ADVERTISEMENT

Bettendorf vs Dowling

Which player went back to their home school?

Exactly, the aspersions are cast with no facts to back it up. Facts or it doesn't happen.

Oh and actual facts, not the 'I heard from someone who knew someone's cousins friend who said so' that's code for 'we can't beat them'

2 examples:
State track meet, I am talking to a Dowling coach, I ask about a football player and if he runs track. No, he doesn't even go to dowling anymore is the reply.

Summer 7 on 7, in between games bunch of people standing around talking, a few different schools inluding Dowling. A guy from a DM area team says that they thought they had a shot beating the Dowling sophs, then laughs and says I'm sure you'll find some upgrades. Dowling coach laughs and says, "they find us."

This is not a secret, nor is it cheating. Why are you two so sensitive about it? I'm not. I'm not calling for rules changes, I'm not denying that Dowling is a heck of team with a great staff. I'm simply saying that I don't respect the way they do it.

2 examples:
State track meet, I am talking to a Dowling coach, I ask about a football player and if he runs track. No, he doesn't even go to dowling anymore is the reply.

Summer 7 on 7, in between games bunch of people standing around talking, a few different schools inluding Dowling. A guy from a DM area team says that they thought they had a shot beating the Dowling sophs, then laughs and says I'm sure you'll find some upgrades. Dowling coach laughs and says, "they find us."

This is not a secret, nor is it cheating. Why are you two so sensitive about it? I'm not. I'm not calling for rules changes, I'm not denying that Dowling is a heck of team with a great staff. I'm simply saying that I don't respect the way they do it.

I am not sensitive about it. There are simply things like you mentioned above, 'this one guy' or a coach smiling and throwing out some vague unsubstantiated claim. My kids had a teammate who transferred in from a public, won his state championship and transferred back the next Wednesday. He was recorded his senior year saying 'way better than being a Regal' it goes both ways. My youngest son was fairly aggressively recruited by one of the public schools in town. It goes both ways and most of it is done by parents. Dowling is probably just a little higher profile.

Championships are decided on the field. Bettendorf lost. Dowling won. On the field. Constantly whining that the referees caused "the better team" to lose doesn't change that result.

No. Pretty much by definition the winning team is the better team, at least at that time and place. Dowling won, end of argument. Everything else is just whining.

No. Pretty much by definition the winning team is the better team, at least at that time and place. Dowling won, end of argument. Everything else is just whining.

Then you dont understand football and the mechanics of it. However that does take alot of time to aquire and try to comprehend.

Ive seen alot of better teams lose, now maybe Dowling just took along time to get things going and perhaps there size and depth started wearing them down.

However it just took one mistake by Bettendorf in the 3rd Qtr. To get Dowling going, which Bettendorf fans agree that was the start of the end.

Had the refs been a little more aggressive one Dowling reception for a TD would not have been called.

Even if the touchdown would been ruled incomplete, that does not mean Bettendorf would have went on to win the game, but it didnt help Bettendorf either.

If it was one mistake it could be chalked up as just part of football, but it was 4 major referee blunders. The biggest one was the ruling on the 100%, no questions asked fumble, not the Int. Even someone who doesn't know football saw that one. The fumble stops any momentum Dowling had from Betts missed FGs and the kickoff return. Unfortunately, that screw up cost a major field position change due to the next play a field changing punt with a penalty added on. After that play, the field never flipped and forced Bett to play on their side of the field the rest of the game. Cap that off with penalties on a great punt return to midfield by Bell and on the kickoff after the 2nd Dowling TD. Add them all up and now it's overtime. Don't get it started on that again because those unbelievable errors caused the better team to be watching the game on TV tomorrow. Hands down, the better team with the better athletes is not playing CF. Fortunately, a good portion of those kids (much more than the other team) will be playing on Saturdays so their careers aren't over because of that travesty.

If it was one mistake it could be chalked up as just part of football, but it was 4 major referee blunders. The biggest one was the ruling on the 100%, no questions asked fumble, not the Int. Even someone who doesn't know football saw that one. The fumble stops any momentum Dowling had from Betts missed FGs and the kickoff return. Unfortunately, that screw up cost a major field position change due to the next play a field changing punt with a penalty added on. After that play, the field never flipped and forced Bett to play on their side of the field the rest of the game. Cap that off with penalties on a great punt return to midfield by Bell and on the kickoff after the 2nd Dowling TD. Add them all up and now it's overtime. Don't get it started on that again because those unbelievable errors caused the better team to be watching the game on TV tomorrow. Hands down, the better team with the better athletes is not playing CF. Fortunately, a good portion of those kids (much more than the other team) will be playing on Saturdays so their careers aren't over because of that travesty.

I am totally agree with you

Yes, this right here.. Well said. The other thing that bothered me was not getting together as a referee team and discussing the calls. They were really old and way out of shape. Just embarrassing and sad.

Franky,
I suspect I know a lot more about football than you ever will. The best team always wins. The best at that time and place. That is the point of the contest. Anything else is double speak nonsense.

Explain that to 17-18 year old boys who know that the referees incompetence greatly affected the ultimate outcome of the Bett-Dowling game. Easy for 30 to 50 year old men or someone who thinks they know football (no names) to say "overcome it, good teams do and the better team always wins", but it's hard enough to beat a multiple time state champ without 4 obvious major errors affecting the game. Especially when one of the boys is "100%" that he scored (saw the ball cross the goal line on the last play with his own eyes because he was carrying it) and the referee isn't even close to being in position to see it. As they always say, "the eye in the sky don't lie" and the proof is out there in pictures and video. Keep denying it, but tonight's game is not being played by the two best teams in the state this year. Enjoy the game because Dowling shouldn't be there this year. CF is one heck of a team and completely earned the right to walk on that field.

You're right. We should skip the games and just vote on the best teams. And give plenty of participation trophys. None of this pesky winning and losing.

You're right. We should skip the games and just vote on the best teams. And give plenty of participation trophys. None of this pesky winning and losing.

I think you're mixing up the definition of "best" with the definition of "victor." I see your point - two teams meet in a contest, one of them wins, doesn't that make them the "best" in that instant? - but it's not really valid as an overall measuring stick.

We can all agree that upsets happen. Teams that on paper have no reason to think they measure up to their opponent can sometimes win, whether it be through mistakes by the other team, weather conditions, officiating problems, just playing lights-out over your head, or a combination. Most people would not say that makes the underdog the "best" team of the two, just that they were able to win that game on that day. That's why we call them "upsets."

And that's how sports works! You take the winner of the game and they're the winner. Whether or not that means they're "better" overall than the team they beat is a matter of opinion; most people wouldn't always agree with that point. But yes, it does mean the team that won did a better job or took advantage of their opportunities than the team that lost.

(This factors into my thoughts on expanding the college football playoffs to something ridiculous like 16 or even 64; a playoff system will not always end up with the "best" team winning it all. Weird things happen, teams get upset, unexpected results put "weaker" teams into winning spots. A playoff doesn't get you the "best" team as the champion; it gets you a champion that won their way through the playoff. I argue those aren't necessarily the same things.)

Reactions: franky1967
Franky,
I suspect I know a lot more about football than you ever will. The best team always wins. The best at that time and place. That is the point of the contest. Anything else is double speak nonsense.

Hardly, I could write a history book about Dowling that would make your head spin. I have forgotten more than you will ever know or pretend to know.

Reactions: CF_93
Franky,
Most of the statements in this thread make my head spin. I learned all kinds of things in this thread I didn't know before. I always thought that the way you ranked teams was by the score of the game. Turns out that isn't true. You can score less points but be the better team. Apparently the games don't matter. Wow.
If you know anything about Dowling football, I probably know you. But from what I've seen in this thread you don't.

Franky,
Most of the statements in this thread make my head spin. I learned all kinds of things in this thread I didn't know before. I always thought that the way you ranked teams was by the score of the game. Turns out that isn't true. You can score less points but be the better team. Apparently the games don't matter. Wow.
If you know anything about Dowling football, I probably know you. But from what I've seen in this thread you don't.

You are just not worth the conversation. Maybe when you are willing to have a conversation about the good things Dowling has done then people will respect your opinion.

There is no sense in anyone knocking two great programs like Dowling and Bettendorf.
More so because none of us played in the game.

I wasn't knocking either team. I was responding to all of the "better team lost", "Dowling doesn't belong" nonsense. Sure calls can influence a game. Sure, if Dowling and Bettendorf played again Bettendorf might well win. But they did play and Dowling won.

I wasn't knocking either team. I was responding to all of the "better team lost", "Dowling doesn't belong" nonsense. Sure calls can influence a game. Sure, if Dowling and Bettendorf played again Bettendorf might well win. But they did play and Dowling won.

Why are you attacking me? I said Dowling did what it had to do to win the game with the oppertunities Bettendorf gave them.

Come on, now that you guys have won and it's all over, congrats. You can now admit that the Bettendorf game was a complete gift and the CF game was won on CF special teams mistakes not anything that Dowling did terrific to win other than make a stops in the last 2 series. Most games are not won, they are lost. Either by mistakes or as we saw in the semis, horrific errors by the stripes. Enjoy it and savior it, but know it was given not taken.

Yep, I hope they still give Dowling the Trophy after the refs won the Bettendorf game for them and CF’s beat themselves...maybe the state can have a “do over” championship game for the two “best” teams in the state that both lost to Dowling. Participation Trophy Bowl?

Dowling defense made CF one dimensional. Dowling defense held CF to 3 points in the last 3 quarters and 20 points below their average for the season.

Dowling offense line wore CF down to nothing by the 4th quarter. Scored 3 td’s with a backup rb.

Dowling capitalized on getting their special team mistake by CF. CF did nothing with their special team gift.

Yes, congratulations Dowling! 6 in a row is an amazing accomplishment.

Last edited:
"Bettendorf fans, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Reactions: oldtimefootball
gatorbait- not quite sure what lense you watch a game through other than being on the bandwagon. Dowling in the semi-final and the championship game were like pneumonia, just be there when the other team implodes or gets an advantage by the ineptitude of other people. They absolutely did nothing to garner those opportunities other than have 11 guys on the field on defense or punt return. Good for them for taking advantage. The backup RB for Dowling did an adequate job (nothing spectacular) of managing the run game, heck he only averaged 4.3 a carry and the Dowling OL did not wear down the CF DL, heck their longest drive in the 2nd half was a measily 42 yards off a bad punt due to a poor snap. Instead, CF quit stunting their defensive line and switching gaps and tried to go toe to toe with Dowling's OL, which allowed Dowling to get 2 hats on Jack Campbell at times in the run game. Cap that all off with CF doing the same thing Bettendorf did in the 4th quarter, get very conservative and hope to run the clock out. Dowling did nothing to make them one dimensional, CF just didn't have a plan to get Wolf the ball in the slot. I will continue to point that CF had one of the best kids in the state and "forgot" to get him the ball, never want to look at the box score and see that you didn't target your best player!! Enjoy the trophy because it is yours but understand how you got it!!

gatorbait- not quite sure what lense you watch a game through other than being on the bandwagon. Dowling in the semi-final and the championship game were like pneumonia, just be there when the other team implodes or gets an advantage by the ineptitude of other people. They absolutely did nothing to garner those opportunities other than have 11 guys on the field on defense or punt return. Good for them for taking advantage. The backup RB for Dowling did an adequate job (nothing spectacular) of managing the run game, heck he only averaged 4.3 a carry and the Dowling OL did not wear down the CF DL, heck their longest drive in the 2nd half was a measily 42 yards off a bad punt due to a poor snap. Instead, CF quit stunting their defensive line and switching gaps and tried to go toe to toe with Dowling's OL, which allowed Dowling to get 2 hats on Jack Campbell at times in the run game. Cap that all off with CF doing the same thing Bettendorf did in the 4th quarter, get very conservative and hope to run the clock out. Dowling did nothing to make them one dimensional, CF just didn't have a plan to get Wolf the ball in the slot. I will continue to point that CF had one of the best kids in the state and "forgot" to get him the ball, never want to look at the box score and see that you didn't target your best player!! Enjoy the trophy because it is yours but understand how you got it!!

1). I'm not on the Dowling "bandwagon". I'm on the "bandwagon" of not going around telling young kids that it's everyone else's fault but their own that they lost. Was it totally the kids fault...no....but should they accept some blame....yes.

2). You keep pointing out flaws that the coaching staff on CF kept making through out the game. I don't disagree. But, you disregard that the coaching staff is apart of the TEAM. "CF stopped doing this...and that....and this..."....who cares...they stopped doing it...therefore they lost.

3). You want people to ultimately believe that CF and Bettendorf had "better" players yet the referees and coaching gave the title to Dowling. If you want to believe that....cool. But I feel bad that kids have to hear the sick rhetoric that they should have ZERO accountability in the loss. Who made CF's QB throw the ball into triple coverage after the Dowling botched punt? The coach? The refs? Neither. The kid tried to make a big play and he fell short. But keep telling yourself and him that the specific play had zero affect on the game.

#WelcomeToAmerica

Love the tough guy mentality from a guy who probably watched the games from outside the lines. Not one person has stated that the CF players didn't ultimately lose that game. Never saw that out there. Peace out... enjoy the moment.

So, in sum, cf had better athletes but because of dumb mental errors and a coach not up to the task, they lost to a more focused team that didn't make mistakes and had smarter coaches. And you think that "explanation" somehow cheapens Dowling's victory? Do you have any concept of how team sports work?

Last edited:
I agree 100% with that total summation of team discipline and sports in general. So with that out there, please explain how Dowling even got to that championship game and how that terrific explanation fits into the equation in the Bettendorf game?? Gonna be hard to stay true to that explanation without admitting that that game ultimately was handed to them, not by making discipline plays or staying focused, but by the grace off a obvious fumble that changed the whole complexion of the game, an obvious dropped TD catch that allowed Dowling not to kick a FG on that possession and Bettendorf scores a TD on their chance (would have been game over), and the TD on last play that was an obvious miss by the line judge. You and everyone can argue it with this and that, but if those "easy" calls are made correctly as they should have been, they are not even there.

Reactions: HAWKAHOLIC#5
You can always find excuses for losing. For Bettendorf, its easier to point to some calls going against them in OT than to face the fact they were up 17-0 on Dowling at halftime but were shut out and pissed it down their collective legs in the second half. If only Bett had played competent football in the second half - as they should have -- they don't need OT. But if my Aunt had balls she would be my Uncle, and if Bett had any balls in the second half they might have won.

And in the 4th OT, that QB was not in.

Have a great off season!

Just look out on Twitter for all the of the fumble and the TD at the end of 4th overtime pictures and Matt Randazzo has the video link of the dropped pass. Or just watch the game replay. Even the announcers of the game say it plain as day. So obvious and Absolute joke!

The only solace is that "multiple" guys on the Bettendorf team will be playing on Saturdays and all you guys can watch and follow them on TV as they do well at the collegiate level. Can't say the same for the other team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT