ADVERTISEMENT

When do official bed numbers get released?

I'm not going to disagree that West Branch's number is going to be lower because I truly don't know, I am using last years FRL number with this years enrollment. But for them to be 150 their FRL percentage would have had to doubled over the last year.

The same teams will continue to win and lose.
Ya just like when they went to 5A..... except for Indianola, Burlington, mason city, liberty, CR. Wash seems to do better in a smaller class I bet they would not have had the same success under the old system

Some will continue to not be great but It does help to level the playing field like the salary cap in the NFL (would it be good to watch if the same major market team won every year or is it good to see the bills, Cincy, and KC compete). or the scholarship limit in College(Texas would have 300 on scholarship so they wouldn't go to A&M)

Ya just like when they went to 5A..... except for Indianola, Burlington, mason city, liberty, CR. Wash seems to do better in a smaller class I bet they would not have had the same success under the old system

Some will continue to not be great but It does help to level the playing field like the salary cap in the NFL (would it be good to watch if the same major market team won every year or is it good to see the bills, Cincy, and KC compete). or the scholarship limit in College(Texas would have 300 on scholarship so they wouldn't go to A&M)

Liberty beat City High this year and Indianola beat Centennial the past two season, both 5a playoff teams. Liberty and Indianola would have been able to more than hold there own in 5a. Wash lost to Linn-Mar and Kennedy and beat Jeff. They might not have fared quit as well in 5a, though would have been competitive.

With the new system, it looks like both Indy and Liberty will in 5a, perhaps replacing DM North and SC West. If that is so, the social economic adjustment system just made life more difficult for those schools in 5a who struggle to field competitive teams. Do those schools dropping down find more success?? Filling a schedule with teams like Lewis Central, Glenwood, SBL, DCG, Winterset, Norwalk, ADM, etc., they aren’t likely to see many more wins or even competitive contexts.

Love the idea of this now approved system. However I fear that once implemented, it will accomplish little. Especially if the IHSAA creates a true district system for 5a and gets rid of the pods and success model scheduling which I don’t think they will. I don’t know enough about Class A-2A but hope for positive impact. Many questions remain on 8 man.

i dont see what this free luch program has anything to do with football..they said it would level field....more fairness..i sometimes wonder if it would not do the opposite too.....just a crazy world we live in now..

Reactions: Pinehawk
FRL kids tend to participate in extra curricular 40% less of the time compared to kids who aren't FRL. That is why they are doing it. I agree that that schools have been good will still be good and the schools who haven't good will probably continue to not be good.

Reactions: BGon4ND and IGo42
FRL kids tend to participate in extra curricular 40% less of the time compared to kids who aren't FRL. That is why they are doing it. I agree that that schools have been good will still be good and the schools who haven't good will probably continue to not be good.

It’s an effort. Flat multipliers haven’t achieved the desired result in other states and I believe Minnesota has had some success with something similar.

Winners - teams that will be moved down a class and make them the larger school in the class. Mostly affecting the smaller classes. Won't mean much in the larger classes. Probably class A will be the most effected.

Losers- teams on the edge of classes that are pushed up a class making them smaller in that class. Good teams won't change much but I can see upper class teams that could compete in the lower class but not the upper class.

8- man who knows?

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Winners - teams that will be moved down a class and make them the larger school in the class. Mostly affecting the smaller classes. Won't mean much in the larger classes. Probably class A will be the most effected.

Losers- teams on the edge of classes that are pushed up a class making them smaller in that class. Good teams won't change much but I can see upper class teams that could compete in the lower class but not the upper class.

8- man who knows?
I think that depends on the class and the district each will be moving to and out of. Could argue that a team moving up might be better off and a team moving down is worse off due to new district opponents.

If the state thinks this is such a great idea and it is needed, why do they not do it for all sports? Why is it only for football? Schools with higher FRL do well in basketball. Baseball has about as many athletes on the field as football. Nobody is crying when a team gets beat 20-1 in baseball. I think the whole premise is ridiculous. How many people in the NFL came from poor homes? Quite a few.

If the state thinks this is such a great idea and it is needed, why do they not do it for all sports? Why is it only for football? Schools with higher FRL do well in basketball. Baseball has about as many athletes on the field as football. Nobody is crying when a team gets beat 20-1 in baseball. I think the whole premise is ridiculous. How many people in the NFL came from poor homes? Quite a few.
Guess what sport is the only sport that has its schedules determined entirely by the state....................Football. That's why it's starting here, and probably also because football is the most popular sport in America right now. With that being said, I think if this is successful we will see it spread to other sports soon.

Last edited:
This will be interesting to see just how many teams from 8 man this pushes up to class A, Newel Fonda Grand View Christain, Iowa Valley, New London? I think some class A schools were probably figuring to go to 8 man with the 120 cap but now with them lowering the cap to 105 that may have changed those plans. Anyone know the true enrolment of some of these teams with the FRL ratio. Not sure how man A teams will hit that 105 cut with the new ratio and the ones I do know are planning to still play 11 man.

I thought that whether a team was going to be 8 man or 11 man already had to be decided, so I am guessing that they aren't going to push an 8 man team up, unless they were way over 120 before they decided this.

I do also think the state needs to look at trends with both enrollment and FRL. You may have schools claiming that they are going to have a higher percentage of FRL students coming or the classes coming are smaller. To me it seems that there are a few schools that always seem to pick up students (probably from open enrollment) around 8th or 9th grade.

I thought that whether a team was going to be 8 man or 11 man already had to be decided, so I am guessing that they aren't going to push an 8 man team up, unless they were way over 120 before they decided this.

I do also think the state needs to look at trends with both enrollment and FRL. You may have schools claiming that they are going to have a higher percentage of FRL students coming or the classes coming are smaller. To me it seems that there are a few schools that always seem to pick up students (probably from open enrollment) around 8th or 9th grade.
I believe they should be able to look at past enrollment and the younger classes to see where each would project for the next 1-3 cycles and make a determination based on that. And allow a grace period if there’s an influx of kids all of the sudden. Should say if you’re going 11-man or 8-man then you have to stay there for so many cycles before changing. Participation rate could be used as well and/or gender ratio. I know girls can play football, too, but how many actually do.

I believe they should be able to look at past enrollment and the younger classes to see where each would project for the next 1-3 cycles and make a determination based on that. And allow a grace period if there’s an influx of kids all of the sudden. Should say if you’re going 11-man or 8-man then you have to stay there for so many cycles before changing. Participation rate could be used as well and/or gender ratio. I know girls can play football, too, but how many actually do.
This is where the hard cap comes in, if you are over 105 then you play 11 man doesn't matter what you project in 3 to 4 years as that will change in the next rotation cycle. The problem before was they kept giving waivers to 8 man teams who were consistently over the 120 mark and thats not right. It is going to be interesting that is for sure to see what happens because before they lowered the cap their was potential to have 20 plus A teams that could have gone 8 man if they wanted to at the 120 mark.

Newell-Fonda's BED's number for this year is 110 (33, 38, 39 in 9th, 10th, and 11th). Conservatively factor in a FRL of 30% and you would have this:

110 x .3 x .4= 13.2 students
110 - 13= 97 BEDS for 2023-24 cycle.

Newell Fonda will very likely be under the 105 adjusted cap.

Iowa Valley BED's of 115 (41, 35, 39). Factor in a FRL of 30% and here's what you'd get:

115 x .3 x .4= 13.8

115- 14 = 101 BEDs for the 2023-24 cycle.

I am using 30% because that seems about average for most public schools (some higher, some lower).

i wish the state would stop 8man..and make them cosolidate with neighboring school, have all 11 man teams..it would make iowa football more interesting, and the way its meant to be played....i have no doubt there are good players in 8 man, i just think its a waste of resources

i wish the state would stop 8man..and make them cosolidate with neighboring school, have all 11 man teams..it would make iowa football more interesting, and the way its meant to be played....i have no doubt there are good players in 8 man, i just think its a waste of resources
I totally disagree with you and I'm an 11 man guy. What do you mean by how its meant to be played? Last I knew blocking and tackling were still the same.

I don't disagree in the fact that I am also an 11 man guy, but there are places in the state where kids would have to travel an hour to school if we consolidate much more. Plus some of these small schools have more of an identity and support their teams much better then large schools do.

I truly don't know how you do this but the biggest thing that irritates me with 8 man is that there are schools with 35 kids on the roster playing it. To me that is taking opportunity away from kids. All of the smaller versions of football (9 man, 8 man and 6 man) are designed for schools with limited numbers, but exploited by schools with many more players then that.

I will agree some of those 8 man teams have 30 plus kids out BUT they may have every boy in the school out so I give them props for getting the majority of their boys out for football. On the other end some larger classes that do dress less kids don't get every boy in the hallway out like they do in 8 man and thats on them for that. You can punish a smaller school for getting more kids out than a school larger than them. I wish the larger 8 man schools with bigger numbers would play up but I also see their point to not changing their field every 2 years.

Many of those schools could play 11 man. They don't want to, because they wouldn't be as good.
More kids would actually play if they went to 11 man. But, they want to play 8 man and have 20 kids on the sidelines because they win more games.

Many of those schools could play 11 man. They don't want to, because they wouldn't be as good.
More kids would actually play if they went to 11 man. But, they want to play 8 man and have 20 kids on the sidelines because they win more games.
Thats the key in your statement, COULD PLAY, but could they be competitive? Lets face it schools and coaches want to win and they should because you don't play to lose you play to win. People will say its not about winning its about being part of a team and letting kids play and teaching them life lessons, BS its about winning and kids want to play to win. I don't know many coaches if any that given the choice you can play in this division and have a chance to win championships or play in this division and just be competitive would pick the later. Do you honestly think if a team like Regina could go to class A they wouldn't? Same could be said of other schools in all classes, you have the option to the play up a class but you don't see teams doing it for one simple reason, they want to win.

Exactly. So, let's not pretend that schools choosing 8 man vs 11 man are doing so for the kids.
It's for their win-loss record.
But, if the state is going to set a cap, then they should enforce it. No other class has schools that get to move down by request.

also. with 8 man, what about injurys.....they might have to field a kid too small to play, or not talented enough, and the school just dont have enough kids for a playable team...illinois is now going back to 11 man football, no more 8 man....they did this a year or 2 ago

Thats the key in your statement, COULD PLAY, but could they be competitive? Lets face it schools and coaches want to win and they should because you don't play to lose you play to win. People will say its not about winning its about being part of a team and letting kids play and teaching them life lessons, BS its about winning and kids want to play to win. I don't know many coaches if any that given the choice you can play in this division and have a chance to win championships or play in this division and just be competitive would pick the later. Do you honestly think if a team like Regina could go to class A they wouldn't? Same could be said of other schools in all classes, you have the option to the play up a class but you don't see teams doing it for one simple reason, they want to win.

Having been fortunate to have kids play on some dominant teams I know there were games where their goal was to be out of the game after the first series of the 2nd quarter. Sure it was a win but they preferred the 2-3 games a year that were competitive.

A coaches/admin perspective may be different than a player’s perspective and it’s not all about winning or you wouldn’t have 50, 60, or even 70 kids out at some smaller schools. Of course winning is fun and better but so the the friendships/team they have with classmates. As well as the community support. Some kids at smaller schools play just to stay in shape/train for other sports.

Waterloo Christian is starting a program for next year in 8 man.

Also the FRL numbers are out for this year, and we have enrollments, so I would think classifications should be coming soon.

I believe two years ago we got classifications around Valentines Day, Districts around St Patricks Day and schedules around Tax Day.

I wish I had the parochial school information so I could just figure it out myself.

also. with 8 man, what about injurys.....they might have to field a kid too small to play, or not talented enough, and the school just dont have enough kids for a playable team...illinois is now going back to 11 man football, no more 8 man....they did this a year or 2 ago
I'm not sure why you are saying Illinois did away with 8-man. More and more teams are moving to 8-man in Illinois.

I'm not sure why you are saying Illinois did away with 8-man. More and more teams are m

i dont see 8 man football in illiinois rankings​

AP Week 3 Illinois high school football rankings​

The latest rankings of Illinois high school football teams in each class, according to an Associated Press panel of sportswriters. Sept 7, 2022, 2:09pm MST​

The latest rankings of Illinois high school football teams in each class, according to an Associated Press panel of sportswriters:

Class 8A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. Loyola (11) (2-0) 118 1

2. Lincoln-Way East (1) (2-0) 108 2
3. Glenbard West (2-0) 94 3

4. Warren (2-0) 88 5
5. Naperville North (2-0) 65 9
6. O’Fallon (2-0) 45 8
7. Maine South (1-1) 36 7

8. Marist (1-1) 28 NR
9. Edwardsville (2-0) 26 10
10. Bolingbrook (1-1) 15 4
Others receiving votes: York 11, Lockport 7, Palatine 6, South Elgin 4, Plainfield North 3, Glenbrook South 3, Neuqua Valley 3.

Class 7A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. Mount Carmel (12) (2-0) 120 1
2. Prospect (2-0) 102 3
3. Batavia (1-1) 94 2

4. St. Rita (2-0) 76 5
5. Jacobs (2-0) 62 6
6. Glenbard North (1-1) 53 4
7. Wheaton North (2-0) 47 8

8. Wheaton-Warrenville South (1-1) 29 NR
9. Pekin (2-0) 22 T9
10. Hononegah (2-0) 16 NR
Others receiving votes: Brother Rice 14, Hersey 11, Geneva 6, Yorkville 5, Downers North 3.
Class 6A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. East St. Louis (13) (1-1) 130 1
2. Prairie Ridge (2-0) 108 2
3. Lemont (2-0) 99 4

4. Simeon (2-0) 96 T9
5. Notre Dame (2-0) 73 6
6. Crete-Monee (0-2) 65 5
7. Chatham Glenwood (2-0) 45 7
8. Kenwood (1-1) 33 T10
9. Cary-Grove (1-1) 23 3
10. Carmel (2-0) 21 NR
Others receiving votes: St. Ignatius 7, Harlem 5, Wauconda 4, Crystal Lake South 3, Normal West 2, Benet 1.

Class 5A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. Nazareth (9) (1-1) 116 1
2. Kankakee (1) (1-1) 94 2
3. Morris (2-0) 91 4
4. Mahomet-Seymour (2) (2-0) 90 3
5. Sycamore (2-0) 65 5
6. Peoria (2-0) 62 6
7. Rockford Boylan (2-0) 55 7
8. Morgan Park (2-0) 36 10
9. Glenbard South (2-0) 14 NR
10. Mascoutah (2-0) 10 NR
Others receiving votes: Sterling 9, St. Patrick 7, Highland 6, Marian Catholic 2, St. Viator 2, Fenwick 1.
Class 4A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. Sacred Heart-Griffin (6) (2-0) 105 T1
2. Joliet Catholic (5) (2-0) 104 T1
3. St. Francis (2-0) 85 3
4. Richmond-Burton (2-0) 73 4
5. Rochester (1-1) 66 5
6. Stillman Valley (2-0) 50 7
7. Genoa-Kingston (2-0) 42 6
8. Wheaton Academy (2-0) 36 8
9. Carterville (2-0) 15 10
10. Freeburg (2-0) 10 NR
Others receiving votes: St. Laurence 5, Peoria Notre Dame 5, Quincy Notre Dame 3, Marengo 3, Mt. Zion 2, Murphysboro 1.
Class 3A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. IC Catholic (9) (1-1) 117 1
2. Williamsville (2) (2-0) 100 3
2. Reed-Custer (1) (2-0) 100 2
4. Princeton (2-0) 81 4
5. Byron (1-1) 71 5
6. Mt. Carmel, Ill. (2-0) 51 6
7. Fairbury Prairie Central (2-0) 47 8
8. Eureka (2-0) 45 7
9. Durand-Pecatonica (2-0) 29 9
10. Peotone (2-0) 7 NR
(tie) Tolono Unity (1-1) 7 NR
Others receiving votes: Paxton-Buckley-Loda 5.
Class 2A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. Wilmington (11) (2-0) 119 1
2. St. Teresa (1) (2-0) 108 2
3. Downs Tri-Valley (2-0) 95 3
4. Maroa-Forsyth (2-0) 86 4
5. Bismarck-Henning (2-0) 63 6
6. Vandalia (2-0) 60 7
7. Knoxville (2-0) 49 10
8. North-Mac (2-0) 29 NR
9. Rockridge (1-1) 19 NR
10. Pana (1-1) 11 NR
Others receiving votes: Nashville 10, Breese Mater Dei 6, Mercer County 4, Johnston City 1.
Class 1A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. Lena-Winslow (12) (2-0) 121 1
2. Athens (2-0) 112 2
3. Moweaqua Central A&M (1) (2-0) 104 3
4. Colfax Ridgeview (2-0) 90 4
5. Camp Point Central (2-0) 80 6
6. Fulton (2-0) 52 7
7. Tuscola (2-0) 31 8
8. Forreston (1-1) 30 5
9. Hope Academy (2-0) 28 T10
10. Gilman Iroquois West (2-0) 24 9
Others receiving votes: Jacksonville Routt 13, St. Bede 10, Greenfield-Northwestern 7, Annawan-Wethersfield 4, Salt Fork 4, Ottawa Marquette 2, Brown County 2, Shelbyville 1.

i dont see 8 man football in illiinois rankings​

AP Week 3 Illinois high school football rankings​

The latest rankings of Illinois high school football teams in each class, according to an Associated Press panel of sportswriters. Sept 7, 2022, 2:09pm MST​

The latest rankings of Illinois high school football teams in each class, according to an Associated Press panel of sportswriters:

Class 8A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. Loyola (11) (2-0) 118 1

2. Lincoln-Way East (1) (2-0) 108 2
3. Glenbard West (2-0) 94 3

4. Warren (2-0) 88 5
5. Naperville North (2-0) 65 9
6. O’Fallon (2-0) 45 8
7. Maine South (1-1) 36 7

8. Marist (1-1) 28 NR
9. Edwardsville (2-0) 26 10
10. Bolingbrook (1-1) 15 4
Others receiving votes: York 11, Lockport 7, Palatine 6, South Elgin 4, Plainfield North 3, Glenbrook South 3, Neuqua Valley 3.

Class 7A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. Mount Carmel (12) (2-0) 120 1
2. Prospect (2-0) 102 3
3. Batavia (1-1) 94 2

4. St. Rita (2-0) 76 5
5. Jacobs (2-0) 62 6
6. Glenbard North (1-1) 53 4
7. Wheaton North (2-0) 47 8

8. Wheaton-Warrenville South (1-1) 29 NR
9. Pekin (2-0) 22 T9
10. Hononegah (2-0) 16 NR
Others receiving votes: Brother Rice 14, Hersey 11, Geneva 6, Yorkville 5, Downers North 3.
Class 6A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. East St. Louis (13) (1-1) 130 1
2. Prairie Ridge (2-0) 108 2
3. Lemont (2-0) 99 4

4. Simeon (2-0) 96 T9
5. Notre Dame (2-0) 73 6
6. Crete-Monee (0-2) 65 5
7. Chatham Glenwood (2-0) 45 7
8. Kenwood (1-1) 33 T10
9. Cary-Grove (1-1) 23 3
10. Carmel (2-0) 21 NR
Others receiving votes: St. Ignatius 7, Harlem 5, Wauconda 4, Crystal Lake South 3, Normal West 2, Benet 1.

Class 5A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. Nazareth (9) (1-1) 116 1
2. Kankakee (1) (1-1) 94 2
3. Morris (2-0) 91 4
4. Mahomet-Seymour (2) (2-0) 90 3
5. Sycamore (2-0) 65 5
6. Peoria (2-0) 62 6
7. Rockford Boylan (2-0) 55 7
8. Morgan Park (2-0) 36 10
9. Glenbard South (2-0) 14 NR
10. Mascoutah (2-0) 10 NR
Others receiving votes: Sterling 9, St. Patrick 7, Highland 6, Marian Catholic 2, St. Viator 2, Fenwick 1.
Class 4A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. Sacred Heart-Griffin (6) (2-0) 105 T1
2. Joliet Catholic (5) (2-0) 104 T1
3. St. Francis (2-0) 85 3
4. Richmond-Burton (2-0) 73 4
5. Rochester (1-1) 66 5
6. Stillman Valley (2-0) 50 7
7. Genoa-Kingston (2-0) 42 6
8. Wheaton Academy (2-0) 36 8
9. Carterville (2-0) 15 10
10. Freeburg (2-0) 10 NR
Others receiving votes: St. Laurence 5, Peoria Notre Dame 5, Quincy Notre Dame 3, Marengo 3, Mt. Zion 2, Murphysboro 1.
Class 3A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. IC Catholic (9) (1-1) 117 1
2. Williamsville (2) (2-0) 100 3
2. Reed-Custer (1) (2-0) 100 2
4. Princeton (2-0) 81 4
5. Byron (1-1) 71 5
6. Mt. Carmel, Ill. (2-0) 51 6
7. Fairbury Prairie Central (2-0) 47 8
8. Eureka (2-0) 45 7
9. Durand-Pecatonica (2-0) 29 9
10. Peotone (2-0) 7 NR
(tie) Tolono Unity (1-1) 7 NR
Others receiving votes: Paxton-Buckley-Loda 5.
Class 2A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. Wilmington (11) (2-0) 119 1
2. St. Teresa (1) (2-0) 108 2
3. Downs Tri-Valley (2-0) 95 3
4. Maroa-Forsyth (2-0) 86 4
5. Bismarck-Henning (2-0) 63 6
6. Vandalia (2-0) 60 7
7. Knoxville (2-0) 49 10
8. North-Mac (2-0) 29 NR
9. Rockridge (1-1) 19 NR
10. Pana (1-1) 11 NR
Others receiving votes: Nashville 10, Breese Mater Dei 6, Mercer County 4, Johnston City 1.
Class 1A
School W-L Pts Prv
1. Lena-Winslow (12) (2-0) 121 1
2. Athens (2-0) 112 2
3. Moweaqua Central A&M (1) (2-0) 104 3
4. Colfax Ridgeview (2-0) 90 4
5. Camp Point Central (2-0) 80 6
6. Fulton (2-0) 52 7
7. Tuscola (2-0) 31 8
8. Forreston (1-1) 30 5
9. Hope Academy (2-0) 28 T10
10. Gilman Iroquois West (2-0) 24 9
Others receiving votes: Jacksonville Routt 13, St. Bede 10, Greenfield-Northwestern 7, Annawan-Wethersfield 4, Salt Fork 4, Ottawa Marquette 2, Brown County 2, Shelbyville 1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT