ADVERTISEMENT

West Hancock vs St Ansgar?

IGo42

Freshman
Sep 10, 2019
Many news outlets have West Hancock and St. Ansgar ranked #1 and #2.
Both have a punishing running game and physical defenses. Both teams have lots of seniors and are big up front and have tough backs.

West Hancock is a Wing-T team and St Ansgar is a wishbone veer/midline option team. There has yet to be an opponent that has been able to slow down either teams rushing attack.

Questions for discussions:
1. Are there any teams in Class A that have defenses physical enough to at least contain these rushing attacks to say, under 200 yds?
2. Neither of these teams throw the ball much (not that they can't throw, they just haven't had many attempts) so if there is a physical defense that can contain their running games can they win IF they would need to throw the ball?
3. What teams have the best chances against them and why?
4. IF they meet in the finals is it a higher or a lower scoring game? Who wins and why?

I would give the edge to WH. Pretty much every valuable piece to there team is either a 3 or 2 year starter and they are the bigger and more experienced team then SA. SA is great and has mostly dominated everyone but so has WH. It all comes down to the defense I believe mostly in a matchup like that and I’d say both defenses aren’t elite but are good. I’d also say that maybe a better matchup against WH would be a more so a passing squad because most of the defensive backs are new starters and aren’t very good. I think if your going to beat WH you shouldn’t try to beat them at there own game which is what SA would try to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
if they are to meet in the dome with team is faster? Speed matters in the dome
Haven’t got out to see SA yet but I know britt has some speed Hagen is there leading rusher and more of a power back but Josef smith has great speed. Evident by his play in the dome last year vs Hudson.

To me the team that has the best opportunity to break up this final is Earlham, their only loss is to an extremely good Van Meter team that neither WH or STA would compete with, and they have size.

I look at a team like North Tama and think that they would put together a great game plan, but I just don't think that they have the horses to get it done, but I do think that they would be second in line to knock them off.

To me the true number of teams that can win the state title is very small in class A this year, I really don't see any of the teams from western Iowa this year making any real noise, I guess Earlham is technically western Iowa, but I identify them more as a metro team.

To me the team that has the best opportunity to break up this final is Earlham, their only loss is to an extremely good Van Meter team that neither WH or STA would compete with, and they have size.

I look at a team like North Tama and think that they would put together a great game plan, but I just don't think that they have the horses to get it done, but I do think that they would be second in line to knock them off.

To me the true number of teams that can win the state title is very small in class A this year, I really don't see any of the teams from western Iowa this year making any real noise, I guess Earlham is technically western Iowa, but I identify them more as a metro team.
I’d agree with you Earlham as I believe they are a solid contender and sort of competed with a team I believe that SA and WH would get killed by. But I disagree with North Tama, they have no chance they aren’t much better then any team in that district, narrow wins in all those game, SA beat Hudson by 50 and believe they’d do the same to North Tama. MFL mar Mac is interesting to me, wonder how good they end up being.

I agree that North Tama doesn't really have much of a chance, I just feel like they are better then the other 12 teams that will qualify, I also agree MFL is sort of the unknown, they will be 9-0 and have a few quality wins, but with no playoff experience it will be interesting to see how they adjust.

I believe West Hancock is still the best team, but they would definitely struggle with earlham because they couldn’t push them around. In fact, Earlham is actually bigger and taller. And West Hancock usually doesn’t do well with that. St Ansgar however doesn’t have the size. They would try to beat them at there own game and would ultimately lose in the end

they have a very weak cover 3 pass defense. Plus a team who can contain them upfront size wise will make swalla go side to side. They wont be effective that way imo.
I can see where your coming from. But there’s no real dual threat teams in the state at the moment in class A that are very good. Luckily for Earlham the top two teams in the state right now literally don’t pass so that weak cover 3 pass defense won’t matter all that much against them. I think there size and RB will dominate most every other class A team this year even considering there lax pass defense like you have mentioned.

I can see where your coming from. But there’s no real dual threat teams in the state at the moment in class A that are very good. Luckily for Earlham the top two teams in the state right now literally don’t pass so that weak cover 3 pass defense won’t matter all that much against them. I think there size and RB will dominate most every other class A team this year even considering there lax pass defense like you have mentioned.

West Hancock can pass the ball, they just don't have to since their running game is efficient enough to get the offense where it needs to go. I have seen West Hancock play a few times this year and I would put their line up against any team out there in Class A. Most of the line has played together for 3 years and are very good at what they do. That doesn't mean that they are unbeatable. They have played against class 1A teams and class 2A teams this year and done just fine against them, as you can tell by their undefeated record. We can debate who's line is better until Christmas, but as they say, that is why they play the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtdew_fever
West Hancock can pass the ball, they just don't have to since their running game is efficient enough to get the offense where it needs to go. I have seen West Hancock play a few times this year and I would put their line up against any team out there in Class A. Most of the line has played together for 3 years and are very good at what they do. That doesn't mean that they are unbeatable. They have played against class 1A teams and class 2A teams this year and done just fine against them, as you can tell by their undefeated record. We can debate who's line is better until Christmas, but as they say, that is why they play the game.
Lol yeah west Hancock can pass the ball good one. They average like 3 pass attempts a game. I guess your gonna complete a couple when u play small teams who have 8 players in the box expecting run every play. West Hancock cannot pass

Lol yeah west Hancock can pass the ball good one. They average like 3 pass attempts a game. I guess your gonna complete a couple when u play small teams who have 8 players in the box expecting run every play. West Hancock cannot pass
Let the record show (Quikstats) that the Fearsome Eagle Beast QB has a +266.2 QB rating!!! :) :) :)

I didn't say they pass a lot, I said they can pass if they have to. Not anymore of a statement then your statement that Earlham would dominate every other team in class A and a running back that no one can touch. Both statements are our own opinions, nothing more. Playing small teams? LOL !!! What is your dig on that? I am sure Emmetsburg, Osage, both in Class 1A, & Garner-Hayfield-Ventura, and Forest City, both in class 2A, are small teams in your eyes, huh? Osage and GHV are both playing for playoff spots tonight, so I highly doubt they are "small teams" as you refer them too. I guess we will see on the field who is better. Peace out

I didn't say they pass a lot, I said they can pass if they have to. Not anymore of a statement then your statement that Earlham would dominate every other team in class A and a running back that no one can touch. Both statements are our own opinions, nothing more. Playing small teams? LOL !!! What is your dig on that? I am sure Emmetsburg, Osage, both in Class 1A, & Garner-Hayfield-Ventura, and Forest City, both in class 2A, are small teams in your eyes, huh? Osage and GHV are both playing for playoff spots tonight, so I highly doubt they are "small teams" as you refer them too. I guess we will see on the field who is better. Peace out
Osage who lost every non district game and is playing for the worst district title. Forest city who historically is a horrible football program and always one of the worst in the state. GHV is solid, and Emmetsburg is decent but not great. WH is very good and is obviously the team to beat but the notion your making that they can pass is honestly pretty funny. Also didn’t say no one could touch him I pretty much said with a combination of size and a good RB Earlham is a pretty safe bet against pretty much every class A team this year besides the likes of WH and SA. Your pretty sensitive buddy. And my reference to small teams is that there linemen aren’t very big so they have to load the box up to compete with Britt. Hence why they have success passing but they don’t pass much. Off of RB screens and quick passes to the tight end. If Britt plays against an evenly sized team we’ll see what happens we haven’t seen it yet and I don’t know if it will happen but I think they will fair a better chance.

If they CAN throw like you say ( I don’t believe it since they never have been able to and stats say otherwise this year yet a gain) then I am very surprised that Sanger has not thrown the ball more just for the sheer practice reps. Same thing happens every year most the time with strictly run teams, they stall out in the dome. Figured he would have learned this so many years on the job and use these games, since they know they can pound the ball with ease, to actually practice throwing the ball. With that said I wouldn’t think he would do that with how successful he has been so it think they just can’t throw it like years past. Guess we will see

If they CAN throw like you say ( I don’t believe it since they never have been able to and stats say otherwise this year yet a gain) then I am very surprised that Sanger has not thrown the ball more just for the sheer practice reps. Same thing happens every year most the time with strictly run teams, they stall out in the dome. Figured he would have learned this so many years on the job and use these games, since they know they can pound the ball with ease, to actually practice throwing the ball. With that said I wouldn’t think he would do that with how successful he has been so it think they just can’t throw it like years past. Guess we will see
Good luck on the playoffs...

All this arguing about whether these teams can throw the ball is pretty dumb IMHO. In class A, you usually put your best athlete at half back/fullback. Rarely would you put them at the WR position. In the case for West Hancock, if you put Joe Smith on say, a 4A pass first team, he would be a WR no questions asked (or possibly a tight end). If West Hancock was a passing team, which they are not, they would move Smith to wideout and move Kelly to slot receiver. And they would probably be pretty great

Reactions: D3vilDog
All this arguing about whether these teams can throw the ball is pretty dumb IMHO. In class A, you usually put your best athlete at half back/fullback. Rarely would you put them at the WR position. In the case for West Hancock, if you put Joe Smith on say, a 4A pass first team, he would be a WR no questions asked (or possibly a tight end). If West Hancock was a passing team, which they are not, they would move Smith to wideout and move Kelly to slot receiver. And they would probably be pretty great
Lol that simple to throw the ball and run the spread you think huh? Come on.

Lol that simple to throw the ball and run the spread you think huh? Come on.
If you have the athletes and the quarterback for it, yeah it would be pretty easy. They have the athletes, don’t know as much about the quarterback however. Same applies to a power running game. If you don’t have the line and backs for it, your not going to be successful

If you have the athletes and the quarterback for it, yeah it would be pretty easy. They have the athletes, don’t know as much about the quarterback however. Same applies to a power running game. If you don’t have the line and backs for it, your not going to be successful
More to the spread than having the right Players. That is just the tip of the iceberg IMO. Believe me, going from a running school n switching to spread. Tough offense to perfect. Have to have the right personnel to do it and hard to believe they do. Amazing head man britt has but don’t think you teaching a old dog new tricks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT