ADVERTISEMENT

Bettendorf vs Dowling

About kids showing up at Dowling before their jr. year and leaving Dowling after the season? Dowling is made by reaping kids not developing. A kid last year finished the season and went back to Carlisle. Again, I am fine with it. I just think it makes their wins meaningless. If it gives you pride, so be it.

Our 4A football archivist, yet to be named, could easily find this. Just cross reference seniors on the Fall Dowling roster and then check against the commencement roster, if available. If it’s so obvious, it should show up. Or, we could all just enjoy things a bit more. I mean, Bettendorf cheats by recruiting too, says everyone in the Quad Cities, so must be true

In 2017 - 2018 the Bettendorf school district had 719 students open enroll in from other school districts. Thank God none of them played football or they might have won that game last night!
719? I’d like to see that information, for any or all schools. Not calling bs, but kind of

I will, total BS...but consider the source. Not one kid on their roster is a transfer to play FB. Because of the shared boundary w/PV, the two schools allow open enrollment between each other which is common.

Last edited:
Here is the problem with all these statements wether it happens are not. You have to recuit the 22 best athletes in that area.

Even if you could do that, getting them to mesh as a team on both sides of the ball is going to be hard to do.

Dowling/Bettendorf can only put 11 guys on the field at one time. Either you can beat them or you cant.

Dowling loses two games Valley/Ank Cent. Bettendorf -Dowling/Cedar Falls.

So those teams must be recuiting as well?

Cedar Falls is growing at a astounding rate. They have gained over 1000 students in less than 10yrs. K-12. With 100 students open enrolling out of Cedar Falls and kids on waiting list to open enroll in this year alone.

If recuiting is happening in Cedar Falls/Waterloo. Then that would be a shocker, because our only Catholic School Columbus went from a 3a school to a 1a School over the years.

Here is the problem with all these statements wether it happens are not. You have to recuit the 22 best athletes in that area.

Even if you could do that, getting them to mesh as a team on both sides of the ball is going to be hard to do.

Dowling/Bettendorf can only put 11 guys on the field at one time. Either you can beat them or you cant.

Dowling loses two games Valley/Ank Cent. Bettendorf -Dowling/Cedar Falls.

So those teams must be recuiting as well?

Cedar Falls is growing at a astounding rate. They have gained over 1000 students in less than 10yrs. K-12. With 100 students open enrolling out of Cedar Falls and kids on waiting list to open enroll in this year alone.

If recuiting is happening in Cedar Falls/Waterloo. Then that would be a shocker, because our only Catholic School Columbus went from a 3a school to a 1a School over the years.

In girls sports Columbus has gone from 2A up to 3A the last two years....

Reactions: franky1967
I will, total BS...but consider the source. Not one kid on their roster is a transfer to play FB. Because of the shared boundary w/PV, the two schools allow open enrollment between each other which is common.
The statistics I quoted comes from the bettendorf school district web site. But consider the source.

Reactions: oldtimefootball
I agree with woodsiding. The only players with any talent are at Dowling. The rest of the state should just quit, since they have nothing.

I agree with woodsiding. The only players with any talent are at Dowling. The rest of the state should just quit, since they have nothing.

I guess thats one way to end Dowlings run, everyone should quit. Except..... Bettendorf made a few Coaching errors that let Dowling back in the game. If not for that happening this conversation would not even being taking place.

I guess thats one way to end Dowlings run, everyone should quit. Except..... Bettendorf made a few Coaching errors that let Dowling back in the game. If not for that happening this conversation would not even being taking place.

Player for

There are some Dowling people on the board who are really sensitive. Diabolical lee, I am sorry that I hurt your feelings.

Would you please accept that even though Dowling isn't cheating, they do things that others don't. So to many it devalues their titles.

Now cue VerbumDei to come on here piping about some kid open enrolled to a school and that's the same thing, blah blah blah. Its not the same thing. Yes every team has had A kid join their team some year. It's not the same as a bunch of key players coming in every year or leaving after they get their title.

There are some Dowling people on the board who are really sensitive.

Would you please accept that even though Dowling isn't cheating, they do things that others don't. So to many it devalues their titles.

Now cue VerbumDei to come on here piping about some kid open enrolled to a school and that's the same thing, blah blah blah. Its not the same thing. Yes every team has had A kid join their team some year. It's not the same as a bunch of key players coming in every year or leaving after they get their title.
Amen

Nicely done. 719 in and 236 out. Hmm. Based on totals by grade level, it could be spread across most grades and not just high school. Thanks
Right. 17percent of bettendorf student are from other districts, and apparently none are involved in athletics. Must have all transferred for the debate team.

You know, facts seem to really get in the way of a lot of crap people post on here...

By the way, we also had the post that alleged Dowling of having “players get there before their jr. year and leave after their senior season to graduate with their hometown school”. When asked for facts or an example, we then get “one kid played a key role for Dowling and graduated from Carlisle”. Well from last year’s Dowling team, there is only 1 senior player on the football roster that was not listed on the commencement roster for Dowling. Unfortunately for the poster, that kid wasn’t recruited from a local district and played all four years at Dowling as he originally attended a very small Christian school in West Des Moines that did not have a football program and like homeschooled kids can play at another school who does have a program. Who knows, he might have gotten 1 thing right. Maybe the kid graduated from Carlisle vs. the Christian school or maybe someone got two diplomas....

There are some Dowling people on the board who are really sensitive. Diabolical lee, I am sorry that I hurt your feelings.

"A bunch of key players coming in every year"
So, pv kids open enroll in bettendorf, but thats differrent thantkids transferring to Dowling? Why? Because it's free?

"on cue" is woodsiding's shorthand for "I have no argument." You public school apologist/whiners are a scream. The Bettendorf school district has the third highest number of open enrollees in the state, which makes up 17% of their entire student body, and you guys come on here and bitch and moan because Dowling has kids transfer in to play. BTW, about 6% of the students in the Cedar Falls district open enroll in, but I'm sure they all avoid sports as well, just like the debaters at Bett.. I could point you to those stats as well, but go ahead and look them up yourself. They are on this thing Al Gore invented called the internet.

Reactions: GoBigD6788
If you've seen the pictures taken that are out on Twitter, you would see that on the last run by Bell, the ball did cross into the white and then he was knocked back by #48. Only has to cross into the white, not stay there. How do you get knocked backwards and still have the ball land on the 1 inch line without having the ball initially crossed the line. Hard to call or see it when the line judge doesn't move with the play and is not in position to see the goal line, he never moved until the play was completely finished and there's multiple pictures and videos that show it. The biggest game changers are the missed 29 yard FG, the blown fumble call, and the TD by Dowling that was an obvious drop and trap right in front of the back judge (plenty of pictures and video to show it). Dowling is an excellent team, but no way the better team on that field.

And to the poster who said Bell's knee was down on the 2nd overtime score, watch the video and you might correct your comment. Ball was extended and crossed the goal line before the knee even hit.

Reactions: Reasoned
"on cue" is woodsiding's shorthand for "I have no argument." You public school apologist/whiners are a scream. The Bettendorf school district has the third highest number of open enrollees in the state, which makes up 17% of their entire student body, and you guys come on here and bitch and moan because Dowling has kids transfer in to play. BTW, about 6% of the students in the Cedar Falls district open enroll in, but I'm sure they all avoid sports as well, just like the debaters at Bett.. I could point you to those stats as well, but go ahead and look them up yourself. They are on this thing Al Gore invented called the internet.

Honestly, I think you and the the other Dowling poster are the only ones crying on here. I don't know what you're crying about. I said Dowling does not cheat, but they are comfortable winning using means I feel devalues their wins. Someone on the internet has a different opinion than yours and now you're pitching your annual tantrum.

The thing is you and oldtimefootball aren't even saying the same thing. You are saying yes we get any player we can, but everyone else is doing it too. (No, they're not.) The other poster is living in a cave saying that Dowling doesn't get players from all over. I'm saying do your thing, just don't expect football fans to be happy about watching them win another title.

Never once did I say Dowling didnt get players. A lot of kids want to play for Dowling. A lot of kids want to play for other schools than there own district. What you were called out for was the obvious bs about Dowling only winning because they use other schools kids who dont even stay to graduate. You dont like Dowling, good for you. You feel better throwing that crap out here, good for you. That's an opinion. Everyone has opinions. You throw garbage out there as facts to make you feel better about a bunch of 17-18 year old kids success, you will get called out.

Who are all the 'mercenary' players at Dowling? Or is it the 'well I know someone who said he knows someone' type of thing? Share some facts if they are out there.

You want to know who doesn't boast constantly about his teams success, gives other teams credit and talks evenly about football.

It is Kid Silverhair who may of went to Xavier. I enjoyed his posts. The same goes from Eastern Iowa Hawk, who I think is out of Dubuque area, Screwloose- maybe Marshalltown? and CF93.

Their opinions may differ from one another, but in the end they all talk about the good and bad in football. I dont think any of them put unwanted pressure for the teams they root for.

Look at the 4A message board and tell me that paticipation has not dwindled. We know how good Dowling and Bettendorf are. However to hear that these teams do this and that, that the posters that back these teams want to rub it all over the faces of others on this board.

Why come here and try to talk football?

Yes, there were multiple officiating errors which benefited Dowling but the special team let downs and interception is on them. That said, Bett still should have been able to overcome and win.

Regarding whatever point VD is trying to push, Bett does NOT recruit. The OE statistics cited (net 450 gain K-12) is mostly from the PV district and frankly, it doesn't matter. One thing is for certain, 100% of the Dowling student body is OE...but then again it has to be.

Last edited:
The key wording there is multiple officiating errors in extremely critical moments and all of them favored Dowling. Good teams can overcome their own mistakes, interception, penalties but to ask them to overcome poor officiating on top of that is ludicrous. Especially when they take great plays away or affect the outcome of an unbelievable game. Hard one to explain to kids when they know it wasn't decided on the field.

Reactions: HAWKAHOLIC#5
Yeah, I don't see anybody coming on here and "rubbing it in people's faces" when certain teams win. I see a ton of people whining about recruiting and unfair private school advantages. Again, if that were the case, how come it started all of a sudden in 2000? Was Dowling not recruiting before? Were they not a private school prior to 2000?

It's whining because Tom Wilson has put together a great program and is winning titles. Where are these mercenaries? You are talking about a handful of players. There are plenty of great football players in the Des Moines parochial football league (and tons of public school kids as well).

Hard one to explain to the kids when they know it wasn't decided on the field? Don't throw an INT when attempting to make a throw out of your own endzone up by 10 with 10 minutes left. Don't give up a 17 point halftime lead. Sorry, but it was decided on the field. Bett had a great season. To complain about its last game lessens that great season. You do not give a team like Dowling any chance to get back into a game like the state semifinal. Regardless of anything else, that team and coaching staff knows how to win in the Dome. And has quite a bit of experience to back that up.

Yeah, I don't see anybody coming on here and "rubbing it in people's faces" when certain teams win. I see a ton of people whining about recruiting and unfair private school advantages. Again, if that were the case, how come it started all of a sudden in 2000? Was Dowling not recruiting before? Were they not a private school prior to 2000?

It's whining because Tom Wilson has put together a great program and is winning titles. Where are these mercenaries? You are talking about a handful of players. There are plenty of great football players in the Des Moines parochial football league (and tons of public school kids as well).

Hard one to explain to the kids when they know it wasn't decided on the field? Don't throw an INT when attempting to make a throw out of your own endzone up by 10 with 10 minutes left. Don't give up a 17 point halftime lead. Sorry, but it was decided on the field. Bett had a great season. To complain about its last game lessens that great season. You do not give a team like Dowling any chance to get back into a game like the state semifinal. Regardless of anything else, that team and coaching staff knows how to win in the Dome. And has quite a bit of experience to back that up.

Just stop! I dont care about Dowling and recruiting.... I care about 3 game changing calls....Not one but at least 3. These were not subjective calls, either. Fumble at end of third quarter wasn't even a tough call. Have the ball on the 25 yd line at the end of third quarter was a huge play to only have it called down and then Dowling punts it 70 yards and flips field and we throw a pick. Pathetic. The kid clearly drops the ball on the 3rd and 8 forcing a 4th down field goal in the third overtime only to have the refs call a catch and a touchdown. Bettendorf scores on the next play. Then the pathetic no touchdown call when photos clearly show that Bell breaks the plane but the ref is way out of position still standing on the 1 yard line. Just sickening and heartbreaking for these kids. I'm not blaming Dowling the team but the refs absolutely cost them this game. They should be banned from never doing this to another team. So sad....

Never once did I say Dowling didnt get players. A lot of kids want to play for Dowling. A lot of kids want to play for other schools than there own district. What you were called out for was the obvious bs about Dowling only winning because they use other schools kids who dont even stay to graduate. You dont like Dowling, good for you. You feel better throwing that crap out here, good for you. That's an opinion. Everyone has opinions. You throw garbage out there as facts to make you feel better about a bunch of 17-18 year old kids success, you will get called out.

https://iowapreps.forums.rivals.com...inal-scores-comments.22115/page-2#post-167724

"These conversations make a person appreciate Xavier a little more. Been following Cedar Rapids football a long time and really can't remember many kids that left their school to go to Xavier. They really do coach and develop their own players. I've also never heard of Xavier players finishing the football season and transferring back to their home school. At Dowling, that's when it really looks like renting talent to win a title, when players get there before their jr year and leave after their senior season to graduate from their hometown school."

If this is the comment that so deeply offended you and resulted in you crying for the last week, I'd strongly encourage you to stay off the internet and find yourself a safe place. Now, get yourself a box of tissues and bear down because I take none of it back.

https://iowapreps.forums.rivals.com...inal-scores-comments.22115/page-2#post-167724

"These conversations make a person appreciate Xavier a little more. Been following Cedar Rapids football a long time and really can't remember many kids that left their school to go to Xavier. They really do coach and develop their own players. I've also never heard of Xavier players finishing the football season and transferring back to their home school. At Dowling, that's when it really looks like renting talent to win a title, when players get there before their jr year and leave after their senior season to graduate from their hometown school."

If this is the comment that so deeply offended you and resulted in you crying for the last week, I'd strongly encourage you to stay off the internet and find yourself a safe place. Now, get yourself a box of tissues and bear down because I take none of it back.

Which player went back to their home school?

Which player went back to their home school?

Exactly, the aspersions are cast with no facts to back it up. Facts or it doesn't happen.

Oh and actual facts, not the 'I heard from someone who knew someone's cousins friend who said so' that's code for 'we can't beat them'

If we were to look at CFs roster this year, I dont think hardly any new faces are on it and if there are I dont think they are starting unless it is at the Soph level.

Im not sure any high school coach goes and sits in a kids livingroom trying to recuit them. I think it is up to the kid and their parents of they want to attend another school.

I was reminded once when CF lost a Semifinal game back in 2007 on a terrible call.

"Good Teams dont let referees decide the game". However in that game, the referees only had to make one mistake and it cost CF the game.

Short of installing instant replay, no one will remember years down the road except Dowling 41 Bettendorf 34 4OT.

I will only say Dowling got the breaks they needed to win the game. Breaks meaning, they were able to score on the oppertunities given to them.

I thought Bettendorf was the better team, they just seemed to come apart at the end of the 3rd QTR. Mostly due to bad decisions and questionable play calling.

You cant fault Dowling for winning, they did what they needed to do. However I think some of the Dowling posters could be a little more graceful in victory.

We all seen the same game. It is what it is.

I was reminded once when CF lost a Semifinal game back in 2007 on a terrible call.

"Good Teams dont let referees decide the game". However in that game, the referees only had to make one mistake and it cost CF the game.

Short of installing instant replay, no one will remember years down the road except Dowling 41 Bettendorf 34 4OT.

I will only say Dowling got the breaks they needed to win the game. Breaks meaning, they were able to score on the oppertunities given to them.

I thought Bettendorf was the better team, they just seemed to come apart at the end of the 3rd QTR. Mostly due to bad decisions and questionable play calling.

You cant fault Dowling for winning, they did what they needed to do. However I think some of the Dowling posters could be a little more graceful in victory.

We all seen the same game. It is what it is.

The game you’re referring to was when the only TD scored all game got called back on an inadvertent whistle. Ruined what had otherwise been one of the best defensive games you’ll ever see too.

Reactions: franky1967
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT