ADVERTISEMENT

1A Playoff contest

West Sioux 28 Underwood 14
Van Meter 35 ACGC 0
Dike NH 20 Sig/Keota 7

Don't want to give Huehney any billboard material for Beckman vs MFL; the Catholics already have God on their side. :) Regina must have forgotten to say their 10 Hail Mary's and 5 Our Fathers before last Friday's butt kicking by MFL. I expect a much better game this time around between Beckman and MFL. 7 pt game, toss up.
I think MFL must not be on this board to know it’s a guaranteed win for privates in metro areas.

DNH will move onto the semifinals and the UNI Dome with a 38-14 victory over Sigourney/Keota. Cobras score with 7 seconds left with the 1st group to get the final score.

Great battle between Van Meter and AC/GC tonight but looks like the Bulldogs will move on.

Last score seen was West Sioux up on Underwood, 28-14.

Beckman was in control over MFL at last score, I believe 28-6?

Friday Nov 12

10 AM: Beckman (11-0) vs Van Meter (11-0)

1 PM DNH (11-0) vs West Sioux (10-1)

Should be a good semifinals. Thoughts?

I'd like to think both games will be 14 pts or less. I believe Beckman has the beef up front to play with and possibly beat Van Meter.

West Sioux vs Dike, two teams with great football tradition should be a coin flip.

Both these games should be excellent and the 4 best teams in 1A are in the semis like you'd hope would be.

Reactions: Huehney
I thought Underwood was #2 all year and considered a favorite behind Van Meter?
They had some solid talent on the team and will bring back their QB and a couple of WRs next year, but their schedule didn’t look to be the toughest. Nonetheless, they had a tremendous season! Congrats to them.

Does anyone know the seeds for the teams remaining? If van meter rightfully got the #1 seed then Beckman is seeded 4. How can anyone put west Sioux over Beckman with a loss? Why not RPI like 3A/4A/5A?

Does anyone know the seeds for the teams remaining? If van meter rightfully got the #1 seed then Beckman is seeded 4. How can anyone put west Sioux over Beckman with a loss? Why not RPI like 3A/4A/5A?
My guess is their non district schedule is what possibly made a difference. But not for sure on that.

Does anyone know the seeds for the teams remaining? If van meter rightfully got the #1 seed then Beckman is seeded 4. How can anyone put west Sioux over Beckman with a loss?
I could've told you without any hesitation that the winner of Beck/MFL would play Van Meter.

BCMoore would agree FWIW.

My guess is their non district schedule is what possibly made a difference. But not for sure on that.
On quickstats beckman has #2 power ranking. Max preps has them #3. Non confrence wins were all 2A, two running clocks. 4 of their wins were agains final 16 teams. Otscored opponents 40+ to 9. No way i can be convinced that a one loss team should/could be seeded higher. But i guess others disagreed.

On quickstats beckman has #2 power ranking. Max preps has them #3. Non confrence wins were all 2A, two running clocks. 4 of their wins were agains final 16 teams. Otscored opponents 40+ to 9. No way i can be convinced that a one loss team should/could be seeded higher. But i guess others disagreed.
Yeah, your guess is as good as mine. All 4 remaining teams are high quality, well coached teams. Congrats to all of them for making the dome. Exciting times for the teams and their communities.

Quickstats and Maxpreps have nothing to do with it. Last Thursday morning all 8 quarterfinals coaches had a Zoom meeting with a representative of the IHSAA. Each coach had 3 min to give their case about where they should be ranked compared to the others. Then every coach had to rank the other 7 teams (leaving themselves out) and whoever had the lowest score was #1 seed, second lowest score #2, and so on.

West Sioux's only loss was to 2A quarterfinalist Central Lyon and they dominated every game since. Their coach must have given a convincing 3 min speech because they tied with Dike for the #2 seed, but ended up #3 because of alphabet.

So seeding is 100% by the coaches, not any polls.
This is how it all shook out when the coaches seeded it.
1 VM
2 Dike
3 W Sioux
4 Underwood
5 Beckman
6 Sig/Keota
7 ACGC
8 MFL

Last edited:
Quickstats and Maxpreps have nothing to do with it. Last Thursday morning all 8 quarterfinals coaches had a Zoom meeting with a representative of the IHSAA. Each coach had 3 min to give their case about where they should be ranked compared to the others. Then every coach had to rank the other 7 teams (leaving themselves out) and whoever had the lowest score was #1 seed, second lowest score #2, and so on.

West Sioux's only loss was to 2A semifinalist Central Lyon and they dominated every game since. Their coach must have given a convincing 3 min speech because they tied with Dike for the #2 seed, but ended up #3 because of alphabet.

So seeding is 100% by the coaches, not any polls.
This is how it all shook out when the coaches seeded it.
1 VM
2 Dike
3 W Sioux
4 Underwood
5 Beckman
6 Sig/Keota
7 ACGC
8 MFL
Central Lyon got knocked out in the quarterfinal round on Friday by West Lyon. But, they still had a solid team and despite their record this season were extremely formidable.

Central Lyon got knocked out in the quarterfinal round on Friday by West Lyon. But, they still had a solid team and despite their record this season were extremely formidable.
You are correct, sir. My mistake, quarterfinalist not semis.

Reactions: Charles86
NW Iowa football has some solid talent and each of those teams usually schedule one another in the non district portion and just hammer on one another. Physical brand of football in that region.
West Sioux has a beautiful turf field, anyone know how they ended up with that and when they put it in? Fundraising, bond issue, rich donor?

I believe this is what Mepo used for their field (complex) as well. The city donated the land for the new areas and Mepo resurfaced the track, put a new turf field inside the track, built a new baseball field, new bleachers, concessions and restrooms. The football field and baseball field used to be across the street. Now everything is behind the school where the track and softball field are. This includes new youth soccer fields, 3 youth softball/baseball fields and the aquatic center that the city owns/runs. Nice setup and everything right there for families.

I believe this is what Mepo used for their field (complex) as well. The city donated the land for the new areas and Mepo resurfaced the track, put a new turf field inside the track, built a new baseball field, new bleachers, concessions and restrooms. The football field and baseball field used to be across the street. Now everything is behind the school where the track and softball field are. This includes new youth soccer fields, 3 youth softball/baseball fields and the aquatic center that the city owns/runs. Nice setup and everything right there for families.

Mepo has a great facility. Much improved over the old set up.

So if PPEL doesn’t come from taxes or bonds where does the money come from? I read the link and it is a little vague.

Standings through Quarterfinals

10: MepoDawg#, MsideChief, GoEagles23, rc1963
9: janklow, PNation
8: Hawkhopeful, cypower1, AllStateSnub8
7: Huehney, WBBearsFollower,
6: NWIowaSioux, GOPANTHERS23
5: GitRDone_51, Hooper2021, Prancing Ponies
4:
3: IGo42, Foxmanhawk
2:
1: takedown27

Back to the two semifinal games...what are people looking for in each game? Certain matchups or playing styles?

Beckman (11-0) vs Van Meter (11-0)

DNH (11-0) vs West Sioux (10-1)

Van Meter blows up Beckman. West Sioux outlasts and outscores DNH in a close one.

Extra motivation is needed for a semi final game in the dome? Interesting concept.
Exactly this ^^^^^

Van Meter rolls Beckman by 4 TD. Huehney's son was too motivated will be the story after the game.
West Sioux over DNH. Speed kills.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT