ADVERTISEMENT

When do official bed numbers get released?

Anyone think we get some information from the state once State Wrestling is over?? Maybe next week or the week after??

I assume that gathering all the FRL %'s from the private schools is what has taken so long...

I honestly think they could be done, but you're correct Pony it has to go in front of the board of control before they are released.

I think they know classifications for the most part, just double checking and making sure they have all pertinent information. Schools are also probably still gathering their non-district list.

I think they know classifications for the most part, just double checking and making sure they have all pertinent information. Schools are also probably still gathering their non-district list.
No need to gather your non district list until we know classifications, witch I think will come out after state wrestling. My guess is we wont see districts until late March and sched in April

Reactions: gdkid2010
No need to gather your non district list until we know classifications, witch I think will come out after state wrestling. My guess is we wont see districts until late March and sched in April
That is the way it was 2 years ago. Not saying they will alwys be that way, but I think they are allowing for more time since this is a whole new procedure with the FR calculations.

Right!! It's probably hard for schools to make much of a list when they don't know their classification or their district. Maybe have some possibilities but nothing concrete...I agree we won't see schedules until April. Hope we see districts by mid March...guess we'll see. I'm not sure when the next board of control meeting is.

Almost every coach should pretty much know what class they’ll be in. There are some that may be a question, but schools are creating their lists already anyways.

Coaches and ADs started emailing each other about the possibility of playing a non district game in December maybe even in November.

The state doesn't ask for the non-district wish lists until, of course, they tell the schools what the districts are. But yeah, certainly could be initial talks between schools that are certain they won't be in the same class.

The state doesn't ask for the non-district wish lists until, of course, they tell the schools what the districts are. But yeah, certainly could be initial talks between schools that are certain they won't be in the same class.
Coaches and ADs started emailing each other about the possibility of playing a non district game in December maybe even in November.
Correct because for some it is difficult to find teams willing to play them in non-district play.

Honestly, I think this FRL is just the first step. Especially after the ESA (vouchers) start to kick in over the next 3 years the FRL counts at privates are going to go up. Potentially way, way up. The problem is that the kids on FRL that go out of their way to go to the private schools are exactly the kids you want out for sports. Going to make competitive balance even worse.

Honestly, I think this FRL is just the first step. Especially after the ESA (vouchers) start to kick in over the next 3 years the FRL counts at privates are going to go up. Potentially way, way up. The problem is that the kids on FRL that go out of their way to go to the private schools are exactly the kids you want out for sports. Going to make competitive balance even worse.
I don't think its going to make much of a difference in the kids but the facilities will be better. A couple of private schools that I know of are keeping the enrollment the same but just increasing tuition by 5 grand. So that kid on FRL will still have to receive aid to go to the private school. They know the magic number of kids before they will need to expand or hire new teachers

Last edited:
I don't think its going to make much of a difference in the kids but the facilities will be better. A couple of private schools that I know of are keeping the enrollment the same but just increasing tuition by 5 grand. So that kid on FRL will still have to receive aid to go to the private school. They know the magic number of kids before they will need to expand or higher new teachers
No wonder the vast majority of Iowans opposed the vouch...I mean ESA. That will only make the private schools more dominant.

Almost every coach should pretty much know what class they’ll be in. There are some that may be a question, but schools are creating their lists already anyways.
The issue isnt what class you know your in but you dont know what class others are in and who is coming up or down to 8 man.

From a source who would know, I know that the state sent each school it's football number to verify by March 1st. I don't think that there are usually many mistakes with these, other then maybe a switch in a co-op.

There are several bubble teams in Eastern Iowa that could go either way.
Jesup (2A or 1A)
Beckman (2A or 1A)
Wat. Columbus (2A or 1A)
Bellevue (1A or A)
Wapsie Valley (1A or A)
Lisbon (1A or A)

Hard for smaller schools to predict districts or make a priority list of non-district opponents with so many teams in a particular region on the bubble.

I would assume the state already knows the districts, but they have to have teams verify their BEDs and FRL as a formality. Hope to know classifications and districts late next week or the following week.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
There are several bubble teams in Eastern Iowa that could go either way.
Jesup (2A or 1A)
Beckman (2A or 1A)
Wat. Columbus (2A or 1A)
Bellevue (1A or A)
Wapsie Valley (1A or A)
Lisbon (1A or A)

Hard for smaller schools to predict districts or make a priority list of non-district opponents with so many teams in a particular region on the bubble.

I would assume the state already knows the districts, but they have to have teams verify their BEDs and FRL as a formality. Hope to know classifications and districts late next week or the following week.
What are you projecting the cut for 1A-A? Of Bellevue, Wapsie and Lisbon I think they are in that order enrollment wise and only maybe less than 5 or 6 students separating them. I think the bigger question is how many teams are over the 8 man cap and will be forced to play 11 man or will they get another waiver yet again.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
I kinda already have but there are potential changes in the mix classifications that I don't want to get into. Too many variables.

But I can share what I've completed so far.

Potential Numbers
According to MathGuy12 Bellevue is third from the bottom of 1A, Wapsie is the biggest Class A school and Lisbon is the second largest Class A school.

From a source who would know, I know that the state sent each school it's football number to verify by March 1st. I don't think that there are usually many mistakes with these, other then maybe a switch in a co-op.

Exactly, PNation. Since the numbers come from the fall Beds schools submit to the DE, they better be accurate.

It’ll be interesting as we (Mepo) may be playing a completely new schedule than maybe West Burlington or Tipton depending on new class/district. We’ll most likely be 2A and not sure who we can get for non-district play.

I’d like to see us keep playing former district opponents; West Branch, IC Regina, and Sigourney-Keota. Some good games the last few years with them. In middle school we’ve been playing the likes of Mt. Pleasant, Fairfield, Washington and Ft. Madison as many of the smaller schools have either gone 8-man or don’t play us.

Reactions: gdkid2010
It’ll be interesting as we (Mepo) may be playing a completely new schedule than maybe West Burlington or Tipton depending on new class/district. We’ll most likely be 2A and not sure who we can get for non-district play.

I’d like to see us keep playing former district opponents; West Branch, IC Regina, and Sigourney-Keota. Some good games the last few years with them. In middle school we’ve been playing the likes of Mt. Pleasant, Fairfield, Washington and Ft. Madison as many of the smaller schools have either gone 8-man or don’t

I think Mepo and Mid-Prairie are destined to join the Southeast Conference someday. I bet they both do well!

The official public school numbers from the department of education have been released. I haven't had time to look through them all, but just out of curiosity I looked up the 8 man schools that are usually close to the cutoff line and here is what I found.

Midland 137
BGM 135
Southeast Warren 126
Martensdale St. Marys 142
Northwood Kensett 128
New London is exactly 120
FYI with the Free & Reduced Handicap it is projected that Midland will be below again in the next re-districting cycle following this one. I only state this to show as a good example of why temporary waivers should be given due to an enrollment anomaly. Teams that are allowed to remain 8 player several redistricting cycles in a row is a different story. Without knowing projected enrollments of teams that only recently breached the limit it is impossible to understand the justification for them remaining.

I'm sure of that as well, and I don't know if Midland is a school that has been consistently over the number, but I do know that there are some who always seem to be, and to me that gets frustrating.

I do not know a lot about teams staying in 8 man, but I could assume that a few might do that if they have larger open enrollment numbers. Since the student does not live in the district, they cannot guarantee those classes from year to year, so they may not get them in the future like they have the past. I guess I may be giving them the benefit of the doubt, but it is a possibility. Or they could just be wanting the easy route to the dome.

Today was the deadline for schools to verify their BEDs and FRL %. I can't imagine there were many (if any) mistakes. IHSAA should have everything they need to release classifications and district assignments. This Friday??....I wouldn't hold my breath....

They said they would notify the schools of their classifications before they released districts. I don't know if that means that they would tell each school what class they are playing in or tell them what every school is playing in.

I am hoping we see district on March 10th as we got them on March 12th two years ago. Which is also a weird time considering that is state basketball.

Reactions: IGo42
Today was the deadline for schools to verify their BEDs and FRL %. I can't imagine there were many (if any) mistakes. IHSAA should have everything they need to release classifications and district assignments. This Friday??....I wouldn't hold my breath....
I am sure there are going to be changes in enrollment and FRL%. The rule changed and now students can flow more freely from one district to another any time of year. For the most part it will not make much difference, especially in the big classes, but it could change 1 or 2 spots for A-1A-2A.

These numbers were due for all schools in October, even if a schools enrollment changed since then it doesn't matter.

Reactions: IGo42
It may matter, I am not sure how the IAHSAA is viewing the enrollment. The state is not changing for financing the students, but does that mean the association is not changing either?

Yes the adjusted BEDs will change with FRL, but the IHSAA has had those numbers and percentages for weeks, they just wanted schools to verify that they agree. The IHSAA got the info from the Iowa Board of Education, so if schools disagreed with their BEDs or FRL they had to call the BOE, not the IHSAA.

As PNation said, it wouldn't matter if you had 30 students transfer into your district last month, your BEDs number is the 9-11 enrollment number schools send in October. Anyone that transfers after October doesn't change your BEDs.

Reactions: 3buzzmable
What does everyone think will be the number of teams in each class? Obviously it all starts with 5A, so you think 24 teams or 36 in 5A then bigger in other classes or smaller because then that will be the domino until it gets down to class A and 8 man.

It looks like River Valley and Kingsley-Pierson are sharing football and will go 11man. Has anybody heard anything as far as waivers or if the big schools like Martensdale St Marys will be playing 11man?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT