ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State Recruiting Class

With Troy Nickerson was added to the staff, I think our light weights will be all right. Can't wait to hear all the reasons why this move is bad.

Originally posted by mmiille:
With Troy Nickerson was added to the staff, I think our light weights will be all right. Can't wait to hear all the reasons why this move is bad.

It would be really tough to claim it is a "bad" move. Interest in the job was very low considering Jackson is entering the final year of his contract. That's how they ended up with someone who has so little coaching experience in Nickerson.

The issue is that Nickerson was a great wrestler but his coaching experience is basically nil. In short, a talented, well known and young former lightweight wrestler is about the best ISU could have expected and that's what they got. Only time will tell whether he can coach.

No secret that I'm not an ISU fan, but I'll reserve judgment until we see some results this upcoming season. Certainly has better name recognition than his previous two asst. hires.

If ISU can somehow get some quality workout partners for their lighter guys, that will also help. The big question will be if KJ has a job after this season. If JP goes in another direction... TN is gone and the Clones start from scratch.

This next season could very well be the most crucial year for ISU wrestling in the last few decades.

Otherwise, SPOONER makes some very good points regarding TN. And can he recruit?

the coaches as well as the wrestlers need to produse. after seeing TN training and interacting i think it was a perfect move but now time will tell. i feel we have the coaches and we have the wrestlers to make a strong move in the right direction. to me it is put up or shut up time. with that being said i think that we are in a positive mode

it looks like McCauley has made it clear he won't need to redshirt. earning the spot on the junior national team, against underclassmen and jucos would seem to indicate he's capable of competing now. doesn't mean he'll win a NC, but he's certainly ready from a mat prep point of view.

Originally posted by dmlawdad:

Too bad he's not going to ISU. I was looking forward to watching him.
This year's recruiting class and pretty much the future of ISU's wrestling program wrests on the shoulder's of Meeks.

As an Iowa State fan, I'm not that concerned because I saw Meeks' first match at state his freshmen season. He pretty much picked up the kid and threw him down legally in the first 30 seconds on his way to a major decision.

This post was edited on 7/25 2:18 PM by eyecy

eyecy: If this one wrestler is expected to save KJ's job... Pollad might as well start accepting applications now! No way in hell young Meeks AAs this year with the kids returning at 133. Any ISU fan that thinks he will should look at who the returning guys are. Plus, a kid like Colon didn't even place, and I don't think Meeks beats him.

The loss of McCauley basically seals KJ's fate, as if it wasn't already circling the bowl.

"Pollad might as well start accepting applications now!" Who the hell is Pollad?????

True frosh going 5-4 to #4 Jun or Sen-not sure. I would be cautiously optimistic. I believe the mindset should be that it is a confidence booster, but no where near satisfied. I would say to him, "You can wrestle with the best in the nation, now let's go work our tails off to BEAT the best in the nation." My observation is that Gable/Brands would be happy with the progress but disappointed with the result. I think this is where they separated themselves from the others. This attitude needs to be replicated in Ames.

they do have that same attitude in Ames, and you might on to see if someone will upload that match, it may give you a better understanding.
This post was edited on 11/15 10:40 AM by rough rider fan

Roughrider, I also heard that the semis match was, in itself, a super building block. Please tell John cangrats and keep working hard.

As an Alum and former student season ticket holder of the late 80's, I am glad to hear that the attitude does exist. Anyway you can upload it??

Meeks IS outstanding. No doubt about it. I assume he will be an NCAA champion. What I DON'T understand is why didn't he go to Iowa or Penn State. I have doubts the Clone program will maximize his talents. Tom & Terry certainly could!

First off he will do very well at ISU and is under the very watchful eyes of this coaching staff.
As for not going to Iowa, he was never recruited by the Brands and now has developed the mindset to want to beat them, as for Penn that was never a desire to go there.

125 and 133 are not need weights at Iowa for the forseeable future. There was no reason for Brands to recruit Meeks. And then there is that thing that Iowa seldom grants full schollies. Unless Mr Meeks cares to inform us... we won't really know if the family expected a full ride.

I have no idea if Meeks was a good fit at Iowa or not, I trust Coach Brands' opinion, but to say there is no need there for the foreseeable future is way off. McDonough is a senior. Also, I bet the kids they did recruit at those weights appreciate your confidence in them. Why did they go after them if there is no need. Think before you type will ya.

MitchL is a well informed person and even though we don't get along very often he may have a good point but my only issue is the respect factor but with Johns credentials he should of least got a introduction letter a phone call or something, now let me say this, I never thought it was a good fit for him overall but for coach Gable to say to Johns trainer that he was upset because Iowa did not get a fair shot at John, but the truth is Iowa never pursued him.
Otherwise wish both teams well this year

To se xc1: With the scholarship limitations for college programs, there is absolutely no way in hell that Brands could offer Meeks what ISU likely offered him. Simply no way!

Iowa has two "elite" prospects in Clark and Gilman from last recruiting class. You really think he could aggressively go after all three and expect one to sit? Give me a freaking break!

Iowa has bigger needs at different weights and this is why Brands get paid the big bucks to make those decisions. It is more unfortunate for young Mr Meeks because the training partners, or lack thereof, at ISU will tremendously hinder his development .

One more big hindrance for John Meeks, actually two... He needed the redshirt this season. Secondly, when Jackson gets axed after this season... TN is as good as gone. A new coach will bring in his own guys and young Meeks can transfer, use the redshirt, and start new in 2014/2015.

People got a little too excited about his close match with Colon. Colon is fighting to get to 125, and I suspect he's having weight cutting issues that may have resulted in JM nearly winning a match against a guy who may have had energy issues.

I hope I'm not sounding too critical of John Meeks. He will likely have a very nice college career. But I don't believe he will achieve that success wrestling for KJ.

MitchL,
I don't mean to sound condescending, but go back and read what I posted and what you posted. I never said he was a good fit at Iowa, nor that they needed him. You said, "125 and 133 are not need weights at Iowa for the forseeable future." Not me, you. I never suggested he was better than the recruits they had or anything like that.

There seems to be some disagreement as to IF Brands recruited JM aggressively and IF Iowa really had a shot to get him. I sure as hell don't know, but you've lost me with the "think before you type" statement. Think what? While Meeks was a great hgh school wrestler... this lack of a redshirt could turn out to be a huge mistake for him personally.

Somehow, KJ must have convinced the Meeks' clan it was a good idea to wrestle this year. OR... RRF is a genius and it keeps the familys' option open to transfer out next year when KJ gets canned and wrestle at a new school without losing a year of eligibility. Maybe RRF is the EVIL GENIUS!

Regardless... KJ's list of supporters could hold a rally in a phone booth and not be crowded.

The dual in IC will be a bloodbath and if JM stays off his back it will be quite an accomplishment.

To se xc1: I'm still trying to figure out your response, but maybe I was just too vague with my answer. I don't know the sequence of Clark and Gilman commiting to Iowa and where they felt they stood with Meeks at the time, but if Brands was confident on getting Clark and Gilman then I can see why Meeks was not in the picture. Also you must remember... there were several reports, right or wrong, that the Meeks clan had no interest in Iowa. And if KJ was willing to throw a full ride at JM, RRF didn't need Hawk interest to drive up the "price".

Either way, as I said... with Clark and Gilman in the fold, 125 and 133 were covered and it would be hard to justify more scholly money for those weights. Do you disagree when I said 125/133 were now in good shape at that point?

BTW: From the sounds of it, RRF was personally insulted by something Gable had said to the training coach and that likely led to hard feelings against the Hawkeye program. At the end of the day, given the tenuous status of KJ, the real losers are the kids within the Clone program who have not progressed and likely will be wrestling for a new coach next year that did not recruit them.

Yes, I get it now. You were saying there was no need at these weights based on the fact they had those kids already. I was looking at it from before that-with McDonough leaving there will be a need. It is all good.

Hey, RRF... In two years, JM would look good in an Iowa singlet wrestling at 141...No?

If a full ride is a major factor in your decision, then you are quite likely correct that it will never happen. But from what I have gathered over the years in regards to scholly money with Iowa wrestling, the upper classmen earn money from camps to cover the difference.

And... Iowa has always sold their kids on the chance to be a National Champion and in the hunt for a TEAM championship. But obviously, you must do what you feel is best for John.

Plus... I would hope academics and life after wrestling are a big part of the equation.

What I said was that (not even a full ride could make that happen) and I want you to know that education is a big focus for John and he is doing well, life after wrestling is a focus that his mom and I have for our son, matter of fact John is a far better person and son than he is a wrestler and that is because he has the grace of God on his life and it is are job to help lead guide and direct him ( as he allows us ) at this time John trust us and ask those that he is close to to for advice. We just don't see the Iowa wrestling program as a good fit for him. He believes that titles come from more than Iowa he will be just fine but thanks for the offer

Originally posted by Iron Doc:

Meeks IS outstanding. No doubt about it. I assume he will be an NCAA champion. What I DON'T understand is why didn't he go to Iowa or Penn State. I have doubts the Clone program will maximize his talents. Tom & Terry certainly could!
I am an Iowa fan. But the truth is that since 1999 12 individuals have become national champions for Iowa (with 2 of those individuals winning 2 titles), and 11 have become national champions at Iowa State. Not a big difference, in my opinion...

Originally posted by rough rider fan:
What I said was that (not even a full ride could make that happen) and I want you to know that education is a big focus for John and he is doing well, life after wrestling is a focus that his mom and I have for our son, matter of fact John is a far better person and son than he is a wrestler and that is because he has the grace of God on his life and it is are job to help lead guide and direct him ( as he allows us ) at this time John trust us and ask those that he is close to to for advice. We just don't see the Iowa wrestling program as a good fit for him. He believes that titles come from more than Iowa he will be just fine but thanks for the offer
Glad to see the emphasis on education. A career can end at any time, but education is forever. What is he majoring in?

Good. Both areas are marketable programs. No sense in majoring in something that won't land one a job.

Ramos will destroy a lot of guys this year, not just Meeks. But the greater concern for ISU fans should be what the long term results will be for Meeks when this happens as much as it likely will this year. Meeks' confidence and frame of mind is really going to be tested this year.

Not all four time Iowa champs have done well in college. Sundell is a prime example of this. From an outsiders' perspective, strictly from a wrestling standpoint... going to ISU to wrestle for KJ was the worst decision possible, given Jackson's likely termination at the end of the season.

But I'm sure RRF will be here at some point to justify that decision. Problem is... the facts don't appear to be on his side.

So sad, really!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT