WB/Regina

Who will have the better 2019 season?

• West Branch

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Regina

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Seven miles a part and haven't played during the regular season for how many years now? Only see each other in the playoffs. IH$AA refuses to put them in the same district. Missing out on a huge gate each year.

Seven miles a part and haven't played during the regular season for how many years now? Only see each other in the playoffs. IH$AA refuses to put them in the same district. Missing out on a huge gate each year.

Butch doesn't want to play Regina and he has friends in high places.
But, this might be the year he feels comfortable enough to take on Regina in the playoffs. I hope it happens.

West Branch hasn't beaten Regina since 2005. 14 years ago.

They last met in the reg season in 2012.
IF both are great programs I see the logic of keeping them out of the same district - you want the better team to win in the playoffs, not knock out in district. But, whether it's ND or district, these two really should match up regular season. But there's too much bad blood. It's a shame. Both programs have history and lots to be proud of. You'd think they'd want to give the kids the chance to square up and go after it. But parents/coaches "feelings" and history gets in the way. If everyone can't behave like adults, it's probably better they don't meet.

They last met in the reg season in 2012.
IF both are great programs I see the logic of keeping them out of the same district - you want the better team to win in the playoffs, not knock out in district. But, whether it's ND or district, these two really should match up regular season. But there's too much bad blood. It's a shame. Both programs have history and lots to be proud of. You'd think they'd want to give the kids the chance to square up and go after it. But parents/coaches "feelings" and history gets in the way. If everyone can't behave like adults, it's probably better they don't meet.

I think districts should strictly be for arranging teams by location. West Branch and Regina should be in the same district IMO. D1 has had multiple top 10 teams in it for years. They have never separated West Lyon, Western Christian, West Sioux, Emmetsburg, or even Hinton years back.

Reactions: rkhemp
I think districts should strictly be for arranging teams by location. West Branch and Regina should be in the same district IMO. D1 has had multiple top 10 teams in it for years. They have never separated West Lyon, Western Christian, West Sioux, Emmetsburg, or even Hinton years back.
If that's the case then districts essentially become conferences and become static entities. I think there is value in shaking up the districts, as the state did for these past two years. It prevents the same school being king of the district and the same school staying the doormat for perpetuity. The thing you can't tell is who is going to emerge. So, I think the state tries to spread the top programs out, geographically, then adds the next tier etc until they get all the schools districted. It's certainly not close geography with school routinely travelling over 2 hours for district play. So, I see the logic of trying to keep WB and Regina split IF they are both going to continue to be powerhouse programs. Regina had a down year last year, this year is still being determined. IF they would happen to be down again, that would look like a trend and they could become that second tier that the state could logically pair up in a district with WB.

Frankly, going back to the RPI discussions here from last year - I'd like to see a one or two game exclusion from the RPI, so you could schedule rivalry or stretch games, without worrying about it impacting playoffs. Those things can be good for programs and the state should be supporting what's good for the programs.

If that's the case then districts essentially become conferences and become static entities. I think there is value in shaking up the districts, as the state did for these past two years. It prevents the same school being king of the district and the same school staying the doormat for perpetuity. The thing you can't tell is who is going to emerge. So, I think the state tries to spread the top programs out, geographically, then adds the next tier etc until they get all the schools districted. It's certainly not close geography with school routinely travelling over 2 hours for district play. So, I see the logic of trying to keep WB and Regina split IF they are both going to continue to be powerhouse programs. Regina had a down year last year, this year is still being determined. IF they would happen to be down again, that would look like a trend and they could become that second tier that the state could logically pair up in a district with WB.

Frankly, going back to the RPI discussions here from last year - I'd like to see a one or two game exclusion from the RPI, so you could schedule rivalry or stretch games, without worrying about it impacting playoffs. Those things can be good for programs and the state should be supporting what's good for the programs.

How does the state pick who they split up? Why split up Regina and West Branch over West Sioux and West Lyon?

Geography is consistent and fair.

To me, I don't want the state to dictate who make the playoffs or who has a better chance to make the playoffs. Teams should do that by beating the teams in front of them. It's kind of like this RPI system that uses non-district games chosen by the state.

Reactions: rkhemp
With this current playoff set up I can see the splitting of teams for districts. Prior to that, when so many teams made the playoffs there wasn’t a logical reading to split them. The fact that one team got sent quite a bit further regularly was interesting. No idea how those things were decided. Out west is there enough teams to split those top teams up and not have 3+ hour trips?

With this current playoff set up I can see the splitting of teams for districts. Prior to that, when so many teams made the playoffs there wasn’t a logical reading to split them. The fact that one team got sent quite a bit further regularly was interesting. No idea how those things were decided. Out west is there enough teams to split those top teams up and not have 3+ hour trips?

If Western, WL, and West Sioux all make it, I’d imagine an early matchup in the playoffs. Unless the third team of those three if they did get three travels to play Treynor or Underwood, and the runner up in district one travels to SSC or something...otherwise there isn’t much up in that part for them to not play one another in the first round

Butch doesn't want to play Regina and he has friends in high places.
But, this might be the year he feels comfortable enough to take on Regina in the playoffs. I hope it happens.

West Branch hasn't beaten Regina since 2005. 14 years ago.

Not many teams have beaten Regina the last 14 years. Hopefully the Regals make the playoffs. They may need the big guy and some friends in high places to get there. I think Butch feels comfortable this year.

Regals with a tough come from behind victory. Williamsburg had the ball on their own 5, 34 seconds left in a 35-35 game, OT seemed imminent but a fumble and a Regal score give the Regals a 42-35 victory.

Regals with a tough come from behind victory. Williamsburg had the ball on their own 5, 34 seconds left in a 35-35 game, OT seemed imminent but a fumble and a Regal score give the Regals a 42-35 victory.

It was an incredible game. Regina came storming back in the 4th quarter to get the big win. Impressive poise on their final three possessions to pull it out with a big TD with 6 seconds left.
Wetjen for Williamsburg had a big game. But Cook and Wick kept grinding and got it done. Very impressive win in a highly entertaining game.

USF the difference in NW Iowa and Eastern Iowa as it pertains to Class 1A availability is vast. Far more teams to choose from and separate near IC/CR than Siouxland

Not many teams have beaten Regina the last 14 years. Hopefully the Regals make the playoffs. They may need the big guy and some friends in high places to get there. I think Butch feels comfortable this year.
Regina has had the luxury of playing 1a football during that span so the level of competition has been a step down. Let’s don’t forget that little “fun fact”!

Well, except they’ve been playing teams like Xavier, Solon, Williamsburg, Pella Christian, Cascade, North Fayette Valley, West Liberty, West Branch, DNH, Western Christian, Hudson, St. Alberts, and other top quality teams and programs over that time period (which included a brief period in 2A).
They have traditionally challenged themselves with their schedule. That is a fact.
So is the fact that winning 6 consecutive State Championships is extremely difficult and had never been done before.

Well, except they’ve been playing teams like Xavier, Solon, Williamsburg, Pella Christian, Cascade, North Fayette Valley, West Liberty, West Branch, DNH, Western Christian, Hudson, St. Alberts, and other top quality teams and programs over that time period (which included a brief period in 2A).
They have traditionally challenged themselves with their schedule. That is a fact.
So is the fact that winning 6 consecutive State Championships is extremely difficult and had never been done before.

There was that one year where they won 2A while also beating the 3A state champion. But those were just details

Completely irrelevant as they not only aren’t in their district but several mentioned aren’t in 1A so aren’t relevant to my point

Reactions: WBBearsFollower
Completely irrelevant as they not only aren’t in their district but several mentioned aren’t in 1A so aren’t relevant to my point
Iowa12, not sure what you are getting at. Several Regina titles were won in 1A, that is where the state put them. I know one at least one, if not more, of their titles were actually at the 2A level (beat Spirit Lake who became a 3A team). Playing, and winning, against the likes of Xavier and Solon is no small task. The pack may have caught up to Regina or Regina has dropped back with the pack but throughout the years, they have proven themselves on any level.

Really wanted to see them play Mepo in 2012 (state runner-up year when Ertz got hurt). Heard Mepo put them at the top of the list for non-district but didn’t get them. Not sure why the state wouldn’t have done it.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Really wanted to see them play Mepo in 2012 (state runner-up year when Ertz got hurt). Heard Mepo put them at the top of the list for non-district but didn’t get them. Not sure why the state wouldn’t have done it.

They did play each other in the 2011-12 season with Regina winning 56-27 in Mediapolis. Ertz was a junior.
Played in 2010-11 as well.

Iowa12, not sure what you are getting at. Several Regina titles were won in 1A, that is where the state put them. I know one at least one, if not more, of their titles were actually at the 2A level (beat Spirit Lake who became a 3A team). Playing, and winning, against the likes of Xavier and Solon is no small task. The pack may have caught up to Regina or Regina has dropped back with the pack but throughout the years, they have proven themselves on any level.
Exactly what I said. That it’s a joke they sit in a populated area, recruit, have a much larger percentage of students in sports than other schools, pay for coaches and resources significantly higher than all the rest, facilities and slink back into 1a football. Save me the non district matchups as that’s irrelevant. They don’t play them in the postseason. Save me the teams they’ve played in the past to make your story better and save me the 2a talk because they aren’t playing 2a. Bottom line is that the resources and all the other significant advantages mentioned give them huge benefits over other 1a schools. More power to the state for their efforts in trying to acknowledge the imbalance that has went on for years. If it goes through, we’ll see how mighty regina fares

Exactly what I said. That it’s a joke they sit in a populated area, recruit, have a much larger percentage of students in sports than other schools, pay for coaches and resources significantly higher than all the rest, facilities and slink back into 1a football. Save me the non district matchups as that’s irrelevant. They don’t play them in the postseason. Save me the teams they’ve played in the past to make your story better and save me the 2a talk because they aren’t playing 2a. Bottom line is that the resources and all the other significant advantages mentioned give them huge benefits over other 1a schools. More power to the state for their efforts in trying to acknowledge the imbalance that has went on for years. If it goes through, we’ll see how mighty regina fares

Their coaches make significantly less than their peers. Still waiting for them to pass that bond issue to catch up with the other schools in the other area as far as schools and facilities. They must be great recruiters, they get to convince kids to come to a smaller school, play on a smaller stage, play in lesser facilities, have less academic opportunities and for all of that pay thousands every year. Perhaps these parents/kids pick schools like Regina so they get to avoid the ‘poor me, I wasn’t good enough, make it easier for me’ type of person that you appear to be.

"Their coaches make significantly less than their peers."

I have some oceanfront property in Arizona that might suit your needs, CID.

"Their coaches make significantly less than their peers."

I have some oceanfront property in Arizona that might suit your needs, CID.

Hmmm.... wonder who would have more insights on what coaches make...... wondering..... heck it must be you, a successful real estate guy who can sell oceanfront property in Arizona must be an expert..... or not.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Which Regina team beat you?
Completely irrelevant to the discussion. Like always, you try to steer this away from the issue. Other states make the parochials play up in class as they acknowledge the unfairness. We’ll see if backwards Iowa gets up to speed with the rest of the country like they are talking

Their coaches make significantly less than their peers. Still waiting for them to pass that bond issue to catch up with the other schools in the other area as far as schools and facilities. They must be great recruiters, they get to convince kids to come to a smaller school, play on a smaller stage, play in lesser facilities, have less academic opportunities and for all of that pay thousands every year. Perhaps these parents/kids pick schools like Regina so they get to avoid the ‘poor me, I wasn’t good enough, make it easier for me’ type of person that you appear to be.

Smaller stage? They play in Iowa City. Correct? And word has it they now have an indoor facility of some sort. Multi mill i heard. I wonder if west liberty has one of those (whoops, i see they play in 2a. Sorry!). Now that I think of it, do any schools have one in any class? I don’t think so. Point is proven based on that alone

Smaller stage? They play in Iowa City. Correct? And word has it they now have an indoor facility of some sort. Multi mill i heard. I wonder if west liberty has one of those (whoops, i see they play in 2a. Sorry!). Now that I think of it, do any schools have one in any class? I don’t think so. Point is proven based on that alone

Mid-Prairie, West Branch all have indoor facility’s. Sorry to burst your bubble. Probably others to I’m unaware of. And I’m not a Regina supporter or fan by any means. Just respect what they accomplished.

Bottom line to me is, you can point fingers and make excuses or you can go out an do the work and win. If you take that in the perspective of Regina, Western Christian has done it, Van Meter did it, Pella Christian did it, DNH did it.

West Branch looks like it's a dome contender quality team this year. There are a lot of questions about Regina. Most notably, who learned more about the other last year DNH or Regina? And right now, a lot of those western teams look stronger on paper than these 3.

Seems to me, if you want to beat somebody, you just go out and work harder, work smarter and figure out how to build your program and win. If you want facilities go raise money and get what you want/need. It's not easy to build a program, but others have figured out how to do it.

Mid-Prairie, West Branch all have indoor facility’s. Sorry to burst your bubble. Probably others to I’m unaware of. And I’m not a Regina supporter or fan by any means. Just respect what they accomplished.

Ooops 12..... non Regina fans after you..... nice work on picking the wrong subject. To go back in time a bit....Regina, multi time state champion, has a home game, the other two Iowa City schools on the road, they have reporters follow them and report. Regina? Didn’t even make the Iowa City Press Citizen ‘other scores’ section. So, yes, smaller stage. Keep trying. Hopefully the mental images from either you or your kids losing are healing.

Ooops 12..... non Regina fans after you..... nice work on picking the wrong subject. To go back in time a bit....Regina, multi time state champion, has a home game, the other two Iowa City schools on the road, they have reporters follow them and report. Regina? Didn’t even make the Iowa City Press Citizen ‘other scores’ section. So, yes, smaller stage. Keep trying. Hopefully the mental images from either you or your kids losing are healing.
Keep playing in 1a and bragging about all your great accomplishments. Great for the kids no doubt. But don’t act like it’s something it isn’t. And don’t get me started on the indoor facility spin

Keep playing in 1a and bragging about all your great accomplishments. Great for the kids no doubt. But don’t act like it’s something it isn’t. And don’t get me started on the indoor facility spin

So you got nothing, keep rolling. Did your team lose that bad?

Lol 2a is hot garbage nowadays, the worst class (not counting 8 man) This dude talking down on class 1a but yet imo 1a has a higher number of quality teams. Very curious what school iowa12 supports. I got a class A school that will take you down a few pegs

Lol 2a is hot garbage nowadays, the worst class (not counting 8 man) This dude talking down on class 1a but yet imo 1a has a higher number of quality teams. Very curious what school iowa12 supports. I got a class A school that will take you down a few pegs

I would stay out of class A. I have heard that Regina is kicking a bunch of kids out of school so they can become financially insolvent and get down to Class A, guess they want athletic success more than staying open as a school. :)

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
I would stay out of class A. I have heard that Regina is kicking a bunch of kids out of school so they can become financially insolvent and get down to Class A, guess they want athletic success more than staying open as a school. :)
lol

WB doesn't practice FB in their multi purpose building. It isnt big enough for a full scale practice, let alone even a passing tree practice.

WB doesn't practice FB in their multi purpose building. It isnt big enough for a full scale practice, let alone even a passing tree practice.

FWIW, neither does Regina. The new weight room is in there. But, the indoor practice space is primarily for baseball and wrestling.
But, if people from other schools saw it, they would be jealous.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT