WB/Regina

Who will have the better 2019 season?

• West Branch

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Regina

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can name about 40 of them for the 2019 season.

40 transfers? That’s a lot. Recruits than you are correct. Blame played on the edge a little bit with his 100% claim. Giese lives or lived? Koenigs moved when? Finnegans OE.
They have had more impact ‘new’ players than most. Spin the how’s and why’s all you want.
Fairly certain I have met blame and drank in the same place, WB probably as well. Did I hear a story that Butch was pretty celebratory at Herbs one night when one of the transfers broke a track record held by a coach to the west of WB? Great to celebrate the current but to do it in a way that disrespected the previous record holder? Not how I would want my leader to act. A heaper for this meeting.

Reactions: Pinehawk
The finnegans attended WB all 13 years. Each.

Give me a flipping break with this stuff, man.

You are now the Fonz jumping the Shark.

Here's the deal: I have nothing against the people at the school or the kids. I take offense to people like you and CID who continue to bring this crap up when you know it's a foxhole you can't get out of.

Every single private school kid is a transfer/open enrollee. Every. Single. One.

WB has done nothing illegal. Period. Public schools are subject to a bit more scrutiny than privates when it comes to district lines. Having an apartment that is empty or a PO Box doesn't pass through customs.

I am officially done with you fellas.
Say hi CID since you evidently know who I am and have seen me.

Blame: it's time to join you in the cheap seats. Keep a Coca Cola cold for me.

Last edited:
You argue semantics over kids who've been in school since kindergarten in most cases. We point out specific instances of sports related high school transfers. People can see for themselves what is going on at West Branch.

Here's the deal: I have nothing against the people at the school or the kids. I take offense to people like you and CID who continue to bring this crap up when you know it's a foxhole you can't get out of.

Every single private school kid is a transfer/open enrollee. Every. Single. One.

WB has done nothing illegal. Period. Public schools are subject to a bit more scrutiny than privates when it comes to district lines. Having an apartment that is empty or a PO Box doesn't pass through customs.

I am officially done with you fellas.
Say hi CID since you evidently know who I am and have seen me.

Blame: it's time to join you in the cheap seats. Keep a Coca Cola cold for me.

I don’t know who you are but I am in WB with their fans, current and former coaches fairly frequently. The challenge that I have is to either
A. Sit back and ignore comments about the school I support that are either, ill informed, uneducated, closed minded, jealous or flat out lies. Comments that diminish the accomplishments of hard working talented kids.
B. Respond to the comments and get into mud slinging.

I have chosen B. Key word in B is ‘respond’. Very rarely if ever have I been the person to initiate the subject. I choose to respond to some of the garbage that is spewed on here. If I am incorrect on the items that I present than let me know and I will retract and apologize. I am not sure that I have been called on the facts of the items I type about. There have been spins, explanations, rationalizing, etc. but few if any substantiated ‘wrong’ items.

I also haven’t claimed ‘illegal’ anywhere, that’s you pitching a little fit and making garbage up. Obviously there is scrutiny and obviously they pass. I don’t think it makes it right and you know as well as I do that some of these situations live in the gray area. Certain information is out there that doesn’t support the word play. ‘Lived’ is different than owning a home in the other city that is owner occupied and was never sold and the family maintains that as their current address. Going to school for 13 years has what impact on whether a kid is OE or not. Either they are or they aren’t and word play doesn’t change that. Maybe you should chastise your fellow Bear supporters who started this subject when Regina started to roll. The garbage that was thrown out then is what keeps me going. Cast enough stones and they will be picked up and thrown back at you when those tactics appear to be used by your school. Tough break. FYI I am a fan of the Heaper but I would pick Pepsi over Coke.

CID, your buddy PineHawk was the one who inferred WB is performing "illegal" action. That's what WBBF was eluding to, I think.

Listen both sides need to stop and grow up. I sit here and read this stuff and keep quiet. I am from WB, played football(before Regina’s Rise to Power). I hated Regina in HS just as I’m sure Regina kids my age hated WB. It was a fun rivalry. Then I graduated went to college and met some of these Regina kids who I played against for 4 years. Ya know what I found out? Some of these guys are pretty cool guys. That actually became good friends and even had many good times with DT Iowa City. It’s the outside folks or parents or this message board that keep this “recruiting” drama still going. Stop already this goes on everywhere in HS sports. It isn’t recruiting, it’s just life. Unless a kid is getting paid money himself or his family is. That is a different and legal system matter. Guys just enjoy this great rivalry, if you have lived it and got a chance to play in it. There’s nothing like it. Best in the state. Wish they played every year.

Listen both sides need to stop and grow up. I sit here and read this stuff and keep quiet. I am from WB, played football(before Regina’s Rise to Power). I hated Regina in HS just as I’m sure Regina kids my age hated WB. It was a fun rivalry. Then I graduated went to college and met some of these Regina kids who I played against for 4 years. Ya know what I found out? Some of these guys are pretty cool guys. That actually became good friends and even had many good times with DT Iowa City. It’s the outside folks or parents or this message board that keep this “recruiting” drama still going. Stop already this goes on everywhere in HS sports. It isn’t recruiting, it’s just life. Unless a kid is getting paid money himself or his family is. That is a different and legal system matter. Guys just enjoy this great rivalry, if you have lived it and got a chance to play in it. There’s nothing like it. Best in the state. Wish they played every year.

Good post. I am old so there is a certain amount of perspective. I know in dsm and at wrestling meets I spent more time with WB parents than I did Regina parents. I know in high school we didn’t dislike WB, rarely played them in anything, had fun playing in summer league together. We knew they were good and had great athletes but we worried about LinMar, Prairie, LaSalle, Benton and Beckmann. The guys I knew from back then never expressed dislike for Regina and we never had any issues. I moved away for 20 years and when I returned I learned that WB hated Regina and vice versa. Still hung out with WB fans and never had an issue. I realize that it’s a vocal minority on this board who keep this going on both sides. I try hard to not be an instigator here but I also didn’t and won’t sit quietly by if inaccurate things are being represented. I am open to hearing where I have been factually inaccurate in my posts and I am glad I haven’t gone after kids, especially legendary performers for my school who went and trained at another school. Honestly I am not that emotionally invested in this thing. In life it means little. It’s kids playing games, to assign more to it than that isn’t my goal. I do however have an issue with hypocrisy and posts that are fueled by emotion and veer away from honesty. In life I operate with the ‘don’t poke the bear’ approach. On this board I am a responder, not an instigator. That said when involved I will stir when garbage gets going.

Bottom line: stop responding to posts and adding fuel to the fire. Eventually each will stop before there’s no one to argue with.

Any coaching news out of WB this week?
Coach Pedersen is serving a 1 game suspension for getting 2 unsportmanlike penalties. He argued a call that negated a TD towards the end of the first half. Illegal man downfield. Ball was caught 2yds behind the LOS.

If that is true re: Butch, I would be upset as well.
You teach kids to do it the right way and they do. Yet they are penalized. Yikes.

If that is true re: Butch, I would be upset as well.
You teach kids to do it the right way and they do. Yet they are penalized. Yikes.

It took two penalties to be ejected. Not a great example to set for the parents and kids.

Were you at the game?

If not you have no idea what was said.

Nor did you know the head referee personally called Coach Pedersen to apologize and say that they missed the call.

That takes cojones. Commend him for it

Reactions: ISUfan00
Calls get missed. How people respond to adversity shows their true character.

Two unsportsmanlike conduct calls? Catholic insults?

Well, hope Butch enjoys his suspension.

"You yelled at us, Coach"

"No, I was talking to my kids"

*flag thrown*

I guess that's bad character in your catholic mind.

Were you on the call with Butch when the head referee called?
If not then you have no idea what was said.

Was that the first one or the second one? Officials have rabbit ears when they make mistakes. Having been on sidelines and listened to what is said he must have gone well past the normal Butch dialogue because that cat has been bullying officials for a long time.
FYI officials do admit that they missed calls. Missed calls don’t usually lead to a suspension. Defend all you want, it’s a bad look.

Calls get missed. How people respond to adversity shows their true character.
Character also gets shown when you stand up for what’s right and true. I don’t know how it went down or what was said, but if the ref did call him and say they missed then sounds like he was right. Was his approach right? I don’t know that, but coaches can’t always just sit back and let mistakes go by. But they do need to handle it well.

Maybe after the first unsportsmanlike conduct flag, you get yourself under control and not embarrass yourself and your school.
He couldn't do that I guess.

Coach apologized to the team, the administration, the fans, and the officials on Friday.

I was there. Right there. WBBFs report is 100% accurate.

The Bears will show up this Friday and play. Coach will serve his suspension. Lesson learned. We should all move on.

WB has Wapello, Regina has Anamosa. Best wishes to everyone.

You were on the call with the referee? Butch take that call on speakerphone? That would annoy me if I was calling to apologize to an individual. The first unsportsmanlike I understand, the second is where the ???’s should start. Bad look. The ‘nothing to see here’ is interesting. Would it be the same if it were other coaches that did this?

The only things I care about Regina football are that the kids stay healthy and what the score is at the end of the game.

I wouldn't say a word.

So now you are questioning whether or not the coach was called by the official?

You two guys are beyond ridiculous and a waste of my time. You questions everything regarding WB, good or bad.

I'm done wasting my time with you

The only things I care about Regina football are that the kids stay healthy and what the score is at the end of the game.

I wouldn't say a word.

So now you are questioning whether or not the coach was called by the official?

You two guys are beyond ridiculous and a waste of my time. You questions everything regarding WB, good or bad.

I'm done wasting my time with you

I want to make sure I understand. If I wasn’t at the game I don’t know what was said and it is impossible for me to understand. Got that. There is a claim that the official called and apologized. I said that unless you were on the call than you can’t know what was said and you couldn’t understand.
Quick question, do you recognize that tactic and method of questioning? If not buy a mirror or review your posts.

As far as being ridiculous feel free to go back and thank your bear supporters for the tactics that started this process years ago. The approach being utilized now is eerily similar to days gone by.

To dismiss the coaches behavior and minimize it is rather comical. Resorting to the ‘I am taking my ball and going home’ when your tactic is turned back on you is equally chuckle worthy.

The head coach of a ranked team being ejected from the first game of the season and suspended for a game is big news. And, it especially is news that fits in a current thread featuring West Branch.
Sorry if you didn’t want to talk about it, but it’s a fair topic.
That being said, I think we’ve covered it.

This is high school sports in small town Iowa. There are bigger worries in life.

Everyone here can't let this stuff go, despite you all claiming to want to end this discussion. Yet, you keep poking and digging to rile each other up. Grow up. I understand trying to set the record straight and challenge incorrect perceptions but just stop.

Reactions: GitRDone_51
lol...thread was dead for over a week and somebody felt the need to revive it...just to say stop it...

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT