ADVERTISEMENT

1A Playoff contest

They must have one heckuva open enrollment program at the kindergarten level. Given that is the only class allowed open enrollment in VM.

They had 190 kids open enroll just in kindergarten? Or is it once they open enroll at the kindergarten level they get to stay open enrolled during their k-12 time?

The other comment would be ‘look at them keep their class size down so they could stay in 1A, it’s not fair being that close to a metro area’

I want to make sure I get all the correct talking points when there is a team that appears to be far better than the class. Can’t be talent, hard work and coaching.

They must have one heckuva open enrollment program at the kindergarten level. Given that is the only class allowed open enrollment in VM.

They didn't start capping open enrollment until fairly recently. Van Meter is seeing excess kids from Waukee that got there prior to the new high school being built. It's the 1A Waukee spillover school.

May 23, 2016: "VAN METER, Iowa — As the suburbs continue to grow, neighboring school districts are beginning to see the effects.

One school district could soon take action to keep their small class sizes intact.

That’s one of the biggest draws to the Van Meter School District. Class sizes are in the high teens and low twenties. But some parents are deciding to open-enroll their kids from neighboring districts.

“One year they had a situation where my son started and then maybe two weeks later they had to split up the classes to add another class. But otherwise I feel they’ve done a great job adding teachers as time’s gone on to make sure they’ve been giving everyone the attention they need,” said Lorrie Roberts, parent.

With too many students enrolling in and not enough students enrolling out, Superintendent Deron Durflinger says the school is considering capping their open enrollment numbers.

“We pick up kids as they go. For example, last year’s graduating class had 32 when they started kindergarten and graduated with 59,” said Durflinger.

Van Meter is seeing the most open enrollment from Waukee schools with 62 students choosing their district. Next is Adel-Desoto-Minburn with 46.

Parents and administrators feel the second high school being built in Waukee will help relieve some of the pressure, but they are paying close attention to ADM’s growth rate, which has increased by 200 students since 2010.

That means more students are likely to open enroll to a smaller school.

https://who13.com/news/van-meter-schools-could-curb-open-enrollment/

Hard fought championship game. VM wins it, 17-14.

Turning the page to 2022, what do people have as an early top 5 for 1A?

Hard fought championship game. VM wins it, 17-14.

Turning the page to 2022, what do people have as an early top 5 for 1A?

Real quick look at returning rosters, My top ten:

West Sioux
Beckman
Van Meter
Western Christian
Underwood
Pella Christian
Regina
South Central Calhoun
Mepo
West Branch

That was after a real quick look

West Sioux will be a heavy favorite

Regin graduates their entire OL. Don't fret. I'm sure the Catholic School Portal will pay dividends. Tipton have any other kids they can grab?

West Sioux will be a heavy favorite

Regin graduates their entire OL. Don't fret. I'm sure the Catholic School Portal will pay dividends. Tipton have any other kids they can grab?
Heard they were looking at going to recruit Van Meter but those kids had a better NIL set up.

Congrats to GoEagles23

Final Standings
13: GoEagles23
12: MepoDawg#, MsideChief, janklow
11: PNation
10: Hawkhopeful, rc1963
8: cypower1, AllStateSnub8, WBBearsFollower,
7: GOPANTHERS23, Huehney
6: NWIowaSioux
5: Prancing Ponies, Hooper2021, GitRDone_51
4: IGo42
3: Foxmanhawk
2: takedown27

Congrats to GoEagles23

Final Standings
13: GoEagles23
12: MepoDawg#, MsideChief, janklow
11: PNation
10: Hawkhopeful, rc1963
8: cypower1, AllStateSnub8, WBBearsFollower,
7: GOPANTHERS23, Huehney
6: NWIowaSioux
5: Prancing Ponies, Hooper2021, GitRDone_51
4: IGo42
3: Foxmanhawk
2: takedown27
Thank you.

My strategy was a two-part plan:

1 Don't suck
2 Pick teams at the end of the alphabet

2022 pick: West Sioux (if healthy) is your 1A State Champion

Thank you.

My strategy was a two-part plan:

1 Don't suck
2 Pick teams at the end of the alphabet

2022 pick: West Sioux (if healthy) is your 1A State Champion
I agree, watching West Sioux battle Van Meter there's no doubt they are a title contender for 2022 (especially considering how many guys they have coming back).

What other teams have a significant amount of starters returning in 2022? I know eastern Iowa better than western Iowa. Beckman will lose a bunch of good seniors but still return several All District selections (including the QB and 3 big physical linemen).
Denver's QB and RB are both juniors, but they lose a lot of their linemen.
MFL graduates two 1,000 yd rushers, but returns QB and most (if not all their OL).
Dike returns their RB and a kid that leads 1A in tackles, but not sure who else returns.
Cascade has a very good RB that went for 1,600 yds as a soph and 1,000 as a junior returning, but lose QB and several starting linemen.
Wat. Columbus graduates most of their skill guys, but returns a couple good linemen, a good LB and their top WR.
Regina loses all their linemen (except the center) but returns both QB's and their RB.
West Branch returns a good QB and RB combo, and Durant returns DeLong who is a beast and will probably play D1 football somewhere.

Someone chime in if they know more about their local 1A teams.

Last edited:
I agree, watching West Sioux battle Van Meter there's no doubt they are a title contender for 2022 (especially considering how many guys they have coming back).

What other teams have a significant amount of starters returning in 2022? I know eastern Iowa better than western Iowa. Beckman will lose a bunch of good seniors but still return several All District selections (including the QB and 3 big physical linemen).
Denver's QB and RB are both juniors, but they lose a lot of their linemen.
MFL graduates two 1,000 yd rushers, but returns QB and most (if not all their OL).
Dike returns their RB and a kid that leads 1A in tackles, but not sure who else returns.
Cascade has a very good RB that went for 1,600 yds as a soph and 1,000 as a junior returning, but lose QB and several starting linemen.
Wat. Columbus graduates most of their skill guys, but returns a couple good linemen, a good LB and their top WR.
Regina loses all their linemen (except the center) but returns both QB's and their RB.
West Branch returns a good QB and RB combo, and Durant returns DeLong who is a beast and will probably play D1 football somewhere.

Someone chime in if they know more about their local 1A teams.
Mepo’s Seniors
RB/CB (wing back) 2nd leading rusher, leading receiver, leading returner, many kicked away from Isley though
CB, started mostly, but was subbed out some
OL/DL
OL/LB
OL/DL

Defensively I think we’ll be fine, had some younger kids playing at the end of the year with injuries including a freshman linebacker in the playoff game. We have some solid backups for defense. The main issue will be OL, we weren’t big this year, depending on kids growth will probably be smaller next year on the OL. Good skill position players back with good backups waiting. Will be interesting to see if there are any position changes or formation changes.

I see our district being the same top 4, but could be different order. Mepo needs to be more consistent. Their ups and downs were dramatic, improve that and improve their placing.

I see our district being the same top 4, but could be different order. Mepo needs to be more consistent. Their ups and downs were dramatic, improve that and improve their placing.
West Branch may get back into the top spot. They'll return a boatload. Although, you can never count out the Regals and the Catholic Transfer Portal.

Mepo could be sneaky good. Isley can play. Durant will be in games. DeLong is a D1 player.

West Branch may get back into the top spot. They'll return a boatload. Although, you can never count out the Regals and the Catholic Transfer Portal.

Mepo could be sneaky good. Isley can play. Durant will be in games. DeLong is a D1 player.

That's your second unprovoked shot at Regina within the last week. WB has no high ground to bring up transfers since they went about 5 years bringing in QB transfers.
The Regina JV team went 7-1 this year and was up 38-0 on West Branch at halftime, so they shouldn't need any additional help it seems.

That's your second unprovoked shot at Regina within the last week. WB has no high ground to bring up transfers since they went about 5 years bringing in QB transfers.
The Regina JV team went 7-1 this year and was up 38-0 on West Branch at halftime, so they shouldn't need any additional help it seems.

I am guessing the team they support doesn’t typically fare well against Regina. Oh and has little to no clue on how rampant recruiting/open enrollment is for public schools/

You dont have to recruit when you are good. people just want to send their kids there because success is being taught. when a football team is good it isnt only that they have the best talent...... its that they work hard in the off season, they are coached well, they believe in each other, and they want to be part of something bigger than themselves. If you dont like that some schools get more kids than others, for whatever reason..... get better, work harder....focus on you. I am going off this forum because I am tired of the cry babies from west branch and regina. which is odd because both have nothing to cry about with their respective programs. No one is ever going to be able to stop a family/kid from choosing where to go to school. but yet the whining and complaining continues. just pull up your big boy britches and get better. AND please please remember that while the wins and losses are accounted for on the score board and in the media, football lessons learned by our youth will long outpace the score of any game. my two cents....im out!

Fair enough. But, let the record show I did not bring it up, and let the first insult pass in post #169, only responding when the same person brought it up a second time.

You dont have to recruit when you are good. people just want to send their kids there because success is being taught. when a football team is good it isnt only that they have the best talent...... its that they work hard in the off season, they are coached well, they believe in each other, and they want to be part of something bigger than themselves. If you dont like that some schools get more kids than others, for whatever reason..... get better, work harder....focus on you. I am going off this forum because I am tired of the cry babies from west branch and regina. which is odd because both have nothing to cry about with their respective programs. No one is ever going to be able to stop a family/kid from choosing where to go to school. but yet the whining and complaining continues. just pull up your big boy britches and get better. AND please please remember that while the wins and losses are accounted for on the score board and in the media, football lessons learned by our youth will long outpace the score of any game. my two cents....im out!

Wish you wouldn’t go. Not sure how Regina got lumped in as ‘cry baby’. In general my responses address the people crying about Regina and not recognizing the attributes you mention in your first paragraph. If my responses contributed to your decision to depart my apologies. I struggle to ignore the uneducated, misinformed and posts that are flat out lies that take away from kids learning the lessons that you espouse.

Reactions: Pinehawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT