ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State Recruiting Class

Jan 12, 2011
Jackson's program has had a few years, but looks on the upswing with incoming recruits Destin McCauley, John Meeks, Bauer among others-thoughts?

Both Iowa State with Coach Jackson and Iowa with Coach Brands have without a doubt the two best coaches in the country to get college wrestlers ready to wrestle on the international scene.

I'm taking away anything Cael has accomplished at Penn State but I honestly feel that both Jackson and Brands are much better coaches.

I think ISU will need an upgrade in their lightweight coaching staff to see vast improvement for the 125/133/141 guys. Just my opinion.

Iowa State is going to get better it will take some time but I agree that a change at the lighter weight coach maybe necessary if Kevin Jackson wants to improve the program and those weights.

What light weight coaches are out there that would be attractive?

How about Steve Knight? Doubt he would leave Team Excel but he would be a great fit and an instant upgrade to not only the lightweights but the whole coaching staff.

Originally posted by MitchL:
I think ISU will need an upgrade in their lightweight coaching staff to see vast improvement for the 125/133/141 guys. Just my opinion.
That's a valid point.

If every meet was only 165-plus, Iowa State might be 6-0 or 5-1 instead of 0-6. Judging solely from what I've seen out of the upper weights.

Gophers this weekend .... good chance the Clones go to 0-7 then its Mizzu up next. WOW, ISU could be 0-8 heading into the Midlands. I don't think an ISU wrestling team has ever gone 0 for 8 heading into the Midlands after Christmass. Need to check the record books but this season's dual record at the end of the year may be Rock Bottom ??? *** :-( ***

0-7? Show me a win on their schedule.

Sat, Nov 05 Kaye Young Open at Mason City, Iowa All Day Results

Sun, Nov 06 Army at Boston, Mass. 2:00 p.m. 22 - 23 (L)

Sun, Nov 06 Boston at Boston, Mass. 6:00 p.m. 16 - 21 (L)

Sun, Nov 13 Harold Nichols Cyclone Open Ames, Iowa All Day Results

Sun, Nov 20 Old Dominion at Norfolk, Va. 12:00 p.m. 16 - 21 (L)

Fri, Nov 25 Oklahoma State * Ames, Iowa 7:00 p.m. 9 - 29 (L)

Sun, Nov 27 Oklahoma * Ames, Iowa 2:00 p.m. 13 - 22 (L)
Mediacom

Sun, Dec 04 Iowa Ames, Iowa 1:45 p.m. 9 - 27 (L)
Mediacom

Fri, Dec 09 Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn. 7:30 p.m.

Sun, Dec 18 Missouri * at Columbia, Mo. 12:00 p.m.

Thu, Dec 29 -
Fri, Dec 30 Midlands Championships at Evanston, Ill. All Day

Tue, Jan 03 Arizona State at Tempe, Ariz. 8:00 p.m.

Sun, Jan 08 Missouri * Ames, Iowa 2:00 p.m.
Mediacom

Fri, Jan 13 Virginia Tech Ames, Iowa 7:00 p.m.
IPTV

Fri, Jan 20 Oklahoma * at Norman, Okla. 7:00 p.m.

Sun, Jan 22 Oklahoma State * at Stillwater, Okla. 2:00 p.m.

Sun, Jan 29 Cornell Ames, Iowa 1:00 p.m.
Mediacom

Fri, Feb 03 Northern Iowa at Cedar Falls, Iowa 7:00 p.m.

Sun, Feb 12 National Dual Meet Midwest Regional Ames, Iowa TBA

Sun, Feb 19 National Dual Meet Championships at TBA TBA

Sat, Mar 03 Big 12 Championships at Columbia, Mo. All Day

Thu, Mar 15 -
Sat, Mar 17 NCAA Championships at St. Louis, Mo. All Day

Originally posted by Hawks1010:
0-7? Show me a win on their schedule.

Sat, Nov 05 Kaye Young Open at Mason City, Iowa All Day Results

Sun, Nov 06 Army at Boston, Mass. 2:00 p.m. 22 - 23 (L)

Sun, Nov 06 Boston at Boston, Mass. 6:00 p.m. 16 - 21 (L)

Sun, Nov 13 Harold Nichols Cyclone Open Ames, Iowa All Day Results

Sun, Nov 20 Old Dominion at Norfolk, Va. 12:00 p.m. 16 - 21 (L)

Fri, Nov 25 Oklahoma State * Ames, Iowa 7:00 p.m. 9 - 29 (L)

Sun, Nov 27 Oklahoma * Ames, Iowa 2:00 p.m. 13 - 22 (L)
Mediacom

Sun, Dec 04 Iowa Ames, Iowa 1:45 p.m. 9 - 27 (L)
Mediacom

Fri, Dec 09 Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn. 7:30 p.m.

Sun, Dec 18 Missouri * at Columbia, Mo. 12:00 p.m.

Thu, Dec 29 -
Fri, Dec 30 Midlands Championships at Evanston, Ill. All Day

Tue, Jan 03 Arizona State at Tempe, Ariz. 8:00 p.m.

Sun, Jan 08 Missouri * Ames, Iowa 2:00 p.m.
Mediacom

Fri, Jan 13 Virginia Tech Ames, Iowa 7:00 p.m.
IPTV

Fri, Jan 20 Oklahoma * at Norman, Okla. 7:00 p.m.

Sun, Jan 22 Oklahoma State * at Stillwater, Okla. 2:00 p.m.

Sun, Jan 29 Cornell Ames, Iowa 1:00 p.m.
Mediacom

Fri, Feb 03 Northern Iowa at Cedar Falls, Iowa 7:00 p.m.

Sun, Feb 12 National Dual Meet Midwest Regional Ames, Iowa TBA

Sun, Feb 19 National Dual Meet Championships at TBA TBA

Sat, Mar 03 Big 12 Championships at Columbia, Mo. All Day

Thu, Mar 15 -
Sat, Mar 17 NCAA Championships at St. Louis, Mo. All Day
Tonight at 7. But I digress because I am more of an Iowa State wrestling fan than I am an Iowa State men's basketball fan.

What about VaTech? Or UNI? Does anyone think that those are possible "W"s for ISU? Discuss.

Originally posted by augvol:
What about VaTech? Or UNI? Does anyone think that those are possible "W"s for ISU? Discuss.
We should beat Northern Iowa if our lower weights would pull their weight. I'm actually slightly impressed with our upper weights.

the bottom line is that the wrestling situation is very SAD, :-( You can "sugar coat it" and (+) spin it all you want but the picture still "SUCKS" when you are talking about the History of ISU wrestling... Who would have thought that the most (+) sports news in Dec 2011 @ ISU would have been the Cyclone Football Team ???

Ooooch, just read about the pounding the Gophers put on the Clones, was 34-6 and ISU is now 0-7. Way to go Andrew with a good win over #8 Yohn and also kudo's to Spangler with his victory over the #10 kid. I feel good about the Hawkeye chances of returning the favor and doing some Rodent Pounding in the Big 10 SEASON !!

Against UNI... I give ISU a clear edge at 125, 165, and 174. Tossups at 184, 197, and HWT. So... yes... this is a very winnable dual for ISU.

BUT, BUT, they must avoid giving up bonus points at 133, 141, and 157. They could win six matches and not win the dual. But I expect bonus from 174 and 165 for ISU, so I guess I'm predicting about a 20-16 win for ISU.

Not sure why you would think 133 would give up any bonus points. He has already beat the UNI wrestler. So just by a head to head stand point you would have to put an edge at that weight also. JMO!

With due respect to the ISU 133, he's horrible and shouldn't even be in the lineup this season. It's hard to tell if he's even a Division 1 prospect or if he's simply in over his head. But that blame goes to KJ because rather then let these guys adapt to college... he's throwing them into the lineup and likely destroying their confidence. Kj has pulled that trick with several kids in the last few years.
The next ISU coach better let the alumni and AD know that there is no quick fix for what KJ has done to the team. When you basically run off guys like Clark and Dalton Jensen... this is what you have left. Hard to feel any sympathy for Jackson. The question for me will be if Meeks is the next victim to his strategy. For his good... he better redshirt next year, but given the pressure that KJ has put himself under... I bet Meeks is thrown to the wolves next year.
Very few top programs consistently throw true freshmen out there. Then again... No one today considers ISU a top program.

I have been around since (almost) the beginning of time and have never seen State's wrestling program this down. Clone Faithful: What is the answer?

Not a Clone fan, obviously, but I'll give as objective an answer as I can from how I see this playing out.

I originally thought KJ would get 4 years to prove his worth. But given what we've seen this season, this team is regressing and making very little progress. Only Spangler, Sorenson, and maybe Beard are making progress. No other wrestler looks to be improving as the season moves on. That's a pretty small percentage of the team.

Some would say next years' recruiting newbies will save his job. But none of them will be ready to contribute next year. Meeks and McCauley will need to redshirt. If Caldwell makes it to campus... he's the only addition I see as being lineup ready.

I can't believe the AD and alumni can wait for the 2013/2014 season to see marked improvement. Attendance is bad and only getting worse. Iowa is not on the home schedule next year.

I guess you cut your losses now and throw as much money as you can at guys like Heskett or Henson.

Another problem is KJ's staff. YW isn't getting results from the lighter weights. TnT and Reader are still competing and I don't think that helps.

If KJ gets another year... it tells me Pollard doesn't care about wrestling. A program as legendary as ISU can't take a 4 year hiatus and remain relevant.

If ISU had a larger, more active group of boosters... I think the situation would not be as dire. But I think a good share of them have given up.

In closing... as an Iowa fan, I relished watching ISU struggle. That was earlier. Now I actually feel sorry for the few loyal fans they have left. This once great program is in shambles and I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Originally posted by Iron Doc:
I have been around since (almost) the beginning of time and have never seen State's wrestling program this down. Clone Faithful: What is the answer?

IMO the answer is one word: Patience. Give KJ till the end of next year and then look at the potential for the 2013-14 season. IF things are not looking a LOT better by then and our young guys haven't shown some development then everyone can come out with both guns a blazing asking for KJ's head. Till then, give them time to develop the young guys/recruits in the program.

Potential lineup/depth
125-Finch/Larson
133-Terukina/Meeks/Baur/Hallman
141-Goettl/Jones
149-McCauley/G. Moreno
157-M. Moreno/Cozart/Tr. Weatherman
165-Spangler/Molina
174-England/Ta. Weatherman
184-Beard/Shafer/Ta. Weatherman
197-Gadson/Riley/Voelker
Hwt-Gibson/Smith/Swope

IF these kids can develope then the future is bright. A major test for ISU's current coaching staff well be how well they do in developing these guys. Hopefully they can find another suprise or two much like Andrew Sorenson has developed for us. Finch, Spangler & Beard look like they are ready right now. Terukina, Molina, England, Ta Weatherman have already shown some promise by performances in early season tourneys but need to develop.

Supercyzd: Do we agree that ISU needs a MAJOR upgrade in a lightweight asst. coach? The first five weights for the Clones is brutal to watch!

AFTER last weekends 31-10 loss to Mizzu down in Columbia, our ISU Cyclones are 0-8 in dual competition and 0-3 in Big 12 Duals. This is the "worst" record ever in the History of ISU Wrestling heading into the Midlands and the Christmass break. So sad, ISU banked heavy on KJ, a coach with lots of experience but "NO" head college coach experience. Dealing with 18 & 19 year old kids and their parents is alot different than dealing with Olymoic Athletes @ the OTC. As posted above, he has had several good wrestlers leave the program and even Boaz Beard bolted on him but did come back to ISU ... Knowing wrestling moves is 1 thing, knowing how to recruit H.S. kids and keeping them on campus in good standing ... and how to deal with mom's and dad's .... This is what I don't see in KJ. Again, soooo SAD !!

Supercyzd: Do we agree that ISU needs a MAJOR upgrade in a lightweight asst. coach? The first five weights for the Clones is brutal to watch!

MitchL - Maybe I'm too much of a homer but I'm holding off on agreeing with you until I see how our lower guys finish this year. I will say that I'm not sold on him yet and I'm watching the lower weights closely. But, with that said, it's a long year and what happens early in the year really doesn't matter compared to what happens in March.

I very much disagree with your statement "the first five weights are brutal to watch". Here's a question that I have for you. Have you even seen any of our first 5 guys wrestle and if so how many times?

125 - Have you even see Ryak Finch wrestle? This kid is going to be a stud. He's a lot like Zack Sanders from Minny whom is currently ranked #1 at 125. He's a little small but very quick and exciting to watch. He's ranked in the top 20 and has only loses have been to guys who were ranked in the TOP 3 when he wrestled them. He also beat Ladd Rupp from Oklahoma whom at the time was ranked #8 by some ranking services. He is struggling underneath but this happens to a lot of great wrestlers making the adjustment from high school to D1 college. He hasn't lost to anyone that would cause embarassement. He has just had a tough schedule. If he becomes a R12 or AA will you still be calling him brutal to watch? IF not who will you give credit too?

133 - I could have told you this would be a brutal weight for us but I have been pleasantly suprised watching Terukina. He's a true freshman who is quick as a cat. He has scored takedowns against just about everyone he has wrestled including Iowa's Ramos who is on fire so far this year. He may be getting beat but he's definately fighting and trying his best. Ben Cash's injury hear forced the coaches to pull his RS.

141 - I was very excited at the thought of Max Mayfield dropping down at this weight based upon his performance last year at 149. IF he gets healthy it will be very interesting to see how he does and/or if Goettl can improve.

149 - Cozart - I agree - Brutal to watch

157 - Moreno - He has been brutal to watch simply because I think he can be good and my expectations were very high on him.

My main question for you MitchL is what has to happen for you to say we don't need an upgrade at our lightweight assist coach? What if we get a R12 and another one of these guys qualified for nationals and winning a match or two. IMO that would be some very good progress for these 5 weights. What if we get an AA and two other qualified? Would he still be failing as a lightweight coach?

Andrew S. and Spangler will score points at the Midlands, probably will not have anyone else place. No doubt the Clones will be out of the Top 10 Teams, it is just a ?? on how low they place as a Team this year ?? Last year the Clones placed 8th @ the Midlands. I don't see any improvement for KJ at the Midlands this year !!!

Under Sanderson - Cody Sanderson handled lightweights to my knowledge.

2007- 4 AA's (157, 165, 184, 197) That same year 125 (R12), 133 (1-2), 141 (1-2), 149 (R12).

2008- 7 AA's (133, 141, 157, 165, 184, 197, 285) That same year 125 (0-2), 149 (1-2).

2009- 4 AA's (141, 165, 197, 285) That same year 125 (1-2), 133 (1-2), 149 was R12.

Now KJ steps in with what everyone will call a Cael depleted ISU team. He took Cyler thats it.

2010- 3 AA's (125, 197, 285) That same year 133 (R12), 141 (1-2), 149 (R12), 165 (R12), 174 (1-2), 184 (1-2). This was the year that ISU was suppose to contend for a national title 3 AA's with a senior dominated lineup will not get you a national title.

2011- 1 AA (174) that same year 125 DNQ, 133 DNQ, 141 (1-2), 149 DNQ, 157
DNQ, 165 DNQ, 184 (0-2), 197 (R12), 285 (2-2)

If you are looking for national quailifiers and maybe a win here and there out of your lightweights keep Yero. If you want to produce AA's and national title contenders. I would look into finding someone of higher quality. My two pennies I guess.

Originally posted by Beaver80:
Ooooch, just read about the pounding the Gophers put on the Clones, was 34-6 and ISU is now 0-7. Way to go Andrew with a good win over #8 Yohn and also kudo's to Spangler with his victory over the #10 kid. I feel good about the Hawkeye chances of returning the favor and doing some Rodent Pounding in the Big 10 SEASON !!

We shall see there Beaver. That will be a dandy

I think the Gophers win at most... 4 matches against the Hawks in IC. 149, 184, 197, and maybe HWT. But I think HWT is a tossup, so if Iowa wins 7 matches... it will be a pounding.

Finally we get the Gophers at home and I think that tilts 165, 174, and HWT. Otherwise I would give the Gophers those matchups.

BTW: To my Clone posters... Finch may have potential... but he's getting smoked by the upper tier of 125s. I can't see him anywhere near the round of 12.

I'm straying a bit here, but I'd like to follow up on why I think Finch is not going to be relevant this season.

In the conference tourney... he likely finishes last if Morrison replaces Rupp like most OSU fans think. That means he doesn't get seeded at Nationals. If he gets a pig-tail or an unseeded guy first round, he has a chance for a win. Then, it's a seeded guy and a trip to the loser's bracket. Highly probable he's an 0-2BBQ or a 1-2 guy this year.

I know he's the only Clone chance from the first five weights, but that's not saying much given the mess that KJs created.

Down the road... I like Finch by his junior season to be an AA.

I am a KJ fan and feel he deserves a few more years at Iowa St. It's no secret that when Cael left he took wrestlers with him and ultimately put the Iowa St program back two whole years in recruiting.

With that it's a pretty rough year, so it can only get better.

This dead horse has been beaten so badly the stick you all are using has worn out!

I think all get it now and correct me if I am wrong. KJ and Yero are horrible college coaches or coaches in general and they need to be done away with so some other coach can come in and get the program back to National contention in one year or less.

From what I have read and the conversations I have had with the people it matters to the most, true ISU fans, they are not happy with the current results but are understanding of what it will take to make it back to the top,and a chance for national contention. From what I have gathered is the faithful are giving it at least one more season and 2 tops for more major results. No excuses can be taken at this time. I personally think things are looking on the up. Am I pleased with what is transpiring now? NO!! But I must continue to tell myself the team was stripped to the bone, among other bad things that have come about to cause an already bad situation into the perfect storm.

I will not begin to compare coaches or any hypothetical situations but one thing I do know is all great programs take dips and then bounce back. This is our dip and it is all up from here!! Best wishes to all the young men that will be wrestling at the Midlands!!

Finally, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all, even to you MitchL hope you all have a safe and happy holiday season!!

Oldwrestler - do you really think a new coach can put together a national contender in one year or less? How many true freshman do you really think are all-american?

Originally posted by oldmcwrestler:
This dead horse has been beaten so badly the stick you all are using has worn out!

I think all get it now and correct me if I am wrong. KJ and Yero are horrible college coaches or coaches in general and they need to be done away with so some other coach can come in and get the program back to National contention in one year or less.

From what I have read and the conversations I have had with the people it matters to the most, true ISU fans, they are not happy with the current results but are understanding of what it will take to make it back to the top,and a chance for national contention. From what I have gathered is the faithful are giving it at least one more season and 2 tops for more major results. No excuses can be taken at this time. I personally think things are looking on the up. Am I pleased with what is transpiring now? NO!! But I must continue to tell myself the team was stripped to the bone, among other bad things that have come about to cause an already bad situation into the perfect storm.

I will not begin to compare coaches or any hypothetical situations but one thing I do know is all great programs take dips and then bounce back. This is our dip and it is all up from here!! Best wishes to all the young men that will be wrestling at the Midlands!!

Finally, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all, even to you MitchL hope you all have a safe and happy holiday season!!

Oldmc: What's getting old are the same small group of KJ apologists making excuses and imploring the fanbase to be patient. When Brands left VT, people said he was destroying their program. Turns out Dresser was a little better college coach and recruiter than what ISU hired. VTech has a very respectable team today with a considerably smaller support base. Apparently Dresser didn't use the sympathy card and chose to work hard.

Maybe oldmc feels a little guilt, because if I remember correctly, he suggested KJ take a chance on the Terukina kid, and he clearly isn't ready for Division 1 wrestling.

ISU is a very long ways from being competitive again. Potential is in the eyes of the beholder. Not all great programs take dips...as he suggests. And the ones that do... usually clean house with staffs to rectify the problem. Two or three competitive wrestlers on a team won't do it. Yet... ISU fans point to Reader and Varner as Jackson success stories. I guess the apologists will hang their hat on that.

Make no mistake, I love watching KJ flounder. He hasn't backed up anything he promised when he arrived on campus. He was the third or fourth choice, by many accounts, and it shows. He ran USA wrestling into the ground and then proceeds to do the same with ISU.

Nice hire there... Mr. Pollard!

BTW: Happy Holidays oldmc.

mtdew_fever - The answer to question is NO! If you knew my position better you would know that that was a sarcastic post!

MitchL - I am making no excuses for KJ or his staff. I am just standing next to the facts at hand. If ISU had the same results as they are and there was no injuries and other things out of the staffs control, I would be in the front lines asking for a resignation or the administration for a staff change.

I feel no guilt on Shayden what so ever. The young man has the potential to become a very good D1 wrestler. I felt he should have been redshirted but with the current situation I see nothing wrong with him stepping in. Great things to come out of that young man, I know him personally.

Your personal opinion and views towards KJ and others is what makes you lose credibility. Your attacks on people and negativity have a big part to play also. Whether this staff is in place or not in the next several years I think KJ has put the program back in the right direction with the young men he has recruited. ISU will be back in the very near future bet on that. With or with out KJ and his staff!

Oldmc: Credibility, to me, is based on how one formulates opinions. I base my opinions on the results I see from the ISU program. Right now, ISU is in the worst shape that I have ever seen in the years since their last National title in 1987. Can you really try and argue differently? I have never seen the attrition that I've seen in Ames from any so-called elite program, regardless of the reasons.

On the other hand... your credibility is suspect because your optimism for the Clones looks like it's based on hope, not results. KJ has never had major success from a TEAM standpoint, at any level. Prove me wrong!

Injuries, bad luck, Cael, and a litany of other excuses for bad results. That crap doesn't fly with knowledgeable fans. And it doesn'y fly with me.

And I don't think you have much of a future as Jackson's recruiting coordinator, either. ST will never be a starter again after this season at a Division school. That... I feel confident in predicting.

oldmc stray far away from the cliff with mitchL. IT IS A WASTE OF YOUR TIME. IT all most sounds like he could coach this team BUT he cant.

RRF I hear you loud and clear! Hope to see you soon! Tell John best wishes and I appreciated the talk we had in the tunnel this past season.

MitchL - Did you find it brutal to watch Luke Goettl beat returning AA and the #2 Midlands seed from Penn today?

edit - or getting a pin in the qtr finals?
This post was edited on 12/29 9:53 PM by supercyzd

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT