ADVERTISEMENT

1A

IGo42

Freshman
Sep 10, 2019
Nobody is talking about 1A? Lets get some thoughts on some teams. I haven't heard a peep about West Sioux, they have been regulars in the Dome for several years. I know they lost a lot to graduation but they aren't even ranked in the top 10??

All I've heard about in western Iowa is Underwood. Eastern Iowa has several quality teams (Grundy, MFL, Sig-Keota, West Branch, Regina).

West Branch has a tough non conference slate starting tonight with a Top 5 3A Williamsburg. WB will be stout, will run the ball well and defense will be strength. Not sure what to expect from their passing game. I’m sure Pinehawk knows all tho, he is the village idiot😉

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
West Branch has a tough non conference slate starting tonight with a Top 5 3A Williamsburg. WB will be stout, will run the ball well and defense will be strength. Not sure what to expect from their passing game. I’m sure Pinehawk knows all tho, he is the village idiot😉
Pine, how are the coaches boy's. Heard the numbers are down at regina U and that depth is a concern? That senior class has been touted for quite some time now

Regiina looked sharp tonight. QB is much improved. Receivers looked great. Line play and defense looked good. But, WL is really bad this year.

Watched West Branch get embarrassed by Williamsburg on KCRG after the Regina game.
It was 42-0 in the 2nd quarter. WB doesn’t know what to do with their QB situation. They didn’t look as good as I thought they would. But, Williamsburg is very good.

If you are taking anything away from that regina game you are truly jaded. Oh wait, it's @Pinehawk talking. Glad to see the coach keeps swearing profusely at his players for no reason.

That west liberty team might be one of the worst in the state.

• Sad
Reactions: Pinehawk
If you are taking anything away from that regina game you are truly jaded. Oh wait, it's @Pinehawk talking. Glad to see the coach keeps swearing profusely at his players for no reason.

That west liberty team might be one of the worst in the state.
Truly jaded…. Solid work

That Williamsburg team is a great team. They should be playing for a 3A title this year. Did I expect WB to win, No. I know it was a super emotional game for a lot of them being the first game in 40 years without Butch. I’m sure the kids felt like they let him down, but they didn’t. He would be proud they competed the whole game. I was however disappointed in the O-line play. Thought they came out timid and looked tired most of the game. I kinda figured they would take some steps back in the passing game. I think this game was a great learning experience for WB. They will not face a better team all year. I think they will have a great week of practice and bounce back next week at home. Still think they’re the favorite in the district.

It is tough to read much into it after just 1 game. West Sioux was being overlooked by everyone again. Underwood must be pretty solid after losing to VM by 7. However, on that crappy Underwood field, who know how that affected the game. I agree, MFL might be the team to beat in the east.

That Williamsburg team is a great team. They should be playing for a 3A title this year. Did I expect WB to win, No. I know it was a super emotional game for a lot of them being the first game in 40 years without Butch. I’m sure the kids felt like they let him down, but they didn’t. He would be proud they competed the whole game. I was however disappointed in the O-line play. Thought they came out timid and looked tired most of the game. I kinda figured they would take some steps back in the passing game. I think this game was a great learning experience for WB. They will not face a better team all year. I think they will have a great week of practice and bounce back next week at home. Still think they’re the favorite in the district.
Tough to learn a lot in that situation. Always expecting that voice that isn’t there. They will bounce back with a vengeance.

Tough to learn a lot in that situation. Always expecting that voice that isn’t there. They will bounce back with a vengeance.
Not even the incomparable Coach Pedersen would've stopped the Raiders last night. I went to the game. They are a problem for 3A teams. QB Cockerill is very good. 6 TD in first half. They have a bunch of weapons. Bears have a good front line. Gonna have to find a passing game.

4A #1 CR Xavier vs 3A #2 Williamsburg might be the best game in all of Iowa this season.

Not even the incomparable Coach Pedersen would've stopped the Raiders last night. I went to the game. They are a problem for 3A teams. QB Cockerill is very good. 6 TD in first half. They have a bunch of weapons. Bears have a good front line. Gonna have to find a passing game.

4A #1 CR Xavier vs 3A #2 Williamsburg might be the best game in all of Iowa this season.
That should be a battle.

williamsburg sure has a beautiful field
And a ridiculou$ly giving community. They also built an All-Purpose indoor facility on campus. Raider$ practiced inside all week.

A medical facility gave $100,000 to get the facility started.

Arguably the best facilities in Eastern Iowa.

West Sioux will not be who they have been. HMS is going to be not good this year graduating a million kids last year and 2 D1 athletes + a few more college football players. So that score doesn't mean much.

West Sioux's program will have them competitive though. Time will tell.

West Sioux will not be who they have been. HMS is going to be not good this year graduating a million kids last year and 2 D1 athletes + a few more college football players. So that score doesn't mean much.

West Sioux's program will have them competitive though. Time will tell.
It just seems like most years those schools are so far away, so they don't get near the attention. They usually graduate studs but they just develop others. Not sure how good they are, but I will not sell them short either.

I feel bad for 1A-3. That district is going to be a brawl! As stated earlier, MFL returns a lot from last years deep playoff team. Dike, who I thought might take a slight step back, gave Grundy all they could handle. Denver has a huge line and powerful backs, and whooped up on New Hampton. Sumner outlasted a very strong East Buc team and looks to be a lot more balanced on offense this year with a strong defense. AP is always tough and should have a good team. Even Central Springs destroyed a Mason City Newman team 32-8. MFL is consistently ranked in the top 5, but I have seen 3 different polls that have 4 other district teams in the top 10, and none of the were Denver, are will be a very difficult out. Not sure what the state was thinking putting potentially 5 top ten 10 in the same district. Feel bad for those that are deserving but won't get a chance to make the playoffs and winners will likely be beat up at end of season after this cage match of a district.

Reactions: IGo42
I feel bad for 1A-3. That district is going to be a brawl! As stated earlier, MFL returns a lot from last years deep playoff team. Dike, who I thought might take a slight step back, gave Grundy all they could handle. Denver has a huge line and powerful backs, and whooped up on New Hampton. Sumner outlasted a very strong East Buc team and looks to be a lot more balanced on offense this year with a strong defense. AP is always tough and should have a good team. Even Central Springs destroyed a Mason City Newman team 32-8. MFL is consistently ranked in the top 5, but I have seen 3 different polls that have 4 other district teams in the top 10, and none of the were Denver, are will be a very difficult out. Not sure what the state was thinking putting potentially 5 top ten 10 in the same district. Feel bad for those that are deserving but won't get a chance to make the playoffs and winners will likely be beat up at end of season after this cage match of a district.
I do agree that the top 4 in that district are better than any other. However, other than MFL do they have a title contender? I do not know them well enough to answer that. I do not think Dike doing that well against Grundy means they are great yet. Grundy have a lot back from the title team last year but facing 1A this year will be different. I would not be surprised if they did not win their district. East side of the state is wide open and may have 7 of the 10 best teams in the state. However, the west may have the real title contenders.

I do agree that the top 4 in that district are better than any other. However, other than MFL do they have a title contender? I do not know them well enough to answer that. I do not think Dike doing that well against Grundy means they are great yet. Grundy have a lot back from the title team last year but facing 1A this year will be different. I would not be surprised if they did not win their district. East side of the state is wide open and may have 7 of the 10 best teams in the state. However, the west may have the real title contenders.
Yeah, can't argue with that. I don't see a state champion coming from that district, but will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I believe Grundy beat Dike more handily last year however.

With Williamsburg I believe that Austin Blythe's grandpa sold his seed corn company out to one of the big guys and he has donated a ton to the school as well.

Looking ahead to tomorrow, (using the DM Reg rankings and BC Moore lines, rounded up)

GC favored over AP by 10 - 68% prob
MFL favored over Waukon by 30 -93%
Underwood favored over Kuemper by 12 - 72%
South Hamilton favored over West Marshall by 13 - 73%
W'loo Columbus favored over Durant by 33 - 95%
Regina favored over Mid Prairie by 25 - 89%
S-K 12 pt underdog to Mepo - 71%
ASHTW favored over Oakland Riverside (A) by 21
WB 5 pt underdog to DNH - 59%

I don't like BC Moore for rankings, but I do for matchup analysis - the obvious problem is there's not much data to go on at this point in the season. But it gives an idea of the matchups

If everything goes as predicted, S-K, WB and AP would drop out of the rankings - Who would step in? DNH? Would everyone else just step up a notch? Anybody suffer if they don't win as big as expected?

IAFootball on FB has a little different spin on their ranking - OABCIG 3rd, W Sioux 4th could they make a Register appearance with wins? OABCIG is 8th on Radio Iowa and 10th Gazette. PC is also on the Gazette and IA Football polls.

Holy cow, some of those spreads are high. I don't see MFL beating Waukon by 30, Waukon is a proud 2A program that has won multiple state titles in the last decade, that one will be much closer IMO. I could see West Marshall beating South Hamilton, Nevada thumped West Marshal last week (but Nevada is very good), and South Hamilton barely got by South Hardin last week.
I see West Branch and DNH as a toss up.

Last edited:
Holy cow, some of those spreads are high. I don't see MFL beating Waukon by 30, Waukon is a proud 2A program that has won multiple state titles in the last decade, that one will be much closer IMO. I know Durant lost DeLong to graduation, but Wat Columbus by 33?
I see West Branch and DNH as a toss up.
Agree, since those are entirely computer generated, I think they suffer from lack of early season information.

I think W'loo columbus got a big statistical boost with a big win over Beckman last week. Another big win would mean they're for real.

I give the edge to DNH. I know WB had a really tough matchup last week, but given they must have scored after Williamsburg called the dogs off, and they still only went 2/10 passing has to have Bears fans really concerned. I'm sure some of it was getting punched in the face from the beginning and possibly an off night (for all the obvious reasons). So, not saying they're overrated, just saying they need to step up and prove something this week if they want to stay in the conversation.
I don't know a bunch about S-K other than my own bias. Seems like they are always in the mix...until they aren't. Frankly I think Mepo rolls bigger in that one.
P-C looked like an up and coming team last year. I don't think we've heard the last of them yet.

Agree, since those are entirely computer generated, I think they suffer from lack of early season information.

It says exactly that on BCMoore's website. Previous year data is included in decreasing quantities until about week 4.

I think W'loo columbus got a big statistical boost with a big win over Beckman last week. Another big win would mean they're for real.

I give the edge to DNH. I know WB had a really tough matchup last week, but given they must have scored after Williamsburg called the dogs off, and they still only went 2/10 passing has to have Bears fans really concerned. I'm sure some of it was getting punched in the face from the beginning and possibly an off night (for all the obvious reasons). So, not saying they're overrated, just saying they need to step up and prove something this week if they want to stay in the conversation.
I don't know a bunch about S-K other than my own bias. Seems like they are always in the mix...until they aren't. Frankly I think Mepo rolls bigger in that one.
P-C looked like an up and coming team last year. I don't think we've heard the last of them yet.
I think Columbus is pretty good starting with their lineman Mason Knipp. The kid had 98 Tackles last year as in interior lineman. S-K usually starts slow but by mid season will be in form. It may be a strange offense but I can see that it takes a while for everyone to be on the same page.Still too early to get a great read on DNH and WB. P-C lost all the linemen receivers and QB from last year. The next 2 weeks will tell a lot going against PCM (2A) and Grundy.

Reactions: rc1963
At least they upgraded the food option for the fan$ that $it there
Was this meant to be a subtle insult that they have a fundraiser, and it makes you mad?
Digging deep for things to be outraged about I guess.

Wow, you turned full Regina hater. lol.
Nah, just like keeping these threads going and get folks worked up. But honestly I don't think Regina is that good this year. They should be but they have no depth and I think the coaching staff will get in their own way. I know a bit about the dynamics there.

Let's talk football.
Any scores surprise you.
S-K won handily over Mepo, Dike over W Branch, S Hamilton big over West Marshall.

I drove up to Waukon and watched MFL beat up Waukon. MFL was up 34-0 going into the 4th quarter and played their backups the rest of the game. Waukon left their starters in and scored twice on the backups to make it look closer than it was (34-12). MFL's starting defense hasn't been scored on this season and they've played two 2A schools that were playoff teams last year. I think Waukon had 2 first downs and about 30 yds of total offense in 3 quarters against the starting D. That was impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: blcoach80
S-K , after week 1 , I thought they were just another so-so team. Looks like they’re in the mix, not just the win, but the margin

MFL sure sounds impressive. It’ll be interesting to see which teams grow into the playoffs.

DNH and WB seem to have only proven they’re a pretty even matchup. Missed FG the difference in a win or loss there. Gotta feel for that kid. Question now for both teams is how good or average they are. I don’t think an 0-2 star for WB kills anything there. They’ll be there and if anything step up feeling maybe they have something to prove.,

And what about PC winning after 2 OTs to PCM ?

I’m interested in the p-c thing too. Are they for real? I guess we’ll see how they stack up against a grundy team that spanked AP. P-C seems to have reloaded after losing a lot of starters

Nah, just like keeping these threads going and get folks worked up. But honestly I don't think Regina is that good this year. They should be but they have no depth and I think the coaching staff will get in their own way. I know a bit about the dynamics there.
Such as?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT