have suggested that posting on a message board is NOT a good idea .However, since RRF is basically a "loose cannon", that advice was never taken. Parents are naturally protective about their kids, and well they should be. But the problems that have followed the Meeks' clan are pretty much self-induced.

This thread never started out as an attack on any one individual, but it got that way when the subject of red-shirting arose. Unfortunately, RRF made some statements that never quite made any common sense, and he personally attacked the Iowa coaching staff on a few posts.

Now... some are trying to make him out as a victim. He is not a victim. He is just another over zealous, meddling parent. Nothing more, nothing less. And since John's struggles have grown, he has become that much more defensive.

The subject of this thread invited comments from ISU and non-ISU fans. It's the "prep" forum so subjective posts weren't being screened, as they would have on the ISU site. And as others have already indicated... given the stuggles of Coach Jackson, the ISU site is way more "toxic and heated" than this forum ever has been.

Some ISU fans had hoped that the hiring of Nickerson would miraculously save the program. You could easily argue things have gotten worse. Is that due to the asst. coach, the head coach, or the lack of talent in the lower weights for the Clones?? I certainly don't know. But the results speak for themselves.

If KJ is retained after this season, it will be nothing short of a miracle. The real question will be how many of the current starters on the present ISU team will be with the program next season. Some of the non-seniors won't be around a year from now. I'm very confident in making that prediction.

And yea, I really thought this thread was dead until RRF revived it. That tells you all you need to know about someone who loves the attention he's getting!

Rrf as a victim? He incited most of what he got on here. Sometimes it is best just to walk away from things and I don't think he can. It's like a moth to light.

He's a hothead! And given John's success at the high school level... he's not yet prepared for losing. But given the situation that he finds himself in, he better get accustomed to it.

I am NOT about to get involved in this war!!!!! Therefore I will slightly redirect the conversation (AKA "hijack the thread") by informing Monster that the Loch Ness Monster, whom he has a picture of in his post, is no longer in Scotland. I have it on good authority (BOTH Elvis and Sasquatch told me) that he migrated to Crystal Lake, about 10 miles North of Britt. He pops his head up from time to time in the ice free aeration hole in the SW corner of the lake.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

MitchL ur posts are disturbing...remember if u dont have something positive to say please refrain from posting...thanks from the majority on this board!

booieg: Not sure you've been following with your recent reference about stuff that you perceive as negative. If you go back a few posts you'll notice that this thread was inactive for nearly three weeks. Three weeks!

Then... we have RRF make a post where he labels me, I guess, as a "db". So before you get on your pulpit and label someone... perhaps you should review who is looking for controversy. It's not me. Some of us are debating the present state of ISU wrestling. When it becomes obvious that things are going well in Ames, some folks become defensive.

Numerous posters have suggested a certain parent should avoid these forums. He hasn't, so he is game for any response he may receive. At least that is how I view his participation on this forum.

We who post here have an interest in wrestling. Some, more than others. No one is forcing a response. While it's obvious that I am not a fan of Clone wrestling, I think the happenings in Ames are open to discussion.

I guess others can determine what is more harsh... calling someone a "hothead" or calling someone a "db". I know which of those I would consider more of a personal attack.

Now... can we return to discussing ISU wrestling?

For the record, I wasn't suggesting a particular parent avoid these forums. I was suggesting ALL parents avoid them, for the reasons evident in this thread. Not just this parent's behavior.

WeDo...No posse here. Just trying to figure out what is so funny - guess you have to be an Okie St fan to get it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT