ADVERTISEMENT

Bettendorf vs Dowling

franky1967

Varsity
Aug 9, 2006
Bettendorf scores to go up at least 33-27 in 3ot, then they switch to basketball. I have no faith that the Iowa Athletic Association knows what they are doing

Dowling got some major gift calls from the zebras. They ruled Dowling down late in the 3rd on a play where replays clearly showed he fumbled the ball. One of their TD's passes clearly hit the ground. And then what should have been the tying score in the 4th OT, Bettendorf gets jobbed on the spot, as he broke the plane. And the refs made little effort to close in on the play to get a better look. I get that it's HS, but for this late in the playoffs, you expect a little better work from the zebras.

Dowling got some major gift calls from the zebras. They ruled Dowling down late in the 3rd on a play where replays clearly showed he fumbled the ball. One of their TD's passes clearly hit the ground. And then what should have been the tying score in the 4th OT, Bettendorf gets jobbed on the spot, as he broke the plane. And the refs made little effort to close in on the play to get a better look. I get that it's HS, but for this late in the playoffs, you expect a little better work from the zebras.
Also, the replay they showed on the unsportsmanlike penalty in the 4th qtr when Bettendorf had a fair catch didn’t show anything unsportsmanlike then they missed a face mask on Dowling on Bettendorfs last possession in the 4th on 3rd down. Still, Bettendorf shouldn’t of put themselves in the position to lose.

Are you at the game?

Bettendorf lost the game when they tried to pass out of their own End Zone and it was picked off by Dowling.

Dowling then scored. They had stopped Dowling up to that point and that is what help turn the tide of the game.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Speaking of replay reviews, Bell’s knee is down before the ball crosses the plane in his 2OT touchdown.

Point is: this is high school football and those things don’t get called like the big boys.

Reactions: CFTigers68
Fair enough, but where the boys in Boone totally screwed the pooch was changing the PI rule so it's not an automatic first down, particularly when the foul occurs in the endzone. Statistically, when you score a TD, it's a 1st down too. So why is it not an automatic 1st down when the foul occurs in the endzone?! Granted, the refs called it as it's supposed to be enforced. But it's a terrible rule.

And both teams played under the same rules. I can’t see how any team could be “jobbed” being up 17 at half and 10 points with 10 minutes left to go.

Reactions: CFTigers68
Fair enough, but where the boys in Boone totally screwed the pooch was changing the PI rule so it's not an automatic first down, particularly when the foul occurs in the endzone. Statistically, when you score a TD, it's a 1st down too. So why is it not an automatic 1st down when the foul occurs in the endzone?! Granted, the refs called it as it's supposed to be enforced. But it's a terrible rule.
It’s a national rule not just state of Iowa rule.

I was watching on tv and haven’t seen a replay that shows he was definitely stopped or definitely in. The camera angles weren’t good, do you have pic or link? I wasn’t rooting for either team just watching good football.

I was watching on tv and haven’t seen a replay that shows he was definitely stopped or definitely in. The camera angles weren’t good, do you have pic or link? I wasn’t rooting for either team just watching good football.

On TV, the final TD looks like the right call. Dowling had a td earlier that TV shows pretty clearly hits the turf.

Right, I am sure the kids and staffs from Valley, Waukee, Centennial, Bettendorf, Iowa City West, Johnston and Ankeny would be feeling shameful with a semifinal win like that. I am sure it is meaningless to someone like you...

Right, I am sure the kids and staffs from Valley, Waukee, Centennial, Bettendorf, Iowa City West, Johnston and Ankeny would be feeling shameful with a semifinal win like that. I am sure it is meaningless to someone like you...

Shameful? Interesting, that is your word. I can't speak to why you would go there.

On TV, the final TD looks like the right call. Dowling had a td earlier that TV shows pretty clearly hits the turf.

I seen that Dowling TD Reception and it was not a catch. Again, Bettendorf lost the game. I thought Bettendorf lost the game in the 3rd QTR when they threw that interception deep in their own end of the field.

Franky, agree. Dowling got breaks on missed fumble and questionable td catch. Bett had 2 close td calls, one they got, one they didn’t. 3rd qtr int changed the game.

Reactions: franky1967
Shameful = throwing out unsubstanted bs and not backing up it up. You know the word well...

About kids showing up at Dowling before their jr. year and leaving Dowling after the season? Dowling is made by reaping kids not developing. A kid last year finished the season and went back to Carlisle. Again, I am fine with it. I just think it makes their wins meaningless. If it gives you pride, so be it.

Reactions: LincolntwspFarmer
I was sitting on the goal line exactly and the ball did not appear to break the plane it was a good call. I had no horse in the race I was just waiting for the Cedar Falls game to start.

Reactions: CF_93
I didn’t care who won that one. We showed up and saw the OTs. Bad calls both ways. What’s up with Bettendorf and second halves in the Dome? Wilted against CF in week 4 in the second half.

About kids showing up at Dowling before their jr. year and leaving Dowling after the season? Dowling is made by reaping kids not developing. A kid last year finished the season and went back to Carlisle. Again, I am fine with it. I just think it makes their wins meaningless. If it gives you pride, so be it.
In 2017 - 2018 the Bettendorf school district had 719 students open enroll in from other school districts. Thank God none of them played football or they might have won that game last night!

In 2017 - 2018 the Bettendorf school district had 719 students open enroll in from other school districts. Thank God none of them played football or they might have won that game last night!
719? I’d like to see that information, for any or all schools. Not calling bs, but kind of

Reactions: HAWKAHOLIC#5
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT