Who will have the better 2019 season?

• West Branch

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Regina

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some are labeling this "The Civil War"

I've heard that, and can only hope Aaron Scheinblum doesn't get a hold of that or he'll show up to cover the game dressed as General Lee.

Why did they have to send him? ANYBODY else! get John Campbell to suit up for the night...heck just have him send one of his fish, That would be better than A Shein.

Btw, the correct answer to the poll question at the beginning of this thread was Regina.
Myself and one other person got it correct.

To recap:
With Regina’s big win over West Branch last night, Regina has reached the UNI Dome 9 out of the last 10 seasons, including 6 State Championships.
In comparison, West Branch has reached the UNI Dome once in the last 10 years, without a Championship or a win on the turf.

:D:rolleyes:
To recap:
With Regina’s big win over West Branch last night, Regina has reached the UNI Dome 9 out of the last 10 seasons, including 6 State Championships.
In comparison, West Branch has reached the UNI Dome once in the last 10 years, without a Championship or a win on the turf.

I got to be honest, as neither a fan of West Branch or Regina, I’ve lost a lot of respect for West Branch. This should have been a easy win in a easy bracket. Regina was 2nd place in their district. All the past whining and then your given a golden opportunity but go on to lay an egg?!?!?!brutal!!! It’s time to understand your place, and it’s not in the top tier of 1a teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinehawk
I got to be honest, as neither a fan of West Branch or Regina, I’ve lost a lot of respect for West Branch. This should have been a easy win in a easy bracket. Regina was 2nd place in their district. All the past whining and then your given a golden opportunity but go on to lay an egg?!?!?!brutal!!! It’s time to understand your place, and it’s not in the top tier of 1a teams.

Regina's two losses were to Xavier and Dike-New Hartford. No disgrace losing to Regina. Doubt there are many 1A teams that would have handled either one of those two teams. Both West Branch and Regina competed hard, and it was an excellent game to watch. My team lost, I wish Regina well and hope they prove the naysayers wrong with a win Friday.

Reactions: ISUfan00
West Branch puts a current players parent on the IHSAA Board of Control to make sure they continue to pull the strings...

Board of Control updates ahead of 2020
An election, an appointment, and annual position changes has shuffled the Board of Control’s arrangement as 2019 comes to a close. The moves bring two new school leaders on to the board as detailed below.

• Central Lee superintendent Andy Crozier was elected as the Southeast District’s representative in October. He is replacing Oskaloosa superintendent Paula Wright and attended his first meeting Thursday.
  • Amanda Whaley from West Branch is joining the Board of Control as an appointee from the Iowa Association of School Boards. Whaley will replace Greg Dockum, who recently concluded an eight-year run on Johnston’s school board and served on the Board of Control since 2017. Dockum was the IASB representative for the final time Thursday.

In all honesty you can hand Regina the state title right now for the next 2 years in Class A. It’s gonna be scary the scores their going to put up.

The classification is only for 2020.
That's the way I read it too at first, but then re-read and it appears to say that the arrangement for 4A is a one year classification.

That's extra confusing, because if they move 4A back to 48, what are they going to do with the lower classes? I would think the shifts would all have to cascade. Maybe what they meant is that how they pick playoffs in 4A is just for one year, so they have the 40 one way or the other and therefore the other classes are set too?

That's the way I read it too at first, but then re-read and it appears to say that the arrangement for 4A is a one year classification.

That's extra confusing, because if they move 4A back to 48, what are they going to do with the lower classes? I would think the shifts would all have to cascade. Maybe what they meant is that how they pick playoffs in 4A is just for one year, so they have the 40 one way or the other and therefore the other classes are set too?
The classifications are 1 year for everyone.

Time to retire this thread...and for you & Pine to move to the Class A forum. Buh-bye

It’s been a pleasure, but like a bad penny I probably won’t go away. I have a tendency to call people out on their bs, and to show others why it is bs. Should be interesting to watch the activity spike that is coming now that a thread like this has been deemed ready to retire by you.

Reactions: Pinehawk
West Branch puts a current players parent on the IHSAA Board of Control to make sure they continue to pull the strings...

• Amanda Whaley from West Branch is joining the Board of Control as an appointee from the Iowa Association of School Boards. Whaley will replace Greg Dockum, who recently concluded an eight-year run on Johnston’s school board and served on the Board of Control since 2017. Dockum was the IASB representative for the final time Thursday.

Might want to check the roster.

In fact, check every roster since who knows when. There has not been anybody with that name on a Bear roster since maybe the 1970's.

Her husband is a pastor in WB. Thought a good Catholic guy like you would've done some research.

In all honesty you can hand Regina the state title right now for the next 2 years in Class A. It’s gonna be scary the scores their going to put up.

Two years?

2020, yes
2021, unless they up their recruiting budget and bring in more kids from Prairie, they won't even be in the discussion.

Might want to check the roster.

In fact, check every roster since who knows when. There has not been anybody with that name on a Bear roster since maybe the 1970's.

Her husband is a pastor in WB. Thought a good Catholic guy like you would've done some research.

Look who is back.
Pastors don't have wives in the Catholic church.

And, there most certainly is a Whaley on a Bear roster.
3/3 Matt Whaley SR 5-11

http://quikstatsiowa.com/Public/Bas...2eb42&IDTeam=h201910221208508005773f4d85d984f

Matt Whaley is a senior basketball player for West Branch. His mom was appointed this year. Matt has never played football and I think that was what he was referring to when he asked the guy to check the roster.

Reactions: BlameIt
Matt Whaley is a senior basketball player for West Branch. His mom was appointed this year. Matt has never played football and I think that was what he was referring to when he asked the guy to check the roster.

So, exactly what I said. That West Branch put a current players mom of the IHSAA Board of Control.

Well, Regina will continue their tradition of 'playing up' during the non-district and West Branch will continue their tradition of 'playing down'.
Sounds about right.

Well, Regina will continue their tradition of 'playing up' during the non-district and West Branch will continue their tradition of 'playing down'.
Sounds about right.

West Branch hasn't played an opponent from Class since 2015 (Lisbon). In fact, the Bears played a 3A opponent for (4) consecutive seasons.

2018-2019, WB played three 2A opponents and one 1A opponent during the ND schedule.

2016-2017, WB played one each from 1A, 2A, and 3A
2014-2015, WB played Lisbon (an A) but also a 3A (West Burlington Notre Dame) and a 2A in West Liberty.

Before 2012, it didn't play 'down' as you say, other than during the EIHC conference slate from 1992 and before. And nobody had a choice at that point.

But, thanks for making an effort again. Keep trying. Sooner or later the facts will work in your favor when you try to bash or mislabel WB and its student-athletes.

As for 2020, I can guarantee the only reason the Bears are "playing down" against Regina is that the IHSAA put them on the schedule. I know one team that didn't ask to play the other.

I am all for the WB v Regina game. It is a great game between great programs. It is also wonderful for the Boosters of each team at the concession stand as well as the athletics department at the ticket taking stations.

Reactions: Sarge-82
Williamsburg got put on your schedule the last two years. Otherwise, a traditionally bad West Liberty was the big school that West Branch scheduled. Beside that, it was a lot of Jesup, Maq Valley, and West Burlington among others.
Of which nearly all of them had losing records. So, yeah, WB has been 'playing down' in the non-district.
Maybe that's why the State finally gave them a challenging non-district match up.
Compare those non-district schedules Regina playing: Solon, Xavier, Pella Christian, Cascade, West Liberty, Williamsburg and more.

Williamsburg got put on your schedule the last two years.

giphy.gif

Williamsburg and WB agreed to play one another.

But, given you know WBFB better than I do, Pinehawk, I'll assume I'm preaching to the choir on this one.

Reactions: ISUfan00
Love to see Blame back and make Pinehawk look silly. When Pinehawk claims to be “in the know “ so much about WBFB. Guy is obsessed with WBFB

Hey, another WB Bear has emerged from hibernation after disappearing for the last 5 months after the big playoff loss.
Nm....

Last edited:
Hey, another WB Bear has emerged from hibernation after disappearing for the last 5 months after the big playoff loss.
Nm....

It is eerily similar to the two college teams to the west of Iowa City, undefeated each off season

We should probably have a recent history recap in this thread, since it was made for Regina vs. West Branch discussion.
With Regina's road playoff win over West Branch last fall, that makes it 15 years since West Branch has beaten Regina in football.

Regina went to West Branch in 2005 and lost 13-10.
West Branch visited Regina in 2006 and lost 28-21.
Regina went to West Branch in 2007 and won 41-7.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2008.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2009.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2010.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2011
Regina went to West Branch in 2012 and won 15-13.
West Branch visited Regina in 2013 and lost 41-16.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2014.
West Branch visited Regina in 2015 and lost 35-28 (playoffs).
West Branch visited Regina in 2016 and lost 49-15 (playoffs).
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2017.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2018.
Regina went to West Branch and won 30-20 (playoffs).

Nm....
It’s called “having a life & working”; we don’t have Regina luxuries, like writing $250K checks for indoor practice facilities or hosting “foreign exchange students” for 2+ years...#hypocrites

Reactions: BlameIt
It’s called “having a life & working”; we don’t have Regina luxuries, like writing $250K checks for indoor practice facilities or hosting “foreign exchange students” for 2+ years...#hypocrites

Or getting 12 City High transfers at a Class A school

Reactions: GitRDone_51
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT