ADVERTISEMENT

When do official bed numbers get released?

Quinn Douglas has done a pretty good job of figuring districts in all the classes. I do think he may be off a little but overall it looks pretty good. That is where I first saw that KP was going to 1A.

There was also a rumor of AGWSR going back to 8 man but I am 99% sure that isn't true. I just wish the state would release the enrollments, give us something.

There is a limit in class 5Adown to 1A. Everyone else goes into A for 11 man and all 8 man are in 1 class. Not much else you can do about that.

Did anyone hear anything or talk to anyone that was at the IFCA clinic over the weekend? I think Jared Chizek (IAHSAA) was supposed to talk at breakfast about where they are at in the classification process.

Just that there are schools either challenging their enrollment numbers or their FRL numbers from the state. They cannot officially move forward until the challenges are taken care of.

I don't think it should be though, it is pretty straight forward with data. I can't say I understand what schools are debating, other then maybe if there is a co-op and how those numbers are figured.

They are debating the numbers they submitted. I would like to see them give the money back to the state if they have less kids. I mean unless you think that you will win a state championship at one level but not the other what's the point. and if you are championship quality then you should compete well at that level.

Reactions: FootballJunky23
My question at this point is how long does it take to settle a dispute? At some point one side is correct and one side isn't.

You would be disappointed to know how many schools failed to respond by the March 1 deadline.
Is that a number you know or is it just a comment you are assuming? Nothing any more surprises me. I agree, it is a hassle but should not be that tough to figure out. People on this site have done it in their spare time. I would think computer programs would kick it right out. I did not figure we would hear anything until next week but probably the week after. They will wait till winter sports and spring break is over, then hopefully release it.

I would say if you don’t answer by the deadline you get what you get.
Bingo!! A reflection of society nowadays... a deadline is set but when dozens of schools either don't pay attention or don't care enough they just drag everyone else along instead of moving forward!! If they didn't submit their info on time then just do it for them. I also don't understand why it should take long for the appeals to get sorted out. It's based off the data that they already submitted in the fall so...??

That just made my day. I see the schools who received a waiver for 8 man.

Of those schools here is my opinon
Springville- They are over because of taking CVC which I am sure isn't adding too much to their program, I am ok with that. I wonder if they will drop them.

BGM- I get maybe staying down to build yourself back up, but I think they will be over for a while, so I am almost surprised they didn't go back up to 11 man

Southeast Warren- I wonder what their open enrollment numbers are, because they seem to always be over but they could be pulling kids from Indianola who want a smaller school which is hard to project.

Northwood Kennsett- I think they have had more waivers they any other schools since they went 8 man?

Midland- Sort of a similar situation to Southeast Warren, are they getting a bunch of open enrollment?

St Edmond- I have to think they will struggle to stay below the 8 man cutoff in the future.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Kind of shocking to see Sioux City Heelan economic factor is as high as some public schools

Last edited:
Never would have guessed PV’s FRL factor is lower than Waukee NW, in fact it’s lower than almost all private schools.

In 2A, Clarinda is an outlier. Closest potential district opponents are all almost 2 hours away minimum. May try to put a 2A district map together if I get bored today.

It will be interesting to see how they divide up 1A. Are they going to do it strictly by geography? in the west there is West Sioux and Underwood that are by the border. Then there is not ream that is historically that good until you get right around Hwy 63. Pella Christian and Aplington Parkersburg are the farthest west. The east will be stacked and most of the west will be weak. I would say they will bring PC and AP or Dike to the center part of the state to spread it out a little. Otherwise district 2 and district 7 will be real weak overall.

In 2A, Clarinda is an outlier. Closest potential district opponents are all almost 2 hours away minimum. May try to put a 2A district map together if I get bored today.
Looked at that last night. Really with Clarinda being the only far southwest school, it will impact how the state will divvy up the Central Iowa Schools and South Central Schools. Would be interesting to see what you come up with for a potential map.

I’m interested to see if the state does 8 districts with class A or does 9 or 10.

If it is 8 districts the only one that really makes sense is far SE Iowa. The problem with that district is that it is Columbus who I think should be pretty good or at least a playoff worthy team, and the rest of the teams are not very good.

Other than that with class A geographically it is difficult to make only 8 districts without some serious travel.

Looked at that last night. Really with Clarinda being the only far southwest school, it will impact how the state will divvy up the Central Iowa Schools and South Central Schools. Would be interesting to see what you come up with for a potential map.
Hopefully the link works. I went strictly geographic, no competitive element. Obviously one team from each could move especially in the central and eastern districts.

Reactions: FootballJunky23
Here's my 2A prediction- see what you think!!
District 1
Central Lyon
West Lyon
Western Christian
Unity Christian
Cherokee
Sheldon

District 2
Spirit Lake
Okoboji
Estherville, LC
Garner-H-V
Forest City
Clarion-G-D

District 3
Greene County
Carroll Kuemper
Southeast Valley
West Marshall
Roland-Story
Iowa Falls-Alden

District 4
Waukon
Crestwood
Osage
NFV
New Hampton
Oelwein

District 5
Monticello
Mid Prairie
Anamosa
Jesup
Union
Vinton-Shellsburg

District 6
Camanche
Northeast, Goose Lake
Tipton
West Liberty
Mediapolis
West Burlington

District 7
PCM
Chariton
Albia
Centerville
Davis County
Central Lee

District 8
Van Meter
Des Moines Christian
Saydel
Clarke, Osceola
Interstate 35
Clarinda

Districts 1, 3, and 4 all look really strong if they would do this (especially 1 and 4).

I’m interested to see if the state does 8 districts with class A or does 9 or 10.

If it is 8 districts the only one that really makes sense is far SE Iowa. The problem with that district is that it is Columbus who I think should be pretty good or at least a playoff worthy team, and the rest of the teams are not very good.

Other than that with class A geographically it is difficult to make only 8 districts without some serious travel.
I think it will be 8 districts, like SE

I think it will be 8 districts, like SE Iowa you mentioned NE Iowa has alot of class A teams. I see the two districts that will have 8 teams in the district will come from those two regions of the state.

Ran some numbers today, looking for what immediate impact the FRL adjustment made. I only looked at the top 225 schools in enrollment because I didn’t want to mess with the class A and 8 man divider with all the exemptions and teams choosing to play 11 man and what not. Here is some things that caught my attention….

1. The state average for FRL is around 40-41%. That is total students not based on average of all schools. With that said, 73 of the largest 225 schools were at 40% or greater FRL. Including 15 of the 36 5a schools.

2. Of those 73, only 12 moved down a class (all 40%+ FRL) with the help of the adjustment, which means 12 schools also moved up a class.

3. Average record of the schools who moved down a class over the last 2 year cycle was 2.8 wins vs 6.2 losses.

4. All 12 schools who moved up from their BEDS only classification (including three private schools) had a FRL less than 35%. Their average record this last cycle was 5.0 wins vs 4.7 losses. This group obviously played more playoff games.

5. I have read that Grundy Center and Van Meter bumped up a class because of their FRL number, but they would have moved up if just factoring BEDS as well.

6. The IHSAA will be watching to see if this model brings more success to programs including wins, competitive games, and participation numbers. It will be interesting to track along with them.

7. Sorry if this made 0 sense.

Reactions: privateer13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT